Thompson may be a good GM, but he's not a good leader

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I ride in the bus that firmly supports Thompson. I like what he's done with this team and I like where we are going. I'd give him another two years to reach serious play-off contender level. Upon failure of that, I would revisit his position, only if the market bore better candidates.

Anyway, upon responding to the "Is Brett selfish" post, something dawned on me about TT and his leadership style. I chose to start a new thread (which isn't the trend here.)

Here is my one complaint about Thompson. He isn't a good leader. My case is that Brett is spouting off about wanting to win now. The Packers seem to be moving towards than via a slower method than Brett desires.

My point is that a good leader gets all involved (especially the team leader) to understand the goal of the organization/team and how they are going to get there. If TT's method is rebuilding slower than some may want, well they should all damn well know what the goal is and how the Packers are going to get there. Then if they're not 'on-board' with the organization, they can address it then. Not to the media via one's pilot two years later.

Sure, Brett is running his mouth at a bad time on a touchy topic, however, he should have known Thompson's plan well within 6 months of TT's arrival. This is an issue that should have been covered inside of the Packer organization long ago.

Thompson needs his whole organization to know what their goals are and how they are going to get there.

So, Chop Chop Ted. You're the lead dog, so lead!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Every decision and NON-decision Thompson makes, Favre and company should be notified. Have it sent to their PDAs or something. We have the technology.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I somewhat agree. I felt McCarthy and Thompson both made it as obvious as possible before the offseason got up to full speed that their main priority this year was to improve the team from within. That was all over the presses.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I somewhat agree. I felt McCarthy and Thompson both made it as obvious as possible before the offseason got up to full speed that their main priority this year was to improve the team from within. That was all over the presses.

Yeah. It has. Thats what we've been discussing on this forum for 2 years. lol.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

Agreed but so was adding "playmakers" to the roster. But the overall premise of the original post was to lay out the "plan" for all the key components of the team.

Unless players in Ted's mind should just play. Which is a possibilty as well, we will construct this team how we see fit mentality.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think that's their mentality, per se. They've tried to make it easier for the players to come up and talk to them in their offices. I think there is a difference between that and not taking final responsibility for making the personnel decisions. Input is good, but I wouldn't want anyone other than the GM and HC to make final personnel decisions. That could cause so much trouble.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont believe at all that the GM needs to be the vocal leader of a team.
The Coach should be. and we definetly dont need to let each and every player know the ins and outs of the teams workings. players come and go and the less they know the better, when they do end up leaving. Mark Cuban communicates with every player and lets them know every detail... they just got knocked out by Golden State in the first round.
They get paid to do their job, they dont need to know anything else but a playbook.

having said that. i agree that they should all know the general plan of the team, but how it gets there really doesnt need to be discussed by anyone but the board, GM and head coach. and really like trom and mass said... the whole team and every fan who wants to know, is well aware of Thompsons general plan. to build through the draft and improve within.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In regards to the "improve from within" strategy, I still say that the adjustment we made to the strength and conditioning program is one of the most underrated moves so far by this staff. We fielded a healthier (injury resistant), stronger, more explosive team last year, and it should only continue.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The GM doesn't need to be a leader. That's the coach's job.

The GM needs to understand the business behind the game. To know how to fix a team that's broken and keep them competitive.

OP
OP
T

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The coach can be the vocal leader, that's fine. However, the plan is set from above and the Coach and GM need to be together on it. As for keeping players in the dark because they come and go all the time, wtf is that? What our plan is doesn't need to be some great big secret. I don't care if the other teams know what we're doing. The key is that our WHOLE team needs to know and they need to be on board with it.

It isn't just the personnel and how we obtain them, it's every facet of our game.
- Will we be a running team?
- Will we be a risk taking D?
- Will we build through the draft, or FA-trades?

You have to have an identity and the whole team needs to understand it and be onboard with it. It doesn't matter whether that is public information or not.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It isn't just the personnel and how we obtain them, it's every facet of our game.
Um, thats the coach, then the Gm acts accordingly.

That doesn't matter. What does it matter to Nick Barnett how the Lbs next to him got there, via free agency or draft? it doesn't matter.

You go out there and you play the best you can.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I ride in the bus that firmly supports Thompson. I like what he's done with this team and I like where we are going. I'd give him another two years to reach serious play-off contender level. Upon failure of that, I would revisit his position, only if the market bore better candidates.

Anyway, upon responding to the "Is Brett selfish" post, something dawned on me about TT and his leadership style. I chose to start a new thread (which isn't the trend here.)

Here is my one complaint about Thompson. He isn't a good leader. My case is that Brett is spouting off about wanting to win now. The Packers seem to be moving towards than via a slower method than Brett desires.

My point is that a good leader gets all involved (especially the team leader) to understand the goal of the organization/team and how they are going to get there. If TT's method is rebuilding slower than some may want, well they should all damn well know what the goal is and how the Packers are going to get there. Then if they're not 'on-board' with the organization, they can address it then. Not to the media via one's pilot two years later.

Sure, Brett is running his mouth at a bad time on a touchy topic, however, he should have known Thompson's plan well within 6 months of TT's arrival. This is an issue that should have been covered inside of the Packer organization long ago.

Thompson needs his whole organization to know what their goals are and how they are going to get there.

So, Chop Chop Ted. You're the lead dog, so lead!

Or else Brett can be QB, coach and GM.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am quite certain TT made it very clear in his initial interview with the board what it was he planned to do and how he planned to do it.

Ted Thompson is very much a "team player" and stays completely involved in the process of putting a competitive team on the field based on what it is the coach wants to do and the type of player to make that coaches schemes successful.

What has not been touched hardly ever on this forum is how Ted ended up letting Sherman go and the kind of effort since then to get McCarthy the players he needs.

Mike Sherman is gone because he would not participate with the management team and work together with TT and his staff to do what needed to be done. Once he realized there was no working with Sherman to reach a common goal he fired him.

Now since then and the hiring of McCarthy, AND, the hiring of his staff which included a committment to the zone blocking system Thompson has had to switch gears and go find players that works in McCarthys system.

So talking to Brett Favre or anybody else six months after he gets there is fine but the reality of it is the whole deal changed. What has not changed is that TT has made it clear he's going to find players thru the draft. Period.

Yes, he will find players that work thru FA too but don't look for bunches of players from that pool. I mean if I KNEW THIS SIX MONTHS IN what is the mystery for BF or anybody else in the organization.

It's not rocket scientry. The GM committs to a coach he thinks can do just that and then goes and finds players the coach describes as the one's he needs. They only meet like every day on this stuff so it's not like nobody knows from within what TT is up to.

We have heard *****in from BF but nothing from MM at all and I would think rift between the GM and the HC would be far more reaching AND TELLING than that from the QB whose job doesn't involve personnel in any way in the first place.

I think TT has had to deal with some extremely tough personnel decisions and has made moves Joe Public might not like but is getting the respect from the staff he deserves.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you read Brett's comments, it appears to me that the entire fiasco this team is now in is due to the fact that he was convinced that Randy Moss and/or other players were going to be brought in to help the offense. For whatever reason, it hasn't happened and he is extremely disappointed that it hasn't. If someone led him to believe some things like that would be done, then they are the one at fault. If that didn't happen and Brett got those ideas all by himself, then he is at fault.

IMO, the only thing that really bothered me about how this was handled was the reports that when Thompson was notified about how upset Brett was, he called McCarthy and told him to get a hold of Brett. That, to me, isn't how a good leader effectively handles a situation that has the potential to affect the organization as much as this has in the eyes of the media and public opinion.

Handled differently, I think this whole situation could have been avoided.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think TT thought the Moss deal was done. Then got blindsighted.
Favre got mad, and lashed out.
I honestly believe TT wants to win now too. You can only do so much with what you have though.
Favre wants it all NOW, as he knows he won't be around much longer. I don't blame him for that.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly believe TT wants to win now too. You can only do so much with what you have though.
Favre wants it all NOW, as he knows he won't be around much longer. I don't blame him for that.

If the Moss deal was done, why not lock him up right away?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

John Clayton reported today that Moss was not very enthused about going to GB when the deal was 'done'

but...you know...facts....who needs em?

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
cheesey said:

John Clayton reported today that Moss was not very enthused about going to GB when the deal was 'done'

but...you know...facts....who needs em?

I don't doubt for a minute that Moss wasn't enthused about coming to Green Bay right now. I don't think anybody is enthused about coming to Green Bay right now.

Toiling away in obscurity on a mediocre team in the middle of a 10-year rebuilding program can't be considered a wise career move unless you're getting paid substantially above market value.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you read Brett's comments, it appears to me that the entire fiasco this team is now in is due to the fact that he was convinced that Randy Moss and/or other players were going to be brought in to help the offense. For whatever reason, it hasn't happened and he is extremely disappointed that it hasn't. If someone led him to believe some things like that would be done, then they are the one at fault. If that didn't happen and Brett got those ideas all by himself, then he is at fault.

IMO, the only thing that really bothered me about how this was handled was the reports that when Thompson was notified about how upset Brett was, he called McCarthy and told him to get a hold of Brett. That, to me, isn't how a good leader effectively handles a situation that has the potential to affect the organization as much as this has in the eyes of the media and public opinion.

I believe, what we have here, is a failure to communicate. (What movie did that come from?)

If Brett said that he would come back if we got him some help, that does not exactly mean to get Moss. To Ted (a former LB), the best help that you can give the offense is a short field. Building up the defense would take far fewer premier players than to re-vamp the offense and keeping the score down and staying in good field position would allow even a mediocre offense to score. (Can we say -- Da Bears?)

That being said, the positions on offense that needed addressed were mostly touched on during the draft. We drafted players at RB (who, in the ZBS, need not be the "elite" back in order to succeed), 2 WRs that look pretty good and potentially can return kicks as well, a TE that can catch and another RB (and a LB) that can possibly slide over to fill the FB position.

Add an improved defense (Harrell closing down the run and Rouse cutting down the "explosive" plays) to slight upgrades to several positions on offense and sure tackling LBs on special teams -- along with a kicker with an incredibly strong and accurate leg, I can see were Ted did keep his word to Brett to help him -- and did not break the bank while doing it. Signing several of these rookies (for 4 to 5 years) as opposed to signing a 30 year old WR for 1 year on his way to free agency both fulfills his promise to Brett and puts the pieces in place for after Brett leaves.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe, what we have here, is a failure to communicate. (What movie did that come from?)

Cool Hand Luke.

BTW, I agree with the rest of your post, too...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Lare said:

If Brett said that he would come back if we got him some help, that does not exactly mean to get Moss. To Ted (a former LB), the best help that you can give the offense is a short field. .

Or maybe Ted said I will get you OFFENSIVE weapons

OP
OP
T

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Timmons said:
Um, thats the coach, then the Gm acts accordingly.

That doesn't matter. What does it matter to Nick Barnett how the Lbs next to him got there, via free agency or draft? it doesn't matter.

You go out there and you play the best you can.

Whether the direction comes from the coach or the GM doesn't matter. However it has to come from them.

My example is that Brett has expectations about winning now. I believe that's a nicety for TT, however he's not risky the years after Favre for Favre to win now. For this to not have been cleared since TT's beginning, with or without Sherman, should have been clear. I don't believe it was.

That's bad leadership.

As for your shot at Barnett and the LB's, if he's got a burning desire for some player to be on our team (draft or trade) he should know if/how/when our team could do it. If his expectations are as far off as Favre's were about Moss, then we have a communication problem. I point that back to leadership.

If these are private GM issues that he can't share due to risking a deal, then his team needs to be in line with that.

I don't care what TT tells the media. If they have to be all private about deals, methods, or personnel, good. However, as much of their organization that can know, should know. When rumors or complaints start spitting out the sides, there is obviously a leadership problem.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

The player has to sign the contract. If he made it sound like he was gonna do that, you trust his word. Now.....i don't KNOW if thats the way it went, i'm guessing. Just as you are guessing that it WASN'T that way.
But until it IS signed, it's not binding.
So Moss took the NE contract instead. That we know as FACT.

Latest posts