The Key for the Green Bay Packers at Outside Linebacker May Be Jayrone Elliott

Who will lead the Packers in sacks this coming season?

• Nick Perry

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • Clay Matthews

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Vince Biegel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jayrone Elliott

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Kyler Fackrell

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Elliott. He has been a good one for a long time. I hope he can put it all together with the extra playing time. I'm optimistic.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If we are counting on Elliott to be a big factor on defense, it's going to be a long year for that unit.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's scary is that I look at that list and none of those guys really show any hope of being game changers or much factors in games. If I'm other teams, none of those instill much fear

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I find scary as all heck is the top 2 guys on that list have proven they can't stay healthy for more than 3/4 of a season at best, the 3rd is already out with an injury, and Fackrell missed 1/4 of last season with injury as well.....Doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence in these guys to be productive when they are constantly injured, and not even on the field year in and year out.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still haunted by visions of Matthews pulling himself out of NFC championship game and standing on the sidelines flinging his hair around as the game slipped away.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do see him as a key rotational backup behind Perry! But the key to our OLB core will be CM3 and Perry both logging double digit sacks this season. But I honestly think all Elliott, Fackrell and even Biegel could contribute sacks for our defense to make this a solid unit.

Sky King

Reaction score
Elliott flashed early and had a sensational game against the Seahawks a couple of years ago. Other than for his STs play he has mostly been invisible as a pass rusher.

There was an article written about him in one of the papers a season or two back (can't remember which one) about how Elliott had bulked-up during an offseason. It doesn't seem to have done him much good as a pass rusher. If anything, he seems to have become less effective since.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Elliott flashed early and had a sensational game against the Seahawks a couple of years ago. Other than for his STs play he has mostly been invisible as a pass rusher.

There was an article written about him in one of the papers a season or two back (can't remember which one) about how Elliott had bulked-up during an offseason. It doesn't seem to have done him much good as a pass rusher. If anything, he seems to have become less effective since.

Disagree. He hasn't gotten many chances

D

Deleted member 6794

If we are counting on Elliott to be a big factor on defense, it's going to be a long year for that unit.

Elliott has shown flashes as a pass rusher over his time with the Packers but for some reason hasn't been able to make plays on a consistent basis.

What's scary is that I look at that list and none of those guys really show any hope of being game changers or much factors in games. If I'm other teams, none of those instill much fear

The Packers are fine with Perry and Matthews starting but most likely lack quality depth for the unit to perform at an adequate level all season long.

I do see him as a key rotational backup behind Perry! But the key to our OLB core will be CM3 and Perry both logging double digit sacks this season. But I honestly think all Elliott, Fackrell and even Biegel could contribute sacks for our defense to make this a solid unit.

While it's possble the backups contribute some sacks it's more important to put constant pressure on opposing quarterbacks. We'll have to wait and see if Elliott, Fackrell and Biegel are capable of achieving that.

In addition I'm worried about the deph chart not including another outside linebacker aside of Perry excelling in defending the run.01

I guess you're talking about this article:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp.../01/elliott-trying-bulk-up-his-game/87914808/

Unfortunately it didn't result in improved play by Elliott.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't even assume Elliot will easily make the team. If an udfa shows some promise, TT and MM love to go with the younger player. While Elliot has shown glimpses of productivity, he was an unfa for a reason. Sam Shields and Tramon Williams were huge anomalies. Counting on an udfa to play a key role like Gunter last year usually winds up with a lopsided loss when opposing coaches expose that player's weaknesses.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Elliot looked good early, faded later, was injured, in the dog house, or something and clearly was not seeing the field as much. He has another opportunity, we'll see what he does with it. I had higher aspirations after his rookie year than I do now though.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couldn't we say that about literally anyone? What are the chances he becomes the kind of guy you want leading your defense?
He doesn't have to lead our defense....

Elliott will have a much deeper dline in front of him this year. And another helpful tactic to get the olbs more sacks, we will have bigger ,more physical CBs to jam at the line, and take away those short routes... between the two, the dline will take the blockers, and the CBs and our great safety's will give the lbs more time to rush, and actually get to the passer....

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Elliott has shown flashes as a pass rusher over his time with the Packers but for some reason hasn't been able to make plays on a consistent basis.

The Packers are fine with Perry and Matthews starting but most likely lack quality depth for the unit to perform at an adequate level all season long.

While it's possble the backups contribute some sacks it's more important to put constant pressure on opposing quarterbacks. We'll have to wait and see if Elliott, Fackrell and Biegel are capable of achieving that.

In addition I'm worried about the deph chart not including another outside linebacker aside of Perry excelling in defending the run.01

I guess you're talking about this article:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp.../01/elliott-trying-bulk-up-his-game/87914808/

Unfortunately it didn't result in improved play by Elliott.

Our dline depth, and the 2 man front is why the olbs can't get pressure...

I want to see Mathews rushing from ilb more, opening up guys like Elliott, fackrell, Ryan, and the safety's to come in untouched...

The 3 good dlineman and Perry will give the 5 olinemen trouble. That right there will open up the rest of the lbs.

D

Deleted member 6794

I want to see Mathews rushing from ilb more, opening up guys like Elliott, fackrell, Ryan, and the safety's to come in untouched...

The 3 good dlineman and Perry will give the 5 olinemen trouble. That right there will open up the rest of the lbs.

It's really not that tough to understand that a defense blitzing too often will get torched. It has been explained to you on numerous occasions. The Packers should target talented players to create constant pressure on opposing quarterbacks with only four pass rushers.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's really not that tough to understand that a defense blitzing too often will get torched. It has been explained to you on numerous occasions. The Packers should target talented players to create constant pressure on opposing quarterbacks with only four pass rushers.
It's not to hard to understand that even with peppers, Clay, and Perry, datone at olb, we couldn't get to the qb....and our defense was torched weekly for the last 3 years straight...

Maybe it's time you RE-evaluate your strategy? Because you insist the pressure comes from the olbs. But even with a hoard of high dollar olbs, we couldn't do squat.

My strategy isn't to blitz every down. But to bring 3 big powerful quick dlineman in more often. Let Perry play one on one. And then blitz from the other 3 lb positions and even the secondary, BECAUSE they are open to blitz without a blocker in front of them... like I said, if they hold a te back to block, you send Mathews up the gut. If they hold a rb back to block, you send a big fast olb around the other edge with a head of steam...

Blitzing doesn't work when you have two wore down dlineman up front, and the blitzers have to go through a guard or tackle before they get pressure...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also. I agree that certain oline, and offenses in general will still be able to block our rushers, even rushing 5. Certain qbs will be able to beat the more aggressive strategy...

That's when we fall back and play the bend but don't break style we all have become accustomed to... but still with 3 good dlineman and Perry getting push up front, we won't have to fill the field with dimebacks in hopes of creating turnovers, to balance out the *** whooping the defense is taking every down...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He doesn't have to lead our defense....

Elliott will have a much deeper dline in front of him this year. And another helpful tactic to get the olbs more sacks, we will have bigger ,more physical CBs to jam at the line, and take away those short routes... between the two, the dline will take the blockers, and the CBs and our great safety's will give the lbs more time to rush, and actually get to the passer....

Well this thread is about him being the key of the defense and asking who will lead the team in sacks no?

If Elliott can continue to hold it down on special teams and contribute some pressure and a few sacks as a rotational player on defense, I think that's a huge win. If we're expecting more than that we are likely going to be disappointed.

Members online

Latest posts