The No. 2 CB Spot

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far we know Harris nearing the completion of his rehab but uncertainty remains as to whether he'll be ready to go starting week 1. That's not particularly a bad thing considering we still have Tramon Williams who showed last season that he can play in Harris' stead. My question though, is where Harris fits in once he's physically able to play. Like our offensive line, depth is certainly a good problem to have and I imagine a couple of scenarios happening:

a) Whichever game Harris does return, he may return to his No. 2 spot next to Woodson and demote Williams back into the nickel role.

b) If the coaches feel fine with Tramon as a full fledged starter opposite Woodson, they might keep him there while throwing in Harris at the Nickel.

c) Williams and Harris rotate at the No. 2 occasionally from time to time. This produces flexibility and confusion for opposing offenses.

d) This is extreme wishful thinking but some other CB like Pat Lee or Brandon Underwood prove themselves worthy and get a significant amount of reps at the spot.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
I'd say A, but it would be Harris returns and takes the #2 spot while Williams goes back into the Nickel Role. While Woodson maintains his promotion to the #1 spot after Harris' injury. Since, you know, Harris was our #1 corner and all...

But yeah, if he's atleast 75% he'll be constant #2.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say A, but it would be Harris returns and takes the #2 spot while Williams goes back into the Nickel Role. While Woodson maintains his promotion to the #1 spot after Harris' injury. Since, you know, Harris was our #1 corner and all...

But yeah, if he's atleast 75% he'll be constant #2.

3irty1 how did I know you were going to be the first one to comment on this? LOL. In all seriousness though, no disrespect to Harris but when I said No. 2 spot I meant the guy who starts opposite Woodson, not the top CB on the field. Harris always went up against the other teams' best receiver so yes technically he was the No. 1 CB, I agree with you there. But we all know for next season, nobody will take away Woodson's starting role. I also agree with you that Harris will maintain his No. 2 spot once he does come back. Too much experience and leadership to be left on the bench IMO.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
He'll probably be slower. And he was slow already. I say he becomes #3 on the depth chart because we have nobody else, and then after this year his time with the Packers might be at an end.

zimbabwe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say he will return to number 2.... But will play a little more zone... If mike mckenzie can come back and do a decent job for saints... I think Al will regain his starting spot... I think it will do the young ones some good to be around Al because it sucks playing hard and having a blown coverage cause us games....

PApackersfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
any of you guys watch Al's rehad documentary on youtube..."road to recovery"? He is def gonna be the same, just as strong if not stronger. Toward midway/end of season he'll be at %100 like he was the start of last season and hopefully we'll be going into the post season with 2 top CB.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Harris is a warrior, a true professional. But nobody comes back from a torn ACL (and he had more than just a torn ACL) and plays the exact same as before the injury. They all take some time to get back to before, and Al will be no exception.

Al shouldn't be starting any games for us this year. If he does, it's because Tramon has gotten torched as a starter, or because Woodson actually misses some games for us. People forget how many games he missed in Oakland, and how lucky we all are that he's been so durable for us.

I can't believe they are saying Underwood is ahead of Pat Lee at this point. Pat Lee has had a lot more time in the league than Underwood has, and he was a much higher draft pick. Lee needs to rise up and be good. But both guys need to show something on the field for us to really have an opinion. We do know that Underwood is a POS as a person who embarassed Clay Matthews charity golf event.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Tramon is able to play better than Harris did when he got injuried, he'll start despite Harris' return. If Tramon is able to play better than Harris, in practices, he'll start until Harris is in full form.

If Tramon can't pick up the pace, he'll only warm the spot for when Harris is able to at least step on the field.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Harris is a warrior, a true professional. But nobody comes back from a torn ACL (and he had more than just a torn ACL) and plays the exact same as before the injury. They all take some time to get back to before, and Al will be no exception.

Al shouldn't be starting any games for us this year. If he does, it's because Tramon has gotten torched as a starter, or because Woodson actually misses some games for us. People forget how many games he missed in Oakland, and how lucky we all are that he's been so durable for us.

I can't believe they are saying Underwood is ahead of Pat Lee at this point. Pat Lee has had a lot more time in the league than Underwood has, and he was a much higher draft pick. Lee needs to rise up and be good. But both guys need to show something on the field for us to really have an opinion. We do know that Underwood is a POS as a person who embarassed Clay Matthews charity golf event.

I'm with you on that, Harris was quoted as saying that his injury was "one of the worst in a long while." The extent to which he suffered damage to his leg was brutal, but certainly not enough to hinder his comeback. I do think Harris will be back, just not 100%.

I'm surprised at the Underwood over Pat Lee evaluation as well. Then again, Mccarthy did say that Underwood was the most improved player in minicamps thus far. For a guy like Pat Lee who has absolutely no playing time, shouldn't he be showing the most improvement? I have a lot of confidence in Lee but there seems to be lingering doubts in the back of my mind.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one said Underwood is ahead of Lee.

MM said he was the "most improved". Lee was active in minicamp and TC last year, so that's where the evaluation is coming from. Moreso, Underwood sucked last year. He was behind Jarrett Bush, for crying out loud!

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one said Underwood is ahead of Lee.

MM said he was the "most improved". Lee was active in minicamp and TC last year, so that's where the evaluation is coming from. Moreso, Underwood sucked last year. He was behind Jarrett Bush, for crying out loud!

I give Underwood the benefit of the doubt since he was only a rookie. But there were times when he did show flashes of being good and able to handle dimeback duties. Plus he actually contributes on special teams unlike Jarrett Bush. He made that crucial onside kick recovery in the wildcard game.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give Underwood the benefit of the doubt since he was only a rookie. But there were times when he did show flashes of being good and able to handle dimeback duties. Plus he actually contributes on special teams unlike Jarrett Bush. He made that crucial onside kick recovery in the wildcard game.
I'm not saying he IS bad. I'm saying he WAS.

After all, he was a 6th round pick that changed college. He was supposed to be extremely raw.

21dmvp21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i am kinda hoping for B, i love harris but after suffering this injury last season i just dont think he will be able to keep up with the elite WR in the game. i have already found myself screaming at the tv when harris got burned for a td. TW has alot of upside, he has proven to be a very good corner, not great like AH but with some playing time and coaching i can see him being a pro bowler very soon. harris would be a good nickle back. pat lee and brandon underwood should make strides this year also. pat lee has had two years to get healthy and learn the system and the game. and underwood despite his off the field issues i think will be a solid player for the pack.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jarret Bush could get coached up, as long as he can put in the work, I saw some of the big plays he let up in different games, good amount of the ones I saw he had good coverage and I believe with a little more experience and coaching would've defended the pass.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i am kinda hoping for B, i love harris but after suffering this injury last season i just dont think he will be able to keep up with the elite WR in the game. i have already found myself screaming at the tv when harris got burned for a td. TW has alot of upside, he has proven to be a very good corner, not great like AH but with some playing time and coaching i can see him being a pro bowler very soon. harris would be a good nickle back. pat lee and brandon underwood should make strides this year also. pat lee has had two years to get healthy and learn the system and the game. and underwood despite his off the field issues i think will be a solid player for the pack.

I think Harris can actually go up against a lot of the great receivers in the game right now, but only a handful. Younger guys like Crabtree and Harvin easily burned Harris when he was covering them. I agree that Tramon Williams getting the reps at No. 2 further enhances his development. I believe he's our long term starter at that position. Maybe in a couple more years he can be a No. 1 guy, but at this point I'm not making any guarantees.

I think Jarret Bush could get coached up, as long as he can put in the work, I saw some of the big plays he let up in different games, good amount of the ones I saw he had good coverage and I believe with a little more experience and coaching would've defended the pass.

You're kidding me right??!!!

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Harris can actually go up against a lot of the great receivers in the game right now, but only a handful. Younger guys like Crabtree and Harvin easily burned Harris when he was covering them. I agree that Tramon Williams getting the reps at No. 2 further enhances his development. I believe he's our long term starter at that position. Maybe in a couple more years he can be a No. 1 guy, but at this point I'm not making any guarantees.

You're kidding me right??!!!

I really don't see Al Harris as that great of a #2 Corner, I've seen too many TD's scored on him...now with a knee surgery...do you really believe he can even have any coverage ability...JEVON WALKER career went to crap from it...and yea BUSH has ability, he is young enough to get better...and if this 2nd year in the new system doesn't show improvement then yes I agree he is done.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't see Al Harris as that great of a #2 Corner, I've seen too many TD's scored on him...now with a knee surgery...do you really believe he can even have any coverage ability...JEVON WALKER career went to crap from it...and yea BUSH has ability, he is young enough to get better...and if this 2nd year in the new system doesn't show improvement then yes I agree he is done.
Bush has athletic ability.

However, he has ZERO ball awereness. He's able to stay with his man to some degree, but he NEVER finds the ball in the air. And it's not like the receiver is always Cris Carter, who only extended his hands in the exact time the ball hit, so the DB couldn't find it. Bush seems like an infant, trying to move his arms to hit something, only to end up like a fool on the ground.

You can't lear ball awareness. Either you have it or you don't. He doesn't. He sucks.

Stop the Insanity! l Packers Lounge

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score

There were many TD's scored on Woodson as well, that doesn't mean he's not great. Most of the time Harris didn't get burned (save your Burress comments, it was 1 game), but rather the safety didn't cover over the top. This was especially the case during the first Queens game last season when Collins was injured

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be most surprised if Harris is effective this year. But if there isn't a huge improvement in the pass rush, it won't make any difference who's trying to cover anyway. It's all about the pressure on the QB.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be most surprised if Harris is effective this year. But if there isn't a huge improvement in the pass rush, it won't make any difference who's trying to cover anyway. It's all about the pressure on the QB.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Especially against THAT guy, I agree.

Members online

Latest posts