The offensive line was rusty

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was the first live action the boys have seen with cut blocking, and the first NFL action of the season in general.

I'm going to blame their ineffectiveness on rust.

This is the same team that helped Ahman get 1000 yards and helped Morency get a 4.6 average last year.

I doubt they regressed.

It is more likely they're just a little rusty.

It is the same scheme.

This is just my theory, and I hope in the upcoming weeks they prove me right. Things can only get better offensively, and watching any footage from the last half of last season, you can see this group CAN get it done.

Till then, lets remember WE WON our only game this year, and while we wait for our offense to click, which they will, we have a great defense and special teams unit that will help Brett and the boys.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We started out slow offensively last year against the Bears. It looked like we were not going to convert a third down all year after that game.

I cannot imagine the "0" line continuing to play that badly.

I blame the pass blocking as much as anything. Once Philly knew they were able to get to Favre with their ends(from both sides) it allowed the defense to play the pass with more defenders and from closer to the line of scrimmage.

If we are not running the ball we HAVE to protect Favre until he can open up the defense and back them off some. Normally, our pass protection is stellar. I expect to see it back that way next week.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you are right, trom. What worries me is that in this game the pass blocking was every bit as awful as the run blocking, which was not the case in the preseason. Maybe it was just one of those days when things don't go well. I'm very happy they got the win in spite of the O-line problems.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was the first live action the boys have seen with cut blocking, and the first NFL action of the season in general.

This is the same team that helped Ahman get 1000 yards and helped Morency get a 4.6 average last year.

I doubt they regressed.

It is the same scheme.

This is just my theory, and I hope in the upcoming weeks they prove me right. Things can only get better offensively, and watching any footage from the last half of last season, you can see this group CAN get it done.

Till then, lets remember WE WON our only game this year, and while we wait for our offense to click, which they will, we have a great defense and special teams unit that will help Brett and the boys.
great theory, when will the rust wear off.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully by week 3.

They can play EXACTLY how they did this week vs. the giants, and we will still win, because the Giants are now an AFL team due to their injuries.

I expect them to slowly but surely improve, and by week 3-4, they will be a consistently productive unit

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rust and communication. We all know an O line is the most complex unit on the field of play. They are like a NASCAR engine and if one piston is not firing properly or the timing belt is not perfect you are not going to take the checkered flag.

I have confidence they will be better next week and even better the week after. Plus once they look at the film tomorrow they will want to make it up to Brett.

Good post Trom.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I doubt they regressed.

It is the same scheme.

Yes, they are rusty, but its only the first game of the season. Relax.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

I doubt they regressed.

It is the same scheme.

.....I think you missed the point of this thread, and shouldn't you be in the Randy Moss thread?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
I expect to see it back that way next week.

With the whole Giants team being on the injury report, it would be nice to see the Pack line dominate next week.
I just hope the Packers keep up the good play on D, and not overlook the Giants because of their injury situation. I hope they bring it 100% to the Giants.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

I doubt they regressed.

It is the same scheme.

Packer Chick did you even take the time to read this post?

Packer Chick wrote: "Yes, they are rusty, but its only the first game of the season. Relax"

I have been wrong before, and if I again am sorry. Perhaps I am posting like a Blondie ***** talking football, but I thought Trom's post was very positive and encouraging regarding the O Line.

I would expand on this but I have to do the dishes, fold the laundry, and get Linda a beer because she is watching Monday Night Football.

Let's get together for a Tupperware party and talk Packer Football.

S-L-O-W- D-O-W-N... And read the post.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wells was on sports radio 1250 am out of Milwaukee today and I couldnt hear what he said

There might be something up there tomorrow, i know they archive the interviews

link to 1250

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind is that starting backs were rookies, so there was some help from them on blocking but mostly it fell on the O line and that will make any line look bad.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind is that starting backs were rookies, so there was some help from them on blocking but mostly it fell on the O line and that will make any line look bad.

Korey Hall made a few tough blocks. He never shy away from contact.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vechenzo said:

Wynn did a decent job in pass pro too. The ones that stood out (in a bad way) were Tauscher and Clifton. So I expect that to change REAL quick.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget that when healthy, the Eagles have one of the best defensive lines in the NFL. Even better at generating a pass rush. Then there's Jim Johnson, who has some of the most explosive blitz packages in the league.

The Eagles created a pass rush, we didn't just hand em the sacks.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
vechenzo said:

Wynn did a decent job in pass pro too. The ones that stood out (in a bad way) were Tauscher and Clifton. So I expect that to change REAL quick.

I think this is Clifton's last year in Green Bay. He's been declining the last two seasons. Last year he was not all that good. He was solid but not as good as in years past. This year he's not off to a fast start. I know it's early but I realy like the USC LT, Sam Baker as a potential 1st round pick and maybe he could be the next Packer LT. I'd like Jake Long but he's likely a top 5 pick so I wouldn't expect the Pack to be in position to land him.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
MassPackersFan said:
porky88 said:
vechenzo said:

I think this is Clifton's last year in Green Bay. He's been declining the last two seasons. Last year he was not all that good. He was solid but not as good as in years past. This year he's not off to a fast start. I know it's early but I realy like the USC LT, Sam Baker as a potential 1st round pick and maybe he could be the next Packer LT. I'd like Jake Long but he's likely a top 5 pick so I wouldn't expect the Pack to be in position to land him.

I think Daryn Colledge is our next LT in waiting.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't have a good feeling about Clifton either. I still remember him on the sidelines during the preseason a couple years ago with two big bags of ice taped to his knees. I can't shake that image. And that cheap shot by Warren Sapp could not have done him any favors.

After last week's game, I'm also worried about Tauscher for the first time. He looked stiff out there.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Let's not forget that when healthy, the Eagles have one of the best defensive lines in the NFL. Even better at generating a pass rush. Then there's Jim Johnson, who has some of the most explosive blitz packages in the league.

The Eagles created a pass rush, we didn't just hand em the sacks.

thats exactly right.... i mean we knew this going into the game.. i said it in a few posts. Jim Johnson is a master at defensive game planning. he can send the blitz on anyone.

Thats no excuse for the poor play all day... but i think its a combination of factors.

Good Defensive front
Great Blitzing and gameplanning from Jim Johnson
Intimidation setting in after they get off to a fast start
feeling insecure about the rookie backs maybe
and overall rustiness.

the great news is... we won the game and the O-line couldnt possibly get any worse right???

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a likely situation considering MM's approach to the preseason this year. Last year he focused on working the players and the team was worn down. This year he focused on keeping them fresh and gave the starters a lot of time off.

The upside is fewer injuries and the team not being worn out by preseason. The down side is being rusty at the beginning of the season. Hopefully it won't take long to knock that rust off. The Eagles were a very tough defense to start out against when focused and ready -- even tougher when rusty. It was a good start to whip these guys into focusing and knocking off the rust. Now bring on the Giants of NY!

I agree that this is the key to our offense. We've got some good weapons, but the OL is the primary factor. Our WRs corps is solid, our TEs are playing better and our RBs aren't bad. But if the OL doesn't play well, then there is no room to run and no time to pass. Bring it together, with strong defensive play, and this team can go far.

GO PACK GO!!!

Members online

Latest posts