The Jordan Love Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not trying to shut this thread down, but everyone is right & everyone is wrong. There's not nearly enough info. & tape to make a hard decision whether he's the 3rd in a row HOF'er or whether he washes out and is a regular joe working-stiff using his Movement Science degree in 3 years. Gute & MLF hopefully have a better idea after watching him practice over the last 2 years, but I certainly am not willing to make the decision to cut/trade him or trade AR at this time.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not trying to shut this thread down, but everyone is right & everyone is wrong.
While that is true, you are wrong.

J/k

Too early to call him a bust, but the play time he has had I expected him to be further ahead. Drew Brees struggled his first few years such that San Diego drafted his replacement. Favre was so up and down when he became a free agent, only NO expressed an interest. The offer wasn't compelling enough and he resigned with the Packers.

Plenty of time for him to settle in - but he hasn't shown enough for me to want to hand over the reigns.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not trying to shut this thread down, but everyone is right & everyone is wrong. There's not nearly enough info. & tape to make a hard decision whether he's the 3rd in a row HOF'er or whether he washes out and is a regular joe working-stiff using his Movement Science degree in 3 years. Gute & MLF hopefully have a better idea after watching him practice over the last 2 years, but I certainly am not willing to make the decision to cut/trade him or trade AR at this time.
Most definitely agree that Love has a long way to go before he can be fairly evaluated. Whether he gets that chance in GB, will totally be up to Rodgers and fate. I can't think of an NFL QB that looked like a FHOF QB after one NFL start (finding out on Wed. b4 game) and a 2nd half of a game playing with backups.

To be clear, I didn't like the pick whatsoever when it was made, I understood it, just didn't like it. However, I'm still going to wait on evaluating Love and the pick, until it completely plays out as much as it can in Green Bay.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I get what you guys are saying, but it also sounds like someone is trying a bit too hard to not give Love credit for being a part of a successful play, that he played an important role in.
I can't speak for the captain, but I'm moreso trying to keep things in perspective. I'm not deducting points for the screen play, but I'm not giving additional points either for a simple toss to the back. That should be a fundamental expectation with any halfway decent quarterback in this league.

As it relates to YAC in general, of course it's different with Rodgers because we have a body of work that now expands to well over a decade of stellar play and the ability to make every throw. With Love, you can't just look at his numbers on the surface and get an accurate gauge of the way he played.

When two of your passes for chunk yardage went for 26 and 62 yards respectively, and they were both screen plays, you have to at least be able to objectively sit back and say that those plays present no indication of him displaying the ability to be a starter in the NFL. Yes, it's nice to see him execute the play call that MLF sent in, but those are as elementary as it gets. I'm not going to do cartwheels over that.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't speak for the captain, but I'm moreso trying to keep things in perspective. I'm not deducting points for the screen play, but I'm not giving additional points either for a simple toss to the back. That should be a fundamental expectation with any halfway decent quarterback in this league.

As it relates to YAC in general, of course it's different with Rodgers because we have a body of work that now expands to well over a decade of stellar play and the ability to make every throw. With Love, you can't just look at his numbers on the surface and get an accurate gauge of the way he played.

When two of your passes for chunk yardage went for 26 and 62 yards respectively, and they were both screen plays, you have to at least be able to objectively sit back and say that those plays present no indication of him displaying the ability to be a starter in the NFL. Yes, it's nice to see him execute the play call that MLF sent in, but those are as elementary as it gets. I'm not going to do cartwheels over that.
Love executed the play perfectly. The entire team executed it perfectly. Love should be commended.

He executed exceptionally well on the dropped TD pass and should be commended as well. The WR didn't execute well. I didn't see posters trying to add a TD and yardage from that play to his totals. It all balances out in the end.

The Packers are #2 in YAC in the NFL. Rodger's stats benefits greatly from it and so did Love.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Love executed the play perfectly. The entire team executed it perfectly. Love should be commended.

He executed exceptionally well on the dropped TD pass and should be commended as well. The WR didn't execute well. I didn't see posters trying to add a TD and yardage from that play to his totals. It all balances out in the end.

The Packers are #2 in YAC in the NFL. Rodger's stats benefits greatly from it and so did Love.
If you can't differentiate the thought that Rodgers has zero to prove in regards to his ability to make every play on the field then I'm not sure what else I can do to help you. For the record, I don't do cartwheels for Rodgers on those plays either.

Yes, Love executed the play. Not saying it's a negative in any way. All I'm saying is that it gives me not even the slightest bit of additional confidence in him being able to be the eventual successor in Green Bay.

If we're going to go over the top in commending him for things as simple as executing a screen play at the LOS, then our standards are way off base from what they should be.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Love executed the play. Not saying it's a negative in any way. All I'm saying is that it gives me not even the slightest bit of additional confidence in him being able to be the eventual successor in Green Bay.
I agree with this completely.

If we're going to go over the top in commending him for things as simple as executing a screen play at the LOS, then our standards are way off base from what they should be.
It is not as simple as it seems. Timing is critical and difficult. There are multiple scenarios based on the defense alignment and reaction. He made a good play.

Reaction score
108 of Love's pass 134 passing yards against the Lions came after the catch. If you want to give him credit for it be my guest but I don't see any reason for it.
That would be like saying an OL blocker Doesn’t get credit for a 2 yard hole he opens up for a RB!
It’s getting crazier by the minute! :laugh:

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers doesn't come back to the team then give Love his shot, we must have seen something we like about him or we wouldn't have drafted him #1. Throw him the deep end and let's see what he can do..
For sure you give Love his chance. Next year is year 3 so you need to determine if he’s worth his option or not. Either he is good and you except use that option or he stinks and you end up with an early pick where we can give a new GM a swing at the QB position.

I wouldn’t Bears this thing and give the same GM who failed twice (maybe 3 or 4 times if you consider Kizer a flop and the rumor that Gutey wanted Drew Lock) at evaluating QBs a 3rd swing.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For sure you give Love his chance. Next year is year 3 so you need to determine if he’s worth his option or not. Either he is good and you except use that option or he stinks and you end up with an early pick where we can give a new GM a swing at the QB position.

I wouldn’t Bears this thing and give the same GM who failed twice (maybe 3 or 4 times if you consider Kizer a flop and the rumor that Gutey wanted Drew Lock) at evaluating QBs a 3rd swing.
So to condense your point, if Love doesn't blossom you fire the Gute.

Just wow. Wow.

I can only conclude you are likely a Bears or a Viking fan.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Who were the 2 failures? If Love does stink I will give you that one but who was the second? Boyle? :rolleyes: he was an undrafted FA signing. You are going to count him against Gute? I also can't figure out why on earth you would count Kizer against him. Sure he traded for him but he traded a guy we were probably going to cut anyway for a guy that nobody really knew. Even though Kizer didn't pan out that's the kind of move a GM should be making. Don't even get me started on you counting it against him for being rumored to have wanted Lock.

Where are you getting the early pick? are you assuming the Packers will have a poor record or are you anticipating an early pick for Love because that ain't happening. If he is not good enough to be the Packers QB going forward nobody else is giving up a high pick for him.

So you think if Love is a flop next season Gute should be fired. That's just ridiculous. He has one legitimate attempt at securing the Packers QB of the future in Love. Kizer was not a legitimate attempt it was a poke and hope and I doubt Boyle was ever really considered more than a potential backup. The guy has built a team that was in the NFCC game two years in a row and one game away from a third trip and you want him fired because he missed on one QB. Gute wouldn't be out of a job for a day if the Packers fired him.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just to be clear, Gute had nothing to do with drafting Kizer, that was a Cleveland mistake. Gute got rid of a failed first round pick of TT's, Damarious Randall, in the trade for Kizer. At the time the move made a lot of sense, the Packers knew Randall was a dead end, Kizer had showed some promise in Cleveland. Both guys seem to be done in the NFL at the moment.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who were the 2 failures? If Love does stink I will give you that one but who was the second? Boyle? :rolleyes: he was an undrafted FA signing. You are going to count him against Gute? I also can't figure out why on earth you would count Kizer against him. Sure he traded for him but he traded a guy we were probably going to cut anyway for a guy that nobody really knew. Even though Kizer didn't pan out that's the kind of move a GM should be making. Don't even get me started on you counting it against him for being rumored to have wanted Lock.

Where are you getting the early pick? are you assuming the Packers will have a poor record or are you anticipating an early pick for Love because that ain't happening. If he is not good enough to be the Packers QB going forward nobody else is giving up a high pick for him.

So you think if Love is a flop next season Gute should be fired. That's just ridiculous. He has one legitimate attempt at securing the Packers QB of the future in Love. Kizer was not a legitimate attempt it was a poke and hope and I doubt Boyle was ever really considered more than a potential backup. The guy has built a team that was in the NFCC game two years in a row and one game away from a third trip and you want him fired because he missed on one QB. Gute wouldn't be out of a job for a day if the Packers fired him.
Rodgers was the other failure because he believed Rodgers was done and we all know how that turned out. Rodgers made Gute look like an absolute fool.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers made Gute look like an absolute fool.

Rodgers certainly did make Gute look like a fool...imagine if he had, had confidence in Rodgers "bouncing back" and done what it took to trade up for justin jefferson

Theyd give us the championship and not bother even playing the games

He’s built a good team here, you should recognize that

And gute certainly has built a good team...its time to win a SB and all will be forgiven

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers certainly did make Gute like a fool...imagine if he had, had confidence in Rodgers "bouncing back" and done what it took to trade up for justin jefferson
I remember there being a lot of people on this forum who were certain that Jefferson was a for sure bust. At least never in the 1st round.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Gute could have traded way up and got a sure fire WR in Henry Ruggs or stayed pat and gotten super bust OT Isaiah Wilson. We could play name the picks we should/shouldn't have all night.

Reaction score
I remember there being a lot of people on this forum who were certain that Jefferson was a for sure bust. At least never in the 1st round.
The only thing I remember is thinking Jefferson might slide later in round 1 where we could either select him with our natural pick or trade up a couple selections into that top
26-28 range. Everyone knew he was talented, no one expected him to put up over 3000+ yards in his first 2 seasons.
That’s just ridiculous production

Jefferson was a selection we saw on several mock draft boards going to GB. Unfortunately not even pick #26 (Love) was enough draft capital.
MN saw his potential and they were just bad enough the year prior to land him. :whistling:

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Gute could have traded way up and got a sure fire WR in Henry Ruggs or stayed pat and gotten super bust OT Isaiah Wilson. We could play name the picks we should/shouldn't have all night.
The only thing I think we can all acknowledge is that drafting Love was the only selection that had a 100% chance of NOT contributing to winning a Super Bowl, assuming Rodgers wouldn't have gotten abducted by aliens.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The only thing I think we can all acknowledge is that drafting Love was the only selection that had a 100% chance of NOT contributing to winning a Super Bowl, assuming Rodgers wouldn't have gotten abducted by aliens.
Never know. Rodgers gets hurt early in 2020 season, Love is looking pretty good by week 9 and great by week16. Rodgers gets traded for 3 first and 2 2nd rounders and Love guides the Packers to a 20-0 Superbowl winning season in 2021.

Or....possibly it is just Love's current influence on the team....Rodgers decides to prove Gute wrong and takes his game up a notch or 2 and guides the Packers to a 16-4 season.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never know. Rodgers gets hurt early in 2020 season, Love is looking pretty good by week 9 and great by week16. Rodgers gets traded for 3 first and 2 2nd rounders and Love guides the Packers to a 20-0 Superbowl winning season in 2021.

Or....possibly it is just Love's current influence on the team....Rodgers decides to prove Gute wrong and takes his game up a notch or 2 and guides the Packers to a 16-4 season.
This is the typical response I get from the Gute defenders. Rodgers didnt up his game because of Love. Thats ********. Gutey didnt have the ability to self reflect on the team he built around Rodgers. First he left MM in charge and I defend MM the HC. As a playcaller and designer MM sucked. It made everything harder on Rodgers. On the other side of this Rodgers had a horrible supporting cast. As I said before Gute drafted 3 WRs and signed Graham and thought that was good enough to help Rodgers. History shows us Graham was such a failure he was cut 2 years into a very bad deal, 2 of those WRs drafted were cut before the end of their rookie deals and the other was MVS who is an average and inconsistent speed guy.

Fast forward to a competent play caller and designer and Rodgers is back to doing his thing. Not getting Jefferson is what it is. That was my guy but we had no shot. The Packers couldnt afford that high a leap in position. However that doesnt mean they couldnt draft Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman that would have been useful to the team.

Instead we traded up for a backup QB who was awful is final year in college.

D

Deleted member 6794

I understand your logic, I just don't agree with it when it comes to a full evaluation of a player. Had Love thrown that ball over Deguara's head, its an incompletion, no yards, that is a problem. Every play is drawn up to be successful, penalizing/not crediting the QB because it started behind the LOS and not 20 yards down the field?

I'm penalizing Love for completing the pass to Deguara at all but there's no reason to get excited about it when evaluating him just because it ended up being a 62-yard score.

I just think if you are going to evaluate a player in the way that you chose to with Love, its a slippery slope. Do you go through the tape and give him credit when a receiver doesn't finish his route and thus out of position for a catch? When a receiver drops a ball? Take away a 70 yard pass completion if it was a terrible throw that bounced off a defender and a spectacular catch by the receiver?

Now if you are a coach breaking down film, I get your point to some extent. However, in the end I want a QB that is making all the throws and correct decisions. Had Love passed up that short throw to Deguara and flung a ball 50 yards down the field to a receiver in double coverage, I don't care if its complete or not, he made the wrong decision.

Actually I try to evaluate Love's performance based on the tape and not by taking a look at his stats. While he had some good throws against the Lions I don't consider the one to Deguara as one of them. Overall he had more bad plays than good ones once again.

I get what you guys are saying, but it also sounds like someone is trying a bit too hard to not give Love credit for being a part of a successful play, that he played an important role in.

Let's be honest, Poker, both of us would have been able to complete that throw to Deguara.

I would be furious if one of my buddies wouldn't be able to complete that throw while drinking beers in the parking lot before a game. There's no reason to commend an NFL quarterback because of it.

It's true the throw to Davis was a much better pass than the one to Deguara. It should be considered when evaluating his performance against the Lions.

That would be like saying an OL blocker Doesn’t get credit for a 2 yard hole he opens up for a RB!
It’s getting crazier by the minute! :laugh:

Do you honestly believe Love deserves any credit for the play ending up in a 62-yard touchdown??? :rolleyes:

The trade deadline has long passed in week 16 of an NFL season ;)

Reaction score
Likely (hopefully not) directly. I still believe Love was a significant push in Aaron Rodgers performance over the last 2 seasons. One thing I’ve learned about #12 is that he is ultra competitive in many facets of his life. (Im sure Danica has some stories) :roflmao:Including perceived QB competition.
IF that’s true? (Obviously it’s hard to quantify that other than back to back MVP performance) It could’ve been the single best move from a personnel standpoint for a player that has barely seen the field.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Who ever has it in for Love will find every little thing wrong to prove their point.

Just like Gary. But now no one has anything to nit pick on him

And once again, the staff knows what they have in a player.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Likely (hopefully not) directly. I still believe Love was a significant push in Aaron Rodgers performance over the last 2 seasons. One thing I’ve learned about #12 is that he is ultra competitive in many facets of his life. (Im sure Danica has some stories) :roflmao:Including perceived QB competition.
IF that’s true? (Obviously it’s hard to quantify that other than back to back MVP performance) It could’ve been the single best move from a personnel standpoint for a player that has barely seen the field.
I am in your mindset that Love gave Rodgers a fire. Maybe subconsciously but it had an affect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts