Titans Preseason - Kudos and Brickbats

H

HardRightEdge

Here are a few random observations in no particular order.

In the plus column:

- Bush: The most impressive series was put up by none other than Jarett Bush. Inside the first half 2 minute warning, on successive plays, he blew up an inside screen, recorded a sack, and followed it with a hit on incomplete pass. He truly is a practice and preseason warrior.

- Sherrod had a very good game at both RT and LT. Finished his blocks consistently, something we did not see his rookie year. He looked strong and fluid. He owned Ayers (who's had his own issues) with the exception of a missed cut block that nearly cost a bat down on Bostick's big gainer. I don't think Barclay's loss will be felt at the OT position.

- Dix: Just before the 2 minute warning, he got beat on a seam route, but made up 3 or 4 yards in a blink and broke up the play. The talent is certainly there.

- Harris: Had a very nifty run and decent kickoff return early. He looks like his old quick self. He's got the early lead for KO duty.

- Starks: Impressive in that first possession. Seemed to show a bit more patience than in past years.

- Tretter and Bulaga: I did not notice anything particularly great or terrible from either of these guys, but I was not focusing on them either. No news is good news, I suppose, when it comes to the OL.

- Rajion Neal: Nice running against the Titans second stringer. The position is crowded though. PS potential.

- Tolzien: He looked sharper than Flynn, the latter having some accuracy issues in the downpour. Tolzien did have the advantage of playing against the second stringers. He didn't do enough to separate himself, but he got a step closer. Tolzien's Garo Yepremian routine on the fumble lacked only an attempt to kick the ball.

- Thornton and Luther Robinson: I like the way these guys play...they show strength and motors. Thornton has the leg up on Worthy now and if Guion is scratched and Neal is depth charted at OLB, Robinson might make this team as the #6 DL. Still a long way to go.

- Liaina: The guy can run block as is his reputation. Hard to see where he'd fit on the roster with Kuhn still around who adds more versatility.

- While watching most of these OG prospects get beat up by Titan second stringers, e.g., (McCray, Tiller, Fullington), I did not see Taylor mess up. Another no news is good news item.

- Hyde: Nothing dramatic in plus or minus column at FS, but the secondary looked composed and in position when he was out there with no evident missed assignments. That is a refreshing state of affairs.

- Aaron Rodgers: Since he did not play there is zero chance he would have sustained an injury.

- We got our first look at the new front formations in the first quarter. Interesting seeing the lighter 265 lb. Neal with his hand in the dirt in a 4-3 type look. I put this in the plus column because it looked decent against the run.

In the minus column:

- Rettig looked like a deer in the headlights and his mechanics are not good. He's on the fast track to "camp arm" if wasn't there already.

- Third string LBs: Didn't see much to like there. No challenges to Lattimore and Barrington in this game.

- Rodgers got the start, but he lived up to his reputation as a not particularly good blocker. Neither is Quarless, still. Running to the line and playing pattycack out of the H-back spot is not what we're looking for. Compare to Liaina crashing the line.

- Perry and Datone Jones played with the second string and were their usual unimpactful selves.

- Yes, it was pouring rain, but two punt return fumbles from Adams does not bode well. Hyde, too, dropped a chance, but he's a proven product. No sign yet anybody can take the job from Hyde.

- Chris Harper: Dropped the 2 point conversion and later on dropped an out pass to extend the drive. Move him down the list of #5 and #6 contenders.

- Peppers: Not in the least dynamic. Lets hope he's saving it for the money games.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Appreciate the info. I was watching the Brewers play a game that means something. Glad to hear that Sherrod held his own. I think he's going to see a lot of playing time.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im wondering if Neal makes our 53. He looks good.

And Peppers? ehh, i wouldnt worry about him. Hes a vet.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

- Perry and Datone Jones played with the second string and were their usual unimpactful selves.

I noted this as well. These guys have just plain and simple disappeared. Well, Perry's disappeared - Jones, in my opinion has yet to appear and you can't disappear if you weren't around in the first place. At least before Perry busted his hand or whatever it was his rookie season, his name was called a couple of times.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Being in SoCal I don't get any games until regular season starts. Good review for those of us unable to see the game.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In the plus column:

- Bush: The most impressive series was put up by none other than Jarett Bush. Inside the first half 2 minute warning, on successive plays, he blew up an inside screen, recorded a sack, and followed it with a hit on incomplete pass. He truly is a practice and preseason warrior.

- Sherrod had a very good game at both RT and LT. Finished his blocks consistently, something we did not see his rookie year. He looked strong and fluid. He owned Ayers (who's had his own issues) with the exception of a missed cut block that nearly cost a bat down on Bostick's big gainer. I don't think Barclay's loss will be felt at the OT position.

- Dix: Just before the 2 minute warning, he got beat on a seam route, but made up 3 or 4 yards in a blink and broke up the play. The talent is certainly there.

- Harris: Had a very nifty run and decent kickoff return early. He looks like his old quick self. He's got the early lead for KO duty.

- Starks: Impressive in that first possession. Seemed to show a bit more patience than in past years.

- Tretter and Bulaga: I did not notice anything particularly great or terrible from either of these guys, but I was not focusing on them either. No news is good news, I suppose, when it comes to the OL.

- Rajion Neal: Nice running against the Titans second stringer. The position is crowded though. PS potential.

- Tolzien: He looked sharper than Flynn, the latter having some accuracy issues in the downpour. Tolzien did have the advantage of playing against the second stringers. He didn't do enough to separate himself, but he got a step closer. Tolzien's Garo Yepremian routine on the fumble lacked only an attempt to kick the ball.

- Thornton and Luther Robinson: I like the way these guys play...they show strength and motors. Thornton has the leg up on Worthy now and if Guion is scratched and Neal is depth charted at OLB, Robinson might make this team as the #6 DL. Still a long way to go.

- Liaina: The guy can run block as is his reputation. Hard to see where he'd fit on the roster with Kuhn still around who adds more versatility.

- While watching most of these OG prospects get beat up by Titan second stringers, e.g., (McCray, Tiller, Fullington), I did not see Taylor mess up. Another no news is good news item.

- Hyde: Nothing dramatic in plus or minus column at FS, but the secondary looked composed and in position when he was out there with no evident missed assignments. That is a refreshing state of affairs.

- Aaron Rodgers: Since he did not play there is zero chance he would have sustained an injury.

- We got our first look at the new front formations in the first quarter. Interesting seeing the lighter 265 lb. Neal with his hand in the dirt in a 4-3 type look. I put this in the plus column because it looked decent against the run.

In the minus column:

- Rettig looked like a deer in the headlights and his mechanics are not good. He's on the fast track to "camp arm" if wasn't there already.

- Third string LBs: Didn't see much to like there. No challenges to Lattimore and Barrington in this game.

- Rodgers got the start, but he lived up to his reputation as a not particularly good blocker. Neither is Quarless, still. Running to the line and playing pattycack out of the H-back spot is not what we're looking for. Compare to Liaina crashing the line.

- Yes, it was pouring rain, but two punt return fumbles from Adams does not bode well. Hyde, too, dropped a chance, but he's a proven product. No sign yet anybody can take the job from Hyde.

- Chris Harper: Dropped the 2 point conversion and later on dropped an out pass to extend the drive. Move him down the list of #5 and #6 contenders.

- Peppers: Not in the least dynamic. Lets hope he's saving it for the money games.

Good list HRD, although I'd give Peppers a total pass, for now. Not many established vets are known for going out and busting heads in the preseason. With Peppers I'm content to wait for games 1-4.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Im wondering if Neal makes our 53. He looks good.

And Peppers? ehh, i wouldnt worry about him. Hes a vet.
Neal is a lock. Oh, wait, you meant the OTHER Neal.

I suppose it's possible we go with 4 TBs, but that's not been the pattern.

Harris can block a little, catch a little, and he looked very good on his first KO return and looks to be the guy to beat out for that job.

It looks like Neal returned only 3 kicks in college, as a freshman. If we see him get a shot at KO, then a competition may be on. Practice squad would be a strong possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I saw Harper and Quarless had better pick up their game. Rajion Neal and Ryan White had great games for how far down the roster they are, and it being their first game experience.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Sharrod would not surprised if ends up starting....

Barring injury, I'd be surprised if he did, but I'd not rule it out entirely based on what I saw last night.

McCarthy seems to be committed to Bakhtiari as a guy with upside given he's been given the LT job instead of passing it to Bulaga, and Bulaga has been one of the best RTs in the league when healthy (the mysterious first half brain fart against Seattle being the exception).

In any event, the odds that Bakhtiari and Bulaga evade all nicks and dings and take every snap over 16 games is asking a lot. It's good know we have a guy who's shaping up to be a quality backup at critical positions, not to mention Bulaga is in his contract year. Sherrod is as well, but there's a 5th. year team option with him.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It was a shame the rain played such a factor in the game. Of course they have to be able to play in all conditions but the purpose of these games is to evaluate players and the rain may have been worse than it looked:
... Myles White said he played in two hurricanes during college, and Saturday night's monsoon-like conditions were worse than both.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...-with-muffed-punts-b99326959z1-270633791.html
That won’t be a problem next game. BTW, ILB Joe Thomas and RB Rajion Neal both left the game with knee injuries; I haven’t heard how serious they are.
"What we plan on doing for Seattle is nothing we've been practicing on outside," McCarthy added. "Frankly, we probably won't show it in the first four weeks of preseason."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...s-preseason-opener-b99326955z1-270635981.html
That’s not a surprise but just a reminder how vanilla schemes will be for the next three games.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Nobody mentioned Adams muffing up two returns? I don't even want to hear rain as the excuse because D. Harris proved that a KO is catchable and returnable on the opening kickoff. I am NOT impressed with D. Adams so far. For his supposedly having great hands, he didn't show it. Blah blah blah rain rain rain...... he will be facing rain, sleet, snow, wind and cold up in GB or a nasty combonation of those..... he better not be put on return duties of any sort.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

"What we plan on doing for Seattle is nothing we've been practicing on outside," McCarthy added. "Frankly, we probably won't show it in the first four weeks of preseason."

That’s not a surprise but just a reminder how vanilla schemes will be for the next three games.
McCarthy made similar statements last year...just swap out Seattle for San Francisco. As it turned out the wrinkles were barely noticeable.

Against Tennessee he actually showed a hybrid 4-3 when the starters were out there...not entirely vanilla.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
McCarthy made similar statements last year...just swap out Seattle for San Francisco. As it turned out the wrinkles were barely noticeable.

Against Tennessee he actually showed a hybrid 4-3 when the starters were out there...not entirely vanilla.
With the change in defensive personnel - adding Peppers and subtracting Pickett, Jolly, and Wilson - along with their simplifying assignments within schemes, I think it's a good bet you'll be able to notice the changes this season.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In any event, the odds that Bakhtiari and Bulaga evade all nicks and dings and take every snap over 16 games is asking a lot. It's good know we have a guy who's shaping up to be a quality backup at critical positions, not to mention Bulaga is in his contract year. Sherrod is as well, but there's a 5th. year team option with him.
From a GM perspective, I would expect to leave the current starting tackles as they are. If the Packers suspect that Sherrod could be a great starting tackle for the next decade, they would be wise to "ease" him back into the game this year as a backup, sign him for minimal dollars based on his lack of games played, and then give him the starting nod the following year. Sure they'd have to work out an extension sooner than later, but they'd still get a starter at rock-bottom wages for a year or two. It's something to consider.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bush: The most impressive series was put up by none other than Jarett Bush. Inside the first half 2 minute warning, on successive plays, he blew up an inside screen, recorded a sack, and followed it with a hit on incomplete pass. He truly is a practice and preseason warrior.
I love the last part that I put in bold. I've read more glowing reviews about Bush this preseason. He's tearing it up in camp and looking impressive in the first preseason game. The real key is who shows up in the regular season. That said, Bush has been a steady improvement each year in the league. It really was highlighted in the Super Bowl where he was possibly third in line for MVP consideration behind Rodgers and Nelson. He had his big play to save our season last year, and *** "may" *** be working towards a legitimate role in our defense. He's had a rocky road and deserved the criticism he's received over the years, but has worked his tail off and improved every year. The kid might just turn into a semi-stud as he rumbles into his 30s.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I love the last part that I put in bold. I've read more glowing reviews about Bush this preseason. He's tearing it up in camp and looking impressive in the first preseason game. The real key is who shows up in the regular season. That said, Bush has been a steady improvement each year in the league. It really was highlighted in the Super Bowl where he was possibly third in line for MVP consideration behind Rodgers and Nelson. He had his big play to save our season last year, and *** "may" *** be working towards a legitimate role in our defense. He's had a rocky road and deserved the criticism he's received over the years, but has worked his tail off and improved every year. The kid might just turn into a semi-stud as he rumbles into his 30s.

I really hope you are right. He has shown a flash every now and again during the season..... but if only he could stop doing 5 boneheaded things for each good thing we would be in business with him.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not predicting a breakout season, but more that each year he keeps cutting down the number of boneheaded things while increasing the positive plays.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest offensive worry is the center position. From what I've read, Tretter played fine against a defense that is a work in progress, which is much, much better than struggling. But I'm still worried. Nothing would be better than for me to be proven wrong.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I'm not predicting a breakout season, but more that each year he keeps cutting down the number of boneheaded things while increasing the positive plays.
Was it 2012 when he moved to the top of the depth chart as one of the cover corners based on a strong camp, but then promptly lost the job by getting burned too often? He looks best in nickel and dime zone coverages; I hope I never see him again trying to play man on the outside. There is serious competition this year for the dime back spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts