"Things said way too often in this forum"

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I still say it's a largely fictional narrative and that our WRs are no more covered than anyone else's. People just saw too much of Capers's soft coverage schemes that allowed opponents to do a lot of that over the years and thought that was normal.
Oh I agree. In 2015 when this meme started, the talking heads kept bringing it up yet there were quite a few options in the flat or soft spot of the zone that AR12 ignored for the bigger play down field to the guy that wasn't open. Someday I'll need to find some of the threads from that time.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I agree. In 2015 when this meme started, the talking heads kept bringing it up yet there were quite a few options in the flat or soft spot of the zone that AR12 ignored for the bigger play down field to the guy that wasn't open. Someday I'll need to find some of the threads from that time.
Speaking of things said way too often on this forum...

Rodgers sees things that we do not from our Tecmo Bowl camera angle. We can see things which are currently happening, but his job is to anticipate things, and he's only about a million times better at it than any of us could ever dream of being.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still say it's a largely fictional narrative and that our WRs are no more covered than anyone else's. People just saw too much of Capers's soft coverage schemes that allowed opponents to do a lot of that over the years and thought that was normal.
Did you not just see the SB? Open receivers littered the field on both teams. Guys so wide open that a backup QB could hit them and win SB MVP. Rodgers has no such thing.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you not just see the SB? Open receivers littered the field on both teams. Guys so wide open that a backup QB could hit them and win SB MVP. Rodgers has no such thing.

And you just got done saying we shouldn't be using our Tecmo Bowl camera angle.

Pretty sure my friend that you have selective seeing and don't know the difference between receivers busting open and getting thrown open.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And you just got done saying we shouldn't be using our Tecmo Bowl camera angle.

Pretty sure my friend that you have selective seeing and don't know the difference between receivers busting open and getting thrown open.
So Nick Foles suddenly became excellent at throwing guys open? Please. How great was Brady at throwing guys open in 2013 with Gronk out half of the year, Welker gone, and Hernandez in jail? Not great, considering it was the worst season he put together in 10 years.

Anticipation is always part of the passing game. Receivers do not blow past CBs in the NFL. However, you cannot throw a receiver open who has no separation. You need guys with separation quickness, as well as a play designer who can put them in favourable scenarios. GB has clearly lacked both.

D

Deleted member 6794

Anticipation is always part of the passing game. Receivers do not blow past CBs in the NFL. However, you cannot throw a receiver open who has no separation. You need guys with separation quickness, as well as a play designer who can put them in favourable scenarios. GB has clearly lacked both.

When listening to Sunshine and you sometimes I wonder how the Packers ever managed to finish within the top 10 scoring offenses in the league, let alone nine times in the last 11 seasons, ranking seven times in the top five over that period.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When listening to Sunshine and you sometimes I wonder how the Packers ever managed to finish within the top 10 scoring offenses in the league, let alone nine times in the last 11 seasons, ranking seven times in the top five over that period.
I don't think that people realize that most offenses are terrible. This year, Jacksonville and Baltimore were 1 top 10 scoring offenses with mediocre QBs and skill players. Buffalo was a top 10 scoring offense the previous year with a QB who can barely surpass 3k yards in an entire season.

Yes, compared to the league as a whole, our offense is good. But despite ranking so high in PPG, we have only ranked in the top 5 in YPG twice with Rodgers as a starter, and never higher than #3. With a QB of his caliber, that is shocking. NO and NO have matched or surpassed that in the past 2 years alone, and they don't have all of the unscripted yards that Rodgers is able to gain. The offense has thrived far more on the efficiency of Rodgers and his ability to put points on the board in the red zone as opposed to being some high flying, ultra productive unit. And I think that we all know that.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think that people realize that most offenses are terrible. This year, Jacksonville and Baltimore were 1 top 10 scoring offenses with mediocre QBs and skill players. Buffalo was a top 10 scoring offense the previous year with a QB who can barely surpass 3k yards in an entire season.

Yes, compared to the league as a whole, our offense is good. But despite ranking so high in PPG, we have only ranked in the top 5 in YPG twice with Rodgers as a starter, and never higher than #3. With a QB of his caliber, that is shocking.

