this is the official Driver thread

peteralan71

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is an amazing player and an amazing person. He gave his all during the last game against the Giants and if we could bring him back for a decided last year, I think that would make all parties happy because he could play his "last game" at Lambeau with the proper recognition instead of having his last game as a Packer be one that people didn't even realize held that title. He'll play for less, keep him on.

Chillarfan54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see him with any other team, but us. Can't anyone retire a Packer now a days?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As tough as it is, because DD is one of the best representations of the Packers there is, it is the smart decision to require a substantial paycut or release him and let him pursue other avenues. I absolutely hate the idea of him not retiring a Packer but when it comes to smart decisions for the team you gotta do it.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Donald_Driver80: Tweeps: when I said I will be a Packer for life. It is now true.

Packer for life.

Would take that as his agent and GB pounded out the details to a new 2 yr deal for the ol boy.

Be interesting to see the numbers, and what the future holds for our PS prospects now that

Donald will be a packer for at least this year and possibly one more.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
OH.EMM.GEE......

One thread that i'm so THRILLED that I clicked on tonight!!!!!

to all the naysayers.........BOOM!:barefoot:

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donald indicated long ago that he'd take a cut to be back this year. That was understood.

The tricky part has always been what to do with Tori Gurley. Dude is ready for primetime. Can, will, we keep 6 WRs when only 4 can be out there at the same time? Perhaps.

I love Donald!
As my avy has clearly demonstrated!

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
I think in Moneyball terms if we can get Donald for cheap and he can play then put him on the field. Good cuz you know not everyone is going to stay healthy.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad he has restructured his contract but I hope if in camp it's clear who is better they make a football decision and not business decision.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I really believe Driver will re sign at some point before training camp...

He will then be given the chance to compete with the new WR on the roster...He still has skills, but will he be able to beat out some of the newer guys??

Packers will give him every chance to win a roster spot, it will be up to him to grab one.. I dont think they want to just release him...

Why dont people believe me?

L

Lunchboxer

I would keep him for the sheer fact he dident drop any balls in that playoff game.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course none of us know what the front office is thinking about the great dancer but IMO one thing is clear: Even if Driver does come back it makes no sense for him to do so at his current salary. Setting emotion aside, IMO it makes more sense to make room for the youngsters.

I totally agree. I understand the emotion but Donald has had a great career. He shouldn't be kept at the expense of a promising youngster.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope they keep him, albeit at a reduced price.
As much as it has nothing to do with the game of football, keeping the winner of Dancing With The Stars would be a good PR move, and a good business move.
Maybe those benefits outweigh replacing him with a youngster who may offer a slight upside in their first season of action.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Indeed. Driver still needs to win a roster spot but he has a restructured contract that levels the field a bit. I assume that he inked a deal for the veteran minimum (we'll find out today or tomorrow) but he'll still be more expensive than any young receivers....so Donald needs to prove his worth. I'm happy for this move. I think that it gives the Packers the ability to save face if Driver can't win a spot, and it gives Driver the opportunity to retire as a Packer if he is going to get cut.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I hope they keep him, albeit at a reduced price.
As much as it has nothing to do with the game of football, keeping the winner of Dancing With The Stars would be a good PR move, and a good business move.
Maybe those benefits outweigh replacing him with a youngster who may offer a slight upside in their first season of action.

What benefits are those?

Staff online

Latest posts