1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Turk looms: Roster cutdown to 75 August 30

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Poppa San, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Poppa San

Poppa San Beast mode Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,441
    The first round of roster trimming is this week. This morning I counted 88 names on the roster here: http://www.packers.com/team/players.html By 4pmEDT Tuesday the Packers must submit 13 roster moves to the league. The first is easy. Linsley stays on PUP and I don't think he counts anymore against the roster until activated. The next 12 get tricky near the end. I don't know the extent of the injuries from the last game and if some of those held out will be healthy enough to give it a go. I don't expect anyone going to IR yet but if someone was more seriously injured Friday night, that will save a roster spot. My WAG:
    Say good bye to C-Jacob Flores if he will not be healthy enough to play Thurs night. If he is, C-Kyle Stueck is gone. One of the two stays to play Thurs and Flores hasn't seen game action yet. CBs Gatewood and Jette, sayonara, as well as WRs Herb Waters, Jamel Johnson, Ed Williams. If OG-Walker is good to go, OG Patrick is gone. LBs Benny Brown, Gilbert and D, Matthews join them. TE Casey Pierce leaves with RB Ross. Ross goes only if Crockett can play. NT Anderson and S Evans are next off the team if some of the injured replacement guys need to hang around for the last game or I was misinformed about Linsley.

2. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9,367
    I would be extremely surprised if Marwin Evans is one of the players released before the Tuesday deadline. He might even end up making the roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Poppa San

Poppa San Beast mode Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,441
    Yeah, I read in this morning's paper a few minutes ago that perhaps I've misjudged him. Even still, someone good is going to go. Perhaps Robertson Daniel or Dorleant are the ones. I expect the DL roster decisions to be the last ones made, most likely in the final cuts to 53.
    Making the punting decision now would not be a bad call either. I still think they'll wrongly keep Masthay over Mortell since there is no huge benefit to replacing the incumbent and TT/MM like their familiarity with players. Then see next week if a step up is dropped from another camp.

4. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9,367
    Ryan Wood reports WR Ed Williams is the first player to be released before Tuesday's deadline.

5. Packerlifer

Packerlifer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +520
  6. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9,367
    In addition to Williams and Mortell the Packers have released DT Demetris Anderson, CB Randall Jette, WR Jamel Johnson and LB Derrick Mathews.

7. G0P4ckG0

G0P4ckG0 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +78
    That sucks about Mortell. I was hoping he would make the team but I think the Packers decided that Masthay's holding abilities were too great to warrant him being cut. Hopefully Mortell at least makes the practice squad.

8. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9,367
    Masthay won the competition because he had better hang time on his punts than Mortell. Holding for field goals wasn't a deciding factor.

I can all but guarantee the Packers won't use a practice squad spot on a punter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,483
    Besides the pick, I noticed a couple of other plays where he showed good anticipation and reaction to ball. Looks like a decent tackler.

Before and after the draft, I noted the Packers needed to add a safety, given Banjo is a ST player who might be able to play a little box safety or zone in a pinch. That's about it.

McCarthy lauded Brice who also seems to be the press favorite as well. Still, I would not yet rule out Evans. Personally, I favor Evans. Both of these guys have certain traits you cannot teach...speed in the 4.4's, they can jump out of the building, ball skills. They both look like decent tacklers. Both have that SS/FS hybrid characteristics the Packers favor.

10. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,483
    In the final analysis, the difference is marginal. The choice is risk averse in going with the known commodity, cap savings evidently not a factor in selecting the player with a small edge. In 2016, the time is now.

11. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9,367
    The Packers have waived TE Kennard Backman with an injury designation. If he isn't claimed the team can either put him on injured reserve or reach an injury settlement with the tight end.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  12. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,483
  13. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,483
    Note to mods: please delete this thread.

14. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,965
    I just merged with other