This draft sucks

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are assuming we didn't try to make a move up for one of the top WRs. You do need to find another GM to make a deal, right? I'm gonna guess they couldn't find a trading partner so they decided to make a play near the backend of the first round for a QB they really liked for the future without sacrificing a lot of draft capital.

I can live with (like you said) trying to trade up and not finding the right deal. However it's not as if there was little time to get a receiver in this draft. Denzel Mims went roughly 5 picks before our 2nd round pick. A solid receiver was there with the #55 pick and many before that. The fact we ended up with 2 backups playing behind 2 of our best 5 players on this team instead getting a position need in a draft that had a GIANT surplus of receivers is infuriating.

As far AJ Dillon goes, he seems solid and if they can trade Aaron Jones (last year of contract) for a solid return I'm fine with it. However there is no reason for me to trust this management to do that at this point... Especially considering half of this draft is now over and it's doubtful we can trade him for a player to help our team this year.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. Jordan Love is going to be the move that puts us over the top in 2020. I just know it.

Do you believe that LB Queen might have been the player to put us over the top? If not there is nothing wrong with looking out for the future when the situation appears. And if something happens to Rodgers and he misses several games I'd rather have Love in there than Tim Boyle.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Gute has some small school sleepers, we are talking near coma sleepers, at OT, WR, and DE that he knew he could grab in the 6th that are as good as those 2nd rounders.

It's my best possible spin at this point.

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you believe that LB Queen might have been the player to put us over the top? If not there is nothing wrong with looking out for the future when the situation appears. And if something happens to Rodgers and he misses several games I'd rather have Love in there than Tim Boyle.
Queen would have provided fast hard hitting athleticism’s at a point of need day one....period

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Queen would have provided fast hard hitting athleticism’s at a point of need day one....period
This. I don't understand why it has to be explained that some of us are pissed because 2 positional groups which were already understaffed severely last year didn't get any help till the last rounds while multiple picks are being surrendered for a player that will not be a starter for the entirety of his contract. Especially not going after a WR yet is just unbelievable.

OP
OP
T

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My God, this crowd.

It's ok to not like the picks. Hell, I don't like them over others.

It's a whole other thing to insinuate that this team is trying to become a mid tier team on purpose.

I believe this team and it's gm/coach are drafting the players they think are going to win the Superbowl. To say that you disagree with their choices is one thing, to say they are purposely sinking the team for nefarious reasons is silly.
How are they drafting players that are going to win the Superbowl when he drafted BACKUPS? Your logic makes no sense and Jordan Love isn't going to see the field at MINIMUM 2 seasons and at Max 4 seasons because Rodgers contract locks him in. So please explain.

OP
OP
T

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is just silly to judge a draft before the freaking mini camp. The RT we got isn't chopped liver and the TE we drafted yesterday is the prototype blocking TE. IMO switching our offense to more of a running game is good thing when your team is in northeastern Wisconsin. If we have a good running game that will keep pass rushers honest and will keep our aging QB from getting hammered.
You say if, I say that's hopeful thinking please tell me how are we switching to a running offense when our offensive line is held together with duct tape? We lost bulaga we have gotten worse and have done nothing to improve or even replace the loss of our all pro tackle. So again please tell me who the hell are we running the ball on? And guess what when they inevitably stuff our run game and have to rely on the passing game which consists of davante Adams and 2-4 Joe blow, Chuck the plumber and Larry the Cable guy I don't think our prospects are looking too good and too add on top of that we have gotten worse on the defensive side of the ball so get used to teams running all over us.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You say if, I say that's hopeful thinking please tell me how are we switching to a running offense when our offensive line is held together with duct tape? We lost bulaga we have gotten worse and have done nothing to improve or even replace the loss of our all pro tackle. So again please tell me who the hell are we running the ball on? And guess what when they inevitably stuff our run game and have to rely on the passing game which consists of davante Adams and 2-4 Joe blow, Chuck the plumber and Larry the Cable guy I don't think our prospects are looking too good and too add on top of that we have gotten worse on the defensive side of the ball so get used to teams running all over us.

We all knew we couldn't keep Bulaga. Do you think Wagner is going to be terrible at RT? What OT in the first 2 rounds were available for us to take had we stayed at #30 and Dillon? In the first Wilson from Georgia might have been there but was drafted at #29 so who knows? In the second we could have taken Josh Jones but he slipped into the 3rd.

OP
OP
T

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all knew we couldn't keep Bulaga. Do you think Wagner is going to be terrible at RT? What OT in the first 2 rounds were available for us to take had we stayed at #30 and Dillon? In the first Wilson from Georgia might have been there but was drafted at #29 so who knows? In the second we could have taken Josh Jones but he slipped into the 3rd.
Round 1: WR , round 2 : ILB round 3: OL round 4 DT round 5 TE round 6 WR round 7 Edge rusher. That is how our draft should have went!

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Round 1: WR , round 2 : ILB round 3: OL round 4 DT round 5 TE round 6 WR round 7 Edge rusher. That is how our draft should have went!

So in the first round we should have stayed at 30 and drafted either Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman.

Round 2: Willie Gay

Round 3: Lucas Niang

Round 4: Broderick Washington (who was drafted 170 in the 5th)

Round 5: Charlie Woerner (who was drafted in the 190 in the 6h)

Round 6: Dezman Patman or Freddie Swain

Round 7: Derrek Tuszka who was the second to the last guy drafted.

