Tight ends

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does this seem like a position that has been somewhat overlooked since we have gotten Bubba. I have no complaints with Bubba's game. But I would have thought GB would have tried harder to upgrade the 2nd TE with late draft picks or college players not drafted, but that could be developed. This so they could have an effective 2 TE offense and better depth if Bubba's hurt or leaves.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Since the SBs I think the TE position has been forgotten in the main aresnal of the offense. I could be wrong, but I think the TE position was a huge threat back in the Packers dominant days.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think David Martin is a pretty decent #2 - a heck of a lot better than Ben "everytime Favre throws me the ball I drop it" Steele.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher, I don't think Ben Steele is the first receiver who in his first year with the Packers has had trouble hanging on to the rockets Farve throws at his receivers. Ask any of the Receivers about the passes Farve has thrown to them during their first year with Green Bay. They have some stories to tell about their broken fingers or sprained fingers. He will get adjusted to the speed by the end of training camp. The tight end position has not been a featured pass receiver like in the 90's. We do have a real excellent corp of wide receivers that seem to be Farve's favorite targets. They have something our tight ends do not have------Speed!!!!!!

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was on the practice squad all year and on the 53 man roster. Obvioulsy he had some practice with Favre so it shouldn't have been something new.

I just remember this past season that every time anyone threw him the ball he dropped it in each game.

The only reason people like him is because he supposedly came up with that fumble against MN (although that whole thing was debateable).

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I know Viking fans want to make that fumble recovery "debatable" but every fumble goes down the same way. The ball apparently can change hands several times. The ref told Steele that he had the ball so he let go and the Viking grabbed it and held it up after the fact. Had the ref not said anything to Steele, he supposedly had the ball and would have put the debate to rest. Either way, Packers got the "W"!

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still David Martin is better then Ben Steele. I remember watching a few games where Ben started and Brett like lobbed the ball to him and he still dropped it. I mean atleast David Martin can catch when he starts. And i dont think the tight end posistion has been overlooked it just has not been used as much. Like we only use the tight end in red zone situations. And sometimes on third down conversions.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheezy said:
Still David Martin is better then Ben Steele. I remember watching a few games where Ben started and Brett like lobbed the ball to him and he still dropped it.
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. It was midway or towards the end of the season.

leopardmech

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know I think that Steele has got potential I think that it just need to be brought out of him. I personally think he will turn in to a verygood TE.

Later
Leopardmech

Canadian packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also believe David Martin is better then Steele but I feel that both these players hurt our running game because neither can block. This is where I feel Bubba's strengths are, he can run block plus is a good red zone receiver.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
leopardmech said:
I don't know I think that Steele has got potential I think that it just need to be brought out of him. I personally think he will turn in to a verygood TE.

Later
Leopardmech
I gotta tell you - if I was out there... Everyone knows no one in here has ever had to catch a Brett Favre pass.... I'd be wondering if I have any fingers left with feeling still in them... let alone broken joints..... Heck, even Chewey had a hard time for the first Season with Brett throwin' to him. You guys forget pretty easily....

As far as Bubba, versus the new guys....? They say this Sean McHugh is a lot like Bubba and can block like the ****ens....

We just need to see Beightol bring the best out of both of 'em!

Sorry CP - just can't get myself to be a David Martin acolyte....
Not sure exactly - just can't.... I guess he just hasn't been there when I felt he should have been! 'Course, at time, quite a bit of the Offense forgot to show up last year.... I won't rehash it.

On to.... Season 2005!

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
David Martin = Tyrone Davis less the production.

A free agent pick up here would help the training camp competition.

We could use a TE other than Bubba who can catch the ball.

Members online

Latest posts