This Quote Sums It Up Nicely

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Putting it very simply is the question...Of the three wins has any one of them been an inspiring, dominating victory ?
The answer is NO NO NO ! I think that is what has Packer fans a little edgy right now.

400 yards of offense is a nice statistic, but means nothing when you only have 23 points to show for it.
dominating from start to finish? no, but there have been moments. Dropped and tipped to INT in scoring position by an offensive leader contributed to only having 23 and so did another dropped perfectly thrown ball in the endzone, but Adams had a good game, and how could you not notice Cobb's performance or Lacy's? or our offensive line? I'd call 3 of those 4 dominating performances. How could you not call the defensive performance dominating? Packer fans need to start appreciating football and not a fantasy game.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I am slowly coming to grips with the idea that the Packers have to win on defense and just not lose it on offense. Game manager mode on offense and a bend don't break defense. Need a really good punter yet to help flip field position to pull it off. More defensive stops outside of FG range would help too.

Reaction score
My guess is as good or bad as anybody's as to what we're missing.
IMO, I think fouls on ST are some of the most costly field position changers and yet we continue to commit the exact same holding calls every week on returns. Last week we had 3 consecutive ST fouls to start the second half. Fouls in general are hurtful (I'm picking on you Janis and Davante) because they can negate points, 1st downs and worsen Field position.
Negative TO ratio hurts us tremendously. The field position dictates time of possession and how aggressive or conservative the play calling gets. This is a direct relationship with momentum, which is the key ingredient in scoring.
This also is the case with Spotting the opponent the ball with a short field, the result of an INT, Sack, Fumble or a poor punt.
The good news is these can be a point of focus in practice and they are mostly mental errors. Which means they can be minimized or even eradicated from week to week.
If we had just 1 more good punt, 1 less ST foul, 1 more INT or FF and 1 more sack per game it would create enough momentum to swing a game by 1-2 scores

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the stubborn arrogance which defines this regime and is incredibly frustrating. You beat 3 teams with 5 combined wins in close games. You deserve a big pat on the back.

I don't mind that he said this, as much as the stubborn inability to adapt to the defensive schemes over the past year. Jordy returns, and we were supposed to believe things would be better, but now the passing offense has dropped to 27th in the league. If they can barely pass it against Jacksonville and the Giants when Rodgers has all day to throw, how are people supposed to be fine with it?

Cleveland has more passing yards per game, yards per attempt, and higher completion percentage . Given their QB situation, let that sink in and tell me that is acceptable.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Cleveland has more passing yards per game, yards per attempt, and higher completion percentage . Given their QB situation, let that sink in and tell me that is acceptable.
I don't have time to research the stats but are these play-from-behind garbage time numbers or are they throw and go right from the start?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have time to research the stats but are these play-from-behind garbage time numbers or are they throw and go right from the start?
3 of their 5 games were competitive throughout, and they were well below average against the Eagles and around their average against NE, so the majority are meaningful.

Reaction score
I sense MM is frustrated.. and he should be because we have been in an offensive funk for some time now. I'm a pretty positive guy but we need to have a complete game in the next few weeks or I'm gonna follow the Sitton path! :eek: J/k

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I sense MM is frustrated.. and he should be because we have been in an offensive funk for some time now. I'm a pretty positive guy but we need to have a complete game in the next few weeks or I'm gonna follow the Sitton path! :eek: J/k
Don't worry, Bears are up soon enough. You can get on their bandwagon while it is in town. Hopefully Cutler is back by then.

Reaction score
Ah yes. Old double chin.
Hmmmm. Second thought I'll stick with an underperforming Offense.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dominating from start to finish? no, but there have been moments. Dropped and tipped to INT in scoring position by an offensive leader contributed to only having 23 and so did another dropped perfectly thrown ball in the endzone, but Adams had a good game, and how could you not notice Cobb's performance or Lacy's? or our offensive line? I'd call 3 of those 4 dominating performances. How could you not call the defensive performance dominating? Packer fans need to start appreciating football and not a fantasy game.

Jags game.......Could have been lost on one play
Lions game.....Could have been tied on one play
Giants game....Could have been tied on one play

Dominating performances ? Yes, the D played very well.......D played well enough so the O didn't lose the games. The way the offense is playing won't cut it against good teams.

I regergitate:

The way the offense is playing won't cut it against good teams.

Last edited:

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last I looked, the Packers were 25th in Yards per game, 25th in points per game, and 18th in yards per play.

Um yeah Mike, offense is just fine.

There are strengths to this offense, but if he doesn't want to admit that this offense has some significant problems, then others will say so. Sorry you don't like it Mike.

Meanwhile, Tom Brady returns after a 4-game suspension and throws for over 400 yards and 3 TDs. No "out-of-sync" there eh? I can't remember the last time Rodgers threw for over 400 yards.

In addition to AR's decline in performance, I also think that the Packer receiving corps just isn't that good. The idea that Jordy Nelson's return was going to make everything better turns out to be have been wishful thinking. Packers #2 receiver is merely ok, the TE is definitely sub-par, and there's no Matt Forte on this team who is a great receiving RB.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jags game.......Could have been lost on one play
Lions game.....Could have been tied on one play
Giants game....Could have been tied on one play

Dominating performances ? Yes, the D played very well.......D played well enough so the O didn't lose the games. The way the offense is playing won't cut it against good teams.

I regergitate:

The way the offense is playing won't cut it against good teams.
Never said it would, it seems to be your position that it can't get any better. I wonder if you're watching? Things need to come together, but it isn't a play call, a faster receiver or anything other than making the plays that are right there made

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never said it would, it seems to be your position that it can't get any better. I wonder if you're watching? Things need to come together, but it isn't a play call, a faster receiver or anything other than making the plays that are right there made
I think we are all on board with taking human error out of the equation, but that's not going to happen. A better strategy is to call plays in which receivers can actually get open consistently, so that each drop or missed pass isn't so devastating.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is dead last in completion percentage amongst qualified quarterbacks and has not been even been average in a full season. Ya, nothing wrong with this offense at all.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we are all on board with taking human error out of the equation, but that's not going to happen. A better strategy is to call plays in which receivers can actually get open consistently, so that each drop or missed pass isn't so devastating.
Whatever man, you show me a team who's top receiver has it go off his hands in scoring position and results on an INT AND have a perfect TD pass be dropped in the same game, and I'll show you teams that are losing games.

Toss in the packers losing the turnover battle and the field position discrepancy, and I'll pick the loser every time.

Keep thinking this team isn't good with a huge potential to get better. Keep thinking it's the play calls that need to change.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever man, you show me a team who's top receiver has it go off his hands in scoring position and results on an INT AND have a perfect TD pass be dropped in the same game, and I'll show you teams that are losing games.

Toss in the packers losing the turnover battle and the field position discrepancy, and I'll pick the loser every time.

Keep thinking this team isn't good with a huge potential to get better. Keep thinking it's the play calls that need to change.
The play calls would be great, if we had receivers who could beat their CBs. That doesn't seem to be the case. The only potential that exists in this offense is Rodgers' ability to play backyard football, and the excellent offensive line play. The passing scheme is among the worst in the league.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The play calls would be great, if we had receivers who could beat their CBs. That doesn't seem to be the case. The only potential that exists in this offense is Rodgers' ability to play backyard football, and the excellent offensive line play. The passing scheme is among the worst in the league.
Man beater on 2, this tom I promise not to throw it in the dirt.

Ok, ok, sorry about that. This time, manbeater routes on 3, Jordy, don't drop it this time.

Damnit, let's go stack receivers double cross lmnop's double dog manbeaters on set. RR, don't drop my perfectly thrown certain touchdown pass when it hits you square in the hands.

This passing scheme has been among the best the league has ever seen. You do realize "manbeaters" aren't something the entire league hasn't seen or played against before right? Keep thinking different play calls and faster receivers is what's needed. None of it matters if you can't throw the ball where it needs to be, or can't catch it when it gets there. Drivekillers this year have been penalties and dropped passes. And people think it's scheme lol

D

Deleted member 6794

They want MM to say he doesn't know how to coach an offense or they want him to say Rodgers can't find an open guy anymore, or they want him to say the WR's just aren't good enough.

They do need to play better, but none of the above is true. There are little things in the offense that need work, and those aren't things they're going to talk about publicly and besides, most of us are too stupid football wise to understand anyway. They want to hear what they want to hear, just like the fans do. Problem is, the solution isn't where they're looking.

The coaching staff deserves some blame for players not performing up to potential though as well. Whatever the coaches have tried over the past 12 months to get the offense back on track hasn't worked. Expecting the problems to be solved doing the same over and over again is a huge mistake.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the 2016 version of Janis might deserve a couple of test throws downfield.

Let's give Davis a chance first, maybe he's capable of running a route without interferring with another receiver.

Big issue with this team is field position. I did a quick review of the drive charts. If they start from inside the 20, they are dead. Think there have been 11 drives. 6 punts, 1 turnover on downs, 4 turnovers and no scores. They start from 25 yard or better then they score about 57% of the time. The game that they looked the best in so far offensively (Detroit) they didn't find themselves in that position. The worst (Minnesota) they had like 5 drives start back that far.

While I agree that field position is important your numbers are a bit off. The Packers have started inside the 20 yard line a total of 15 times with the following results:

1 TD, 2 FG, 6 turnovers (one on downs), 6 punts, 0.87 average points per drive

The Packers have scored an average of 3.54 points per drive on the other 24 drives that didn't result in Rodgers kneeling down.

That is truly mind-boggling. And a lot of people tend to forget that has been going on since the fourth game of last season. The Packers finished in 30th in completion percentage and 26th in passing yards per game as well as Rodgers in 28th in passer rating and 31st in yards per attempt of 34 qualifying quarterbacks over the last 13 games in 2015.

Last I looked, the Packers were 25th in Yards per game, 25th in points per game, and 18th in yards per play.

FWIW the Packers are 11th in points per game.

This passing scheme has been among the best the league has ever seen. You do realize "manbeaters" aren't something the entire league hasn't seen or played against before right? Keep thinking different play calls and faster receivers is what's needed. None of it matters if you can't throw the ball where it needs to be, or can't catch it when it gets there. Drivekillers this year have been penalties and dropped passes. And people think it's scheme lol

I'm sorry but it's absolutely inexcusable that the coaching staff hasn't included more man-beater and crossing routes into the passing offense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why doesn't every team just run man beater routes every play? Receivers are getting open this year. Same qb, same coaches, same Randall Cobb, same plays. What wa the difference between las Sunday and last year? I'll give a hint: AC

D

Deleted member 6794

Why doesn't every team just run man beater routes every play? Receivers are getting open this year. Same qb, same coaches, same Randall Cobb, same plays. What wa the difference between las Sunday and last year? I'll give a hint: AC

There's no need to run man-beater routes on every play but they should for sure be a bigger part of the game plan.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I am LOL because in reading this thread, I had to check the post dates, since it felt a lot like posts we were all making last year (less the Defense playing well) for the better part of the season.

I think that is the most frustrating part for me, new season, same problems on offense, same explanations from the Packers, same hopes of fixing it by us fans. Yes, we are going to win games, but unless things improve with AR and the receivers, the better teams will beat us.

So much potential to be a great offense....or is there? Maybe our expectations are what need fixing?

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last season was so painful to watch that I honestly would go into every game stressed out and not even enjoy it. When I was at Lambeau for the Giants game, it reminded me that I need to relax and enjoy the game more. I'm going to do my best from here on out to just watch and enjoy.

We're 3-1 and our offense can be way, way better. I have faith in Rodgers to fix his sloppy play and we can see the offense we all know and love. I'd rather struggle now than struggle in December. We have time to fix this. Just keep winning.

Last edited:

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re watching the Giants game I noticed a lot of the passes were thrown to well covered receivers. Rodgers had ample time to survey the field, but seemed to have difficulty finding an open receiver. I would blame the receivers inability to get open more than Rodgers accuracy.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Re watching the Giants game I noticed a lot of the passes were thrown to well covered receivers. Rodgers had ample time to survey the field, but seemed to have difficulty finding an open receiver. I would blame the receivers inability to get open more than Rodgers accuracy.

I've seen it both ways.....no receivers getting open/open receivers but AR doesn't see them. Really hasn't been a case of just one or the other over the last year. Bottom line is, players and coaches need to figure out a solution. A solution that no doubt includes better execution by the players and better play calling by the coaches/AR.

Members online

No members online now.