TJ Duckett in Green Bay?

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also found this on Railbird - seems like they've got a lot of interesting Packer news.

There's at least one person advocating that the Green Bay Packers add running back T.J. Duckett to their backfield this offseason.

Tyler Dunne of Packer Report thinks that putting Duckett in a backfield that already has Ryan Grant would make the Packers a force not unlike the Giants' dual force of Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw.

According to Dunne, "One possible answer can be found within the division. Although his name has flirted with first-round flop status, soon-to-be unrestricted free agent T.J. Duckett could be the final piece to a championship puzzle in Titletown. A relatively-cheap, two-year, $7 million-type of contract is worth a shot at obtaining an offensive dimension every contender has and every pretender craves: A two-headed monster. If Thompson prefers the younger variety, then a second- or third-round draft pick would be worth the investment."

TJ Duckett to Green Bay? I really don't know much about the guy, beyond the fact that he played at Michigan State and he's a bruiser type. Is he Packer-People though?

It's an interesting idea of having a big guy back there to compliment Grant, but isn't that going to be Wynn's role?

Found some stats on him:

6'0", 250 lbs and the most he's ever rushed for in a year is in 2003 with Altanta - 779 yards. For his career, he averages about 4 yards a carry.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i wouldn't be opposed to that. but i don't know if the staff would support that idea. they tried the "running back by committee" approach and said that they didn't like the results.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure he's the right kind of Back For Green Bay. That's not to say he might not excel here, but Green Bay has a lot of backs on the roster right now. I think they'd be better off drafting someone in the 3rd Round or even the 1st or 2nd if noone is there that they like. Duckett wasn't used much when he was in Washington, and he was less then stellar with Atlanta before that. I'm not sold on this deal.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing against Duckett, but I think we're ok at RB and WR positions. We have other priorities.

Wynn could be our "bruiser" back. Let's give him one more chance. if he gets injured again next year...

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
let's hope the incentives that our FO uses encourage Wynn to work his *** off this winter so he's in football shape next season, because he wasn't this season.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
let's hope the incentives that our FO uses encourage Wynn to work his *** off this winter so he's in football shape next season, because he wasn't this season.

If he wants to continue to play in the NFL, he will.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wynn looked good.........when he was healthy. Hopefully the injury bug is over, and he can stay on the field. I was impressed with him in his short stint.

rkoRKOrko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing against Duckett, but I think we're ok at RB and WR positions. We have other priorities.

Wynn could be our "bruiser" back. Let's give him one more chance. if he gets injured again next year...

I agree, we should be focusing on other positions rather than having T.J. Duckett come in.

Reaction score
Two years at 7 million isn't a fair contract for Duckett IMO. You would be paying more for potential than actual results and proven talent, sort of like Cletidus Hunt.

I think Jackson can be our "change of pace" RB. He showed some toughness late into the season, a willingness to fight for yards and not go down after the defenders made contact with him.

Then you have Wynn and Herron who have shown flashes of good-nees.

I'd rather the Packers stick to their "improve from within" philosophy and let one of the above guys become the 2nd head in a two headed monster.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Two years at 7 million isn't a fair contract for Duckett IMO. You would be paying more for potential than actual results and proven talent, sort of like Cletidus Hunt.

I think Jackson can be our "change of pace" RB. He showed some toughness late into the season, a willingness to fight for yards and not go down after the defenders made contact with him.

Then you have Wynn and Herron who have shown flashes of good-nees.

I'd rather the Packers stick to their "improve from within" philosophy and let one of the above guys become the 2nd head in a two headed monster.

give him one of those incentive laden contracts that the Packers are famous for.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duckett would be a solid addition.

-Grant (God)

-Jackson (GB isn't going to give up on him because he had a mediocre rookie year, and oh yeah, he finished the year strong)

-Duckett (A nice short yardage guy)

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus Duckett is from Kalamazoo too. He can pal around with Jemmings and Herron. Cool....3 K'zoo players on one team. I'm so proud. :)

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can talk Ducket and many other comnbinations, but until you fix your offensive line, who you put back there is a moot point. Grant played brilliantly because most of his yardage came as a result of his own talent. I think if you put an offensive line front of him, you're going to see one very special running back. Ducket could be a nice compliment, but I want to see the Packers go out and get themselves a quality proven guard.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can talk Ducket and many other comnbinations, but until you fix your offensive line, who you put back there is a moot point. Grant played brilliantly because most of his yardage came as a result of his own talent. I think if you put an offensive line front of him, you're going to see one very special running back. Ducket could be a nice compliment, but I want to see the Packers go out and get themselves a quality proven guard.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:

Absolutely right. THAT is why you sign the GUY, Trade up and get a REAL stud OL and get some support at CB and TE and win the Superbowl next year.