Tracking the #1 seed

Reaction score
This can be a big difference maker against a dome, or warm weather team, regardless of what people may think.
Absolutely. Our running game has not opened up fully. When January comes (inclement weather) running the ball efficiently becomes key.

In addition, power running in particular becomes paramount. Both Dillon and Jones are very physical runners. It’s more difficult to get traction to react to the cut a RB makes. We witnessed that against Tampa, had we not gotten behind early, we would’ve ran the ball down their throats. Dillon absolutely plowed over several very good Run Defense LBs including Devin for the tune of 6+ per carry against the SB Champs. Even 5 yards a carry would take its toll on any D

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tremendous 5 games roll the offense is on (since Rodgers' covid break). 12's been in 2020 form during that period. that toe, and the absence of Cobb, has almost transformed the O into what it was last year. the D's taken a hit with the Clark injury but still a good unit that can be counted on. special teams...well...uummm...never mind. sittin' pretty.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I’m trying to figure that out also.
WFT?

Also what Clark injury is Gary talking about? Is Clark injured other than missing 1 game for protocols?
Yeah no clue. I think Clark left the game early against The Chiefs, but other than that and the Ravens Covid game, he's been pretty healthy.

D

Deleted member 6794

I just don't think the Packers have much of a home field advantage in the playoffs, especially with a patchwork o line that is better at pass protection than run blocking. # 1 seed didn't help last season and in 2011.

I understand that fans want to bring up 2011 as evidence that a bye week doesn't help in the playoffs but since then 16 out of 18 teams which played in the Super Bowl had a first round bye.
We witnessed that against Tampa, had we not gotten behind early, we would’ve ran the ball down their throats. Dillon absolutely plowed over several very good Run Defense LBs including Devin for the tune of 6+ per carry against the SB Champs. Even 5 yards a carry would take its toll on any D

Just for the record, the Packers averaged 4.2 yards per carry against the Bucs in last year's NFCCG.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
tremendous 5 games roll the offense is on (since Rodgers' covid break). 12's been in 2020 form during that period. that toe, and the absence of Cobb, has almost transformed the O into what it was last year. the D's taken a hit with the Clark injury but still a good unit that can be counted on. special teams...well...uummm...never mind. sittin' pretty.
So never mind the 95 yards and TD that Cobb had against the Rams?
Funny thing about gary is that he can claim all kinds of nonsense regardless of whether or not it's actually true.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
With their loss to the Colts, I believe Cardinals have now been eliminated from #1 seed. Unless there is a tiebreaker to save them.
ETA: Rams replace them with the same record.

Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
The Browns came in hungry. They knew this was their playoffs. They are all but eliminated now.

That said. The Browns are a very dynamic team. They play to their opponent level. They are Good enough that they beat some good playoff caliber teams and went to the wire with a couple more. They could be a 6-9 or 9-6 type team. Not to be underestimated as slouches.

Also I think they match up well with our Defensive weakness. Our relative weakness on Defense is TE coverage and our Run Defense. That is their exact strength. They came in with everything they had… it wasn’t enough

D

Deleted member 6794

With their loss to the Colts, I believe Cardinals have now been eliminated from #1 seed. Unless there is a tiebreaker to save them.

There's still a small chance for the Cardinals to secure the #1 seed in a three-way tie with the Packers and Bucs based on strength of victory but it's not a realistic one to happen.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand that fans want to bring up 2011 as evidence that a bye week doesn't help in the playoffs but since then 16 out of 18 teams which played in the Super Bowl had a first round bye.

Just for the record, the Packers averaged 4.2 yards per carry against the Bucs in last year's NFCCG.
You proved my point that the Packers don't have much of a home field advantage in the playoffs. A first round bye has helped most teams get to the Super Bowl eccept for the Packers. Let's face it, this decimated team has won 4 close games that could just as easily have been a loss. They don't look like a championship team right now and I doubt home field will fix their problems on the offensive and defensive lines. Their injured players are just taking too long to get healthy in time.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Let's face it, this decimated team has won 4 close games that could just as easily have been a loss. They don't look like a championship team right now and I doubt home field will fix their problems on the offensive and defensive lines. Their injured players are just taking too long to get healthy in time.
I agree 100%. ...and I don't much like it - I don't see Alexander or Smith returning in the regular season...I don't see Smith returning at all (nor next season).

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Sorry, I think some years back home field advantage counted for something but an *** kicking is still an *** kicking no matter where it happens. This team needs to step up and just get the job done. We`ve done well so far, let`s keep it up.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You proved my point that the Packers don't have much of a home field advantage in the playoffs. A first round bye has helped most teams get to the Super Bowl eccept for the Packers. Let's face it, this decimated team has won 4 close games that could just as easily have been a loss. They don't look like a championship team right now and I doubt home field will fix their problems on the offensive and defensive lines. Their injured players are just taking too long to get healthy in time.
Actually, they are 7-0 at home this year, and likely to be 8-0. They should beat the Vikings in Lambeau Field. In the meantime, they are 4-3 on the road. That tells me they are a team that thrives on home field advantage, not to the contrary. Some of those wins have been against good teams, some against those who aren't as competitive.

That doesn't guarantee a win. Nothing does, except outscoring the opposition. It's the NFL, and when they say that anything can happen on any given Sunday, there's no doubt that's true. But still, there is an advantage to forcing teams to go through Lambeau Field if they want to make it to the big game.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You always prefer to play at home in the playoffs. Always.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, they are 7-0 at home this year, and likely to be 8-0. They should beat the Vikings in Lambeau Field. In the meantime, they are 4-3 on the road. That tells me they are a team that thrives on home field advantage, not to the contrary. Some of those wins have been against good teams, some against those who aren't as competitive.

That doesn't guarantee a win. Nothing does, except outscoring the opposition. It's the NFL, and when they say that anything can happen on any given Sunday, there's no doubt that's true. But still, there is an advantage to forcing teams to go through Lambeau Field if they want to make it to the big game.
Stop with the using facts in your argument. We don't need a rebel around here.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers should be the biggest Washington Football Team fans in the world today. If they beat the Cowboys, the Packers are a Vikings victory away from sewing up the #1 seed.

I've never been the biggest fan of extended rest, but this Packers team could definitely use not only the extra week provided by the bye itself, but also to rest some guys at Detroit.

I'll take the Packers at (close to) full strength in the divisional round with the risk of a little early game rust as opposed to a compromised Packers team without more of its best players available.

Additionally, it'll be another opportunity to get Love on the field before the many unknowns about how this offseason will go.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers should be the biggest Washington Football Team fans in the world today. If they beat the Cowboys, the Packers are a Vikings victory away from sewing up the #1 seed.

I've never been the biggest fan of extended rest, but this Packers team could definitely use not only the extra week provided by the bye itself, but also to rest some guys at Detroit.

I'll take the Packers at (close to) full strength in the divisional round with the risk of a little early game rust as opposed to a compromised Packers team without more of its best players available.
If WTF does pull it off, beating the Cowboys, I'm gonna be a happier than a young bull looking down the hill at a herd of fertile young heifers!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Rams-Vikings game today is an intriguing one as well. I think if the Vikings lose, they are all but eliminated from the playoffs and they come into Green Bay next week not that motivated. However, that means the Rams can still pass or tie us.

Vikings beating the Rams, all but eliminates the Rams from the top seed, but sends a very hungry team into Green Bay next week. Rams have a tough schedule after today Ravens and 49'ers. Vikings have us and Da Bears.

I think I am going to pull for the Rams to win, and take my chances with having to beat 2 teams (Vikings and Lions) that are thinking about vacation, to secure the #1 seed.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Rams-Vikings game today is an intriguing one as well. I think if the Vikings lose, they are all but eliminated from the playoffs and they come into Green Bay next week not that motivated. However, that means the Rams can still pass or tie us.

Vikings beating the Rams, all but eliminates the Rams from the top seed, but sends a very hungry team into Green Bay next week. Rams have a tough schedule after today Ravens and 49'ers. Vikings have us and Da Bears.

I think I am going to pull for the Rams to win, and take my chances with having to beat 2 teams (Vikings and Lions) that are thinking about vacation, to secure the #1 seed.
I almost agree with you on the Vikings visiting GB. The only thing is that the Packers will want a W to offset the loss in Minny. You don't lose two to your rivals. You win at home.

As far as the Lions, I think they have visions of a decent draft dancing in their head. By losing out, they get the #1 or #2 pick in the draft. It could be a very tradable commodity, or it could be a franchise type player they can grab. They need an edge rusher and I think there are probably 3 in the top 10 picks. Kayvon Thibodeaux and Aidan Hutchinson could go 1 & 2. Not that far back is George Karlaftis out of Purdue. The guy is a pocket buster! So, they could drop down to as far as the 10th pick and still get a high ROI. For a team down around #10 in picks, there would have to be a package/swap of picks beyond the first round to make it happen. If I was the Lions, I'd do it for the first, third, and fifth round picks. A chance to add realistically decent players in the third and fifth. They need several players to get where they want to go.