The New Look Badgers - 2023

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Former Badger TE's recently in the NFL: Jake Ferguson '22; Troy Fumagali '17 (recently cut from 49'ers PS); Lance Kendrick '11; Garrett Graham '10. Not as prolific as other positions, but still decent representation from a historically strong running game program.
There's a couple others I can think of too. Owen Daniels and Travis Beckum come to mind.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree that Fickell is a better coach than Leonhard. Leonhard's record as a DC is remarkable given the talent he had to deal with. Fickell did win a lot of games at Cinnci but most of those wins came against inferior competition. Fickell is the only guy to manage a losing season at Ohio State in the last 35 years when he coached the 2011 season. If the Packers are smart enough to lure Leonhard to Green Bay to replace Barry then the Badgers loss will be the Packers gain and the pill won't be so bitter to swallow.

Krabs

Reaction score
I disagree that Fickell is a better coach than Leonhard. Leonhard's record as a DC is remarkable given the talent he had to deal with. Fickell did win a lot of games at Cinnci but most of those wins came against inferior competition. Fickell is the only guy to manage a losing season at Ohio State in the last 35 years when he coached the 2011 season. If the Packers are smart enough to lure Leonhard to Green Bay to replace Barry then the Badgers loss will be the Packers gain and the pill won't be so bitter to swallow.
I don't think anyone is questioning Leonhard's ability to coach. I even said above that I wanted him as the coach. However, Fickell is a proven winner. Ohio St. fans were clambering for them to fire Day and hire Fickell. I don't think you can judge a coach by one interim year. He is a proven coach and a huge land for the Wisconsin program. I think the big difference isn't the X's and O's. It is going to be in recruiting.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is questioning Leonhard's ability to coach. I even said above that I wanted him as the coach. However, Fickell is a proven winner. Ohio St. fans were clambering for them to fire Day and hire Fickell. I don't think you can judge a coach by one interim year. He is a proven coach and a huge land for the Wisconsin program. I think the big difference isn't the X's and O's. It is going to be in recruiting.
With Leonhard, it isn't an x's ond o's situation as much as its his ability to improve performance and actually make guys better even when they have talent limitations. That's a rare trait and I think his ability to recruit wouldn't have been an issue. Letting Leonhard walk with his proven abilities doesn't make sense.

Krabs

Reaction score
With Leonhard, it isn't an x's ond o's situation as much as its his ability to improve performance and actually make guys better even when they have talent limitations. That's a rare trait and I think his ability to recruit wouldn't have been an issue. Letting Leonhard walk with his proven abilities doesn't make sense.
Leonhard was offered to stay by Fickell. He chose to leave, which I understand and respect. From my point of view, fans, and it seems especially WI fans, fall in love with the idea of tradition and staying in house. I really did want Leonhard as the next head coach and thought it was a no brainer. However, McIntosh explained in his press conference that they needed to move the football program in a different direction. A direction that will keep up with modern day football. I think if we are honest as fans that was not happening with Chryst and Leonhard's experience is all in house. This is a change from the same old, same old. I don't think either of us will change each other's mind on this. I personally think it was a homerun hire.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think his ability to recruit wouldn't have been an issue. Letting Leonhard walk with his proven abilities doesn't make sense.

Leonard was from the Alvarez tree. Defensively that is a good thing. Offensively... not so much. We are going to run the ball a bunch, throw to the TE and give our WRs a couple touches a game isn't going to excite much transfer or high school offensive talent to want to go to that style of offensive nowadays. If I was even a 4 star QB looking at the Big Ten, Wisconsin would be in the bottom. I think there is limited interest in Evers visiting WI if Leonard is present. I think they needed to go a different direction and it isn't a bad thing.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leonhard is much more than an Alverez protege. Its obvious, he learned quite a bit about defense in the NFL. I think highly regarded recruits would respond to a guy like Leonhard who had a great career in the NFL and knows what it takes to get there and thrive. Fickell went fron college ball right into assistant coaching and doesn't have the NFL pedigree like Leonhard. McIntosh wanted an Ohio State guy because that's who Wisconsin is chasing in the Big Ten. He's trying to import their formula for winning. While that has some merits, bypassing Leonhard means he picked an inferior choice in Fickell.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starting to think you are related to Jim Leonhard if not Jim himself.
No, I just think that the Badgers couldn't have done better than hiring Leonhard based upon his unbelievable record as a DC. I also really liked him as a player at WI and was pissed that TT could've had him for a 7th round draft pick and passed him up. Just as a punt returner, he would've been worth it.

Krabs

Reaction score
Leonhard is much more than an Alverez protege. Its obvious, he learned quite a bit about defense in the NFL. I think highly regarded recruits would respond to a guy like Leonhard who had a great career in the NFL and knows what it takes to get there and thrive. Fickell went fron college ball right into assistant coaching and doesn't have the NFL pedigree like Leonhard. McIntosh wanted an Ohio State guy because that's who Wisconsin is chasing in the Big Ten. He's trying to import their formula for winning. While that has some merits, bypassing Leonhard means he picked an inferior choice in Fickell.
No, I just think that the Badgers couldn't have done better than hiring Leonhard based upon his unbelievable record as a DC. I also really liked him as a player at WI and was pissed that TT could've had him for a 7th round draft pick and passed him up. Just as a punt returner, he would've been worth it.
Let's not make Leonhard out to more than he is here. I love the dude and would have been thrilled if he were the Badgers head coach. However, he was a solid journeyman in the NFL. He bounced around to 4 or 5 teams and played a lot due to injury. I'm not taking anything away from him. From walk on at WI to walk on in the NFL are major accomplishments. Again, it just seems you're making him out to be more than he is.

To say Fickell is an inferior coach is a stretch. Yes, it is a matter of opinion. Leonhard has only been a defensive coordinator. He's never been a head coach. In six season with Cincinnati, Fickell is 57-18 and is their winningest head coach in their history. It only took him six years, which tells you the state of the program before he got there. The dude can flat out coach and was clearly the better choice. Also, to say that it is rare in a coach to have the ability to improve players is just wrong. Lot's of coaches can do that. You don't think Fickell was improving the talent level of his players on the team? That's just an odd statement. Clearly player development is one of his major focuses. The first hire he made was his strength and conditioning coach.

They also didn't just let Leonhard walk. They saw the talent in him and tried to get him to stay. It was even reported for a time that he had made the decision to stay with the Badgers. He chose to leave and I don't blame him for it. It would have taken strong character to stay after being the interim and them being passed over. He stuck a lot in the program and the players loved him. As you mentioned, Fickell was interim himself at Ohio St. and then was passed over for Urban Meyer. He did stay on as defensive coordinator. It's actually a very similar situation. Point is, Leonhard made the decision to leave. I'm hopeful he will be the next defensive coordinator of the Packers.

Regardless, I know we are not going to agree on this one. There's no doubt I think Leonhard is a talented guy. I just think it's odd to say Fickell is an inferior coach looking at all he has done. I'm super stoked about this hiring. To me, it shows WI is actually dedicated to winning and realized that in order to keep up with the big boys you need one yourself. I think it is a home run hire. I love it. We will see what it amounts to.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they both would have been quality hires. Some variables between strengths and weaknesses, but both very much a quality hire. I don't think preferring one, makes the other the wrong choice.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fickell brings a new culture, and recruiting philosophy, to the Badgers. As much as I like Leonhard, and hail from his neck of the woods myself, I realize that his skills as a coach are excellent, but I'm not so positive on how much he could do recruiting, outside of the home territory.

What Fickell brings is a new direction, and new way of recruiting, and an eye for developing a high powered offense, that might possibly, in the future, challenge Ohio State and Michigan at times. Although constantly good, under Chryst, they never reached for the brass ring, always settling to be the bridesmaid to the power house. Fickell won't find that acceptable. He'll go all in, to make runs.

Fickell started things out well, by visiting in-state high schools, and coaches. He's showing he's investing in them, and their product, but he's going far beyond that, whcih Nick Evers shows. You don't pull kids out of the Oklahoma/Dallas area, unless you've got the chops to show a kid you're ready to invest in him, and he has a shot at reaching the next level in football. Obviously, Evers sees it, and has bought in.

Wisconsin has a small cadre of decent receivers, but we can expect some help coming through the portal, and in signings before next season. A lot of kids are going to want to join in, on this ride. We could see a couple of TEs as well, and as far as our running game, that's not going to skip a beat. It will be as potent as ever, and Nick's foot speed is going to create even more opportunities.

I saw this kid play twice in high school. Take my word for it. He is the real deal. His foot speed is going to leave a lot of Big 10 defenders in the dust.

On defense? I don't think we'll skip a beat to be honest. I think we have one of the better defensive coordinators, and their staff will be recruiting as heavily as they do on offense.

Enjoy the ride. It's going to be exciting. Count on it. You won't be disappointed.

Krabs

Reaction score
And there it is:

Not only do I think that Evers doesn’t visit UW if Leonhard or Chryst is the coach, no way they land him. This dude is legit!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And there it is:

Not only do I think that Evers doesn’t visit UW if Leonhard or Chryst is the coach, no way they land him. This dude is legit!
After watching him play in HS, I found out he has 4.5 speed. That was when he was still developing! He might have shaved that to 4.4 by now. At QB? That's a weapon. Especially when he can throw the ball 40 yards down field, with touch, despite being moving across the field. That's the dimension we've been missing. A QB who can make things happen, because they're elusive.

I honestly believe a lot of people are going to see some similar things to what we see with C.J. Stroud at OSU. He's gonna light it up. His first year might be a bit reserved, but after that? Bucky is going to be totally exhausted by the push ups!

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fickell v Leonhard was do we bring in the offensive guy and hope the defense stays up to par or stick with Leonhard and hope the offense comes up. Very early returns seem to suggest that Fickell's hire is impacting offensive recruiting.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fickell v Leonhard was do we bring in the offensive guy and hope the defense stays up to par or stick with Leonhard and hope the offense comes up. Very early returns seem to suggest that Fickell's hire is impacting offensive recruiting.
I read somewhere that Leonhard was considered as having had the #1 rated defense. Whether nation, or what, I don't know. I do think it could be nation. At the same time, our new defensive coordinator is ranked #6.

We may be giving a bit of ground on defense, but on offense, I think we're going from somewhere in the #120 range up to a top 15 to 20.

It all pretty much depends on recruiting. Tressel is a proven defensive coordinator. Get him the horses, and watch them perform. The same applies to the offense, where Longo is going to make it look like we're using an air raid offense, while still running as much as we have. We're going to see the ball more.

Here's the point. This new group is either going to knock it out of the park by bringing in the horses to carry the load, or the whole thing will fail miserably. But, based on Fickell, failure is not an option.

Krabs

Reaction score
There's been some negativity on the whole "4 star" signing because Mertz bombed. Mertz and Evers are not the same type of player. Mertz was the prototypical drop back passer. He did have a good arm and he was mobile enough. Problem was, he couldn't read a defense. It would not be shocking for me to see Mertz go on to be successful somewhere else. In saying that, Evers is an RPO guy with an arm. They will have the ability to use him much like Fields for OSU. Set aside the rankings of players. This guys is a gamer. Also, don't sleep on Burkett. He is similar in that mold and basically won the D1 state title for Franklin. There's some talent on the Badgers at QB. Something I didn't think I would be able to say.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a good breakdown of players committed to WI.

There are a few pretty good players in that group. A couple that are really sleepers. Luke and his staff are good at finding this kind of player, based on their Cincinnati history. There's promise on the horizon.

One thing about it. There's going to be more excitement surrounding Luke's first team than anything I've seen for quite some time.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know anything about signing days, commitments, etc., but I saw a couple of articles yesterday that Wisconsin had the third-from-the-bottom class. Any explanatory comments would be welcome.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know anything about signing days, commitments, etc., but I saw a couple of articles yesterday that Wisconsin had the third-from-the-bottom class. Any explanatory comments would be welcome.
You're correct. Based on the star system, the Badgers did not do well. But that's not really the case here. We're going into a new season, with a completely revamped offense, and have the RBs in house, who will fit right in. There's help coming in the QB area, and our WRs are going to be getting more action than they have in the past. They showed glimmers of skills this past year, but were hampered by either, or both, bad QB play and scheming. They should look pretty good in 2023.

The key is that they improved the QB position immensely.

On defense, we lost who was arguably the #1 DC in the nation. What did we get? The guy rated #6.

Additional gains. We now have a coaching staff that will reach out in recruiting, to all areas of the US. That's shown by the guys coming in from Arizona, Texas, Ohio, Florida, Georgia, and several other states. It's difficult recruiting in those states, and they have hooks in.

What's missing in the star rating system is the word "fit." A 3 star player plugged into a system that they fit can become the best they can be, and that could actually be the equivalent of a 5 star athlete, under the right circumstances. We see that with Badger TEs, LBs, and RBs, all the time. Nearly as often is the OL. These guys are all over in the NFL.

The culture in Madison had to change. They were stagnant, and they were recruiting low lying fruit, within an 8 hour drive of Madison, and got lucky once in a while outside that area. Nothing was invested in spreading out. The fact that we were called RB U made it easy to get guys who could run the football. Now we're going to get them that can run the ball, others who can catch it, and even guys who can throw the darned thing in anger. We're going to see them develop more along the lines of what we see from the OSU offense, which has always driven the Badgers defenses crazy, no how good they are.

Excitement coming from change. It's going to be an interesting ride.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Conspicuously missing were DL's and only 1 OL. Hopefully there's enough talent already there to excel for a year & then '24 class add some blue-chipper linemen?

Krabs

Reaction score
You're correct. Based on the star system, the Badgers did not do well. But that's not really the case here. We're going into a new season, with a completely revamped offense, and have the RBs in house, who will fit right in. There's help coming in the QB area, and our WRs are going to be getting more action than they have in the past. They showed glimmers of skills this past year, but were hampered by either, or both, bad QB play and scheming. They should look pretty good in 2023.

The key is that they improved the QB position immensely.

On defense, we lost who was arguably the #1 DC in the nation. What did we get? The guy rated #6.

Additional gains. We now have a coaching staff that will reach out in recruiting, to all areas of the US. That's shown by the guys coming in from Arizona, Texas, Ohio, Florida, Georgia, and several other states. It's difficult recruiting in those states, and they have hooks in.

What's missing in the star rating system is the word "fit." A 3 star player plugged into a system that they fit can become the best they can be, and that could actually be the equivalent of a 5 star athlete, under the right circumstances. We see that with Badger TEs, LBs, and RBs, all the time. Nearly as often is the OL. These guys are all over in the NFL.

The culture in Madison had to change. They were stagnant, and they were recruiting low lying fruit, within an 8 hour drive of Madison, and got lucky once in a while outside that area. Nothing was invested in spreading out. The fact that we were called RB U made it easy to get guys who could run the football. Now we're going to get them that can run the ball, others who can catch it, and even guys who can throw the darned thing in anger. We're going to see them develop more along the lines of what we see from the OSU offense, which has always driven the Badgers defenses crazy, no how good they are.

Excitement coming from change. It's going to be an interesting ride.
Really can't be said better than what @Voyageur said.
I'm just going to add to it a bit. The Chryst regime, as stated, was not getting the higher level players. They were settling for guys and sometimes that did work out. The OL play has trended down over the last few years and lining up in the I and powering the ball down teams throats wasn't working anymore. Fickell had to come in and go get some guys right away. It's really hard to pick up and recruit guys in your first year due to focusing on a different program. WI right now only has 14 guys committed and in comparison MN has 33 guys committed. You will see in the coming days a lot more guys committing to WI. Most of the delay is simply because of the coaching change. It will turn around yet this off season and will get even better in 2024 when Fickell has had the time to put in.