"Things said way too often in this forum"

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear this one way too often:

"We let 2 Pro Bowlers go in Hayward and Hyde". They weren't Pro Bowlers when we let them walk. Is everyone so sure they would have eventually been Pro Bowlers had they stay in Green Bay and played under Capers? They obviously had the talent, but would it have fully gotten tapped as a Packer?

There's been a history around here of players looking good rookie seasons like those 2 and Randall and Rollins and fill in the blank. Some of that failure definitely has to be on the coaches when it happens to as many players as it has around here. I mean, obviously you can't teach instincts or hitting/tackling ability in a player, but positioning and coverage technique you can.

I fault a lot of that on Joe Whitt, he's done mostly a horrendous job with communication and fundamentals. That's not letting Capers off the hook either; he had his own problems making adjustments over the years. But I really think if he fails to mesh his system into Pettine's, the final nail will be driven in his coffin this season.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
There's been a history around here of players looking good rookie seasons like those 2 and Randall and Rollins and fill in the blank. Some of that failure definitely has to be on the coaches when it happens to as many players as it has around here. I mean, obviously you can't teach instincts or hitting/tackling ability in a player, but positioning and coverage technique you can.

I fault a lot of that on Joe Whitt, he's done mostly a horrendous job with communication and fundamentals. That's not letting Capers off the hook either; he had his own problems making adjustments over the years. But I really think if he fails to mesh his system into Pettine's, the final nail will be driven in his coffin this season.

You make a good point and it seems the only 2 guys that are frequently talked about as being highly successful when they left GB are Hayward and Hyde, 2 secondary guys coached by Joe Whitt. One could even say House played better when he left Green Bay. So I agree with you and I have been saying it for awhile, I don't really understand how Whitt is still in Green Bay and even more, how was he being considered for the DC job?

We have seen quite a few offensive players as well as some non-secondary defensive guys leave Green Bay and not do all that well elsewhere, random or is there a pattern? It will be interesting to see how Randall and Burnett do this year on new teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not talking points. I'm talking yards. Rodgers is the best red zone QB in the history of the league, he will always put points on the board. But many other teams gain more yards on the field who really have no business beating out an offense with Rodgers in this regard.

You can say that it doesn't matter, and in the end the number of points on the board is what matters. But you don't find that in any way surprising? It's not like the team isn't trying to rack up yards- Rodgers uses every bit of his ability to squeeze yards out of the team. But despite this, the offense has only ranked within the top 5 in total yards twice. I'm sure just about every team in the league has done that at least once within the same time span.

FWIW according to Pro Football Refernce the Packers offense only finished in the top five in total yards once during Rodgers tenure as starter and that was in 2013 with him being out for half the season. In addition 11 teams haven't achieved that feat since 2008.

Once again, total yards is overvalued by a lot of experts and fans. There are several factors affecting those numbers and ultimately it doesn't matter at all.

"We let 2 Pro Bowlers go in Hayward and Hyde". They weren't Pro Bowlers when we let them walk. Is everyone so sure they would have eventually been Pro Bowlers had they stay in Green Bay and played under Capers? They obviously had the talent, but would it have fully gotten tapped as a Packer?

I think it's pretty obvious both Hayward and Hyde didn't perform up to their potential with the Packers for whatever reason. That might indicate coaching was an issue with them.

I hope Cleveland let a pro bowler go in Kizer too. Unfortunately it will take Rodgers getting hurt (or traded) to see if they did.

I prefer not to find out if Kizer is capable of performing at a Pro Bowl level.

Members online

Latest posts