Will the Packers re-sign Nick Perry this off season?

• Yes

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
JLW_51

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They need to give this whole ugly pig defense a makeover and it starts with getting guys that can make plays on the opponents side of scrimage and that can play in space.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Would love to see Red**** play for the Packers, had a great Senior Bowl.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Ingram was tagged, so he isn't going anywhere. Will be interesting, the top 2 3-4 OLBs in free agency were tagged, the next one, Perry, might get a lot of money from another team.

I've been watching and worrying about that too. The only good news, the teams signing their own, probably won't be competing for Perry. While the supply and demand of OLB's probably stays the same, Perry slowly moves up to the top of the list for those teams still needing one.

OP
OP
JLW_51

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been watching and worrying about that too. The only good news, the teams signing their own, probably won't be competing for Perry. While the supply and demand of OLB's probably stays the same, Perry slowly moves up to the top of the list for those teams still needing one.
I think there is a very good chance the Packers lose him. He seems like a better fit at a DE in a 4-3 and give him credit, he bet on himself signing a one year deal last year and it is going to pay off in a big way. It would be a big loss for the Pack, but might force Thompson to finally do something in FA.

D

Deleted member 6794

Unfortunately it's a distinct possibility that the top edge rushers having been tagged results in Perry pricing himself out of Green Bay.

It would be a big loss for the Pack, but might force Thompson to finally do something in FA.

Perry is most likely the best edge rusher available therefore I would prefer Thompson to re-sign him and add another pass rusher in free agency. In my opinion the bleak situation at cornerback alone should force him to finalky be active in FA but I'm not convinced he will be though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Unfortunately it's a distinct possibility that the top edge rushers having been tagged results in Perry pricing himself out of Green Bay.

Yup, supply and demand economics. If there were "10 teams at the end of 2016 seriously in need of edger rushers" and only 5 top possible FA edge rushers, if 3 of those teams signed 3 of their own off that list, it leaves 7 teams bidding on 2 guys." Perry's demand and price will most likely be greater than what TT will pay.

As much as I would like to see Perry back, I don't want to see TT overspend on a long term contract. I think there are enough question marks on Perry to commit too much money.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that is the one thing about Perry possibly getting a big payday, that I don't get. Yes, he had 11 sacks last season, but all the previous years he did not. Often injured and not able to get it done.

Surprising but not shocking that teams would bet big $ that he will move forward with minimal injuries and a large # of sacks.

D

Deleted member 6794

As much as I would like to see Perry back, I don't want to see TT overspend on a long term contract. I think there are enough question marks on Perry to commit too much money.

I don't want the Packers to overpay for Perry either but unfortunately if they let him walk away in free agency the pickings at the position are extremely thin to compensate for his loss.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't really have a lot of "in house" options to take over for him though

Datone Jones? LOL.. Is he a DE or OLB? He's a bust to me

Fackrell I think could be ok

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that is the one thing about Perry possibly getting a big payday, that I don't get. Yes, he had 11 sacks last season, but all the previous years he did not. Often injured and not able to get it done.

Surprising but not shocking that teams would bet big $ that he will move forward with minimal injuries and a large # of sacks.

a lot of the injuries were honestly bad luck though if you go back and recall on them...

Nah Perry likely won't ever get 11+ sacks going forward.

But he WILL "most likely" be an 8-10 sack guy who is good against the run

D

Deleted member 6794

the only possibility would have been Ingram before the tag

Chandler Jones and Jason Pierre-Paul would have been possibilities as well but as all of them were tagged it doesn't matter anymore.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The more I look at this FA group and Perry's place on it, the more I think he could end up getting something comparable to Vernon from last offseason (17/season). I think he might be gone.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The more I look at this FA group and Perry's place on it, the more I think he could end up getting something comparable to Vernon from last offseason (17/season). I think he might be gone.

I agree. I think there will be a few teams looking only at what Perry did last year and over paying him because of that, as well as a very limited supply of FA's like him. While I like Perry, his first 4 years in GB stick in my head too much to want to see the Packers get into a bidding war for him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree. I think there will be a few teams looking only at what Perry did last year and over paying him because of that, as well as a very limited supply of FA's like him. While I like Perry, his first 4 years in GB stick in my head too much to want to see the Packers get into a bidding war for him.

When I see people talking about bringing Perry back for ~8M/season, it partially explains why there are some unrealistic expectations regarding what we can/should do in FA.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
When I see people talking about bringing Perry back for ~8M/season, it partially explains why there are some unrealistic expectations regarding what we can/should do in FA.

Agreed, while I am not going to pretend to know what Perry will eventually get, my best guess it will be well over $8M/year, with a lot of guaranteed money. That guaranteed part would be my concern with a player that has really only had 1 year out of 5 where is has played at a high level. Ultimately, this is where you put your faith in the Packers coaches and their opinions of Perry and his current value to the Packers. Signing someone like him just because you are "desperate" for an OLB that "should" produce like Perry did last year is why you see many of these guys getting dumped a few years after their first FA signing.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Agreed, while I am not going to pretend to know what Perry will eventually get, my best guess it will be well over $8M/year, with a lot of guaranteed money. That guaranteed part would be my concern with a player that has really only had 1 year out of 5 where is has played at a high level. Ultimately, this is where you put your faith in the Packers coaches and their opinions of Perry and his current value to the Packers. Signing someone like him just because you are "desperate" for an OLB that "should" produce like Perry did last year is why you see many of these guys getting dumped a few years after their first FA signing.

I just try and look at comparable players.

Vernon was in a 4-3, but he had 7.5 sacks in 2015 and played great run defense.

Perry had fewer total pressures, but more sacks while also playing well against the run. He's been in a 3-4 but could easily switch to a 4-3 (and might be better there).

Vernon had more of a track record, but there is more money out there and fewer good optione to target with it.

Vernon's deal was 5/85. The guarantees have been reported anywhere from 40-52.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Vernon like numbers for Perry would be crazy. If that even comes close to happening, I hope it's done by The Lions, Vikings, Bears, Falcons or Cowboys.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Vernon like numbers for Perry would be crazy. If that even comes close to happening, I hope it's done by The Lions, Vikings, Bears, Falcons or Cowboys.

I thought Vernon like numbers for Vernon were crazy.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I believe the Packers should re-sign Perry there's absolutely no way they should think about offering him anywhere close to $17 million a season.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While I believe the Packers should re-sign Perry there's absolutely no way they should think about offering him anywhere close to $17 million a season.

Now all that remains is to see if he will actually garner that kind of offer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts