This Quote Sums It Up Nicely

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:
"You know, we had 400 yards of offense, so I don't know why they hell I've got to come in here and answer questions about the things you think that went wrong,” McCarthy said in his Wednesday news conference after being asked back-to-back questions about offensive issues"

Well said, coach. Another fine example of the distortion of reality laid on all of us by fantasy football and the media dopes who can't see the forest for the trees.
Real football:
1)The goal is to win the game. 3-0 is a victory.
2)Fundamentals- excellent blocking, tackling, running are essential for victory.
3)Unbreakable defense is essential.
4)Enough offense to balance the game, including a solid ground game and enough passing to control the clock.
5)Effective special teams.

Unreal football:
1)Run up 600 yards passing per game.
2)Who cares about defense unless I chose the defense for my fantasy league?
3)Special teams only matter when I have a kicker on my roster.
4)The team must score 30+points a game or it's a failure.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad to see McCarthy kick some sand in their face.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
"So Mike, there isn't anything wrong with the offense?" :coffee:

I get the fact that MM, AR and the rest of the Packers organization are tired of the same old questions concerning the offense, after all, they have been asked those questions for over a year now. But anyone who believes this offense isn't underperforming is either not watching the same games that most of us are or has very low expectations of the offense.

Suggestion to Mike, talk about what the offense is doing good (Lacy, offensive line, protection) and then talk about areas that need improvement (dropped balls, poor throws, route running, etc,). But you are the H.C. of a team in a very bright spotlight, don't insult us by pretending we are all idiots and there isn't something not right with your offense.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's also a bit fantasy to believe that all MM or Capers needs to do is turn some knobs, press a few buttons, and the offense/defense works better. Getting players to focus, playing with intensity, executing properly, and a host of other intangibles are things that coaches can preach in practice and in games, but it's really about the players. Xs and Os fall on the coaches. They can only do so much.

A good example of how the pendulum swings. For years Rodgers was at the top of his game. Now that's changed while Nick Perry, underachieved for years but appears to be at the top of his game. That may sway back again in the future. We can try to diagnose and search for the answers, the media can ask pointed questions, but so much of sports are the intangibles that just can't be fixed easily if at all.

I'm sure that MM knows that the offense isn't running on all 11 cylinders, but is likely tired of answering the question after each game.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm sure that MM knows that the offense isn't running on all 11 cylinders, but is likely tired of answering the question after each game.

I agree that players have to better execute but the coaching staff not using more man-beater routes to support receivers getting open is mind-boggling. By now McCarthy should have found a way to improve the performance by the offense and I don't feel sorry for him having to answer questions about the unit underperforming.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Our offense as it stands now isn't terrible and along with the way the defense is playing and a relatively easy schedule, we should win quite a few games. However, the games we probably won't win playing this way are the ones against better opponents then the Jags, Lions and Giants. So if the Packers want to compete against the better teams, as well as make a deep run in the playoffs, that offense is going to have improve quite a bit over what we have seen over the last year. So hearing MM almost sounding "satisfied" with his offense is frustrating. I get that behind closed doors, he probably isn't as satisfied as he is publically projecting and that he is trying to improve it, but its up to MM and the Players to show that they are getting better on offense on the field and not just behind a mic at a press conference.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to be fair, most of us are idiots when it comes to football. Guys are playing hard, anyone watching that can tell that too. There were some lapses in physical play. Those things happen and he's not going to sit up there and call them out in a press conference.

and the question wasn't what is good in the offense and what needs working on, it was why can't Aaron Rodgers find an open receiver after 5-7 seconds. I know what the question implies, it's what's been implied since last year. I don't buy it and neither does MM. Somehow we're to believe Adams can't play WR? Take a look at a couple of his TD catches form this year, tell me the kid doesn't have the tools necessary. Cobb can't get open? ***** please. Our offensive scheme has been figured out and can't be effective? Come on, dropped balls, dropped TD's and catchable balls tipped for INT's limiting our production say otherwise.

They want MM to say he doesn't know how to coach an offense or they want him to say Rodgers can't find an open guy anymore, or they want him to say the WR's just aren't good enough.

They do need to play better, but none of the above is true. There are little things in the offense that need work, and those aren't things they're going to talk about publicly and besides, most of us are too stupid football wise to understand anyway. They want to hear what they want to hear, just like the fans do. Problem is, the solution isn't where they're looking.

H

HardRightEdge

The offense is not hitting on all cylinders, but it's pretty decent in most respects, and is showing some progression.

One concerning observation: Nelson has lost a step. This is understandable coming off an ACL on one knee and and a camp injury to the other. His long speed could bounce back next season, as is often the case in year 2 post-ACL, but I would not expect that to happen this season. In the mean time, he's an effective possession receiver in the collection of such. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the 2016 version of Janis might deserve a couple of test throws downfield.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I want to think Nelson's game against the Giants was more of a blip then anything, he was far more effective against the Vikings and the Lions and I think we will see more of that. But I do believe with his injury and his age, the Packers are going to have to get more creative with how they use him. AR also has to get less dependent on the guy most were saying was a big factor in AR's struggles last year, trust the pocket and find a better target then a well covered Jordy when needed.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO most of what is wrong with this offense comes down to execution. Not all but a lot. Change the outcome of two poorly executed plays per game and the results can be tremendous. Poor execution not only affects that play but subsequent ones in that many time the subsequent ones simply don't happen. I'm not Naive enough to think they can eliminate all of them but just two. A catch instead of a drop on third down could lead to 6 more plays 50 more yards and a TD instead of a poor punt. Same with an overthrown pass. Execute those two plays and suddenly you have 100 more yards of offense and 14 more points. I think that might satisfy a lot of people.

Like I said it's not all that is wrong but IMO it is the biggest part of it. MM and the coaches do deserve some of the blame but at some point the players have to do the job they are getting paid for and I think the biggest failure to do that right now is Aaron Rodgers and that is where it all starts.

Also, poor execution is not limited to specific drops, missed blocks and poor passes. It can be from poor decision making in the first place. The decision to force it deep on 2nd and 7 instead of taking a 5 yard gain and making 3rd down a little more manageable. Note my use of the word force. I'm not saying it is never a good thing to go deep on 2nd and 7 but if the deep guys are blanketed and the short guy is open throw it to the short guy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
IMO most of what is wrong with this offense comes down to execution. Not all but a lot. Change the outcome of two poorly executed plays per game and the results can be tremendous. Poor execution not only affects that play but subsequent ones in that many time the subsequent ones simply don't happen. I'm not Naive enough to think they can eliminate all of them but just two. A catch instead of a drop on third down could lead to 6 more plays 50 more yards and a TD instead of a poor punt. Same with an overthrown pass. Execute those two plays and suddenly you have 100 more yards of offense and 14 more points. I think that might satisfy a lot of people.

Like I said it's not all that is wrong but IMO it is the biggest part of it. MM and the coaches do deserve some of the blame but at some point the players have to do the job they are getting paid for and I think the biggest failure to do that right now is Aaron Rodgers and that is where it all starts.

Also, poor execution is not limited to specific drops, missed blocks and poor passes. It can be from poor decision making in the first place. The decision to force it deep on 2nd and 7 instead of taking a 5 yard gain and making 3rd down a little more manageable. Note my use of the word force. I'm not saying it is never a good thing to go deep on 2nd and 7 but if the deep guys are blanketed and the short guy is open throw it to the short guy.

I agree. I said this at one point towards the end of last season. It's almost as if AR and Co. have taken on this arrogance of "we are just THAT good and fans need to stop worrying about us, things will change and you will all see." I agree, they CAN be that good, but I have given up on the fact that a magic switch is going to turn on and the potent dynamic passing team we once saw will instantly be back. It's going to take some hard work, mental focus and maybe a new attitude of "hmmmm.....maybe we aren't all that great, but if we work hard together, we can be".

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The dropped catches have indeed been critical. It cost us at least 10 points and caused one interception Sunday night. Guys got to catch the ball more often.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Or 2-2, 1-3, 0-1-3, 0-2-2, 0-3-1, 1-0-3, 2-0-2, 3-0-1, 0-0-4, 1-1-2, 1-2-1, 2-1-1... ;)

Big issue with this team is field position. I did a quick review of the drive charts. If they start from inside the 20, they are dead. Think there have been 11 drives. 6 punts, 1 turnover on downs, 4 turnovers and no scores. They start from 25 yard or better then they score about 57% of the time. The game that they looked the best in so far offensively (Detroit) they didn't find themselves in that position. The worst (Minnesota) they had like 5 drives start back that far.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Big issue with this team is field position. I did a quick review of the drive charts. If they start from inside the 20, they are dead.

Thus the importance of having a quality punter who can help gain some field position back. Not a punter who allows the other team great field position and even if they don't move the ball, their punter just pins us back again.

H

HardRightEdge

Big issue with this team is field position. I did a quick review of the drive charts. If they start from inside the 20, they are dead. Think there have been 11 drives. 6 punts, 1 turnover on downs, 4 turnovers and no scores. They start from 25 yard or better then they score about 57% of the time. The game that they looked the best in so far offensively (Detroit) they didn't find themselves in that position. The worst (Minnesota) they had like 5 drives start back that far.
Field position has been a thorn in the side of this offense. The obvious emphasis on not turning the ball over gets dialed up a notch deep in their own territory with conservative play calling.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Field position has been a thorn in the side of this offense. The obvious emphasis on not turning the ball over gets dialed up a notch deep in their own territory with conservative play calling.
and a punter that keeps the ball on your side of the 50.

H

HardRightEdge

and a punter that keeps the ball on your side of the 50.
That issue is obvious and much commented on. Typically it is viewed as putting the defense at a disadvantage. However, when exchanging punts (which is a frequent occurrence in the NFL) and getting nothing out of the punt return game, the net loss on the subsequent offensive possession is an impediment.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Putting it very simply is the question...Of the three wins has any one of them been an inspiring, dominating victory ?
The answer is NO NO NO ! I think that is what has Packer fans a little edgy right now.

400 yards of offense is a nice statistic, but means nothing when you only have 23 points to show for it.

Last edited:

Latest posts