The Road To The Playoffs

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the bye week coming up, our season is officially halfway done. After 8 games we are now 5-3. Not a bad record with a group of talented teams in the NFC, but obviously, we have corrections to make during this perfectly timed bye week. With that being said, let's take a look at scenarios in which we can become playoff bound and/or possibly be NFC North Champions for the 4th straight time.

1. Home Sweet Home- After the first half of our schedule saw us traveling to Seattle on opening night, traveling to Detroit and going to New Orleans, the second half of our schedule seems to be a bit more in our favor. 5 of our next 8 games will be at home, including New England and what could be a huge showdown with Detroit in Week 17.

2. Winning The NFC North- Obviously, we will be entering the second half of our season competing with a really good looking Lions team this year. Luckily, Chicago and Minnesota are not currently threatening. We are 1.5 games back which means, yes, we will have to have some help. Luckily, November appears to have some teams that could do just that when they play the Lions. For November the Lions are:

Home against the Dolphins
AT Arizona
AT New England
Home against the Bears

Dolphins have been playing well, Arizona has 1 loss and leads their division, New England is New England, and conference games can usually go either way. None of these games are guaranteed wins for them at all, plus they have an additional 3 games after these before we get them at home in Week 17. The Lions are far from wrapping this division up.

3. Winning a Wildcard- Currently, Dallas, Detroit, Carolina and Arizona lead their divisions. The 4 current wildcard contenders are Philly (2 losses), Green Bay (3 losses), San Fran (3 losses) and Seattle (3 losses). Of these four, two would be the wildcard contenders (as of now). We still control our own destiny here. We get Philly at home the week after the Bears. If we win, we take the advantage over them.

Next, 49ers and Seattle need to lose some games. Well, that's going to happen. These two teams still have to play each other......twice. So one of these teams will be knocked way down the playoff hunt with 2 additional losses or they will BOTH have another loss this season.

As far as playoff competition, we will worry about that at the end of December. Because much of that is who gets hot at the end.

I've mentioned this earlier, but I'll repeat it again. We are sitting in a position where 1 week changes everything. We aren't coming into the second half of our season desperate and needing teams to lose 3 or 4 games. There are 3 ways in (the north and 2 wildcard spots). And since we are in a position to where 1 week changes so much, imagine what could change over the next 9 weeks.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I have always hated the fact that a team has to rely on another team to help them go further in the playoffs, handle your own business or get handled, I hope the Packers never reach that low point, if we can't advance on our own we don't belong there (play offs?) any way....

M

melvin2345

It is certainly shaping up to be a close race between the Packers and Lions, but whereas you have faith in your Packers, I'm cautiously optimistic for the Lions.

I'm hoping that when we come back from the bye, we have some players back at full, or near full health. Calvin Johnson, Reggie Bush, Joesph Fauria, Brandon Pettigrew, Eric Ebron and LaAdrian Waddle to name a few. With those players back, the offense hopefully gets better.

The defense is pretty solid, but if Fairley is out for an extended period of time, the defensive line loses some of its strength. Hopefully getting Kyle Van Noy back after the bye improves an already good linebacking corps.

As long as they don't repeat last year's tailspin, should continue to be close by the time December 17 rolls around.

OP
OP
D

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have always hated the fact that a team has to rely on another team to help them go further in the playoffs, handle your own business or get handled, I hope the Packers never reach that low point, if we can't advance on our own we don't belong there (play offs?) any way....

Unfortunately, with a loss to the Lions, they do need to be beaten at least once, outside of us, before the last week. However, with Philly on our schedule and San Fran/Seattle going to play twice, we do control our destiny there.

OP
OP
D

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is certainly shaping up to be a close race between the Packers and Lions, but whereas you have faith in your Packers, I'm cautiously optimistic for the Lions.

I'm hoping that when we come back from the bye, we have some players back at full, or near full health. Calvin Johnson, Reggie Bush, Joesph Fauria, Brandon Pettigrew, Eric Ebron and LaAdrian Waddle to name a few. With those players back, the offense hopefully gets better.

The defense is pretty solid, but if Fairley is out for an extended period of time, the defensive line loses some of its strength. Hopefully getting Kyle Van Noy back after the bye improves an already good linebacking corps.

As long as they don't repeat last year's tailspin, should continue to be close by the time December 17 rolls around.

I believe you have every right to be optimistic. I personally think we could end up playing each other 3 times this year, much like when we had Minnesota in the playoffs after Week 17 two seasons ago.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the bye week coming up, our season is officially halfway done. After 8 games we are now 5-3. Not a bad record with a group of talented teams in the NFC, but obviously, we have corrections to make during this perfectly timed bye week. With that being said, let's take a look at scenarios in which we can become playoff bound and/or possibly be NFC North Champions for the 4th straight time.

