Tight Ends Situation

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cannella is 6'-5", 230 lbs. Tight End who played WR/TE in college. Similar to the route Tonyan took, where he started as a QB, then switched to WR in college, and converted to TE for NFL. Tonyan bulked up to around 250 but kept most of his 4.58 speed. Cannella & Lazard are almost identical size-wise, but Cannella runs 4.74 and Lazard was 4.55 at draft time. Gute just LOVES 6'-4"/5" guys who can run and have reliable hands. Maybe this is Gute stocking the cupboard for '23 & beyond in case Tonyan & Lazard leave after this season?
Well it never hurts to have a backup who checks at least most of the boxes.

But you remind me that Lazard, and Tonyan when he's back, are motivated to have great years. That's a good thing.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe this is Gute stocking the cupboard for '23 & beyond in case Tonyan & Lazard leave after this season?

With Cannella being a longshot to make the team I highly doubt that was Gutekunst thought about Lazard and Tonyan possibly leaving next offseason when making the move.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Cannella being a longshot to make the team I highly doubt that was Gutekunst thought about Lazard and Tonyan possibly leaving next offseason when making the move.
Yeah I think stocking the TE group, or just getting better players, will be a function of the next draft and any players that present during FA. Signing a guy from the USFL or wherever Cannella came from, is just a band aid IMO. Although it's fine with me if he puts up 800 yards and 10 TDs....... (Just covering my bases here.)

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah I think stocking the TE group, or just getting better players, will be a function of the next draft and any players that present during FA. Signing a guy from the USFL or wherever Cannella came from, is just a band aid IMO. Although it's fine with me if he puts up 800 yards and 10 TDs....... (Just covering my bases here.)

Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome if Cannella contributes this season but I don't even expect him to make it to the practice squad.

GB psyco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why bother with the TE position, Finley was the last one and that was 100 yrs ago it seems. That hope has gone away right along with the Fullback position. I had hoped that LaFleur would change that, he had success with Delaney Walker in Tennessee as the OC. Tonyan is decent, and we'll see if he can stay healthy, but we need a difference maker opposing defenses have to plan for. Especially now with the WR corp we have, which may to turn out to be really good, but a TE threat would really help.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome if Cannella contributes this season but I don't even expect him to make it to the practice squad.
Yeah that's why I was being sarcastic. Although it does show the dearth of available TE talent right now. There may be an opportunity to add a guy during cutdowns, but those are usually one-year deals with a guy trying to show he can still play, or a guy near the end of his career. In either case, there's not gonna be a Gronkowski in that mix. TE, even more so than WR, is gonna be a problem this year. Hopefully someone steps up big time. Stranger things have happened.

D

Deleted member 6794

TE, even more so than WR, is gonna be a problem this year. Hopefully someone steps up big time. Stranger things have happened.

The lack of talent at both wide receiver and tight end might end up being a problem. The Packers desperately need at least one of the position groups to step up big this season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The lack of talent at both wide receiver and tight end might end up being a problem. The Packers desperately need at least one of the position groups to step up big this season.
Agreed. I think it will come from the WRs - and just because there are more of them, more opportunities. Anyway, one (or both) of the units will have to play better than they have in the past.

Reaction score
Why bother with the TE position, Finley was the last one and that was 100 yrs ago it seems. That hope has gone away right along with the Fullback position. I had hoped that LaFleur would change that, he had success with Delaney Walker in Tennessee as the OC. Tonyan is decent, and we'll see if he can stay healthy, but we need a difference maker opposing defenses have to plan for. Especially now with the WR corp we have, which may to turn out to be really good, but a TE threat would really help.
I agree. There were a few TE that
I had my eye on this draft. With questions at WR it just seemed natural that we might beef up the TE position also.
I guess the final outcome was telling. We either didn’t feel we needed TE altogether or we just saw other players at needed positions that were way to hard to pass up on where they were drafted

Members online

Latest posts