Titan stud n duds

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pleasantly surprised with a complete game yesterday against a solid team. Actually stopped Henry.. the biggest dud and what they should be embarrassed by is how they let tannehill tiki torch there entire defense on that run.. he out ran there entire defense

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Pleasantly surprised with a complete game yesterday against a solid team. Actually stopped Henry.. the biggest dud and what they should be embarrassed by is how they let tannehill tiki torch there entire defense on that run.. he out ran there entire defense

Yup that play sucked, but it clearly showed that the Packers were way over focused on stopping Henry. If nothing else, it might have snapped the players and coaches back to the reality of "hey, Henry isn't the only guy we need to keep an eye on". I am pretty sure there are going to be some players on the Packers that really hope to never have to look at that play on film, because WOW, collectively they all got fooled. I would have to look at it again, but I think even the camera operator followed Henry into the pile?

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So that's what a complete game looks like. Whoda thunk?

Studs: There are too many for me to name individually. The team came to play.

Disagree with calling Crosby a dud. Yes, he missed the extra point and that was a dud. I don't blame the blocked field goal on him. He was solid except for those two dud plays.

Shoot, even Rodgers threw an interception. I don't see anyone calling him a dud.

I was very surprised by the defensive play. They looked sharp. They appeared to be disciplined except for when Tannihill ran for the TD.

IMO no team is playing perfectly. Even the Chiefs did not look like themselves for part of their game.

They really played well. Now it's on to da Bears. That is going to be a tough game depending on how Trubisky plays.

But like ML said. Let's enjoy this for a 'minute' and then start preparing for the Bears.

GOPACKGO

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud - Mike Pettine. He had a really sound game plan to limit Henry. Best run defense of the year.
I think that starting our two young linebackers really helped him a lot. But Pettine did let them play the style they played. Which was what was needed. I think deep down Pettine wants to get conservative. But to his credit, I only noticed it once.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a stud that I don't think anyone has mentioned:

Luck.

-The weather seemed to really phase the Titans.

-Aaron Jones stepped out of bounds.

-The Titans bailed out a couple stalled drives with dumb penalties.

-The blocked FG return was erased because of a phantom offsides penalty.

Now the Packers absolutely deserved to win, and would have won regardless. But they had an unusual amount work out in their favor.

And the dud here belongs to special teams. That FG block and return should have help up, and would have been a big play if not for the penalty calling it back.
I didn't see the blocked kick or 4th down, had to change a diaper. prophetic perhaps.

That hands to the face early was big as it allowed to us to continue on to a score instead of punting.

AJones clearly stepped out of bounds, can't believe it wasn't called or challenged.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is up with King playing off so much, he's a different player when he's challenging guys at the LoS. Is his shoulder bothering him again?
I thought King looked good. He was in on quite a few tackles and with aggression.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I didn't see the blocked kick or 4th down

What surprised me there was that MLF changed his mind and went for it on 4th and 3. I don't know, 4th and 1 maybe, but 4th and 3 is a lot IMO. Maybe Crosby walked over to him and said "Coach, the conditions for kicking are just terrible, I will try, but I suggest going for it".

Glad the play(s) ended up being a nothing burger in the final score, but something to keep an eye on in the upcoming Playoff Games at Lambeau.

Like I said in a previous post, I think this game film is going to give a few teams more to think about than just playing the Packers in January, but having to play against Mother Nature as well.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup that play sucked, but it clearly showed that the Packers were way over focused on stopping Henry. If nothing else, it might have snapped the players and coaches back to the reality of "hey, Henry isn't the only guy we need to keep an eye on". I am pretty sure there are going to be some players on the Packers that really hope to never have to look at that play on film, because WOW, collectively they all got fooled. I would have to look at it again, but I think even the camera operator followed Henry into the pile?
Yes absolutely A brilliant play call imo

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Only thing I can think of is that he lined up with his head in the neutral zone.

Maybe I missed it, because I jumped up swearing at the block and return and decided to take a ****. However, the replay angle I saw when I got back was a terrible one, it wasn't straight on and very inconclusive because of it. The NBC analyst, I believe it was Terry McAulay saying something like "that should not have been called, its clear that nobody was lined up offside" was smoking something in his booth.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes absolutely A brilliant play call imo

Agree and although I really hate exposing Rodgers to hits, I think its a play that the Packers need to consider on a very important short yardage situation. I have seen that fake to the RB and naked bootleg run so many times and honestly, I don't think I have seen it fail more than a few times.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought King looked good. He was in on quite a few tackles and with aggression.
TN had a pretty dang good offense with a power beast of a back and 2 really good WR's and very capable TE. The fact they didn't do much all day tells me they did a good job. There were like 2 plays where he was lined up off where a pass was completed so those stand out to people, but overall he did a pretty good job last night too.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TN had a pretty dang good offense with a power beast of a back and 2 really good WR's and very capable TE. The fact they didn't do much all day tells me they did a good job. There were like 2 plays where he was lined up off where a pass was completed so those stand out to people, but overall he did a pretty good job last night too.

Personally if they have a Wide Receiver split out wide I prefer to always see King in press where he can use his length and leverage to good effect. However, its not Kings fault if the assignment calls for King to play off his man.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the best game the Packers have played all season. It shows what they are capable of.

It would be nice if they can follow-up with a similar effort next week, and clinch the top seed. The Bears are playing better now, at least on offense, so I do not expect it to be easy.

Green Bay, however, should prevail.

As they say in Polar Express...."Believe"

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watch his 30 yard tuddy again, his footwork was superb. He doesn't have shake, but his ability to cut and change his axis of attack is elite for such a big runner.
i was trying to allude to that. his style is different. get him going downhill he is tough to stop, he can make the adjustments he needs with a little shake, maybe not the right word, but he's such a load he can change direction downhill enough without losing speed and tacklers bounce off this thighs.

But I think he needs to get going before you really see his ability. he's not the slow to the hole with light feet and explode thru the hole when he sees it type back.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Everyone, as near a complete game as we've had recently. Most importantly to me, the run defense finally stopped an elite back. It's been a while. I seriously thought Henry would bulldoze us for 400 and destroy half our team in the process, lol.

Here's AJ Dillon's highlights...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Man, everyone, just go to about 3:40 and appreciate that collision with #92 for the Titans. In case nobody can tell, I can't get enough of that play.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I catch myself way too often getting mad at the defense, almost expecting them to force a 3 and out on every possession. That isn't reality and even the best defenses give up yards and points. What I saw last night was reassurance that we actually have a lot of talent on that side of the ball. While I am still not sold on Pettine being the guy to run the show next season, I do think if nothing else, this gave the defense and Pettine a boost that they can do it and do it really well against a top offense. Also, the 2 interceptions helped, but that is what happens when you play solid defense.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i was trying to allude to that. his style is different. get him going downhill he is tough to stop, he can make the adjustments he needs with a little shake, maybe not the right word, but he's such a load he can change direction downhill enough without losing speed and tacklers bounce off this thighs.

But I think he needs to get going before you really see his ability. he's not the slow to the hole with light feet and explode thru the hole when he sees it type back.

He has a very good first step and for really any size back he does have a lot of lower body explosiveness with that 131 inch broad jump. He gets back up to speed in a hurry after contact. He doesnt look as quick as he is given his size, but he was accelerating past pursuit angles last night throughout the evening. What he really has going for him is that initial acceleration, above average running speed, elite power along with the sharpness of his cuts. He's a ball carrier that a defender has to body up with, wrap up and hold on which causes guys to flat out miss when he does change directions. A back doesnt have to do everything well just some things at a superb level.

BTW check this out and look at where his broad jump and vertical rank for the position.

https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=A.J.&l=Dillon&i=30084

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Tannehill is fast. I think he ran a 4.6 40 or something like that. Was a really good play call. Surprised they didn’t do more of that.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As you said he's not a stop and go runner, see that three time. He's not going to stop go or reroute multiple times like Jones did on his 59 yarder.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has a very good first step and for really any size back he does have a lot of lower body explosiveness with that 131 inch broad jump. He gets back up to speed in a hurry after contact. He doesnt look as quick as he is given his size, but he was accelerating past pursuit angles last night throughout the evening. What he really has going for him is that initial acceleration, above average running speed, elite power along with the sharpness of his cuts. He's a ball carrier that a defender has to body up with, wrap up and hold on which causes guys to flat out miss when he does change directions. A back doesnt have to do everything well just some things at a superb level.

BTW check this out and look at where his broad jump and vertical rank for the position.

https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=A.J.&l=Dillon&i=30084
I'm not knocking him. I liked him out of the draft, I like him just as much after last night. He's different than what we're probably used to is all i'm saying. Even lacy was a dance to the line type guy, he was lighter on his feet and pretty nimble. that was him.

Dillon is not that guy. he's explosive, but he's not a slow and dance to the line and explode thru. I'm not meaning he can't explode, or he's slow etc. he's not and he's freaking powerful as heck.

He gets going 3 yards or so deep most times when he makes his cut and once he does he's going with only slight right and left movement. That's all he needs. he has good feet/balance/power and that slight variation is going to be enough for him. he's a load.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Man, everyone, just go to about 3:40 and appreciate that collision with #92 for the Titans. In case nobody can tell, I can't get enough of that play.

****erson is listed at 6'5" / 292 lbs, so that is no small man that Dillon pancaked.

As you look at that highlight reel, its obvious Dillon has a ton of power and his yards weren't mainly due to speed and hitting wide open holes, he earned most of those yards.

Members online

Latest posts