Tracking the #1 seed

Reaction score
Dude I want to drink whatever your glass is half full of. At this point I think we get 1 of those guys back at the most. 2 would be a godsend.
It’s quite possibly another month from the playoffs (2 regular season weeks and our bye :tup:)
I don’t think it’s a stretch at all to get more than 1 player off IR back. I think you’re going to be surprised in that we save some juice for money games, that’s what I’d do anyway.
I’m hoping I’m not alone in that logic MLF.
Maybe it’s being optimistic but it beats the alternative.

PS Stenavich said their philosophy with Bak was baby steps. They are being ultra careful in ramping him slowly
MLF said Myers surgery was unlikely season ending. His words not mine.
J’aire has already been practicing for several weeks.
Z is the only one I can’t figure out. They’re being cryptic with him. It’s my opinion they decided on playoffs only, just my opinion

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It’s quite possibly another month from the playoffs (2 regular season weeks and our bye :tup:)
I don’t think it’s a stretch at all to get more than 1 player off IR back. I think you’re going to be surprised in that we save some juice for money games, that’s what I’d do anyway.
I’m hoping I’m not alone in that logic MLF.
Maybe it’s being optimistic but it beats the alternative.

PS Stenavich said their philosophy with Bak was baby steps. They are being ultra careful in ramping him slowly
MLF said Myers surgery was unlikely season ending. His words not mine.
J’aire has already been practicing for several weeks.
Z is the only one I can’t figure out. They’re being cryptic with him
I really won't be surprised if we get everyone back, but then again, I won't be surprised if we get nobody back.

It has been pretty apparent that the Packers are winning without all these guys, so I don't think that its been a big rush to bring them back too early. Guessing the thought process is this "If we can get them back, have them back and ready to go by the first playoff game, that is our goal." That might mean different things for different players. Some might need a game to get ready, some might only need a practice or two. If they don't need a game, that means all these guys have almost another month (1/22 or 1/23-if we get a bye) to heal and get ready.

Reaction score
Just a thought. How would you like to be the opposing team coming into GB and seeing ZaDarius smiling on the sideline.
I really won't be surprised if we get everyone back, but then again, I won't be surprised if we get nobody back.

It has been pretty apparent that the Packers are winning without all these guys, so I don't think that its been a big rush to bring them back too early. Guessing the thought process is this "If we can get them back, have them back and ready to go by the first playoff game, that is our goal." That might mean different things for different players. Some might need a game to get ready, some might only need a practice or two. If they don't need a game, that means all these guys have almost another month (1/22 or 1/23-if we get a bye) to heal and get ready.
There is still a possibility that we see “most” of our IR players (other than known season ending level injuries) back this season.

From a Psychological perspective (for both teams). How would it look to see ZaDarius Smith, David Bakhtiari, Josh Meyers, Billy Turner and J’aire Alexander all suddenly suited up for GB? Any one of those is a blessing, but having 3? 4? It could get very interesting and very energizing for that sideline.

We can beat Minnesota with our backups as long as #12 is standing

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just a thought. How would you like to be the opposing team coming into GB and seeing ZaDarius smiling on the sideline.

There is still a possibility that we see “most” of our IR players (other than known season ending level injuries) back this season.

From a Psychological perspective (for both teams). How would it look to see ZaDarius Smith, David Bakhtiari, Josh Meyers, Billy Turner and J’aire Alexander all suddenly suited up for GB? Any one of those is a blessing, but having 3? 4? It could get very interesting and very energizing for that sideline.

We can beat Minnesota with our backups as long as #12 is standing
I think it gives the Packers a huge boost physically and mentally to get starters back, as well as the other team going "oh crap". Some say this season has been like 2019, but I am hoping its also a bit like 2010, when despite losing a ton of players, we still won the Super Bowl. All about peaking at the right time and lets hope for a peak!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF you can win while being ugly, there isn't much you cannot do if the ugliness ceases and we have seen countless stories in sports of that happening. There isn't a team in the league this team cannot beat, doesn't mean they will though - any given Sunday.

Reaction score
IF you can win while being ugly, there isn't much you cannot do if the ugliness ceases and we have seen countless stories in sports of that happening. There isn't a team in the league this team cannot beat, doesn't mean they will though - any given Sunday.
Interesting you should say that because there are six teams with playoff locks and another 18 more teams (24 combined teams alive)that are still in the playoff hunt. That is the first time that’s happened in 31 years.
What that speaks to me is you have a lot of good teams but very few if any great teams
I do think however we are between good and great

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just wanted to mention another perspective I haven’t seen addressed. If so, I apologize upfront. Maybe it’s also somewhat obvious but

GB finishes a #2 seed worst case if:GB Wins either of the next 2 contests. That is also good because worst case we would not see Dallas until a Championship match (they are on a tear) They'd have time to cool off.

GB finishes a #1 seed if GB Wins either of the final 2 AND Dallas loses either of the final 2 contests. Dallas is red hot, but they play 2 playoff caliber teams (Cardinals and Eagles) whereas we play 1 (Vikings)

I think it’s now a very strong possibility we win 1 minimum. That gives us a Wild card game at Lambeau and guarantees (if we advance) another Divisional at Lambeau.

If the Cowboys lose against Cardinals? (We will know before we ever kickoff) our Vikings game is for the Top Seed and if we Win? The final Lions contests has zero bearing on our 1st place Conference finish. Plus We would have 3 weeks to prepare for our first postseason game! We could play vanilla ball and use that game to get a better look at Love.

Obviously we all know that 2 Division teams stand in our way. In particular the Vikings would love to be a spoiler and they match up well with us. Yet MN gets us with Rashan and Aaron Jones and a home crowd this time. That is no small feat no matter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Could be. I think both the Packers and the Vikings will know just how important the game is before kick off, since the Steelers and Browns play on Monday night, all the NFC teams will have played.

The Vikings will definitely be ready to play as they won't be eliminated from playoff contention before playing the Packers.

Are they capable of winning the Super Bowl though? ;)

That remains to be seen. In my opinion they have a pretty good chance though.

Mason Crosby kicked the winning FG.

That's an interesting way to twist the game flow in Crosby's favor.

It's pretty obvious that Bakhtiari suffered another setback as he didn't practice at all last week after participating the week before. I'm not optimistic about his chances of returning this year.

GB finishes a #2 seed worst case if:GB Wins either of the next 2 contests. That is also good because worst case we would not see Dallas until a Championship match (they are on a tear) They'd have time to cool off.

The Cowboys haven't played a playoff team during their four game winning streak though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The 49'ers may be forced to start Trey Lance, due to Garoppolo's right thumb UCL tear along with a fracture. I think that is going to be hard to overcome, especially against the Rams in their final regular season game. They might beat the Texans though.

I hope the 49'ers can hang on and they and the Eagles get those last 2 spots.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like Garrapolo has been playing with some tough injuries the past two games and he still hangs in there. I wonder how good he might have been with Bellichek if NE had kept him. Belichek certainly wanted him. Personally, I think his throwing motion is really good.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB finishes a #2 seed worst case if:GB Wins either of the next 2 contests. That is also good because worst case we would not see Dallas until a Championship match (they are on a tear)
Where's the respect for McCarthy? I've heard a lot of McCarthy bashing here the last few years, and now that the Cowboys are doing well, it's crickets.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Where's the respect for McCarthy? I've heard a lot of McCarthy bashing here the last few years, and now that the Cowboys are doing well, it's crickets.
I was never a McCarthy basher, but I do think he got stale in Green Bay and it was the right move for the two parties to separate. I think he did a hell of a job during his off year of getting himself ready to coach again. He assembled a team of 3 other coaches, including Jim Haslett and studied the modern game and its trends.

I will also say that the talent McCarthy has in Dallas is pretty much better at every position, other than QB, than the talent he worked with in GB. He has done a great job and I am guessing he gets a lot of credit for the Cowboys playing so well.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think many fans are hoping that the latter years McCarthy will eventually show up in Dallas and others will contend that the Cowboys are winning despite McCarthy and not because of him.

ctfxcwatcher

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just think we have too many injuries at key positions to overcome. Jaire comes back but if he isn't 100% can he really help us? If everyone was 100% I would no doubt put us down to win it all. But with this current squad? Nope. I sadly foresee yet another NFC championship L or a shocking 2nd round exit. I just really hope I'm wrong but I've been getting that sinking feeling I got last year. Please be wrong, please be wrong, please be wrong,.....

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if we were healthy it is clear we are worthlessly bad. I honestly don't even know why we didn't forfeit all our games and fire MLF...just incredibly bad team...

