This draft sucks

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are my feelings
1. This draft sucks
2. We lost talent and done absolutely nothing to replace them
3. We haven't gotten any pieces to improve coupled with the loss of talent we have actually gotten worse
4. Jordan Love will not even begin to pay dividends (and that's only if he is good) for another 3 seasons at least
5. I'm getting the feeling gute doesn't care about the next 3 seasons
6. Why are the Packers disrespecting Rodgers like this?
7. We still have no number 2 receiver
8. Our defense still can't stop the run(and that's an understatement)
9. I think this season is over before it even began
10. I think gute is content with winning the north(even though with the moves vikqueens are making I doubt we will win the north) and this is making me wish Ted Thompson was still here and that scares me!

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are my feelings
1. This draft sucks - no way to know... Only 40% in and can't eval for a few seasons.
2. We lost talent and done absolutely nothing to replace them- yet. And we didn't lose much TBH
3. We haven't gotten any pieces to improve coupled with the loss of talent we have actually gotten worse. Wrong. We have a potential future QB, and a replacement for a RB we likely a) can't afford next year and B) may not want to hang around.
4. Jordan Love will not even begin to pay dividends (and that's only if he is good) for another 3 seasons at least. I remember this game... Didn't we play it in 2005?
5. I'm getting the feeling gute doesn't care about the next 3 seasons. If this team plays the way you and some *expect*, he won't be a GM here or elsewhere in 3 yrs. Seems like a poor career plan.
6. Why are the Packers disrespecting Rodgers like this? Bc AR isn't the owner, nor was Favre. GM's and coaches look at what can set a team up to be successful for more than this year.
7. We still have no number 2 receiver. Lots said the same behind Jordy in 2015. Devante was "Butterfingers". Year 3 is WR Year. We have 3 strong options to make a leap.
8. Our defense still can't stop the run(and that's an understatement). See WR above
9. I think this season is over before it even began. You must not understand how football works
10. I think gute is content with winning the north(even though with the moves vikqueens are making I doubt we will win the north) and this is making me wish Ted Thompson was still here and that scares me! Calm down. /QUOTE]

To say this team is looking for a reason not to get better is just silly.

If anything, this should be a rally cry to the roster in place. The front office is saying "We believe in our team. We have the right players, who are peaking at the right time. Our draft is about planning for the future".

And for perspective on my Adams answer above:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...kers-davante-adams-wasnt-proud-of-2015-season

Last edited:

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beyond pathetic. The fact we couldn't trade up for one of the top 10 receivers is beyond embarrassing. Let's have fun with MVS running bad routes as our #3 receiver. This is a ****ing embarrassment.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beyond pathetic. The fact we couldn't trade up for one of the top 10 receivers is beyond embarrassing. Let's have fun with MVS running bad routes as our #3 receiver. This is a ******* embarrassment.

You are assuming we didn't try to make a move up for one of the top WRs. You do need to find another GM to make a deal, right? I'm gonna guess they couldn't find a trading partner so they decided to make a play near the backend of the first round for a QB they really liked for the future without sacrificing a lot of draft capital.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This draft does suck immensely. I am so sick and tired of trading up in the first round; takes away all our ammunition when we have multiple holes to fill. 2nd round is a much better place to trade uo, and Mims made it awfully close to us. Not for a QB who won't see the field for many years, who is not the generational talent Aaron was when he came out of college and who puts Aaron's contract in a ****** spot.

And a damn RB in the second round, are you kidding me? Don't understand the TE pick either. So what, we are going to count on Rodgers doing his magic again with Adams and .....? Funches?? MVS? Lazard? We are going to count on our Run Defense improving by subtracting Blake and adding injury-prone Kirksey? Absolutely Laughable.

I like what Gute has done in general over the past years. The only move I didn't agree with at the time was trading up for Savage, but okay. But if there was ever uncertainty that we were never going to get to another SB with Arod, it is confirmed now by picking players who will all see the bench this year. Good luck finding an impact WR, LB or DT/OT in the 5th round. Thanks a lot Brian!

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This draft does suck immensely. I am so sick and tired of trading up in the first round; takes away all our ammunition when we have multiple holes to fill. 2nd round is a much better place to trade uo, and Mims made it awfully close to us. Not for a QB who won't see the field for many years, who is not the generational talent Aaron was when he came out of college and who puts Aaron's contract in a ****** spot.

And a damn RB in the second round, are you kidding me? Don't understand the TE pick either. So what, we are going to count on Rodgers doing his magic again with Adams and .....? Funches?? MVS? Lazard? We are going to count on our Run Defense improving by subtracting Blake and adding injury-prone Kirksey? Absolutely Laughable.

I like what Gute has done in general over the past years. The only move I didn't agree with at the time was trading up for Savage, but okay. But if there was ever uncertainty that we were never going to get to another SB with Arod, it is confirmed now by picking players who will all see the bench this year. Good luck finding an impact WR, LB or DT/OT in the 5th round. Thanks a lot Brian!

I thought the consensus over Savage was positive last year...

OP
OP
T

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers had more help we would have multiple Superbowls. I don't know why you said Rodgers isn't the owner. The Packers have no single owner. But the Packers have continuously disrespected Rodgers and that is not okay to treat the face of your franchise who has been carrying you for the last decade plus. And you seem to have a lot of hope these picks work out because you keep mentioning the past (2005,Jordy) but those were dumb luck plain and simple we can't rely on luck alone we need preparation and smarte moves. Rodgers isn't going anywhere until 2023 because of his contract. A smart team would not throw away the next three seasons for a hope and a prayer 3 years from now that's just dumb. There are ways to prepare for the future without sacrificing the present! And please tell me how out of all of the talent we lost and didn't replace that we aren't that "much" worse.( Even if your statement is true even though I disagree, we have still gotten worse and after Sam Fran whooped us twice are you okay with that?)

OP
OP
T

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are assuming we didn't try to make a move up for one of the top WRs. You do need to find another GM to make a deal, right? I'm gonna guess they couldn't find a trading partner so they decided to make a play near the backend of the first round for a QB they really liked for the future without sacrificing a lot of draft capital.
It has already been stated by multiple sources and is now well known that they always wanted Jordan Love they moved up specifically to get him. Matt lafeur wanted him especially

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the consensus over Savage was positive last year...
The consensus was, but I wasn't happy with the move. I believed Savage was the top safety yes, but I felt like the dropoff to a Thornhill or Gardner-Johnson wasn't too big and that there would be a comfortable chance that any, if not all of these 3 would be available at pick 30.. time will tell of course how different they really are, but from what I heard both Thornhill and Gardner Johnson did well in Kansas and NO respectively.

Still, that move wasn't as bad as trading up for Love, using 2 picks of the 4 we needed to address our 4 actual needs (WR, ILB, OT, DT) to FINALLY get over the hump and field a complete team for the first time in recent memory. To make matters worse we are drafting a RB and a TE next, making it impossible to improve our run defense and worse, our WR corps. In a historically rich WR draft. There is literally no excuses.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the most perplexed I've ever been watching drafts over the years, and by far. I guess I don't know what Gute's game plan was going into this one. I assumed this was going to be a draft where they would address needs and make a run at another Super Bowl while Rodgers is still here. Instead it looks anything but. This looks like a rebuilding draft. Not only that, but they are reaching for players that would've been sitting there two or three rounds later. I would think with Rodgers in the twilight of his career they would be in a "win now" mindset. Obviously that's not the case. Looks like we're going to have the same weaknesses we had last season, and they're going to be more severe this coming season, and if Gute and MLF think they can pull off another 13-3 season and NFCCG appearance out of this roster again they're in for a rude awakening. Constructed now, this is a 4 win team. I'm almost hoping the season gets canceled.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute is clearly a Ted Thompson disciple. I e. He sucks. Soft, terrible franchise with a HOF QB carrying them and I hope demands a trade

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the most perplexed I've ever been watching drafts over the years, and by far. I guess I don't know what Gute's game plan was going into this one. I assumed this was going to be a draft where they would address needs and make a run at another Super Bowl while Rodgers is still here. Instead it looks anything but. This looks like a rebuilding draft. I would think with Rodgers in the twilight of his career they would be in a "win now" mindset. Obviously that's not the case. Looks like we're going to have the same weaknesses we had last season, and they're going to be more severe this coming season, and if Gute and MLF think they can pull off another 13-3 season and NFCCG appearance out of this roster again they're in for a rude awakening. Constructed now, this is a 4 win team. I'm almost hoping the season gets canceled.
At this point, I am sure they are banking on becoming a middle of the Pack team again in order to draft the actual contributors to get to a SB with Aaron next year.

Wildcatk23

Repeat?
Reaction score
The @Raiders are really trying to get Derek Carr some weapons for 2020
- Round 1: WR Henry Ruggs
- Round 3: WR Lynn Bowden Jr.
- Round 3: WR Bryan Edwards

Looks like the raiders have the right idea.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The @Raiders are really trying to get Derek Carr some weapons for 2020
- Round 1: WR Henry Ruggs
- Round 3: WR Lynn Bowden Jr.
- Round 3: WR Bryan Edwards

Looks like the raiders have the right idea.
We never cared to take that freaking approach in 12 freaking years with Rodgers

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We never cared to take that freaking approach in 12 freaking years with Rodgers
to suggest Rodgers hasn't had extremely good passing targets for pretty much all of his career outside of last year, is silly.
Driver, Jennings, Jones, Finley, Cobb, Nelson.

and how many times have the Raiders made big noise with their WR's? how many times has it resulted in anything positive? If these 3 picks for them are great for the next 10 years, good, they've caught up to what Rodgers has had pretty much his entire career.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My God, this crowd.

It's ok to not like the picks. Hell, I don't like them over others.

It's a whole other thing to insinuate that this team is trying to become a mid tier team on purpose.

I believe this team and it's gm/coach are drafting the players they think are going to win the Superbowl. To say that you disagree with their choices is one thing, to say they are purposely sinking the team for nefarious reasons is silly.

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of the posts here are correct
AR is regressing but still is really good
Over the years he was phenomenal and had some pretty solid targets but our defenses were usually suspect enough not to get us to the big dance
We were regularly 2 wins better just on AR’s supreme talent
Gutes draft performance has been earful
Gutes FA performance has been good
Our defense has improved while the offense regressed
13-3 was an aberration...they were a 10-6 team
If we all say ARs contract precludes is from trading him and he has gas in the tank this draft should have been all about this year...it wasn’t and now it’s no mans land
Rodgers will be pissed and is going to mail it in. No RT or blocking TE will get him hurt
No receiver help eliminates our passing game and they’ll crash our run
The defense has no LBs so we have an exposed young secondary who’ll either get torched regularly or run over since our cline is to light and unsupported in the run
This year we are 6-10 with a bleak future
Vikings did a great job plugging holes
Bears improved
Lions still suck
We are totally screwed for 4+ years
Love will be a bust....all sorts of red flags here
Dillion is done inside 2 years

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My God, this crowd.

It's a whole other thing to insinuate that this team is trying to become a mid tier team on purpose.

I believe this team and it's gm/coach are drafting the players they think are going to win the Superbowl. To say that you disagree with their choices is one thing, to say they are purposely sinking the team for nefarious reasons is silly.
I think they are grossly incompetent and have a terrible strategy based on our currrnt situation. How in your most wildest dreams say they are trying to win a Super Bowl when we draft 3 players who have no chance of starting and address two of the three areas we had strength and the three areas of need are left unattended?
They are amateurs in a mans world
The picks are disconnected from reality and even from one another (pick a big banging fullback and then a light TE that can’t block to help him.....WTF!!!!????)

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of the posts here are correct
AR is regressing but still is really good
Over the years he was phenomenal and had some pretty solid targets but our defenses were usually suspect enough not to get us to the big dance
We were regularly 2 wins better just on AR’s supreme talent
Gutes draft performance has been earful
Gutes FA performance has been good
Our defense has improved while the offense regressed
13-3 was an aberration...they were a 10-6 team
If we all say ARs contract precludes is from trading him and he has gas in the tank this draft should have been all about this year...it wasn’t and now it’s no mans land
Rodgers will be pissed and is going to mail it in. No RT or blocking TE will get him hurt
No receiver help eliminates our passing game and they’ll crash our run
The defense has no LBs so we have an exposed young secondary who’ll either get torched regularly or run over since our cline is to light and unsupported in the run
This year we are 6-10 with a bleak future
Vikings did a great job plugging holes
Bears improved
Lions still suck
We are totally screwed for 4+ years
Love will be a bust....all sorts of red flags here
Dillion is done inside 2 years

It is just silly to judge a draft before the freaking mini camp. The RT we got isn't chopped liver and the TE we drafted yesterday is the prototype blocking TE. IMO switching our offense to more of a running game is good thing when your team is in northeastern Wisconsin. If we have a good running game that will keep pass rushers honest and will keep our aging QB from getting hammered.

Reaction score
The consensus was, but I wasn't happy with the move. I believed Savage was the top safety yes, but I felt like the dropoff to a Thornhill or Gardner-Johnson wasn't too big and that there would be a comfortable chance that any, if not all of these 3 would be available at pick 30.. time will tell of course how different they really are, but from what I heard both Thornhill and Gardner Johnson did well in Kansas and NO respectively.

Still, that move wasn't as bad as trading up for Love, using 2 picks of the 4 we needed to address our 4 actual needs (WR, ILB, OT, DT) to FINALLY get over the hump and field a complete team for the first time in recent memory. To make matters worse we are drafting a RB and a TE next, making it impossible to improve our run defense and worse, our WR corps. In a historically rich WR draft. There is literally no excuses.
I’m not sure what the ultimate game plan is, but most GM’s are looking at a 3 year outlook and I’ve heard that discussed several times before. I’m as surprised at anyone at not addressing MY needs, but I also don’t know the mid-long term objective. I will just say that our concerns expected BUT.. how many posters in here defend the BAP at each selection? I’ve heard that argument for years, but some of those same posters are now jumping ship at the very first sign of staying the course, which I don’t think is a prudent or honorable reaction.

This team is still very good and don’t forget we get EQ, Funchess, Jace, Josiah and AJ all thrown in the mixing bowl that we didn’t have last year. We lost Graham? I’m not overly concerned there.

I will admit I’m a little concerned at not beefing up the Run D. Personally, I’d consolidate picks down to move up earlier rounds 5 -7.

Last edited:

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My God, this crowd.

Of course we don't actually believe that, it's just the salt we mined after finding out that instead of bringing in those 2 or 3 pieces that could elevate us to a SB we went backup QB, backup RB, and backup TE. WHY!?!?!?:cry::cry:

I’m not sure what the ultimate game plan is, but most GM’s are looking at a 3 year outlook and I’ve heard that discussed several times before. I’m as surprised at anyone at not addressing MY needs, but I also don’t know the mid-long term objective. I will just say that our concerns expected BUT.. how many posters in here defend the BAP at each selection? I’ve heard that argument for years, but some of those same posters are now jumping ship at the very first sign of staying the course, which I don’t think is a prudent or honorable reaction.

This team is still very good and don’t forget we get EQ, Funchess, Jace, Josiah and AJ all thrown in the mixing bowl that we didn’t have last year. We lost Graham? I’m not overly concerned there.

I will admit I’m a little concerned at not beefing up the Run D
I am not concerned about Graham either, our pass catching group definitely improved with the addition of Funchess and a healthy ESB. That being said, it was a pretty poor group to start with. How can we not take advantage of a historically strong WR class?

Sure, a lot of posters here are in favor of the BAP strategy. I am too in a way. I think you should have a mix of BAP and need drafting, and every team can determine the weights to each of these factors to their own choosing. But I don't for a second believe that the best rated players in round 2 and 3 were Dillon and that TE we drafted.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
My God, this crowd.

Yeah. Jordan Love is going to be the move that puts us over the top in 2020. I just know it.

Reaction score
Of course we don't actually believe that, it's just the salt we mined after finding out that instead of bringing in those 2 or 3 pieces that could elevate us to a SB we went backup QB, backup RB, and backup TE. WHY!?!?!?:cry::cry:

I am not concerned about Graham either, our pass catching group definitely improved with the addition of Funchess and a healthy ESB. That being said, it was a pretty poor group to start with. How can we not take advantage of a historically strong WR class?

Sure, a lot of posters here are in favor of the BAP strategy. I am too in a way. I think you should have a mix of BAP and need drafting, and every team can determine the weights to each of these factors to their own choosing. But I don't for a second believe that the best rated players in round 2 and 3 were Dillon and that TE we drafted.
I felt the same way initially. But as I put some research in, these are just as much examples of position needs as they are BAP. They clearly fit a specific role. AJ is really the perfect compliment to Jones if you study him. He’s a powerful chain mover verses Jones being more a finesse backfield option. He can take 25 carries a game day 1 if needed and what I see is routinely 1-2 yards after contact. He’s not going to get pushed around much.

I think he graded as a late 2nd day selection to GB and perfect fit in our system. They may have secured him by trading up round 3, but IMO he’s likely gone by #94 so yes, it’s a slight gamble. That said, he’s no slouch at RB. 4,600+ Yards production in just 3 years against arguably the most stacked defenses (75%) in college. Again, he’s a younger, shorter version of Henry and if we get 50% of Henry’s production we got a Winner. We just happen to get the strongest TE in the draft with sure hands? What a coincidence we got 2 underneath options to get the ball out quicker.

I’m excited to watch these guys develop into young, ascending starters. I’m tired of overpaying the descending Jimmy Graham’s of the world.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread sucks

1. Posters are not even trying to use proper English
2. Posters are purposely tring to be mediocre in their analysis
3. Posters didn't even bother trying to figure out anything about the picks
4. Most posters probably kick puppies when nobody is looking.
5. Most posters don't really care if the Packers win or not.
6. The same posters who were so envious of the Browns two years ago are now jealous of some other loser franchises

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread sucks

1. Posters are not even trying to use proper English
2. Posters are purposely tring to be mediocre in their analysis
3. Posters didn't even bother trying to figure out anything about the picks
4. Most posters probably kick puppies when nobody is looking.
5. Most posters don't really care if the Packers win or not.
6. The same posters who were so envious of the Browns two years ago are now jealous of some other loser franchises
@Amish buddy, do you spy on me? It's like you know me better than I do myself :eek:

Members online

Latest posts