Yards per game is a terrible indicator for offensive performance. I don't care the Packers not finishing in the top 10 in that category as long as they put enough points on the board.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yards per game is a terrible indicator for offensive performance. I don't care the Packers not finishing in the top 10 in that category as long as they put enough points on the board.
8 of the top 10 scoring offenses last year were also top 10 in PPG. It is absolutely not a terrible indicator. There is a very strong correlation each year.

I don't get this "good enough" attitude. We have Aaron Rodgers. There are not 5 QBs in the league better than him, not even close, yet at least 5 offenses are more productive almost every single year. Does anyone seriously not have a problem with that? It's pretty clear from the measurables of the WRs that Gute acquired, as well as the addition of Graham, that he agrees the receivers haven't been easy targets for our QB.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
8 of the top 10 scoring offenses last year were also top 10 in PPG. It is absolutely not a terrible indicator. There is a very strong correlation each year.

I don't get this "good enough" attitude. We have Aaron Rodgers. There are not 5 QBs in the league better than him, not even close, yet at least 5 offenses are more productive almost every single year. Does anyone seriously not have a problem with that? It's pretty clear from the measurables of the WRs that Gute acquired, as well as the addition of Graham, that he agrees the receivers haven't been easy targets for our QB.

That would be called replacing Jordy, a move that had to be done.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't get this "good enough" attitude. We have Aaron Rodgers. There are not 5 QBs in the league better than him, not even close, yet at least 5 offenses are more productive almost every single year. Does anyone seriously not have a problem with that?

The Packers have finished within the top five scoring offenses in six out of the 10 season Rodgers has been the starting quarterback, twice leading the league in points scored. The team finished worse in 2010 and '15 as well as during both seasons #12 broke his collarbone.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[
The Packers have finished within the top five scoring offenses in six out of the 10 season Rodgers has been the starting quarterback, twice leading the league in points scored. The team finished worse in 2010 and '15 as well as during both seasons #12 broke his collarbone.
I'm not talking points. I'm talking yards. Rodgers is the best red zone QB in the history of the league, he will always put points on the board. But many other teams gain more yards on the field who really have no business beating out an offense with Rodgers in this regard.

You can say that it doesn't matter, and in the end the number of points on the board is what matters. But you don't find that in any way surprising? It's not like the team isn't trying to rack up yards- Rodgers uses every bit of his ability to squeeze yards out of the team. But despite this, the offense has only ranked within the top 5 in total yards twice. I'm sure just about every team in the league has done that at least once within the same time span.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I hear this one way too often:

"We let 2 Pro Bowlers go in Hayward and Hyde". They weren't Pro Bowlers when we let them walk. Is everyone so sure they would have eventually been Pro Bowlers had they stay in Green Bay and played under Capers? They obviously had the talent, but would it have fully gotten tapped as a Packer?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

"We let 2 Pro Bowlers go in Hayward and Hyde". They weren't Pro Bowlers when we let them walk. Is everyone so sure they would have eventually been Pro Bowlers had they stay in Green Bay and played under Capers? They obviously had the talent, but would it have fully gotten tapped as a Packer?
You just made everyone's point. The team was so poorly coached that the potential of two All-Pro players was squandered in our greatest area of need.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I hope Cleveland let a pro bowler go in Kizer too. Unfortunately it will take Rodgers getting hurt (or traded) to see if they did.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You just made everyone's point. The team was so poorly coached that the potential of two All-Pro players was squandered in our greatest area of need.
You may be correct, but my problem is that people use it for both negative arguments. "Teddy didn't know Pro Bowl Talent and let it go"...or and this one doesn't give TT credit for drafting the talent, "Capers couldn't coach these 2 guys to the level they could achieve." I'm not saying either or both aren't correct, I am just saying its said way too often. The future of a player is never a predetermined path, had TT resigned either Hayward and/or Hyde, maybe they become Pro Bowlers in Green Bay, maybe they don't. Randall will be another case study to closely watch.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't all 10 of the top 10 scoring offenses also be in the top 10 in PPG seeing that is just restating the same statistic?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was wondering that, too, but it looked so obvious that I figured I must be missing something.

Latest posts