1. Home Sweet Home- After the first half of our schedule saw us traveling to Seattle on opening night, traveling to Detroit and going to New Orleans, the second half of our schedule seems to be a bit more in our favor. 5 of our next 8 games will be at home, including New England and what could be a huge showdown with Detroit in Week 17.

2. Winning The NFC North- Obviously, we will be entering the second half of our season competing with a really good looking Lions team this year. Luckily, Chicago and Minnesota are not currently threatening. We are 1.5 games back which means, yes, we will have to have some help. Luckily, November appears to have some teams that could do just that when they play the Lions. For November the Lions are:

Home against the Dolphins
AT Arizona
AT New England
Home against the Bears

Dolphins have been playing well, Arizona has 1 loss and leads their division, New England is New England, and conference games can usually go either way. None of these games are guaranteed wins for them at all, plus they have an additional 3 games after these before we get them at home in Week 17. The Lions are far from wrapping this division up.

3. Winning a Wildcard- Currently, Dallas, Detroit, Carolina and Arizona lead their divisions. The 4 current wildcard contenders are Philly (2 losses), Green Bay (3 losses), San Fran (3 losses) and Seattle (3 losses). Of these four, two would be the wildcard contenders (as of now). We still control our own destiny here. We get Philly at home the week after the Bears. If we win, we take the advantage over them.

Next, 49ers and Seattle need to lose some games. Well, that's going to happen. These two teams still have to play each other......twice. So one of these teams will be knocked way down the playoff hunt with 2 additional losses or they will BOTH have another loss this season.

As far as playoff competition, we will worry about that at the end of December. Because much of that is who gets hot at the end.

I've mentioned this earlier, but I'll repeat it again. We are sitting in a position where 1 week changes everything. We aren't coming into the second half of our season desperate and needing teams to lose 3 or 4 games. There are 3 ways in (the north and 2 wildcard spots). And since we are in a position to where 1 week changes so much, imagine what could change over the next 9 weeks.

Technically, we are 1 game back and currently don't have the tiebreaker instead of 1.5 back.

If we beat the Lions, tiebreaker one would be division record and tiebreaker two would be common opponents record. Key will to be win out in the division and win against teams that have beaten the Lions like the Bills.

OP
OP
D

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Technically, we are 1 game back and currently don't have the tiebreaker instead of 1.5 back.

If we beat the Lions, tiebreaker one would be division record and tiebreaker two would be common opponents record. Key will to be win out in the division and win against teams that have beaten the Lions like the Bills.

Good point. And I had actually not thought about the Bills scenario.

M

melvin2345

I believe you have every right to be optimistic. I personally think we could end up playing each other 3 times this year, much like when we had Minnesota in the playoffs after Week 17 two seasons ago.

I would like to see that. And as far as NFL story lines go, it would be one of the better ones. I want to say that the NFC North is a strong division, but it's really just the Packers and Lions. I almost feel bad for Minnesota, but the Bears can suck it.

OP
OP
D

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see that. And as far as NFL story lines go, it would be one of the better ones. I want to say that the NFC North is a strong division, but it's really just the Packers and Lions. I almost feel bad for Minnesota, but the Bears can suck it.

You're right, it's definitely a two team division right now. It'll be an interesting second half of the season. If Arizona keeps it up, it would appear either Seattle or San Fran will be missing the playoffs.

M

melvin2345

You're right, it's definitely a two team division right now. It'll be an interesting second half of the season. If Arizona keeps it up, it would appear either Seattle or San Fran will be missing the playoffs.

Which demonstrates just how much can change in the NFL from year to year. Before the season started, SF and Seattle were "locks" for the playoffs, the Detroit defense was going to suck and the Bears were going to be a powerhouse.

OP
OP
D

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which demonstrates just how much can change in the NFL from year to year. Before the season started, SF and Seattle were "locks" for the playoffs, the Detroit defense was going to suck and the Bears were going to be a powerhouse.

Exactly. Not mention whoever these Dallas Cowboys are this year. But all eyes will be on Seattle/San Fran games. They play each other twice in three weeks. There's going to be some shake ups coming..

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Hey guys it's not like were losing games that we are favored to win. We all want to win every game but this the NFL. The good news as the poster above mentioned is we have a favorable schedule down the stretch with our tougher games at home. Win at home and take care of some the "lower tier teams" we have on road in second half and well be just fine.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Bears seem to be hyped up every year and I have no idea where it comes from.

They got two games worse last season and couldn't win the division even with Rodgers out a while.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL

Um, well, we kinda won a Super Bowl one year thanks to this formula, so I'm gonna have to disagree, haha.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts