The New Look Badgers - 2023

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When it comes to offensive linemen, the Badgers have a lot of them for 2023. If I recall correctly, the entire group from 2022 was sophomores, and maybe two freshman, and only one senior. The shelf is stocked, and they didn't play all that bad in 2022, to warrant throwing them under the bus.

I think Fickell realized there were other needs, and these kids are going to give them a good group to work with.

When you think about it, having all that experience coming back in 2023 is a dream come true.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now, the question about the defensive line always bothers me. We can find the decent nose tackle, but we sometimes have problems bringing on the horses to work with them. I hope we have them growing up in the system.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Now, the question about the defensive line always bothers me. We can find the decent nose tackle, but we sometimes have problems bringing on the horses to work with them. I hope we have them growing up in the system.
They tend to rely on linebacker play to put pressure on the QB. Once in awhile they have a decent DE, but I'd like to see that upgraded.

Krabs

Reaction score
Don't know anything about signing days, commitments, etc., but I saw a couple of articles yesterday that Wisconsin had the third-from-the-bottom class. Any explanatory comments would be welcome.
Found WI's recruiting rank:
Big Ten Ranking: No. 12
National Ranking: No. 56
Number of Commits: 14
247Sports Points: 181.74
Avg. Points per Commit: 87.31

Krabs

Reaction score
Found WI's recruiting rank:
Big Ten Ranking: No. 12
National Ranking: No. 56
Number of Commits: 14
247Sports Points: 181.74
Avg. Points per Commit: 87.31
Here's another nugget: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/winners-losers-college-football-signing-222642737.html

New coaches​

"The early signing day forces new hires from outside the current program to assemble classes in a matter of days, and not months, during a period of time where instability and recent results leave little foundation for this recruiting cycle. Hugh Freeze of Auburn was only coach in this situation to have a top 25 class. Among those that need to take advantage of the late signing period and start building for 2024 are Ryan Walters of Purdue, Scott Satterfield of Cincinnati, Kenny Dillingham of Arizona State and Deion Sanders of Colorado."

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the star ranking system is flawed. It relates to raw talent, yet every year, the majority of 5 star athletes on the list end up not being on the field, and often end up either hitting the portal, or being a sub, until they leave college. The true test of a player is how he fits into a program, and performs in that program. Wisconsin has excelled in getting players that fit into each slot and produce effectively.

One of the best attributes of the Chryst era was that they did find "athletes." Even Braelon Allen came in as an "athlete," who had only one year at RB in HS, and was primarily considered a linebacker by most standards. But, he knew he was going to be an RB, and wanted to be such. If they switched him tomorrow, to LB, he'd succeed there as well.

Don't put a lot of stock in the rankings. Over the years, Wisconsin has been in the low 20s and into the 40s, and still been one of the top 15 teams in the nation.

The real test takes place on the field, and Wisconsin has been winning that battle.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its been obvious, Wisconsin has had big recruiting problems since the number of high NFL draft picks as well as total draft picks has been trending downward. The 2021 is a great example of that. Beyond Allen and Herbig, there were no other players you had to worry about. Even the once vaunted O line has really declined the past several years. This year's lowly regarded class fits in well with the trend. When was the last time the Badgers had a first or second round draft choice at D line, CB, WR, TE, Safety, and not to mention QB ? When they play teams in the top 20, their lack of athleticism really shows. The game at Ohio State this year was a prime example. They couldn't cover anybody. Ohio State, if they wanted, could've put up over 80 on the Badgers. They were completely dismantled giving up 28 points in the first 16 minutes of the game.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When was the last time the Badgers had a first or second round draft choice at D line, CB, WR, TE, Safety, and not to mention QB ?

I believe :

QB - Never (Wilson highest recently drafted at 3rd round)
DL - 2011 Watt
CB/S - 2001 Fletcher
WR - 2004 Evans
TE - 2011 Kendrick

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look more at the number of players who have made it in the NFL. If you look around, you'll see guys who reach that are FAs, and some that weren't even considered full time starters at Wisconsin. Right now there are 33. That tells me that there has been talent going through Madison, just not enough to make them as good as they needed to be, to play with the big dogs. Being in the top 15 tells me they have done something right.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I might add, I believe we're up to about 33 if you include those on reserves and IR?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe :

QB - Never (Wilson highest recently drafted at 3rd round)
DL - 2011 Watt
CB/S - 2001 Fletcher
WR - 2004 Evans
TE - 2011 Kendrick
Wow, thanks for the results. Proves my point that the Badgers haven't reruited top end talent at those critical positions in a very long time.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watt was in round 1 just a handful of years ago. I’m too lazy to check the rest.

But it’s a shame to include a TE as critical but not offensive linemen.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All said, Wisconsin has produced some pretty darned good football players even though they never pulled in the high 4 to 5 star rated players. To me, it showed they were either lucky in picking their horse flesh, or were actually pretty good at finding diamonds in the rough. I could offer a couple more cliques on this, but I think that's enough. :)

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Badgers have excelled at running backs, linebackers and offensive linemen. The other positions not so much if viewed through the lens of the NFL draft. Unless they can recruit and develop better DB's, WR's and QB's, the Badgers won't be able to compete anymore against top 20 teams. I think their record against top 20 teams over the past 5 to 6 years shows that downward trend.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Badgers have excelled at running backs, linebackers and offensive linemen. The other positions not so much if viewed through the lens of the NFL draft. Unless they can recruit and develop better DB's, WR's and QB's, the Badgers won't be able to compete anymore against top 20 teams. I think their record against top 20 teams over the past 5 to 6 years shows that downward trend.
I think you nailed the top 3 needs in recruiting. The trick is to maintain what they're doing in other areas of recruiting, and adding on more in the areas you mentioned. If it happens, the Badgers could become a threat to be in that 12 team playoff format for the national title a lot of years. Got my fingers crossed it happens. Throw in a few defensive linemen to boot, and you've got something real special. Maybe a TE here and there, boom!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Its been obvious, Wisconsin has had big recruiting problems since the number of high NFL draft picks as well as total draft picks has been trending downward. The 2021 is a great example of that. Beyond Allen and Herbig, there were no other players you had to worry about. Even the once vaunted O line has really declined the past several years. This year's lowly regarded class fits in well with the trend. When was the last time the Badgers had a first or second round draft choice at D line, CB, WR, TE, Safety, and not to mention QB ? When they play teams in the top 20, their lack of athleticism really shows. The game at Ohio State this year was a prime example. They couldn't cover anybody. Ohio State, if they wanted, could've put up over 80 on the Badgers. They were completely dismantled giving up 28 points in the first 16 minutes of the game.
I kind of agree and kind of don't. Totally agree on Chryst not being able to convince many high level kids to come to Wisconsin, but the program has still produced NFL ready players, through good coaching. They had 6 players declare early for the draft. Herbig, Center Joe Tippmann, nose tackle Keeanu Benton, guard Tyler Beach and cornerbacks Justin Clark and Jay Shaw. Benton is a stud, would love to see him in G & G. NFL scouts will continue to drool over WI. Linebackers, really wish the Packers would have drafted one, not named Vince Biegel.

All that said, I really like what Fickell has done in his short time here. Between getting players to reverse their original plans of transferring or uncommitting, along with getting transfers and committers to other teams to come to WI. I was a bit disappointed to lose Leonhard, but I knew Fickell was the more seasoned HC. His recruiting efforts thus far, are a huge bonus for the program.

Krabs

Reaction score
SMU QB Tanner Mordecai looks likely to head to Wisconsin. Stockpiling QBs for once.
I think that Mordecai will be the starter this next season (2023). He may have to compete with Burkett and Evers. Evers is an incoming freshman. He will sit for a season and learn the offense. Then he will take over his sophomore year. There is also Cole LaCrue and now Mabrey Mettauer. I don't remember a QB room like this before. A lot of competition and it should lead to quality QB play on the field.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Mordecai will be the starter this next season (2023). He may have to compete with Burkett and Evers. Evers is an incoming freshman. He will sit for a season and learn the offense. Then he will take over his sophomore year. There is also Cole LaCrue and now Mabrey Mettauer. I don't remember a QB room like this before. A lot of competition and it should lead to quality QB play on the field.
It's going to be an interesting battle.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's going to be an interesting battle.
Fickell has really done a lot, in very little time. Pretty incredible way to start his HC career at Wisconsin. I keep forgetting that he was an OSU guy and if there is one program that has always been able to recruit, it was OSU. Always seems that the Badgers have a decent tier of starters, not great, but solid. Beyond that, the guys just aren't all that ready to start. Then you look at the OSU program, their backups probably would win games against a lot of teams starters. Depth in Football is huge and when you can replace a few parts and not see a decrease in production, you are going to be pretty good.

The transfer portal has become a really big deal in college sports. A coach that doesn't do well navigating it, is going to have a hard time keeping up. Fickell gets an A for his portal work so far.

EDIT: Created a new thread to discuss the Transfer Portal and its impact on College sports. Would love to hear others thoughts on it.

Last edited:

Krabs

Reaction score

Members online

Latest posts