"Things said way too often in this forum"

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was an interesting question whether Gutekunst would stick with the formula passed down from Wolf to Thompson. Height is certainly a consideration, but what has been overlooked in the discussion is that the Packers had no issue putting Shields out there at 5' 10 3/4", a scant 3/8" over that rounded off threshold and a 1/2" taller than Alexander. Shields had a 39" vertical as compensation; Alexander a less impressive 35" but not a deal breaker.

I briefly considered Alexander, but ruled him out for the risk factors more than the height issue. Two separate injuries limited him to about 300 snaps. He's slight of build and plays aggressively against the run, something he's going to need to dial back against bigger-stronger-faster. Some have him pegged as a slot corner to minimize injury exposure. I question that logic and question that's what he was drafted to do. Some have noted his potential as punt returner, a dangerous occupation, which might prove ill advised.

The talk of him being a punt returner also did not sit well with me due to injury and size. Now that Jackson has been drafted, do you think that Alexander in the slot makes more sense, or is it a case of let's pick a couple and see who turns out to be the better cb?

H

HardRightEdge

...or is it a case of let's pick a couple and see who turns out to be the better cb?
That.

There are 4 guys, we assume, competing for 3 nickel "starter" spots. There will be months figuring out the best configurations. The brass probably has a preliminary idea where they slot these guys but at the same time I'm sure they view it as an exploratory process.

King's probably only suitable for the perimeter. I could see the other 3 playing slot or outside. Lets see what happens in preaseason. Somebody's going to end up relegated to dime corner. However, the value of being 4 deep can't be underestimated since you cannot expect starters to go 48 for 48 in starts. Guys will miss games; depth at the position is critical. A weak link at corner gets preyed upon. House sits at #5, but isn't he part of the problem that this draft is intending to solve?

I recall making the same observation regarding depth at WR depth aroud this time in 2015. Among 3 WRs, 6 missed starts was my reasonable conjecture. Then Nelson blew his ACL and the scramble was on resulting in James Jones. Speaking of which, they better get a WR soon in this draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
In the fall and winter I just throw lead at mine.

Wish I could do that. Even discharging a pellet gun is not allowed within city limits - never seemed to bother my neighbor before he died and he was on the City Council ... boy do I miss that man and his pellet gun.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Wish I could do that. Even discharging a pellet gun is not allowed within city limits - never seemed to bother my neighbor before he died and he was on the City Council ... boy do I miss that man and his pellet gun.
My grandpa used to shoot tree rats in town with his pellet gun by opening his shop window and hanging his bird feeder within range. He had hickory trees which drew them.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
"Looks like this thread went way off topic." :rolleyes:

Wait....am I saying that because it has or because it fits the thread? :whistling:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if we do want to bring it back on topic ....

There's one thing that's been said too often on this forum, and that's the fake news story of WRs not getting open.

I'm going to predict that comes to an end this season with the drafting of Moore and the other two who are already upgrades over Trevor Davis.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
My grandpa used to shoot tree rats in town with his pellet gun by opening his shop window and hanging his bird feeder within range. He had hickory trees which drew them.

My problem would be getting rid of the damned wascally wabbit corpses.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He (insert WRs name here) needs to earn Aaron Rodger's trust.

It may not be said so much here but it is written a hundred times about every young WR and it is starting to make me sick.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a "game-day guy". That just means he practices like $***t but fans just assume he'll be good. Meanwhile, he's built no trust with the coaches or other players to trust he'll do his job on gameday. "Gamers" might work in college where physical talent can get you through but there's too much precision and reliance on everyone doing something for that to work in the NFL.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There's one thing that's been said too often on this forum, and that's the fake news story of WRs not getting open.

I'm going to predict that comes to an end this season with the drafting of Moore and the other two who are already upgrades over Trevor Davis.

This confuses me. Are you referring to fake news like The Onion having an article on Packer's receivers? Cause if so, give me the link, cause I wanna read it!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That.

There are 4 guys, we assume, competing for 3 nickel "starter" spots. There will be months figuring out the best configurations. The brass probably has a preliminary idea where they slot these guys but at the same time I'm sure they view it as an exploratory process.

King's probably only suitable for the perimeter. I could see the other 3 playing slot or outside. Lets see what happens in preaseason. Somebody's going to end up relegated to dime corner. However, the value of being 4 deep can't be underestimated since you cannot expect starters to go 48 for 48 in starts. Guys will miss games; depth at the position is critical. A weak link at corner gets preyed upon. House sits at #5, but isn't he part of the problem that this draft is intending to solve?

I recall making the same observation regarding depth at WR depth aroud this time in 2015. Among 3 WRs, 6 missed starts was my reasonable conjecture. Then Nelson blew his ACL and the scramble was on resulting in James Jones. Speaking of which, they better get a WR soon in this draft.

I'm not sure Jackson is really a classic slot guy. If anything I would imagine that Alexander could turn into Chris Harris Jr./(this hurts)Casey Hayward; i.e., an elite slot corner that can also be very good on the perimeter. Jackson is a big guy with amazing ball skills but I'm not sure he's quick enough to play in the slot against the smaller, shiftier receivers. However, he could be very good in the slot against TEs, where you might normally see a safety lining up.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He (insert WRs name here) needs to earn Aaron Rodger's trust.

It may not be said so much here but it is written a hundred times about every young WR and it is starting to make me sick.
We hear that a ton for sure. My burning question is, Is it true?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How exactly is that not accurate?

H

HardRightEdge

We hear that a ton for sure. My burning question is, Is it true?
"Trust" doesn't quite capture the issue. "Being on the same page" is more like it. If that's a distinction without a difference, so be it.

The point is that except for the occasional quick out or in timing throw, few routes don't have an option, either scripted or unscripted. At base, the depth of the DB, inside or outside pressure, safety positioning all dictate how the route is run. That the QB and the WR read the defense the same way is essential.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
"Trust" doesn't quite capture the issue. "Being on the same page" is more like it. If that's a distinction without a difference, so be it.

The point is that except for the occasional quick out or in timing throw, few routes don't have an option, either scripted or unscripted. At base, the depth of the DB, inside or outside pressure, safety positioning all dictate how the route is run. That the QB and the WR read the defense the same way is essential.

Agreed. It also might be what separates #12 from many other QB's, working with WR's to the point of knowing where they will be on the field at any given moment, as well as the WR knowing what to do when a route fails. It was obvious Hundley did not have that kind of "chemistry/trust/relationship", label it what you want.

Rodgers is a very cerebral QB, as well as a guy that plays on instincts. If he and his receivers aren't thinking alike, you literally see the frustration build on Rodgers face and it ends up affecting his game.

H

HardRightEdge

Agreed. It also might be what separates #12 from many other QB's, working with WR's to the point of knowing where they will be on the field at any given moment, as well as the WR knowing what to do when a route fails. It was obvious Hundley did not have that kind of "chemistry/trust/relationship", label it what you want.

Rodgers is a very cerebral QB, as well as a guy that plays on instincts. If he and his receivers aren't thinking alike, you literally see the frustration build on Rodgers face and it ends up affecting his game.
This is a football question, not a Rodgers or Hundley question. It applies everywhere and with everybody.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is a football question, not a Rodgers or Hundley question. It applies everywhere and with everybody.
Yes. However, how well a QB and a WR are able to do it, is how it relates to conversations about Rodgers, Hundley or any name you insert. I don't really follow other QB's and how their relationships develop with their receivers, but it's pretty obvious that it has always been something that is very important with AR. I can't even remember how Favre was with new receivers.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. However, how well a QB and a WR are able to do it, is how it relates to conversations about Rodgers, Hundley or any name you insert. I don't really follow other QB's and how their relationships develop with their receivers, but it's pretty obvious that it has always been something that is very important with AR. I can't even remember how Favre was with new receivers.

Part of it might stem from the way the Packers offense is structured as well. Historically, MM offenses haven't really relied on scheme to get a guy open; i.e., a play designed to get a guy the ball in a specific fashion. On those kinds of plays trust isn't really as big a deal because Rodgers knows ahead of time where the play is designed to go and the receiver doesn't have much leeway in ******** up. The Packers though don't do a lot of that (if any). So if Rodgers can't trust the receiver there is not a specific place the ball will be going on a play and the receiver has a lot of ways to screw up the play and leave Rodgers throwing the ball to a place the receiver SHOULD be but isn't. Now, having said that I'm not trying to put all the blame on the offense. As we've seen Rodgers is a bit of a perfectionist at time and HATES turnovers. When a receiver isn't where Rodgers expects him to be, that's a great recipe for a turnover. So I think the confluence of a perfectionist QB (which is a good thing) and few play designs that scheme a guy open in a certain fashion, breed a system where Rodgers reliance on trust becomes magnified.

Personally, I think when the media or fans begin to talk about Rodgers needing to "trust" his receivers, what's actually happening is that the receiver doesn't know his routes or doesn't practice well enough for Rodgers to have established the rhythm required. Rather than discussing Rodgers "learning to trust" someone, the conversation should probably be more focused on the receivers doing better in practice and knowing the offense.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WR not getting open mantra predates Hundley

I still say it's a largely fictional narrative and that our WRs are no more covered than anyone else's. People just saw too much of Capers's soft coverage schemes that allowed opponents to do a lot of that over the years and thought that was normal.

Members online

Latest posts