1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tim Layden (SI) Choice for 2011 Sportsman of the year: Aaron Rodgers

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by SanDiegoCheese, Dec 2, 2011.

1. SanDiegoCheese

SanDiegoCheese West Coast Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +185
  2. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I was just going to post this..... great piece! Everyone needs to read it!

3. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,802
    From the linked article: "He's achieved greatness patiently."

True. But I don't think to wait was really much of a choice.
    Aaron Rodgers entered the draft before he finished college.
    No doubt he would have started his first year in Green Bay if given the chance.

4. Skarecrow

Skarecrow Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    Great read

5. Crazy Packers Fan

Crazy Packers Fan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +117
    If Rodgers doesn't win the Sportsman of the Year award, it would be a pretty big joke on SI (though SI seems to be spot-on every year with their picks, so I think they'll get it right). You'll notice a lot of "joke" picks for Sportsman of the Year, as I call them, where writers are forced to put up a WNBA player or a surfer as their pick for Sportsman of the Year just because they're forced to. But with no one in any of the other major sports having a standout year, I don't think there's any debate this year.

6. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483
    I am going to read this now...Wonder if they retract the shut up or get on board statement?? If not they should

7. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Nope they sure didnt....

8. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    They better choose Rodgers.
    They never once gave this award to Roger Federer, which is a complete joke.

9. Greenbayphil

Greenbayphil Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +157
    really enjoyed reading that.
    Sometimes though I think people play on the fact that he had to go through Butte college then didnt get drafted till 24th pick etc too much, maybe its just me but I get fed up of hearing about it all the time.

10. SanDiegoCheese

SanDiegoCheese West Coast Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +185
    I take it you've never surfed before, right? I played high school football (like prob. a lot guys here) and have surfed since I was 11. Trust me, it's a REAL physical sport waves kick your ***. WAVES DON'T MISS TACKLES! I've had days were I was in way more pain from surfing the day before than palying football (RB/Saftey) I'll be suprised if someone doesn't nomiate Kelly Slater this year he just won his 11th World Championship title. NO ONE has dominated their sport (since Bill Russell) like Kelly Slater. He retired in 1999 (there was really nothing else to prove in sport) he came back in 2003 he lost approx. 3 of his "prime years" away from the sport. And has continued to dominate the sport against guys half his age. If someone doesn't nominate Kelly, that would be a joke.

I love A-Rod, and wouldn't mind seeing him winning this award.
    But if Kelly Slater won the award, it would me much more to sport as a whole.

11. Crazy Packers Fan

Ratings:
    +117
    Lol, I have nothing against surfers, nor WNBA players. It's just that I can't honestly see SI picking one of them as their actual Sportsman of the Year, even though they're nominated.

12. Crazy Packers Fan

Ratings:
    +117
    Coach K and Pat Summitt end up as SI's Sportsman/Sportswoman of the Year. I'd laugh if I wasn't so disappointed in Rodgers getting snubbed.

13. CarolinaPackerFan

CarolinaPackerFan Packers fan in Panthers country

Ratings:
    +52
    I read that SI gave them the award as a lifetime achievement award of sorts. That doesn't make since to me at all. It's "Sportsman of the Year" not "Sportsman with the best career." This is a surprise to me because I definitely expected Rodgers to win it.