It is easy to say lets take a TE here or a OL there but looking at how the draft actually fell if we only went by the positions you are suggesting we would have been reaching in more than one of these rounds.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On another Packers forum someone suggesting the reason Gute and company drafted like they did is because there is a good chance there is no NCAA football this year so several players who originally decided to back for one more year may now apply for a supplemental draft. Every team but 2 (us and NE) drafted WRs this past weekend so we still might be drafting a WR and other positions of need soon.

Reaction score
This thread sucks

1. Posters are not even trying to use proper English
2. Posters are purposely tring to be mediocre in their analysis
3. Posters didn't even bother trying to figure out anything about the picks
4. Most posters probably kick puppies when nobody is looking.
5. Most posters don't really care if the Packers win or not.
6. The same posters who were so envious of the Browns two years ago are now jealous of some other loser franchises
I’m not sure that was meant to be funny? But thank you that was amusing.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not sure that was meant to be funny? But thank you that was amusing.
Humor!

Its funny the same threads pop up every year when the draft doesn't go exactly the way some poster demands. Anything less than their ideas and the GM and Coach don't want to win. Can you fathom in any way shape or form a FO that doesn't want to win? Those jobs are very highly coveted and takes many years of focused dedication. How much do we love it? So how much does a GM love it and want to suceed. I don't mind if you disagree, hell, I only agreed on 2 picks. But I don't think for a second that the FO doesnt think this was the best options for the Packefs to win.

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People’s motivations to participate in any form of social media is as varied as the ones who speak negatively about and condemn them....
The thing that always makes me chuckle is that some think that their views and opinions really matter in the grand scheme of things and that they project a false subject matter facade with limited knowledge that is so superficial and pompous...whatever makes you happy I guess but don’t get too wound up and don’t take yourself too seriously..and never kick puppies!!!

Last edited:

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Humor!

Its funny the same threads pop up every year when the draft doesn't go exactly the way some poster demands. Anything less than their ideas and the GM and Coach don't want to win. Can you fathom in any way shape or form a FO that doesn't want to win? Those jobs are very highly coveted and takes many years of focused dedication. How much do we love it? So how much does a GM love it and want to suceed. I don't mind if you disagree, hell, I only agreed on 2 picks. But I don't think for a second that the FO doesnt think this was the best options for the Packefs to win.
A draft never goes exactly the way us posters demand it, and deviations are fine. Completely ignoring our top 3 needs within the 4 rounds is a completely different matter however, and plenty of reason for fans to be upset. I am sure the FO thought this was in the best interest of the team, but as of right now I am just not seeing it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dear Mods - I would like to start a petition to remove the "creative" or "useful" reaction option with a facepalm icon and label it either "facepalm" or "ignorance is bliss"

I feel this would greatly add to the forums here...LOL

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A draft never goes exactly the way us posters demand it, and deviations are fine. Completely ignoring our top 3 needs within the 4 rounds is a completely different matter however, and plenty of reason for fans to be upset. I am sure the FO thought this was in the best interest of the team, but as of right now I am just not seeing it.
I agree with this. I thought our biggest need was WR and with the deepest draft ever of WR talent, it just stood to reason. I blew my contest because half my picks were WRs. I had expectations.

I thought future QB and RB were needs, just not that high.

We likely see the depth of the team differently than the FO. They may have more confidence in Funchese and expect most of MVS, STB, Sternberger, Tongan and Lazard to take a step. Maybe they think AR will gel with the WRs more. Maybe they think AR will do better with a year in the new system. We shall see.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was fairly young at the time, but I distinctly remember the 2005 draft as getting massive negative reactions.

Obviously drafting Rodgers was viewed as a fail.

THEN, they drafted some small school safety that some scouting services didn't even have a grade on! People were pretty ticked.

Hindsight being what it is, two great players came from that class. I'm not enthused about this class, but I can understand it. Try to keep your emotions in check while we wait and see what happens.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was fairly young at the time, but I distinctly remember the 2005 draft as getting massive negative reactions.

THEN, they drafted some small school safety that some scouting services didn't even have a grade on! People were pretty ticked.

Hindsight being what it is, two great players came from that class. I'm not enthused about this class, but I can understand it. Try to keep your emotions in check while we wait and see what happens.

Bethune-Cookman for the freaking win man!!! The player you're eluding to will still forever be one of my favorites...and I may be committing a sin but I still say he had the potential to be THE best safety every to have cleats hit soil with a G on their helmet.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bethune-Cookman for the freaking win man!!! The player you're eluding to will still forever be one of my favorites...and I may be committing a sin but I still say he had the potential to be THE best safety every to have cleats hit soil with a G on their helmet.
He was on his way for sure. Abbreviated career, so he is behind Willie Wood and Butler.

Packers would only be the 2nd team to ever take back to back HOFers. (Bears with Sayers and Ditka) . I heard that once but it doesn't sound possible considering the Steelers run in the 70s.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He was phenomenal. Realistically during his prime I can't think of a weakness he had. Shows us how much we really know.

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I was working with the new Houston Texans franchise at that time and it was pretty much unanimous that the Packers got the “steal of the century” when the perfect storm dropped what most thought was the number 1 prospect fell into their laps. Farve was continuing his retire / unretire annual hostage taking which pushed the decision but really it was an opportunity and timing that couldn’t be passed up on a “ can’t miss”
Totally different than the Love situation

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts