The Packers biggest threat reaching the SB

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to get some opnions on the team who is the biggest threat to the Packers and reaching the Super Bowl. Now it was a very close race between two teams but i'm going to shock a few people and stay within our own division and say the Bears. Yes the Bears. They have always been able to play defense but now they have a bonafied #1 wr and forte is back healthy so the offense is much improved..... and with Hester and Gould their special teams is always solid as well. I just pray that our defense comes to play this year and with something to prove or we may not even win the division. I won't even talk about the o-line and lack of a run game because Rodgers can carry us with his right arm but that can only get you so far against a team with a stout pass rush.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the talent this team has the only team thats going to beat them is themselves. Last season the offense fell apart in our only 2 losses. Drops killed us.

I know its not the answer you are looking for but to me its the right one.

If I had to pick another team it would be the saints. Brees is the only QB in the NFC thats even close to Rodgers.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Ivo's answer. The only team that can beat the Packers are the Packers themselves. But if you are talking about the closest threat: in the division it's the Bears, in the NFC it's the Saints, in the AFC it's the Patriots.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the talent this team has the only team thats going to beat them is themselves. Last season the offense fell apart in our only 2 losses. Drops killed us.

I know its not the answer you are looking for but to me its the right one.

If I had to pick another team it would be the saints. Brees is the only QB in the NFC thats even close to Rodgers.

lol yes it is a good answer..... no it's a great answer but outside of the Packers who is our biggest threat? from your Brees statement i'm going to take it as you think the Saints?

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Ivo's answer. The only team that can beat the Packers are the Packers themselves. But if you are talking about the closest threat: in the division it's the Bears, in the NFC it's the Saints, in the AFC it's the Patriots.

Saints offense can go toe to toe with ours but i'd take our defense over theres. In fact i'm expecting this years game to look alot like last years game...going down to the wire.

Reaction score
I'm tired of hearing how the Bears are going to destroy us every year. They're not. They're old. They're done. I'll be surprised if Cutler makes it through the season.

If we should fear anybody it should be the 9ers and Giants.

and Jermichael Finley.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i would agree with the saints comments....as far as IN the super bowl, there is no team in the AFC that matches the packers. this is an era where the NFC teams (packers, saints, 49ers) are dominant to the AFC.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
disagree about the bears. They may have added B Marshall at WR, but seriously....he is bad blood and WAY overrated. Any time a WR is this early in his career and has been on 3 different teams....does not say much about him in a positive way.

Also, the teddy bears didn't do ANYTHING to improve their O line and cutler was the most sacked QB last season. He can't hit his big bad WR while laying on the turf.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
disagree about the bears. They may have added B Marshall at WR, but seriously....he is bad blood and WAY overrated. Any time a WR is this early in his career and has been on 3 different teams....does not say much about him in a positive way.

Also, the teddy bears didn't do ANYTHING to improve their O line and cutler was the most sacked QB last season. He can't hit his big bad WR while laying on the turf.

true but our line isn't looking so hot either, and altho Cutler gets sacked alot they can run the ball and play defense...us on the other hand? the verdict is still out.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest threat of the Packers reaching the Superbowl?

1. The Mayans. If the world ends on Dec. 21, 2012; we will probably not go on to win the Superbowl.

That's it! That's the list!

49ers Surprised a lot of teams last season - they won't surprise anyone this year. 11-5.
Giants: Great team - but a history of taking the next season off 10-6
Saints: Loss of players; temp head coach; lots of bad juju; division opponents all improving; they don't make the playoffs 8-8
Bears: Lots of holes. Lions pass them this season 8-8
Lions: Some holes, a year out: 9-7

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ True, but people give credit to cutler for being a mobile QB, I don't think that he is as mobile as Arod is. When ol' #12 gets in trouble he escapes very well and usually make the D pay with a 1st down with his legs. Not saying Arod wont take plenty of sacks, just saying the bears O line is and will be worse than ours and I doubt their pass attck will be much better. Hester has stone hands, Earl bennet is good, Johnny knox is out for the season, both their RB's can catch a screen....but for the most part the bears don't worry me.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ivo is right. All the pieces are there but if they don't make it it's on them.

Other than that the 49ers might be the second best team in football. If their offense was a little better they would be unreal.

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score

I don't know if I agree with the Pat's being the biggest threat in the AFC I mean yea they have Tom Brady and he can light up a score bored but I mean what kind of defense do they really have? I think someone who is always a threat in the AFC is the Steelers.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though I despise his attitude, I give Cutler credit for taking a consistent beating much like David Carr did for so many years in Houston. The one thing about the Bears is Urlacher. He isn't looking healthy and that defense flows with him and dries up without him.

