The risk of only keeping 7 linemen

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, sure, you only carry 7 on the game day 46.

But the 3 guys we have on PS have a grand total of 2 games NFL experience between them, and those guys were not exactly tearing the cover off the ball (to mix metaphors) in preseason. The fact remains, an injury at OT would result in a shuffling of the line among the 7, weakening two positions.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
To expand on HardRightEdge's point: I was surprised they only kept 7 OL on the 53 man roster and I was/am surprised that after having done so they didn't pick up a vet OL from another team. And I certainly understand and agree with McCarthy it may not be as big a deal as some of us are making it because on game day only 7 OL are usually active anyway. They do have three OL on the PS, one of whom can be promoted if there is a longer-term injury to an O lineman. So McCarthy seems to be saying an inactive player on game day is as unavailable for that game as a PS player and of course that's true.

But here's the issue in my opinion: One of the two OL active on game day but not starting is usually the backup for the interior of the OL and the other is almost always the backup at both OT spots. EDS is a legit backup for the interior but IMO Barclay isn't a legit backup for the OT spots IMO. Does anything think if either Bulaga or Newhouse have to leave the game, Barclay will be the first one off the bench? My guess is Barclay is the second OG off the bench and Lang is the backup at both OT spots. When Sherrod returns ready to play, problem solved (although we haven't seen him succeed at LT). But the gamble they are taking is until then there isn't anything close to an experienced backup OT on the roster or the practice squad.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries..... Anyone remember the Chiefs game last year?
There are 5 guys in the trenches... these guys can go down fast & furious.
I feel there should be at least 3 backup OL guys available for sure.

You can live with moving guys around at LB or DB, but you cannot move WRs or TEs or other players onto the OL should emergency hit.

Need 3 to be safe.

H

HardRightEdge

To expand on HardRightEdge's point: I was surprised they only kept 7 OL on the 53 man roster and I was/am surprised that after having done so they didn't pick up a vet OL from another team. And I certainly understand and agree with McCarthy it may not be as big a deal as some of us are making it because on game day only 7 OL are usually active anyway. They do have three OL on the PS, one of whom can be promoted if there is a longer-term injury to an O lineman. So McCarthy seems to be saying an inactive player on game day is as unavailable for that game as a PS player and of course that's true.

But here's the issue in my opinion: One of the two OL active on game day but not starting is usually the backup for the interior of the OL and the other is almost always the backup at both OT spots. EDS is a legit backup for the interior but IMO Barclay isn't a legit backup for the OT spots IMO. Does anything think if either Bulaga or Newhouse have to leave the game, Barclay will be the first one off the bench? My guess is Barclay is the second OG off the bench and Lang is the backup at both OT spots. When Sherrod returns ready to play, problem solved (although we haven't seen him succeed at LT). But the gamble they are taking is until then there isn't anything close to an experienced backup OT on the roster or the practice squad.

The logical move would be Lang to OT. They may have a side-of-the-line preference at OG, such as Barclay at LG and EDS at RG, dunno, so I could not venture a guess at Lang's replacement. You'd reckon EDS would get the nod based on experience, all other things being equal.

I don't like it. Lang has developed into a fine LG. He's an adequate RT. He's a poor LT. The shuffle weakens two positions.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The current depth chart has ED-S first guard off the bench, then Barclay. First tackle replacement is Sherrod, second Datko--which gives us no current bench warmer for tackle. So it's obvious Lang will be the first tackle option, with ED-S moving to guard. You can be sure there will be street signings if a tackle gets hurt in the first half of the season.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
If by some freak accident we find Bulaga Saturday Sitton and Newhouse downed in one game, we see EDS at tackle, Goode at center, and Merling at guard.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is still a chance that TT does something in the next 48 hours for emergency purposes.
You have to remember that our following game is only 96 hours after the end of this one. So if anyone goes down they are not likely to heal in that short of a time even if it's an ingrown toe nail.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boy we all like to worry on these sites. There is not enough beer drinking happening around here. Crack a few and think about the start of football tomorrow night. I'm still confident that TT and MM know a lot more about their OL options than all of us combined

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boy we all like to worry on these sites. There is not enough beer drinking happening around here. Crack a few and think about the start of football tomorrow night. I'm still confident that TT and MM know a lot more about their OL options than all of us combined
But that's why we're here. To over-think their decisions and imagine what rash decisions we would make if in their situation. Usually not smart but fun to think about.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Understood, although I won't agree that it's fun to get worked up about things that really don't matter. The 53-man roster effectively forces teams to be thin at some position or another every season.

H

HardRightEdge

If you want to view fandom as a social event, and find yourself in the bag by halftime, I have not problem with that.

For others, making predictions and voicing criticisms are forms of hypothesis, to be tested. It's a way to refine one's understanding of the game. You should have no problem with that.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said it before, and I will say it again, if an OT goes down, dont be surprised if the Packers bring in Clifton to see if he has anything left...

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
I dont have a real problem with this move.

Lets say they kept Datko or Roton on the roster, gone would be Boykin, Saine, Manning or Starks to the IR. If something happens, they can always recall a lineman and make a move with a player then. Basicly, they kept the best 53, reguardless of position.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts