The Weakest Link: Outside Linebacker

H

HardRightEdge

Unfortunately I don't have access to the number of snaps Matthews played inside in 2015 but definitely believe he lined up there for the majority of them.
I'd second that. I recall he played inside exclusively the first half of the season and them moved around some in the back half.

I also recall him playing two consecutive games at ILB without making a single tackle. That's pretty astounding, and not in a good way of course.

D

Deleted member 6794

Very True but I am trying to be as optimistic as possible. I feel that the Offense will be unstoppable and the Defense will be top 10!!

I definitely expect the Packers offense to be elite this season but unfortunately don't share your optimism about the defense.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely expect the Packers offense to be elite this season but unfortunately don't share your optimism about the defense.

I could see the defense being top 15. The dline should be a strength. Clark looks like he could be on his way to taking Daniel's title as top linemen. Lowry looks strong, Adams apparently was flashing before injury and rjf is nice depth. The safeties are the strength of the entire unit and should improve as the season goes on with Jones, Brice, and Evans being young. The corners should be improving as the season goes on with the return to health of Randall and Rollins and the addition of king and house. As for the linebackers, inside should be better than last year as Ryan and Martinez have gotten better and will be asked to play less at matchup disadvantages as Burnett and Jones will solve that problem and I believe hold up against the run just fine. Olb is the weakest link mainly because of injury all of the top 3 are out right now. Perry ankle Matthew's groin and Elliot back. I think TT most likely adds Ahmad Brooks after Thursdays game unless both Calvin and Gilbert play in such a way that he's confident in them to start the season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am worried about our OLB's. I think Fackrell has shown a bit lately, but he's a rotational guy at this point. Elliot hasn't done much outside of some preseason games a couple seasons ago. Decent special teams guy, and haven't seen much so far this camp. he's been pretty quiet and now out with back spasms. he'll make the team, because there isn't really anyone else. I was intrigued by Gilbert, hoping to see more of a jump from him, but he's got a lot of work to do yet before he's on our roster contributing. I don't think he makes it unless someone else goes down. I have the usual concerns about Perry and Matthews. Could be very good, could be very bad, could be anything in between. How's that for an analysis on those 2? and Vince, well it won't surprise me at all if he's on the PUP and we don't see him for a while or at all this season.

All that said, even though we had sacks and stats last year, I don't think we were that good in that department. It was always a guy just coming free, but it was hardly unrelenting pressure from all sides. If someone didn't come free, the qb's sat back there clean all game it seemed. I'd take fewer sacks, and more plays where they guys are at least collapsing the pocket and making the QB feel the squeeze. The hits and sacks will come, even if it's not as many, constant pressure is going to be more disruptive than what we had last year. I think we have Dlineman for once that can play the run and penetrate up field without leaving huge rushing lanes. I think we have 3 legitimate guys that can squeeze that pocket and let the OLB's work from the outside or back inside. They aren't just going to occupy blockers, they're going to be moving them back and in on their way to the QB.

Our stats might be down this year in terms of sacks, but I think we have the potential to be better in that area than we were last year just because of the type of pressure they'll be able to apply. and once you get that constant type pressure from inside, now suddenly when you send a DB or safety or another ILB they are free because the oline is busy stopping that inside push. of course this all depends on a lot of things. I guess we'll find out.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Totally agree with you on the situation at OLB and the frustrating thing, most of us saw this distinct possibility during Free Agency and all TT did was draft Biegel in response. Unless TT signs Brooks and/or someone else, we may end up with an OLB corp of:
  1. Perry
  2. Matthews
  3. Elliott
  4. Fackrell
  5. Gilbert
Given the Status and uncertainty of Matthews and Perry, that really shows a lack of being ready for 2017 IMO.

Reaction score
Totally agree with you on the situation at OLB and the frustrating thing, most of us saw this distinct possibility during Free Agency and all TT did was draft Biegel in response. Unless TT signs Brooks and/or someone else, we may end up with an OLB corp of:
  1. Perry
  2. Matthews
  3. Elliott
  4. Fackrell
  5. Gilbert
Given the Status and uncertainty of Matthews and Perry, that really shows a lack of being ready for 2017 IMO.
saw an as yet totally unsubstantiated rumor that Brooks was shopping for a condo in GB.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What we need to do is go after Courtney Upshaw from ATL and Fledtcher Cox from Philly, I hear both may be cut.

Then are starters are Matthews-Perry backed up by Courtney-Cox.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  1. Perry
  2. Matthews
  3. Elliott
  4. Fackrell
  5. Gilbert
outside of Barwin though, there wasn't much available. and even him i'm just going off name recognition. Perry was the best of that group that was available. The rest were guys like we have guys right now.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
outside of Barwin though, there wasn't much available. and even him i'm just going off name recognition. Perry was the best of that group that was available. The rest were guys like we have guys right now.

Barwin would have been a good signing IMO. Dumervil was also passed up by the Packers. You are right thought, it wasn't a bountiful crop of FA OLB's to choose from. However, there would have also been the possibility of a trade or drafting someone higher than Biegel, say JJ Watt.

Just like CB last year, we really will never know what TT tried to do or thought he needed to do, but using one pick in the 4th round on Biegel, makes me think he didn't see that much of a need at OLB.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is by far our weakest position. Our best hope for a competent backup is to find a gem in the final roster cutdowns, or sign Ahmad Brooks if the terms are right and the coaches think he's still got something in the tank.

D

Deleted member 6794

I could see the defense being top 15. The dline should be a strength. Clark looks like he could be on his way to taking Daniel's title as top linemen. Lowry looks strong, Adams apparently was flashing before injury and rjf is nice depth. The safeties are the strength of the entire unit and should improve as the season goes on with Jones, Brice, and Evans being young. The corners should be improving as the season goes on with the return to health of Randall and Rollins and the addition of king and house. As for the linebackers, inside should be better than last year as Ryan and Martinez have gotten better and will be asked to play less at matchup disadvantages as Burnett and Jones will solve that problem and I believe hold up against the run just fine. Olb is the weakest link mainly because of injury all of the top 3 are out right now. Perry ankle Matthew's groin and Elliot back. I think TT most likely adds Ahmad Brooks after Thursdays game unless both Calvin and Gilbert play in such a way that he's confident in them to start the season.

I believe it's premature to expect Clark to leapfrog Daniels as the top defensive lineman on the roster. You seem to put a lot of hope into either young players developing into decent contributors while ignoring not everyone of them will be able to make that jump or veterans rebounding from struggling last season. It's possible the defense finishes this season with the top 15 in points allowed but I'm not convinced there's enough talent and especially depth to successfully contain elite offenses.

There's definitely reason to believe there were free agents available more talented than Elliott and Fackrell.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Imo, If Clark is a better player than Daniels this year, we are going to go something like 14-2 to 16-0.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What we need to do is go after Courtney Upshaw from ATL and Fledtcher Cox from Philly, I hear both may be cut.

Then are starters are Matthews-Perry backed up by Courtney-Cox.
I also hear NE dismissed everyone but Brady, since he wins SBs all by himself. Probably worth a look.

Members online

Latest posts