...I want to thank everyone that has helped me see clearly about the 2021 Packers, I was such a fool until today previously.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just think we have too many injuries at key positions to overcome. Jaire comes back but if he isn't 100% can he really help us? If everyone was 100% I would no doubt put us down to win it all.
Nobody, on any team is 100% this late in the season. GB players have covered for each other and are playing through the minor injuries. The shortcomings and weaknesses aren't physical, IMHO, but schematic. MLF, Barry & Drayton need to put the players where their strengths can be maximized. IF Alexander, Z Smith, Myers, and/or Bakhtiari can get back it'll be a bonus, even at 85-90%.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I was never a McCarthy basher, but I do think he got stale in Green Bay and it was the right move for the two parties to separate. I think he did a hell of a job during his off year of getting himself ready to coach again. He assembled a team of 3 other coaches, including Jim Haslett and studied the modern game and its trends.

I will also say that the talent McCarthy has in Dallas is pretty much better at every position, other than QB, than the talent he worked with in GB. He has done a great job and I am guessing he gets a lot of credit for the Cowboys playing so well.
You rarely see a team accumulate talent in such a short amount of time the way the Cowboys have done the past couple of years. They have absolutely nailed their drafts.

McCarthy's offensive system is reliant upon great talent. Not a whole lot of schematic brilliance, just guys winning their assignments whereas LaFleur is a schematic wiz and it's helped the team and Rodgers a ton.

I think many fans are hoping that the latter years McCarthy will eventually show up in Dallas and others will contend that the Cowboys are winning despite McCarthy and not because of him.
McCarthy will cost the Cowboys a game with his poor game management eventually. Looking like it'll rear its ugly head in the playoffs.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers having lost a home game in the playoffs as a #1 seed 10 years ago doesn't prove your point at all.

While the team hasn't dominated any opponent I don't see how that would get any better playing on the road in the postseason.

The Vikings still have a pretty decent chance to make the playoffs by winning their remaining two games, especially if the Saints lose to the Dolphins tonight as they would win a tie-breaker with the Eagles. I fully expect them to be motivated at Lambeau on Sunday.

The banged up Packers are still the team with the best record in the league. They should definitely be considered a legit Super Bowl contender.
The Packers wasted the #1 seed last year as well as in 2011. Evidence is paltry that they are a good cold weather team having lost the last four home games under 10 degrees. Playing in warm weather or in a dome would let the Packers play to their strengths. Their last 5 games in Dallas have gone very well so I'd rather play the Cowboys on the road. As long as 6 starters are out on the offense. it makes it easy for a defensive coordinator to hold the Packers under 30 points. When that happens, the Packers odds of winning go way down given that the defense is prone to letting teans score more than 30 in the playoffs. Either the team gets a lot healthier this week allowing the players to work the rust off before the playoffs, or their chances of avoiding another playoff debacle go way down.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have one philosophy. Don't let teams consistently score over 30 points against you in the playoffs because you're going to lose a lot of those games. They didn't get to them by having horrible defenses.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy will cost the Cowboys a game with his poor game management eventually. Looking like it'll rear its ugly head in the playoffs.
I'd love to see a Packers vs Cowboys matchup. A legacy defining game. The loser would get the blame in many people's minds for the Packers underachieving during the Rodgers/McCarthy era. Regarding game management, depends on how many timeouts Rodgers burns early in the second half. :D

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to see a Packers vs Cowboys matchup. A legacy defining game. The loser would get the blame in many people's minds for the Packers underachieving during the Rodgers/McCarthy era. Regarding game management, depends on how many timeouts Rodgers burns early in the second half. :D
Lol, the battle of poor time management...

I just remember a lot of people saying the Cowboys made a stupid decision hiring McCarthy. And maybe the jury is still out on that, but they've been doing well this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

The 49'ers may be forced to start Trey Lance, due to Garoppolo's right thumb UCL tear along with a fracture. I think that is going to be hard to overcome, especially against the Rams in their final regular season game. They might beat the Texans though.

I hope the 49'ers can hang on and they and the Eagles get those last 2 spots.

The Niners are all but guaranteed to make the playoffs if they win one of their remaining games as they have defeated the Eagles, Vikings and Falcons this year.

I will also say that the talent McCarthy has in Dallas is pretty much better at every position, other than QB, than the talent he worked with in GB.

McCarthy had a lot of talent on offense for a lot of years during his tenure with the Packers as well.

Evidence is paltry that they are a good cold weather team having lost the last four home games under 10 degrees.

The Packers have had only three home games under 10 degrees since 2008 and actually won the only one Rodgers played in against the Falcons in 2013.

Members online

Latest posts