I sort of agree that the Packers are their worst enemy, but also think that it's a bit of an arrogant statement for us (Packer fans) to make. I'll take that from outsiders. As for teams that pose a threat, I think that it's San Francisco, New England, and Denver. The only thing holding Denver back was Tebow. They have a great defense, a great running game, and now they've got a magician at QB. It will take time for them to gel, but come playoff time P Manning will have that horse running full speed to the finish line.

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
Even though I despise his attitude, I give Cutler credit for taking a consistent beating much like David Carr did for so many years in Houston. The one thing about the Bears is Urlacher. He isn't looking healthy and that defense flows with him and dries up without him.

I sort of agree that the Packers are their worst enemy, but also think that it's a bit of an arrogant statement for us (Packer fans) to make. I'll take that from outsiders. As for teams that pose a threat, I think that it's San Francisco, New England, and Denver. The only thing holding Denver back was Tebow. They have a great defense, a great running game, and now they've got a magician at QB. It will take time for them to gel, but come playoff time P Manning will have that horse running full speed to the finish line.

so you don't think the Saints or the Steelers are a threat to the Packers?

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
true but our line isn't looking so hot either, and altho Cutler gets sacked alot they can run the ball and play defense...us on the other hand? the verdict is still out.

Our starting OL is just fine. If you want to talk about depth then I'll agree with you. I like a matchup with our offense vs their defense and their offense vs our defense.

Injuries foremost are our biggest enemy.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside from beating ourselves, and of course the real fear: injuries to our key guys #12, #52, #21, #85, I will agree that the Bears are at the top of the list behind the team who did beat us and win the Super Bowl.

The Bears defense has, by far, done the best job of slowing down Aaron Rodgers in his career. Of all teams he's started against 2 or more times, the Bears have without question held him in check the most. Adding Peppers was a brilliant move for them.

Remember, when we just won the Super Bowl, they were hosting us in the NFC Title game. It's not like they were bad. We also barely beat them weeks before that in week 17, at our place, to squeek in.

Now they added Brandon Marshall at WR, and a stud rookie WR in Alshon Jeffrey. They added a good power back in Michael "loves" Bush to combo with Forte.

Hell yeah they are a top threat.

The Giants have proven they can beat us in the playoffs. Not once but twice.
Nobody else can beat us if we play our C+ game. Maybe the Saints but I don't see it with our offense vs their defense.

The Eagles...maybe but I don't think so.... Vick's just not that good, and can't stay healthy either.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so you don't think the Saints or the Steelers are a threat to the Packers?
You're off track a bit here. The post is about biggest threat to derailing our Super Bowl hopes, not just a threat to the Packers. Those teams are good and could deal the Packers a loss but the reason that I didn't list them is because I don't think we'll play either of them in the playoffs. That doesn't mean they won't make the playoffs, just that I don't think that we'll meet them. I think we'd either play the Patriots or Broncos in the Super Bowl (if we make it that far) and the 49ers will be the only threat we'll encounter on the NFC side of the ball.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember, when we just won the Super Bowl, they were hosting us in the NFC Title game. It's not like they were bad. We also barely beat them weeks before that in week 17, at our place, to squeek in.
...and don't forget that they beat us in Week 3 prior to that! Then again, we swept 'em last year

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
You're off track a bit here. The post is about biggest threat to derailing our Super Bowl hopes, not just a threat to the Packers. Those teams are good and could deal the Packers a loss but the reason that I didn't list them is because I don't think we'll play either of them in the playoffs. That doesn't mean they won't make the playoffs, just that I don't think that we'll meet them. I think we'd either play the Patriots or Broncos in the Super Bowl (if we make it that far) and the 49ers will be the only threat we'll encounter on the NFC side of the ball.

okay okay I got you, I do like the 49ers defense and I think definitely think they would give us a run for our money, I think week 1 is gonna be amazing and a very hard fought game can't wait to see how the Packers will match up in their season opener :)
I honestly don't see the Broncos going as far as the superbowl this year just for the fact that they're team is kinda young and Peyton Manning just got there but on the other hand he knows how to lead a team and can change that team a lot for the better, so we'll just have to see how well Peyton can lead that team it should be exciting.
the Patriots always play good so they will definitely show up to play and have the skill and capability to beat the Packers but in the end I still think at the end of the day the Packers are the only team that can beat themselves.
hoping for a killer season! GO PACK GO!
BTW I like the way you talk football you're very educated and you know your stuff :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts