this is the official Driver thread

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
OH.EMM.GEE......

One thread that i'm so THRILLED that I clicked on tonight!!!!!

to all the naysayers.........BOOM!:barefoot:

He restructured his contract. That doesn't mean he has a guaranteed roster spot. If one of the youngsters works hard and earns a roster spot, they will likely have to keep six WRs for DD to have a place on the team.

CarolinaPackerFan

Packers fan in Panthers country
Reaction score
Donald indicated long ago that he'd take a cut to be back this year. That was understood.

The tricky part has always been what to do with Tori Gurley. Dude is ready for primetime. Can, will, we keep 6 WRs when only 4 can be out there at the same time? Perhaps.

I love Donald!
As my avy has clearly demonstrated!

I'm also curious to see what happens with Gurley. From what I've heard he deserves some playing time this year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He restructured his contract. That doesn't mean he has a guaranteed roster spot. If one of the youngsters works hard and earns a roster spot, they will likely have to keep six WRs for DD to have a place on the team.

But lot of people figured DD was going to be cut...

In fact some rumblings from a far away forum, where SOME posters said every year DD would be cut ONLY cuz he was a friend of Brett

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What benefits are those?
Merchandising benefits.
Approximately 40% of the team's revenue comes from marketing/Pro Shop.
Driver is now a national star, which is great from the Packers' standpoint of, to put it baldly, selling stuff.
They're not letting him go now, which runs counter to how Thompson has dealt w/many aging players in the past.
A question one could ask is: If he never appears on 'Dancing With The Stars', would they have dropped him by now?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Now that DD is signed, I'm not suggesting he'll be waived. I'm just suggesting that, unfortunately, I think it would be best for the team if he is.

There's a pay article I can't link that provides some statistical support for this point of view. I haven't doubled checked the stats but here they are:

Driver's 37 catches for 455 yards, was his worst season since 2001. His 12.0 ypc was his second-lowest since 2000. Tellingly his worst was his 11.1 ypc average in 2010. Of the 115 receivers who played at least 25 percent of his team’s offensive snaps last season, Driver ranked 75th with 3.8 Yards After the Catch per reception, according to Pro Football Focus. He ranked 71st in 2010 with 3.6 YAC per catch.

Should DD take snaps away from Jones or Cobb? Jones and Cobb both had 7.7 YAC. Cobb had 51 more YAC than Driver despite 12 fewer catches and 23 fewer targeted passes. Jones and Cobb each broke 6 tackles, Driver broke just one.

DD was 18th among NFL receivers catching 68.5% of passes thrown his way. That's good but Cobb was 2nd, Nelson 7th, Jones 12th and Jennings 14th. (Those numbers have a lot to do with who was throwing them the ball.)

Those numbers and my eyes tell me DD is the 5th best WR on the team. IMO that player shouldn't make the amount of money DD will and he should excel at STs. He should be a youngster working his way up the roster. If they keep 6 WRs, which youngster at another position loses his spot? As I've posted, I love Driver's contributions to the franchise. I just think it's time to say a fond farewell to him.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DONALD DRIVER vs TERRELL OWENS.... good article, nationally.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19205518/to-and-driver-done-and-how-its-done-right-in-todays-nfl

The man with the action-figure body and Hall of Fame talent likely will never play football again. He was ousted from an Indoor Football League team. The only thing lower would be getting cut from a flag football squad. He's a scoundrel.
The man with the moderate talent, the man who was always good, but not great, is going out the way he wants. He has been less talented than action-figure Terrell Owens, less known, and also less trouble. He was also steady on the field and off. This week, Donald Driver completed a deal that will make him a "Packer for life." He's the anti-Terrell Owens. He's a hero.

It's rare that in literally a 72-hour span, the NFL draws this kind of startling contrast. Good guy and bad guy, uber-talent and workhorse, good side of the force, wrong side of the force -- all are great clichés used in sports that are often false.
In seeing the careers of Owens and Driver end in such different ways those clichés come to life. One man's life is a cautionary tale, the other an inspiration, and we watched the culmination of a career of decisions -- in one case many of them bad ones, in another almost all the right ones.

If the NFL wanted to produce a video to scare its incoming rookies straight, they have many choices, but one of them would focus on this week. The week when the career of a Hall of Famer officially died because of self-inflicted wounds and a good player signed on to go out his way.

Owens will never play in the NFL again. Is there a .1 percent chance some GM will take a chance? Sure. Still the Owens baggage is so voluminous an airline wouldn't touch him, let alone an NFL team. At least, we think no team is that dumb.

Driver is the opposite. It was interesting watching social media reaction not only in Green Bay (but especially in Green Bay) as Driver made his way through the Dancing With The Stars competition. There was almost a sense of euphoria from the NFL community, and it seemed larger and more sincere than when other NFL players won on the show. In a way, that's a typical reaction to Driver.

He's always been one of the forgotten, really good players. Driver is the all-time Packers leader with 735 catches for 10,060 yards for what is probably the most-storied franchise in the NFL, and over the years he's received a fraction of the attention received by Owens.

Part of it is playing in Green Bay, and part of it was the talent difference. But most of all, Driver has never been an excessive showboat. He's a showman. There's a difference. He'll perform the occasional first-down shimmy but those moves were always more for fans than himself.

Driver and Owens both did dirty work across the dangerous middle of the football field (a part of Owens' legacy that is unfairly ignored). What Driver did that Owens would not is subject his abilities for the greater good of the team. Driver probably could have had far bigger numbers if he played elsewhere. And while numbers are important to Driver, they don't define him. With Owens, they did.

Driver cared about loyalty and winning. Owens cared about Owens and Owens.
No one is shocked Owens was released by essentially a minor, minor league team because of a lack of effort or skipping out on a visit to a children's hospital. Or that he's broke. Or the large number of turdulent things he's done throughout his career and life. There's no need to rehash all of that.

What's important is that Owens is second in all-time NFL receiving yards and he was just cut by the IFL. I used to think the IFL was a Russian ballistic missile system. No, it's a league, and one of the most physically gifted players in NFL history just got the boot from the Texas Wranglers.
"It is impossible to maintain a player when even our fans notice and comment on a player's lack of effort both on and off the field," Wranglers owner Jon Frankel said.
Burn. One of the many indictments of Owens. While no one has ever questioned the effort of Driver. Another reason why we'll never see Owens in an NFL uniform again and why Driver will leave the sport as a Packer. On his own terms.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
Thank God!!!!! Some of the forum posts made me a little anxious for the ol' boy's fate, so happy it's to stay in Green Bay! Of course, I know, there's a slight chance he's cut in training camp, but I'd hope the contract restructuring this early in the off season is a sign of a solid commitment to keeping DD for the duration.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know of a single Packers fan who doesn't love Donald Driver. He has been a phenomenal Packer getting as much out of his potential as any player I have ever seen. From an emotional point of view I'd like to see him retire as a Packer whenever he wants to. But from a business point of view I think it's time for the Packers to move on even if DD takes a substantial pay cut. As almost all of us know, the Packers are deep at WR. I agree with those who believe Cobb will take over the #3 slot receiver spot and I think he has a realistic chance of having a breakout year. Since Finley is used as a quasi WR along with Jennings and Nelson that's as good a four-deep receiver corps as exists in the league IMO. If you count Finley as a WR, does any team have a better #5 WR than James Jones? Not only that but the Packers like Tori Gurley and Diondre Borel so much, last season they paid each of them extra to stay on the PS so they'd be available this season. They've added three UDFAs WRs, one of note is Dale Moss, who has the size and athleticism to perhaps take a spot on the PS this season and work his way up the roster ladder. The Packers are ridiculously deep at WR and Ted Thompson excels at drafting them as well.

Aside from emotion one reason I've heard/seen for keeping DD is his leadership in the locker room. While that is a legitimate point, I don't think the Packers lack player leadership in the locker room and the more diminished DD's impact on the field the less relevant his leadership IMO. (Although I'm obviously an outsider, I believe Charles Woodson's leadership is much more important than DD's.) The other point is DD outperformed every other WR in the playoff loss. That too is legit but NFL football is a numbers game and DD is 37 years old. He's 9 years older than the next oldest WR. There are 4 receivers ahead of him on the depth chart, including Finley. I think Ted Thompson believes it's preferable to waive goodbye to players one year early rather than one year late. I'm certain he believes the NFL is a young man's game. Even if DD can squeeze another season out of his aging body, there's another important number in this equation: There's only 1 ball. The youngsters need reps in practice and time waits for no one. I know it sounds cold and heartless but Thompson says it's a "big boys" game and I think it's time for the great Donald Driver to make room for the future. I'm not predicting it'll happen, just sadly advocating for it.

I agree with your analysis from a business point of view: it's best to part ways with driver.

A few weeks ago in another thread, I remarked that it can be difficult to reconcile notions of honor and loyalty with the NFL as a business and I believe situations such as this provide the example. (The distinction you draw between the "emotional point of view" and the "business point of view" underscores the point.)

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Merchandising benefits.
Approximately 40% of the team's revenue comes from marketing/Pro Shop.
Driver is now a national star, which is great from the Packers' standpoint of, to put it baldly, selling stuff.
They're not letting him go now, which runs counter to how Thompson has dealt w/many aging players in the past.
A question one could ask is: If he never appears on 'Dancing With The Stars', would they have dropped him by now?

Sorry, but nobody is going to suddenly start buying a bunch of Packers merchandise because of a stupid dance competition and it has nothing to do with restructuring his contract.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thank God!!!!! Some of the forum posts made me a little anxious for the ol' boy's fate, so happy it's to stay in Green Bay! Of course, I know, there's a slight chance he's cut in training camp, but I'd hope the contract restructuring this early in the off season is a sign of a solid commitment to keeping DD for the duration.

He's going to improve on the 8 drops last year though.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, but nobody is going to suddenly start buying a bunch of Packers merchandise because of a stupid dance competition and it has nothing to do with restructuring his contract.

Really?

I bet his jersey sales go up..

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was not a fan of the show either, and never bothered tuning in, but like it or not, his appearance and win is a positive for the team.
I think longtimefan is correct and Driver jersey sales go up.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would certainly expect Donald's jersey sales to go up. Why would anyone dispute that?

Still, that had nothing whatsoever to do with TT bringing him back or anything like that.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not trying to make the case that TT brings Driver back only because he wins the dance contest.
I'm submitting the idea that winning the thing, and the resulting PR, may be one factor at play.
It seems slightly out of character for TT to not purge a player at this age.

Reaction score
I think I was one of the few that truly believed he would be back next season. If Ted wanted him gone, he would have cut Donald right when offseason began.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to make the case that TT brings Driver back only because he wins the dance contest.
I'm submitting the idea that winning the thing, and the resulting PR, may be one factor at play.
It seems slightly out of character for TT to not purge a player at this age.

I think it didnt matter if he won it or not...From what I have "heard" it was in the works long before he won

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Who is WE ALL thought?

Proof that you really dont read our forum, just come here to spam..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Members online

Latest posts