This is what TT means about drafting "packer people"

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard working, determined, intelligent, sincere personality.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkIweh4CfDM]YouTube - The Road to Sundays - Brad Jones 2009 Draft Prospect[/ame]

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Graham falls to No. 23 then Ted will most definitely take him. Being a former NFL Linebacker and wanting more impact type players all of those things would fall in line. This kid is great and would really help us defensively.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
"If I didn't have football, I would be studying for the LSAT." Classy guy. Great asset to our team as well. Drafting guys like this is why I LOVE Ted Thompson. Bravo.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome interview...

Anyway, about Graham, after what I saw today, I'm all for it! He's a beast.

However, I'd rather have someone who can collapse the pocket from the inside.

But hey, Jones will improve, CM3 will improve (yeah, I know!!!), and Raji still has to show us why he was #9 overall. And who could decrease in produtivity? Charles Woodson? If Charles Woodson decreases in produtivity, he's going to be a top 10 CB...

I just have a good feeling about this team...

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
"If I didn't have football, I would be studying for the LSAT." Classy guy. Great asset to our team as well. Drafting guys like this is why I LOVE Ted Thompson. Bravo.
Why not study for the LSAT? Can't he do two things at one time? I would be more impressed if he said. "Even though I have football, I am still studying for the LSAT". Always have a back up plan. But I'm just being picky here.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not study for the LSAT? Can't he do two things at one time? I would be more impressed if he said. "Even though I have football, I am still studying for the LSAT". Always have a back up plan. But I'm just being picky here.

No matter how you phrase it I think he still meant that the LSAT is his alternative to footabll. And raptorman yes it is possible for him to do both but think about how stressful that is. There are only a handful of scholars who do well in both academics and in sports. Football is a 24 hour job day in and day out. An person can only do so much work in that period of time. Also, look at Myron Rolle who is entering the draft this season. He went to oxford university, one of the best if not the best school in the WORLD, and he is still deciding to play football.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score

Not me - as long as he is a member of my team I want him studying his playbook and film. There is time for academics when the curtain goes down... Right now I want him to be a full time Green Bay Packer.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not me - as long as he is a member of my team I want him studying his playbook and film. There is time for academics when the curtain goes down... Right now I want him to be a full time Green Bay Packer.

Which is exactly why he was productive in his first season. He truly picked up the defense awfully quickly for a 7th round draft pick and looked better at his spot than two time pro bowler Aaron Kampman.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score

You think you're just being picky here? Moderators stick up for you and then you say "things" like this. I will no longer respond or read anything you post.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
This is pretty simple. School will always be there, the NFL won't. The NFL is a young man's game and if he wants to go into a profession after the league, he will have that option. There is nothing about this kid that is worthy of criticism that doesn't involve his ability to get to the QB...

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
This is pretty simple. School will always be there, the NFL won't. The NFL is a young man's game and if he wants to go into a profession after the league, he will have that option. There is nothing about this kid that is worthy of criticism that doesn't involve his ability to get to the QB...

Very well put.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really liked what I saw from Jones in the end of the year. He proved he could be a great compliment to CM3 on the other side with his pass rushing ability... I think he did what everyone hoped from Kampman. I think he was a great pick and will be dangerous in the future. I really believe he has a lot of upside, he is clearly hardworking and people who are smart like him know how to get ahead.

We may have ourselves a nice OLB from the seventh round. That would be excellent. This draft may just go down as one of the best ever in GB history in terms of starters and contributors when Raji shows it and Quinn takes over, along with Lang.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allouez, easy man. I think you're overreacting a bit, but you have the right to do so.

You don't have the right, however, to resort to foul language when directing to other posters, be them Vikings, Cowboys, "Favre", or Bears fans...

There are, IMO, better ways to respond...

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Allouez, easy man. I think you're overreacting a bit, but you have the right to do so.

You don't have the right, however, to resort to foul language when directing to other posters, be them Vikings, Cowboys, "Favre", or Bears fans...

There are, IMO, better ways to respond...

Fair enough. I apologize.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
You think you're just being picky here? Moderators stick up for you and then you say "things" like this. I will no longer respond or read anything you post.
Fine, you don't like my opinion don't respond to it. But here's the thing. And this is for others that say there is always time for academics. The time is now. If he waits until he is out of football to take the LSAT's it will be that much harder for him. Of course he didn't say that is what he was going to do. He said if he didn't have football that is what he would be doing. Nothing he said indicates he will attempt to take it in the future. I hope he does. If he studies now while everything he learned in college is still some what fresh in his mind the test will be easier to take. Do this, take him out of football for a moment and put him in some other job, say manager of a store. Would you be saying the same thing, Gee, as long as he can manage a store he can wait to continue his education? (The reason I used store manager is because they put in long hours during the week.)

Many good players have studied while playing football, some have even gone to law school. It reminds me of the guys on Active duty in the Air Force saying, "When I get out I am going to college". Well why not while your in? They pay for most of it and you have the time. The point is once you get away from academics it is harder to go back to it. But since you won't read this it's a moot point.

He says academics always comes first, except for now that he is playing professionally. Now football is apparently first. I hope him all the best and I hope he continues his education. I just believe that if you are going to do it, don't quit for anything if you don't have to.

BTW, I would say the same to you or anyone else. Never quit school if you don't absolutely have to, it's too hard to get back to it if you are out to long. Don't evey stop working on your dreams and always have some type of skill that you can make money to pay the bills if need be.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
But here's the thing. And this is for others that say there is always time for academics. The time is now. If he waits until he is out of football to take the LSAT's it will be that much harder for him. Of course he didn't say that is what he was going to do. He said if he didn't have football that is what he would be doing. Nothing he said indicates he will attempt to take it in the future. I hope he does. If he studies now while everything he learned in college is still some what fresh in his mind the test will be easier to take. Do this, take him out of football for a moment and put him in some other job, say manager of a store. Would you be saying the same thing, Gee, as long as he can manage a store he can wait to continue his education? (The reason I used store manager is because they put in long hours during the week.)

Many good players have studied while playing football, some have even gone to law school. It reminds me of the guys on Active duty in the Air Force saying, "When I get out I am going to college". Well why not while your in? They pay for most of it and you have the time. The point is once you get away from academics it is harder to go back to it. But since you won't read this it's a moot point.

He says academics always comes first, except for now that he is playing professionally. Now football is apparently first. I hope him all the best and I hope he continues his education. I just believe that if you are going to do it, don't quit for anything if you don't have to.

BTW, I would say the same to you or anyone else. Never quit school if you don't absolutely have to, it's too hard to get back to it if you are out to long. Don't evey stop working on your dreams and always have some type of skill that you can make money to pay the bills if need be.
In general I'd agree with you but here is why I don't... at all...

Most people don't have the God-given athletic talent to make millions of dollars playing a game. Most people have to use their brains to go to school so they can earn a living and hopefully give their children a leg up on having a chance at a better life than they had.

Millionaires don't quite have this problem. He can take all the time he wants in school. Hell, if he needs to he can even re-take a course or two if brushing up isn't enough to pass the tests he needs to pass. He will likely be under no real life pressures to do well on entrance exams immediately.

For most people school is the best route to success. When you have the advantage of playing in the NFL for a few years first, school is a novelty that you are participating in because you WANT to not because you NEED to.

The store manager analogy just doesn't slice it, unless it pays a several hundred thousand dollars per year minimum. If Jones gets a second contract (and since it looks like he can play so it looks probable), then I don't think he will need to worry much about how he'll put food on the table as a "poor student." If he is worried about injury there is insurance for that.

charlotte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's another thing. Those who want an education, get one. Doesn't matter how old you are.

I prefer he concentrate on football for now. The Packers' playbook is thick enough and he needs to be very well versed in it.

ps. you make a statement that active service people get their education paid for. Guess what. So do those who complete their military obligation...no matter when. My husband just got his degree, bought and paid for by the VA. And he's been out of the military since 1972.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's another thing. Those who want an education, get one. Doesn't matter how old you are.

I prefer he concentrate on football for now. The Packers' playbook is thick enough and he needs to be very well versed in it.

ps. you make a statement that active service people get their education paid for. Guess what. So do those who complete their military obligation...no matter when. My husband just got his degree, bought and paid for by the VA. And he's been out of the military since 1972.
I also prefer him to focus on our playbook, but that's IMHO generated by a selfish reason.

I actually agreed with Raptorman, till Clay's Jock Strap made a great point about how a richer person has a better entrance into the academic world, and that it'd actually be easier for him to retake studies after his career.

To sum it up, I agree with Raptorman's philosophy about never letting go of study opportunities, regardless, but in this specific case, I believe Clay's Jock Strap is 100% right.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fine, you don't like my opinion don't respond to it. But here's the thing. And this is for others that say there is always time for academics. The time is now. If he waits until he is out of football to take the LSAT's it will be that much harder for him. Of course he didn't say that is what he was going to do. He said if he didn't have football that is what he would be doing. Nothing he said indicates he will attempt to take it in the future. I hope he does. If he studies now while everything he learned in college is still some what fresh in his mind the test will be easier to take. Do this, take him out of football for a moment and put him in some other job, say manager of a store. Would you be saying the same thing, Gee, as long as he can manage a store he can wait to continue his education? (The reason I used store manager is because they put in long hours during the week.)

I understand what you're trying to say. There is definitely time to do both based on the posibility that Jones can actually achieve it. However do you think it's actually reasonable.? Going to law school and being in the NFL would just be awfully stressfull and it might take the success away from both areas if you apply too much pressure on yourself. While he does have plenty of time to do both, he should take the time to excel in the area that he wants to be happy with. Imagine you have the best doctor in the world and he said that he has the capability to become a pro boxer. Would it be right for him to do that just because he said he can?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
In general I'd agree with you but here is why I don't... at all...

Most people don't have the God-given athletic talent to make millions of dollars playing a game. Most people have to use their brains to go to school so they can earn a living and hopefully give their children a leg up on having a chance at a better life than they had.

Millionaires don't quite have this problem. He can take all the time he wants in school. Hell, if he needs to he can even re-take a course or two if brushing up isn't enough to pass the tests he needs to pass. He will likely be under no real life pressures to do well on entrance exams immediately.

For most people school is the best route to success. When you have the advantage of playing in the NFL for a few years first, school is a novelty that you are participating in because you WANT to not because you NEED to.

The store manager analogy just doesn't slice it, unless it pays a several hundred thousand dollars per year minimum. If Jones gets a second contract (and since it looks like he can play so it looks probable), then I don't think he will need to worry much about how he'll put food on the table as a "poor student." If he is worried about injury there is insurance for that.
Millions of dollars. Yup. Do you know how many NFL players actually "blow" all their money before they are even out of the league? Quite a few. I remember a story in the Washington Post a few year back that looked at the problem. Unfortunately it was several years ago and I cannot find a link. Problem is most players don't invest very well and when they leave football, unless they have had good advice, they have nothing left. And for every 3 million they make they end up with about 1 million in their pocket. And to top it off, many of these players never "finished" the degree they were working on while in school.

The reason I used store managers is because of how much time they put in, not how much money they make.

Charlotte. It's great that your husband got his degree. And for the most part the VA will pay for school. Although it's not paid for like you think. For example, when I enlisted, if I did not put some of my money away for school then my benefits are $0. It was called VEAP, and it ran from 77-85. So for those vets that enlisted then, if they put nothing in they get nothing out. Current rules pretty much limit your payments to within the 10 years following release from active duty. So if you wait, you stand a good chance of getting nothing.

And Clay, school is never a novelty, if as a coach I found out a player felt that way about school, I would not want him on my team. But that's just me.

Like I said, good luck to the kid and I hope he does well. (except of course for at least two games a year.)

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Millions of dollars. Yup. Do you know how many NFL players actually "blow" all their money before they are even out of the league? Quite a few.

Is this thread about a guy smart enough to go on to law school or Bryant McKinnie? I have a feeling that the brains may just help him manage his money a little bit better than the average bear too... Geeeze man, think...

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Is this thread about a guy smart enough to go on to law school or Bryant McKinnie? I have a feeling that the brains may just help him manage his money a little bit better than the average bear too... Geeeze man, think...
I don't know. Since he hasn't taken the LSAT's we won't know if he is smart enough to go to law school. I will assume he is. And I find it ironic that someone who blast's a fan of one team for making statements about the decisions of a player on his team turns around and questions the intelligence of a player on a rival team. (Although I think many here and many Viking fans would agree with you on that statement after this past weekend.)

NYPacker. I never said he should go to Law School while playing, I said he should try to study and take the LSAT's, while what he learned in school is still somewhat fresh in his mind. Others have gone to Law school while playing, so it is not an impossible task to study for the LSAT's while playing. But I also understand that he may not want to. I guess the Packers defensive playbook is just so hard that it takes ups all of his off time.

Latest posts