Toughest Packers Of All Time?

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So who are the ones who put up substantial, great careers while playing through long stretches of injury or pain?
Here are some that came to my mind:
Sterling Sharpe
Ken Bowman
Lynn ****ey
Ken Bowman
Bob Brown
Dave Hanner
Brett Favre
Jerry Kramer

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was going to say Ken Bowman, however he was so tough that he was mentioned twice in the opening post!

Played with his shoulder in a special custom made harness - where he couldn't lift his arm...

OP
OP
gwh11

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was going to say Ken Bowman, however he was so tough that he was mentioned twice in the opening post!

Played with his shoulder in a special custom made harness - where he couldn't lift his arm...
Cripes, I really need to preview my posts...

Reaction score
Ray Nitschke...nuff said

Tough not to go with Ray. He played a game against the Lions with his hamstring torn. There are video's of him intercepting a pass and running on one leg into the endzone. Its at the very end of this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i40P-2z12Z8

Jerry Kramer deserve special notice also. His team mates nicknamed him "The Zipper" because of all the injuries he had. In 1964 he had surgery to remove a piece of a board that was inbedded in his abdomen. It had been there since an accident when he was 14.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Heres another famous Packer tough guy!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So who are the ones who put up substantial, great careers while playing through long stretches of injury or pain?
Here are some that came to my mind:
Sterling Sharpe
Ken Bowman
Lynn ****ey
Ken Bowman
Bob Brown
Dave Hanner
Brett Favre
Jerry Kramer
This is a short list.
I mean, doesn't every player play with some amount of pain?

OP
OP
gwh11

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a short list.
I mean, doesn't every player play with some amount of pain?
Yes--that's why I was wondering if anyone had more names.
I'm certain every player does play with some pain, but clearly from reading accounts from other Pro players, trainers, etc., there are special players who seem to be a bit more extraordinary regarding this.
Read former Packers trainer Domenic Gentile's book "The Packer Tapes" and you'll see what I mean.

OP
OP
gwh11

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a shirt with above photo on it, and the caption "What would Nitschke do?"
In his book that I mentioned above, Gentile stated that Nitschke basically played his entire career on one leg. His left leg had suffered so much damage in high school and college that the muscles had atrophied and never fully regenerated. Those muscles were 50 percent smaller than the ones in his right leg.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This pains me to say it but Favre has a challenge for this honor.

"Recalling a conversation he had with former General Manager Ron Wolf, Favre told reporters that he originally had failed his physical with the Packers after Wolf traded a first-round draft choice to Atlanta for him. According to Favre, Wolf went down and told the medical staff to pass Favre and the rest is history.
"In the East-West Shrine game I hurt my hip, which basically I had avascular necrosis, the same thing Bo Jackson has," Favre said. "It's a lack of blood supply to a socket. To this day it bothers me from time to time."

OP
OP
gwh11

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score

"Recalling a conversation he had with former General Manager Ron Wolf, Favre told reporters that he originally had failed his physical with the Packers after Wolf traded a first-round draft choice to Atlanta for him. According to Favre, Wolf went down and told the medical staff to pass Favre and the rest is history.
"In the East-West Shrine game I hurt my hip, which basically I had avascular necrosis, the same thing Bo Jackson has," Favre said. "It's a lack of blood supply to a socket. To this day it bothers me from time to time."
Yes, one of the reasons he should be on a list like this.
Unfortunately, lack of blood supply to the brain dogged him at the end of his career...

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

He also played football shortly after having part of his intestines removed. I remember him getting hit so ******* one Monday night game I think, where he just threw up on the field and kept playing. A lot of negative things can be said about him, but no one can doubt how tough he was.

And I agree, Ray freakin' Nitzsche is definitely near the top of the list.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
he also played without a liver and a soul!!!! LOL! It had to be said!

So back on track... Nitschke for SURE!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

We should by all means consider him. One of the things I hate most about these lists is the subjective nature of them. Therefore, to be completely objective and to keep my personal feelings out of it, I would consider Favre to rank high on this list for toughness alone. Look at his play last year with the Vikings, all the injuries he sustained and he still played. He was a Viking then, not a Packer, but it still says something. I may not fancy him very much, but I will not deny him what he has achieved. I have no right to do that.