The Packers biggest threat reaching the SB

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
so you don't think the Saints or the Steelers are a threat to the Packers?
Steelers aren't a threat to us getting TO the superbowl because they're in the AFC. Our biggest threats IN the bowl would be the Texans, Patriots, and Ravens. New co-ordinator, rookie linemen, injuries and inner turmoil are why the Steelers are no threat. Saints would be a threat if they still had Payton.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ agree 100% about the Texans. PEOPLE !!!!....We do have to play the Texans this year. I know it's only one game, but we had better take a look at what the AFC is putting on the table as well, that will be a huge test. "If" we go the the SB, I think this is the year for the Texans to go on the AFC side. Hell, that no name rookie QB TJ Yates took them into the playoffs. If Matt Shaub and Andre Johnson hadn't been hurt, they would have gone a lot further.

Biggest threat in our division = Lions ( they are still on the rise and have the potent high power offense to keep pace with ours)

NFC threat overall= 49er's ( their defense is crazy and they added many weapons to the offense)

AFC= Them ol' Texans

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
You may be overhyping the Houston offense. Texans have Johnson at WR, that's it. After him? NOBODY. They expressed interest in Jones for a reason.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ I suppose they don't have the best, most durable running back in Arian Foster? Their back up running back, Ben Tate is VERY good as well. Take a look at their #2 WR, Keshawn Martin. That guy is a beast too. They have weapons...... Now, go look at their D.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not even that the Packers are their own biggest threat, it's that our defense will be our biggest threat. I'm still very sceptical that enough has been done over the off-season with the draft and free agency. I can't help but feel that it's going to be our offense bailing out our defense most games yet again.
It could just be a lingering feeling that I have been left with from last season but the defense in the pre-season so far have shown me nothing to be excited about :\
Out-with ourselves I think that the 49er's are close to a SB, as are the Saints. I feel our division will be tougher this year given that Cutler can stay healthy. Lions will look to improve on their season as well.
Our biggest obstacle in the playoffs would be the reigning champs, I would hate to meet them again in the playoffs.
The Giants are without a doubt the most complete team in the NFC and probably the NFL as well.
And yes I do remember that they had a horrible start but they clicked at the right time and if they can continue with that they will have a great season.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW I like the way you talk football you're very educated and you know your stuff :)
Thanks and likewise. I might have come off a little harsh in my response and you took it like Muhammad Ali, rope-a-dope style. I know that I'm in the minority with a Denver pick, but they play with a lot of youthful enthusiasm. I won't discount how much Tebow brought to the table in that department, but that team got into the divisional round last year without a legitimate QB. There's still an inspiring story and leader in Manning (coming back from injury, cast off from his only team) and more importantly, there is a real quarterback to take them deeper. I'll probably be wrong but like my odds of being right!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not even that the Packers are their own biggest threat, it's that our defense will be our biggest threat. I'm still very sceptical that enough has been done over the off-season with the draft and free agency.
I think that one thing to keep in mind about our defense is that while we've lost two big pieces from our SB run in 2010 (Jenkins and Collins), we are pretty much the same personnel. Even more important to note from a statistics side, is that 4 of the top 5 offenses last year (Packers, Patriots, Saints, Lions) had some of the worst defenses last year - none ranked higher than 23 and us and NE ranked dead last. Even the Giants were bad on defense but pretty good (8th) on offense. It's the way that the league is turning. Obviously the a team with a great offense and defense is typically going to go all of the way, but it's getting harder for defense-only teams to win while offense-only has much better odds.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that one thing to keep in mind about our defense is that while we've lost two big pieces from our SB run in 2010 (Jenkins and Collins), we are pretty much the same personnel. Even more important to note from a statistics side, is that 4 of the top 5 offenses last year (Packers, Patriots, Saints, Lions) had some of the worst defenses last year - none ranked higher than 23 and us and NE ranked dead last. Even the Giants were bad on defense but pretty good (8th) on offense. It's the way that the league is turning. Obviously the a team with a great offense and defense is typically going to go all of the way, but it's getting harder for defense-only teams to win while offense-only has much better odds.

Yes and the scary thing was, with the departure of Collins and Jenkins, yet still as you said pretty much the same personnel, we gave up the most yards in the history of the NFL in one season.
The fact remains, defense wins championships and it was our defense that got us put out in the playoffs.
Its never a team that has a good offense or a good defense that wins the Superbowl, it is a team that has both. Right now we only have a good offense, something needs to click with these guys for us to have a shot at the big dance.

Reaction score
49ers; alex smith just has to be average again for this team to be tough...
giants; depends if they show up this season, I guess if they pretend Tom's job is on the line again, idk.
Marshall Newhouse; if he let's A-Rod get beat up.... idk, we can't let A-Rod get hit.
Dumb Defense; if the guys stand there and let WRs catch wide open passes again, then... smh, idk... we're done.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its never a team that has a good offense or a good defense that wins the Superbowl, it is a team that has both. Right now we only have a good offense, something needs to click with these guys for us to have a shot at the big dance.
This runs contrary to reality. The Trent Dilfer-led 2000 Ravens certainly proved that unbalanced teams DO win the Super Bowl. Even last year the Giants were the 8th ranked offense and the 27th ranked defense. I did state that generally balanced teams win but it could be a change brewing on the NFL horizon.

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
Thanks and likewise. I might have come off a little harsh in my response and you took it like Muhammad Ali, rope-a-dope style. I know that I'm in the minority with a Denver pick, but they play with a lot of youthful enthusiasm. I won't discount how much Tebow brought to the table in that department, but that team got into the divisional round last year without a legitimate QB. There's still an inspiring story and leader in Manning (coming back from injury, cast off from his only team) and more importantly, there is a real quarterback to take them deeper. I'll probably be wrong but like my odds of being right!

aha yea man I'm very curious I guess you could say to see how Manning will do coming of a injury AND playing on a completely new team with a different style of offense, but as we all know Manning once he gets comfortable is top 5 material and the Broncos have some young weapons in receivers, I think that once Manning gets comfortable in that offense he will start to tear defenses up and to me in the last pre-season game he looked himself again, calling audibles and yelling out blocks he should have a pretty good year as long as the Denver receivers stay healthy, I think they have a pretty damn good chance at winning that division I mean really the only threat in that division is the Chargers and the Broncos can most definitely out play the Chargers. all though if they do make the play offs I'm not sure how far they will go considering they will be playing top defenses and the young receivers might just crack under pressure, But I think the Broncos in 2-3 years will be a real big threat.

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
Steelers aren't a threat to us getting TO the superbowl because they're in the AFC. Our biggest threats IN the bowl would be the Texans, Patriots, and Ravens. New co-ordinator, rookie linemen, injuries and inner turmoil are why the Steelers are no threat. Saints would be a threat if they still had Payton.

okay I see what you're saying, I think the Texans are just a tad bit over rated, just a little though because they have a very solid squad and have proven they can win but I just don't know about them doing well in the playoffs.
The Ravens defense ALWAYS scares me because Ed reed is such a ball hawk and the leadership that Ray Lewis has is incredible! and their offense is definitely coming along so they are definitely a threat.
I don't really watch Patriots football because I personally don't like them lol, But I do know that Tom Brady is nuts! he's one of the most clutch quarterbacks in the NFL hands down and he has some killer tight ends that had amazing season's last year, but I'm not familiar with their defense what so ever so I can't really touch upon that.
But I for sure think that the Packers are more than capable of beating every single team in the NFL as long as our defense plays somewhat well because I don't know how long Mr Rodgers can carry the team on his back, I'm actually kind of nervous about this season because the defense hasn't shown me anything to put my faith in them.

Members online

Latest posts