The New Look Badgers - 2023

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Didn't MLF offer Leonard the job but Jimmy turned it down?
I think MLF talked to Leonard about it & he said he wanted to stay in the college environment to put down some roots for his young family. That mindset may have changed, recently, however. ;)
Yet....MLF wants to imply that Barry's job isn't in jeopardy, a year later and after a even more lackluster defensive performance.

This tweet (if true) makes me think Leonhard thought he was going to be the next HC for the Badgers and if he was that jilted, I think he goes elsewhere to coach, even if Fickell offers him the UW DC job.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leonhard was blindsided, or his "friends" were? There's a difference.

I think it's equally likely he stays as DC in Madison as it is he leaves for the NFL.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leonhard has yet to make any public statements. That in itself seems to indicate he was blindsided. He shouldn't have been blamed for the loses caused by Mertz that include the Iowa an Minnesota games. Most interim coaches rarely get hired because they take over a dumpster fire and get burned as a result. I hope he's quiet because he's getting called by Gute. If he really was blindsided, then it's doubtful he'll coach anytime soon in Madison until Macintosh is gone.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leonhard has yet to make any public statements. That in itself seems to indicate he was blindsided. He shouldn't have been blamed for the loses caused by Mertz that include the Iowa an Minnesota games. Most interim coaches rarely get hired because they take over a dumpster fire and get burned as a result. I hope he's quiet because he's getting called by Gute. If he really was blindsided, then it's doubtful he'll coach anytime soon in Madison until Macintosh is gone.
If GB is interested in Leonard for 2023 wouldn't the call come from MLF?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If GB is interested in Leonard for 2023 wouldn't the call come from MLF?
That would be my assumption as well. MLF may talk things over with Gute and Ball, in the way of salaries, but I think the assistant coaches are MLF's hires.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He is staying with the badgers.
Saw that. Speculation is he will stay on as DC, but that bodes the question of what happens to Mike Tressel who came with Fickell to the UW from Cincy. Tressel was Cincy's defensive coordinator in 2021 and 2022 and in his first year, his defense ranked 5th nationally in scoring defense and No. 10 in total defense. Cincinnati finished 24th in total defense this season despite losing six players from last year's group to the NFL. Co-coordinators.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Leonhard has decided to leave the Badgers. Did he get a call from MLF and he is just clearing his calendar for after the Badgers and Packers seasons are officially over? Stay Tuned....

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leonhard has decided to leave the Badgers. Did he get a call from MLF and he is just clearing his calendar for after the Badgers and Packers seasons are officially over? Stay Tuned....
...or is he in talks with Louisville (former coach now in Cincinnati) or Stanford? Would think either could be a 5 or 6 year deal worth $15-$25 @ Louisville or up to $30Mil at Stanford & he could put down roots for his family.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's looking for stability in opportunity rather than just opportunity. Which is why I thought he might stay at UW. I was wrong about that I guess. I still don't think he'd suddenly be any more open to coaching GB's defense next year than he was last year. Probably less so, as this team is much closer to a team in transition than one with a solid roster built for winning for a long time. That leads to FO changes and another move very often. Something he's not looking for.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
...or is he in talks with Louisville (former coach now in Cincinnati) or Stanford? Would think either could be a 5 or 6 year deal worth $15-$25 @ Louisville or up to $30Mil at Stanford & he could put down roots for his family.
Could be. I think my projection of him coming to GB is more my own personal wish, than reality. Leonhard may very well just want to stay at the college level and if a HC job is offered to him, in a place he wants to be, he may snap it up. He now has somewhat of a taste of the HCing duties at the college level, so he should have a good idea if it is something he wants to pursue.

Since Chryst's firing, The Badgers have lost quite a few current players and commitments. Fickell's first few years will be interesting, as he establishes himself and sends the program in a completely new direction. No personal ties to the school, Barry Alvarez or Wisconsin in general. Hopefully, some of the players that played at Cincinnati or were recruited by them, will decide to follow him here. I'm pretty excited for a fresh start and no Bobby Engram, Joe Randolph or Paul Chryst, running the stale and predictable offense that the Badgers became known for. What I am concerned with, is the defense. Leonhard was able to get a lot out of the talent he had, I hope the next DC can do the same.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Heading into the '22 season Leonhard was the #1 ranked DC, and new UW DC Mike Tressel was ranked #6 per this site. https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...ive-coordinators-in-college-football-in-2022/

May not be too much of a drop-off in D?
We shall see. Dave Aranda really started the trend of taking average guys and turning them into a solid defense each year in Madison and the DC's since, have continued it. Hopefully, Tressel can do the same. The big key to the Badger's future success is recruiting. Something that I think Chryst did not excel at.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems the concerns about everyone jumping ship, everyone decommitting, no one coming and Fickell needing to pull bodies from the student section isn't happening. Some initial transfers/de-commits have reconsidered and he has pulled in a few Cinci decommits along to WI. At worst, the recruiting is shaping up to be a wash this year. Transfer portal TBD although, if they upgrade Mertz, it's a win.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of the transfers will likely happen after the season is over. The Badgers still have a meaningless pseudo bowl to play. The talent level in Madison is so poor, a lot of the players probably wouldn't be offered a scolarship position at another comparable program keeping a lid on some of the transfer action.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the players worth keeping, will be staying. Fickle is not a bad hire at all. yeah, they can be disappointed their guy didn't get hired, I am a little bit too, but I'm also excited by who they did hire. Once that initial reaction wears off and they think about it, I don't think too many are going anywhere.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
As was previously mentioned a bit, Fickell has got at least two players (WR, OL) to recommit to UW. He has also gotten at least two players to flip from Cincinnati to UW (S, CB). He also recently had in Evers from Oklahoma. I don't think Leonhard or Chryst would have even gotten him to come visit. He is a big time recruit and would change the outlook of the QB position at UW completely.

I know that a lot of Wisconsin fan loyalists wanted Leonhard and I did too. However, I'm ecstatic about the Fickell hiring. He is a big time land for the school and improvement is on the way.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that a lot of Wisconsin fan loyalists wanted Leonhard and I did too. However, I'm ecstatic about the Fickell hiring. He is a big time land for the school and improvement is on the way.
I agree completely, but disagree that you don't want others to be happy. Your post made me happy, so there.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agree. The Fickell hiring has the potential to fix what has been a weakness of the program far too long, quality recruiting. Leonhard appears to be a very good coach, but if he can only recruit well in the State of Wisconsin, that isn't going to advance the program. If Fickell can use the success that he had in Cincinnati, this program is in good hands.

One other relatively new area of NCAA football that he needs to be good at is the Transfer portal. I liken it to the NFL's Free Agency. There are now 2 time periods, covering 60 days, that a first time transfer player can immediately transfer to another school and not lose eligibility. Fickell may just be able to improve the current team through transfers this year.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Speaking of which, I just read that WI landed a 3 star TE named Tucker Ashcraft. He was committed to Colorado, but decommitted once Sanders came in. It's been a spell since the Badgers have had a quality TE. Not too long, but we used to churn that position out to the NFL in regularity. I think we will see an influx of talent.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of which, I just read that WI landed a 3 star TE named Tucker Ashcraft. He was committed to Colorado, but decommitted once Sanders came in. It's been a spell since the Badgers have had a quality TE. Not too long, but we used to churn that position out to the NFL in regularity. I think we will see an influx of talent.
Former Badger TE's recently in the NFL: Jake Ferguson '22; Troy Fumagali '17 (recently cut from 49'ers PS); Lance Kendrick '11; Garrett Graham '10. Not as prolific as other positions, but still decent representation from a historically strong running game program.

Members online