The offense must run through Jones and Dillon

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is fun to consider the possibilities.

I think the Bills would be looking for Dillon for what would amount to a later 4th rounder area (or less) I doubt the Packers want to let him go for that. It would breakup the only truly “known” part of our Offense.
It would take a 3rd Rounder at minimum for me and I don’t think Buffalo would part with that. I’d rather have a go at 2023 with our stellar RB1-2 punch intact.
Dillon is young, his legs are still fresh, and he has a lot of talent. He's a guaranteed quantity, not a pick that could go bad. That's why I see him as valuable.

Kramer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cool concept but let's see what the reality will be. I am not excited at all about this offense. Not the line neccessarily, just the other aspects of it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cool concept but let's see what the reality will be. I am not excited at all about this offense. Not the line neccessarily, just the other aspects of it.
Well you're being honest. I'm looking forward to the season, but it's a very different feeling than each of the last 30 or so seasons. When Favre and Rodgers were around, and with rare, rare exceptions, I think most of us were excited by the possibility of a SB. Yeah the team won it twice, but the anticipation was always there.

This year, that's not the case for me. I'm very curious and interested in watching these young guys play. But excited for a deep playoff run or SB? Nope. Hopefully soon, but the entire team - from the FO to the last position coach to every player - has a lot to prove. As fans, we're gonna have to be patient and give em a chance.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It is fun to consider the possibilities.

I think the Bills would be looking for Dillon for what would amount to a later 4th rounder area (or less) I doubt the Packers want to let him go for that. It would breakup the only truly “known” part of our Offense.
It would take a 3rd Rounder at minimum for me and I don’t think Buffalo would part with that. I’d rather have a go at 2023 with our stellar RB1-2 punch intact.
Agree.

Dillon is an important part of the offense, especially if AJ goes down with an injury. Packers are paying him peanuts (rookie deal $1.3M). If the Packers can't resign him after this season, they will at least get a plus in the offset category of 2025 compensatory picks and potentially a 4th or 5th round comp pick. No way do you trade Dillon, unless it is one hell of an offer.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the season, but it's a very different feeling than each of the last 30 or so seasons. When Favre and Rodgers were around
Just keep in mind, very few people probably were envisioning Super Bowls during Favre and Rodgers first and maybe even second years.

Give Love a chance.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just keep in mind, very few people probably were envisioning Super Bowls during Favre and Rodgers first and maybe even second years.

Give Love a chance.
That's very true. I don't recall much from Favre's early years, but I certainly didn't expect much from Rodgers. I think he hurt his foot in his first TC as the starter, he still had that goofy way he held the ball, right up against the side of his helmet.

But I knew in that high-scoring playoff loss to the Cardinals, I think it was 2009, that he was the real deal. And yeah, Love deserves the same early patience.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Bills would send a multi pick package that includes a Day 2…like either of these:

Their 2nd and a 5th for Dillon and our 6th
OR
Their 3rd and a 4th for Dillon and our 5th

I think if you’re Gute you got consider strongly. Especially if your staff tells you Goodson has clicked and Lew has indicated ability too.

To me I see 2024 same as when Williams and Jones were both set for deals…both likely won’t be here next year. Jones is set to make too much to pay Dillon without massive pay cut accepted….unless i have strong confirmation Jones is willing to do that Dillon is sadly likely on his way out.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they can get Zeke or Cook for a decent price they won't have to give up any draft capital. IMO they could use some more depth at RB, but I actually like their current RB room and do not believe they will overpay (salary or draft picks). Harris' injury history could be something they are leery about also.

Reaction score
If they can get Zeke or Cook for a decent price they won't have to give up any draft capital. IMO they could use some more depth at RB, but I actually like their current RB room and do not believe they will overpay (salary or draft picks). Harris' injury history could be something they are leery about also.
Yeah I agree. Cook is the best between those but he’s probably wanting North of $10Mil$$. Versus Dillon who would save them $10Mil. It’s a trade off of $$ vs draft capital and I’m not sure which they’d prefer.

I will say if we get into a Day 2 selection (even with a Day 3 Kickback draft selection such as a 6th) it would be hard not to consider it. We’d likely have 2-1sts, 1-2nd, 2-3rds,2-4ths etc.. it’s a lot of draft firepower to go grab our next franchise RB with a 1 year overlap with Jones (2024) We’d also have that upper echelon RB on a new Rookie deal over overpaying Dillon or watching Dillon jump ship anyway. I mean I like Dillon but unless you pay him market + there’s zero guarantee he stays in GB.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Gute plans on being busy in Free Agency next year, then a compensatory pick for the eventual loss of a player like Dillon, probably doesn't need to be considered. However, it is always a minute detail that needs to be thought about. If I felt that the Packers were SB contenders this season, no way would I want them to trade Dillon. However, since I don't think that they will be, I am fine with trading players like Dillon (expiring contracts), if decent value is obtained. I agree with @tynimiller, they may not be able to keep both Jones and Dillon on the 2024 roster, so that has to be factored in as well. I also think that if Love appears to be legit and the team is trending upwards by seasons end, Gute will be very active in the 2024 Free Agency market.

JPPT1974

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really keep Dillion and Jones this year. Need to if they want to groom young Jordan Love and in the possibly trying to draft players in the 2024 draft in order to have those rookies start and gain chemistry. As it will be after 2023 IMHO, time to move on.

Reaction score
If Gute plans on being busy in Free Agency next year, then a compensatory pick for the eventual loss of a player like Dillon, probably doesn't need to be considered. However, it is always a minute detail that needs to be thought about. If I felt that the Packers were SB contenders this season, no way would I want them to trade Dillon. However, since I don't think that they will be, I am fine with trading players like Dillon (expiring contracts), if decent value is obtained. I agree with @tynimiller, they may not be able to keep both Jones and Dillon on the 2024 roster, so that has to be factored in as well. I also think that if Love appears to be legit and the team is trending upwards by seasons end, Gute will be very active in the 2024 Free Agency market.
I liked your idea on the compensatory angle give or taking on Free Agents. Another thing to consider is location in each draft round, which we could argue would be towards the bottom. We spent a #60’s selection and got 3 years of usage from Dillon. If we were to recoup a #90 area overall? that’s a pretty attractive offer.
Personally I’m always leaning towards retaining my draft picks because I think it’s an important statement to his other teammates about loyalty. We saw how that worked out with other players and it absolutely creates animosity and that’s worth considering also. Somethings just aren’t meant to be sold…

A Day 1 did you say?? He’s on the next Bus to Buffalo Sir!

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well you're being honest. I'm looking forward to the season, but it's a very different feeling than each of the last 30 or so seasons. When Favre and Rodgers were around, and with rare, rare exceptions, I think most of us were excited by the possibility of a SB. Yeah the team won it twice, but the anticipation was always there.

This year, that's not the case for me. I'm very curious and interested in watching these young guys play. But excited for a deep playoff run or SB? Nope. Hopefully soon, but the entire team - from the FO to the last position coach to every player - has a lot to prove. As fans, we're gonna have to be patient and give em a chance.
Lol, Try that line some time in the game thread and see how far it goes.

I very much agree with you though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah what I think and feel about giving the team a chance now would be grotesquely different after an 0-5 start. So much for patience.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There some folks with this idea that the Packers should win not just every game, but every play. That the other team is a group of stupid and out of shape players that could care less if they win. Should the other team be successful on a play it's because our coach, player or GM screwed up and never that the other team just made a great play.

I haven't gone into the game day thread in a long time. Not sure I ever gained an iota of insight by doing such.

Reaction score
There some folks with this idea that the Packers should win not just every game, but every play. That the other team is a group of stupid and out of shape players that could care less if they win. Should the other team be successful on a play it's because our coach, player or GM screwed up and never that the other team just made a great play.

I haven't gone into the game day thread in a long time. Not sure I ever gained an iota of insight by doing such.
True. It’s a lot of overreaction and emotion in Shout (myself included) That said as long as you prepare yourself for lots of temporary emotional outbursts (good and bad) it’s actually ok. It’s kinda like watching a game at a sports bar with alcohol flowing it gets a little heated.

I still like the post game thread though. It’s good seeing the game from several angles through other Packer fans’ eyes

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I defenitly want to see a meaningful ground game but I wouldn't say it needs to run through AJ&AJD. We have a lit of talented pass catchers on the roster now and all though they are mostly rookies I think we should be able to run a balanced attack and be successful provided J-Lo is at least competent.

However to your point due to most of our young talent being rookies maybe heavier reliance on ground game during the first half of the season and until they get the hang of the playbook/system isn't bad ideaif opposingb D# allowed for it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I defenitly want to see a meaningful ground game but I wouldn't say it needs to run through AJ&AJD. We have a lit of talented pass catchers on the roster now and all though they are mostly rookies I think we should be able to run a balanced attack and be successful provided J-Lo is at least competent.

However to your point due to most of our young talent being rookies maybe heavier reliance on ground game during the first half of the season and until they get the hang of the playbook/system isn't bad ideaif opposingb D# allowed for it.
All good points. Yeah I hope MLF has a creative side. Opposing Ds should be looking for run and shorter routes from the WRs and TEs. Even so, Love has been in the system for three years. So I expect him to be able to execute the entire playbook.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm in the same camp, as far as what to expect from the 2023 Packers. I would also add, if the offense is sputtering, which I expect, the defense is probably going to be on the field a lot, . That could become a big factor, when the 4th Q. rolls around.
It might be a big factor when you look at the scoreboard at halftime.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I was curious just how many teams have a deeper backfield that are run based offenses...

2022 Top 5 Rushing Teams (actually went seven deep due to Fields and Jackson skew it) by yards produced and top three rushers:

Bears - David Montgomery / Khalil Herbert / Trestan Ebner *Fields skews this of course....but this RB room is NOT better than ours.
Ravens - Kenyan Drake / JK Dobbins / Gus Edwards *Lamara skews as well here...but this RB room is NOT better than ours.
Falcons - Tyler Allgeier / Cordarrelle Patterson / Caleb Huntley....NOT better than our room.
Giants - Barkley / Matt Breida / Gary Brightwell...NOT a better room than ours, but best of the ones so far listed.
Eagles - Miles Sanders / Boston Scott / Kenneth Gainwell...NOT better room than ours.
Browns - Chubb / Hunt / Jerome Ford...the first one of the list I believe has a valid argument, although I personally believe our duo is way more diverse and better if even just slightly due to Taylor have vastly more production and experience than Ford as each teams current RB3 arguably.
49ers - McCaffrey / Jeff Wilson / Elijah Mitchell...personally RB1 you could argue Christian over Aaron...but collectively I think its a wash, but I'm a big Elijah Mitchell fan and perhaps I'm thinking higher of them than I should.

Fact is we are massively deeper than many teams, even including many of which the run is a MASSIVE piece to their offense.
I believe another factor to consider is the offensive line. Sometimes that is what makes defending the run difficult just as stopping the runner.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might be a big factor when you look at the scoreboard at halftime.
Yeah I hope not, but if TOP is something like 10/20, Packers/Opponent, then the D will be tired for the rest of the game. These guys are well-conditioned athletes, but they are gonna get tired when they're giving it all on every snap and they can't get off the field.

It's usually the other way around for the offense, and it's really just based on that strangest of factors - momentum.

So does MLF open up the play book for Love and the offense on Day 1? Probably not. Even the best teams take a few games to get settled with new players, coaches, playbooks, and on - oh and a rookie QB. The receivers are pretty much all 1st and 2nd year guys. Gonna take some time.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe another factor to consider is the offensive line. Sometimes that is what makes defending the run difficult just as stopping the runner.
You can see how much the OL means to the run game when replays are shown from behind the QB. Sometimes there are just gaping holes, sometimes absolutely nothing. And sometimes runners like Jones can create and take advantage of very small gaps to get to the LBs/secondary.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly. Great level coaching is more important than hitting on any 1 great player in the draft. We obviously have a terrific RB coach in Ben Sirmans. It’s no coincidence that he coached RB’s at B.C. For 5 seasons. Imo he was indirectly involved in the eventual selection of Dillon.
1959 was a radical change within the entire process: Playbook, game plan, player roles, practice, coaching staff, and coaching philosophy. A lot of the roster from 57 and 58 were there but the transformation onto the playing was a metamorphosis.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point. With a good receiver, a QB can throw the ball in the area of the receiver on a deep route with the thinking "my guy can beat your guy." It doesn't have to be an artistic, pinpoint throw. In that case, the receiver really makes the play.

Lazard was a pretty good receiver. As I recall, he won his share of contested catches. I don't remember a lot of long balls going his way. Then again, Rodgers was routinely overthrowing guys last year.
I recall Lazard making a great catch on a long throw against the Bears as a rookie but the defender was right with him as well as one in New Orleans that let him free.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I hope not, but if TOP is something like 10/20, Packers/Opponent, then the D will be tired for the rest of the game. These guys are well-conditioned athletes, but they are gonna get tired when they're giving it all on every snap and they can't get off the field.

It's usually the other way around for the offense, and it's really just based on that strangest of factors - momentum.

So does MLF open up the play book for Love and the offense on Day 1? Probably not. Even the best teams take a few games to get settled with new players, coaches, playbooks, and on - oh and a rookie QB. The receivers are pretty much all 1st and 2nd year guys. Gonna take some time.
The playbook may not be completely opened up but I don't think LaFleur is going to go down playing patty cake either. One good thing is that all the receivers and TEs have been learning together. Not a lot of vets taking all the reps. I think that will help.

Members online

No members online now.