Titan stud n duds

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One quiet aspect of yesterday's game that I really appreciate is how Dillon ran so well out of the shotgun. Sometimes guys that come out of offenses like his at BC don't translate so well to that running style. He did just fine.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was great to see EQ score a touchdown. Getting everyone involved (pick your poison) will be key as we go up against better defenses in the playoffs.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not knocking him. I liked him out of the draft, I like him just as much after last night. He's different than what we're probably used to is all i'm saying. Even lacy was a dance to the line type guy, he was lighter on his feet and pretty nimble. that was him.

Dillon is not that guy. he's explosive, but he's not a slow and dance to the line and explode thru. I'm not meaning he can't explode, or he's slow etc. he's not and he's freaking powerful as heck.

He gets going 3 yards or so deep most times when he makes his cut and once he does he's going with only slight right and left movement. That's all he needs. he has good feet/balance/power and that slight variation is going to be enough for him. he's a load.

I used to hate those draw plays with Lacy, it seemed like he was too slow to the gaps and and openings would close before he could get there. To me he was always a pure 2 back back at his best out of an I-form or a deep set.

We're on the same page and I hope it doesnt come across as though I'm quibbling over minor details. With bigger players it's a good idea to watch them relative to the other guys on the field, they generally play faster than it looks on screen. On his 30 yard TD, after his cutting left Adoree Jackson tackling air in the backfield Kenny Vaccarro drew a bead on Dillon and Dillon just accelerated right out of the pursuit angle and left him eating grass. Dillon's a bit of a long strider, which given his obvious strength could be a big advantage. He doesnt just look slower than he is on screen but probably on the field as well, it can cause defenders to come with angles that are too steep, like Vaccarro did.

Last edited:

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
This was great to rub this game into my Viking neighbors face, And now I’m not going to be invited again for new year’s dinner with the Chicago fam when we spank the bears, thanks fine I’ll order takeout.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One quiet aspect of yesterday's game that I really appreciate is how Dillon ran so well out of the shotgun. Sometimes guys that come out of offenses like his at BC don't translate so well to that running style. He did just fine.

Thats the thing I liked the most of his college highlights, there were a couple of plays where he did exactly that in college. He looked like a back who takes the handoff in single back sets and attacks the gaps with speed authority and dare I say heaps of kinetic energy.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was great to rub this game into my Viking neighbors face, And now I’m not going to be invited again for new year’s dinner with the Chicago fam when we spank the bears, thanks fine I’ll order takeout.

I'd love to see another performance like that out of Dillon against the Bears, him just trucking the Bears defense like he did last night.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs

-Preston- Whatever happened internally, or coaches said to him, he's woken up. This is the guy we had last year and it's showing in the rest of the defense. Was setting good edges in the run game, awareness and not just rushing QB's with that tipped screen, and getting pressure.

I was down on him too but how much of that was the absence of Clark or Clark playing with that groin injury? Life is so much easier as an edge rusher when you have a guy like Kenny pushing the interior.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He looks to be playing harder to me. Seems to be fighting harder for position and a more willing participant in every play other than just 3rd and longs. Having Clark back healthy obviously helps everyone, but to my eyes Preston is playing with some more juice than the first half.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why were they running Dillon so much? Was Jones hurt? Were they wanting to rest him? Is this part of the new game plan?

I burned my Crosby shirt last night after that fiasco.
Should have sent it to me, I've been wanting one since we drafted him.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty complete game, still gotta poo poo on the special teams for missed and blocked kicks.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, Packers played so well I'm gonna skip the studs section, it was pretty much everyone. If I had to pick a dud it would probably be Kevin King but even that's relative because he wasn't bad, he just wasn't good.

My bad, forgot about Crosby, definite dud.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Devante (stick um hands) Adams - this was a complete and utter destructive force. The man played with his hair on fire. It just doesn't get any better..
I burned my Crosby shirt last night after that fiasco. 1st round pick in the draft HAS to be a new kicker :D
way to find all the positives...don't forget to place your order at agitators r us LOL:eek::laugh:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Why were they running Dillon so much? Was Jones hurt? Were they wanting to rest him? Is this part of the new game plan
Jones pulled up lame, I think in the 2nd qtr. He missed a few drives and came back in. I think the way the game went, seeing that Dillon was able to handle it, made Jones' not playing late in a blowout a non-issue.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why were they running Dillon so much? Was Jones hurt? Were they wanting to rest him? Is this part of the new game plan?

Should have sent it to me, I've been wanting one since we drafted him.
Jones
Hip issues

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs
WR blocking

I was clearly reminded time and time again that this is an irrelevant item to discuss and is actually treated as a negative when discussing WR play - please refrain from using it in a positive manner in the future LOL

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jones' style, being one of the best at kicking it outside, doesn't typically mix well with such conditions. That said, he did illustrate the ability despite the conditions especially out the gate in the second half - but the conditions were tuned to perfection for a guy with Dillon or even Williams' style had he been dressed.

Jones, tweaking his hip in the first half also made Dillon the work horse for the night.

As for the game plan - IF this wasn't just a fluke type performance (I believe in Dillon personally) this team and MLF now has at their disposal a back unlike any on the roster. While Williams is aggressive and can hammer down - Dillon is a literal sledge hammer. There were a few plays where he cut out and a linebacker attacked him - most RBs are done and at best neutral gain happens from impact spot, Dillon has the strength to literally win those battles despite being reactionary and not seeing it coming. His leg strength is special.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
****erson is listed at 6'5" / 292 lbs, so that is no small man that Dillon pancaked.

As you look at that highlight reel, its obvious Dillon has a ton of power and his yards weren't mainly due to speed and hitting wide open holes, he earned most of those yards.

Watch that 30 yard touchdown run from the pylon angle, he showed he could run around people too. Its not just the power and speed that scares defenders its when and if a defensive player compensates by attacking with more momentum does the ball carrier have that acceleration and or change of direction ability to leave a defender tackling air. Dillon did that twice in that run.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get a hold of Captain, he has a Warehouse full of Crosby Jerseys!

Captain_wimm: There is no basis to suggest that I have a warehouse full of Mason Crosby jerseys, please produce a source demonstrating that I have more than (looks over his shoulder) 23 Crosby jerseys.

Wimm I sincerely appreciate you as a forum member, I hope you dont take this ribbing to heart.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watch that 30 yard touchdown run from the pylon angle, he showed he could run around people too. Its not just the power and speed that scares defenders its when and if a defensive player compensates by attacking with more momentum does the ball carrier have that acceleration and or change of direction ability to leave a defender tackling air. Dillon did that twice in that run.

100%. Dillon is NOT a speed back or will be categorized as fast. However, he is quick. He reaches his top gear when wanted quickly. With many seeing a lumbering sledge hammer of a back, angles can be crucial and he will make some be just off that slightly - and you do not want to get him a slight advantage at impact, there are very few humans alive that can take him down on bad angles (Henry has this trait as well).

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Someone may have said it elsewhere, but another thing that was impressive about Dillon on Sunday night was NO Fumbles. I couldn't find his fumble history at B.C. but I always worry about a rookie fumbling, especially 21 carries in a snowy and wet game like we saw.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Someone may have said it elsewhere, but another thing that was impressive about Dillon on Sunday night was NO Fumbles. I couldn't find his fumble history at B.C. but I always worry about a rookie fumbling, especially 21 carries in a snowy and wet game like we saw.
From the things I read and the chatter pre-draft, I don't recall anyone really highlighting fumbles as a big issue for Dillon, but he did fumble 8 times in college, 4 of which where in 2017. So improvement was made in the subsequent seasons.

Members online

Latest posts