The Jordan Love Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The good news with Love, he has 2 more years under his rookie contract to show what he can do. If AR is still with the Packers after the 2023 season and hasn't gotten injured, I doubt the Packers have enough information on Love to do much with, other than offer him a minimal contract. The good news with that situation, if the Packers don't know what he is capable of, I doubt any other team is going to know much either.
So if Rodgers is back next year and Love doesn't get a whole lot more playing time than he did this year do you pick up his 5th year option?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So if Rodgers is back next year and Love doesn't get a whole lot more playing time than he did this year do you pick up his 5th year option?
Hell no. Way too expensive and nobody is going to give him that kind of money without proving he's even close to being worth it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He’s playing on his reputation as being a dumb jock. He’s able to laugh at himself.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers was the other failure because he believed Rodgers was done and we all know how that turned out. Rodgers made Gute look like an absolute fool.
At times he has made himself look like a fool. At least he is equal opportunity.

D

Deleted member 6794

I get it though. He’s being compared to a “starting” 14 year veteran HOF QB and there is really no comparison. #12 is as near the mark of perfection as any team could hope for. He needs to be compared to #12 in year 1-2 coming off the bench. That’s still a high bar, but it’s fair to compare him to 2005 or 2006 Rodgers.

I definitely don't compare Love with Rodgers at this point in his career. I want him to show some promise to feel confident about him being able to develop into a decent starter at the pro level though. So far, he hasn't done that in limited action.

Then I point to Gute's record as a GM and they got nothing. 45-19-1, with 9 of those losses in his first season as GM and most of the season played by a backup QB that is no longer in the NFL.

Just for the record, Rodgers started every single game in 2018 during Gutekunst's first season as the team's general manager.

I don't think Packer fans have enough information to evaluate Love in either direction.

So while I agree with you that "Love defenders" may be trying to grasp onto things that truly haven't told us much, but I think its more of a reaction (for me) to people that are so quick to point out the negatives. I haven't seen anyone say "Love has proven that he is going to be great." More like "He hasn't proven a thing, but give the guy a fair chance to do so."

Unfortunately there are far more negative plays to point to than positive ones with Love so far. That doesn't mean he won't develop into a decent starter but the early returns aren't promising.

I personally don't find anything wrong with critiquing and evaluating Love, but do it under fair assumptions of where he is in his NFL career. For instance, his playing a half with backups against Detroit's starters, really isn't going to tell me much, but some wanted to use it as an "ah ha" moment.

Love producing way too many turnover worthy plays is concerning, even in limited action. Especially when considering he had that issue during his last season in college as well.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just for the record, Rodgers started every single game in 2018 during Gutekunst's first season as the team's general manager.
Thanks for correcting me, that was 2017 that he was out with the shoulder injury. 2018 was the year he hurt his knee early in the season against the Bears, but returned in the 2nd half and played the rest of the season with the injury.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember there being a lot of people on this forum who were certain that Jefferson was a for sure bust. At least never in the 1st round.

Really? Thats crazy I felt he was a sure first rounder, didnt think hed make to 29 or whatever it was but wanted the Packers to grab him.

And didnt think hed be this good this quick either but thought for sure hed be the next inine after davantae. Turns out hes already on davante level

Also wanted them to grab brandon aiyuk...

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the little that we have seen Love play so far I have no confidence this guy is the future for GB, and the reason.i say that is not because he throws INTs or generally lacks in pretty much every area but because I think he lacks confidence and that is one thing you can't teach anyone.

If I ware the GM I would look to trade him this off-season to anyone willing to give me a 3rd round or better Pic. Forget first. Alternatively sit him on the bench as #3 for couple years and work him hard and see if he makes any significant progress.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
From the little that we have seen Love play so far I have no confidence this guy is the future for GB, and the reason.i say that is not because he throws INTs or generally lacks in pretty much every area but because I think he lacks confidence and that is one thing you can't teach anyone.

If I ware the GM I would look to trade him this off-season to anyone willing to give me a 3rd round or better Pic. Forget first. Alternatively sit him on the bench as #3 for couple years and work him hard and see if he makes any significant progress.

Your post starts out 100% correct, but I don't understand how you start with a statement about having very little information and end with "trade for a 3rd rounder" or "sit him on the bench as #3......work him hard."

Sounds like you have come to a conclusion based on....very little knowledge.

You do realize that a #3 QB gets very little, if any work and doesn't even suit up on game day.

Were you around for Favre or Rodgers first game? How did they look?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the rest of your post… but to answer your last question. Yes. They looked much better than Love in my opinion. This has nothing to do with stats either. I watched both Favre and Rodgers in their debuts … they made mistakes, but both of them showed me those intangibles that are very hard to quantify that I haven’t seen with Love. That being said, I‘m open to being wrong and would be happy to be so.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Pokerbrat2000 already said much of what I was thinking as well.... @Packerbacker1996 you lead off with a statement that pretty much means no one can with certainty or much substance declare what Love is; good, bad, serviceable or anything of the like. Yet you then christen him of no value for our future....yet then expect a team to give up a 3rd rounder for him in exchange?

That is very confusing altogether for me.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your post starts out 100% correct, but I don't understand how you start with a statement about having very little information and end with "trade for a 3rd rounder" or "sit him on the bench as #3......work him hard."

Sounds like you have come to a conclusion based on....very little knowledge.

You do realize that a #3 QB gets very little, if any work and doesn't even suit up on game day.

I was but like I said I look at this guy and I don't see anything that would make me think he is the next Favre or Rodgers.
I don't like him and I think we should go in different direction.
Maybe I'm wrong time will tell.
I don't think anyone can say for certain at this time. It's just my gut felling and first impressions of this kid.

Reaction score
Brett Lorenzo Favre
I always liked to say Brett Intercepted his own Pass. We should’ve known we had a goofball right then n there

Brett threw 2 INT in his first 4 passes for a -22 adjusted yards per attempt. His first completion was a deflected pass to himself.
If you’ll notice, it wasn’t until his 4th season (3rd as a starter) that he turned the corner. In his first 3 seasons (2 as a starter) Brett recorded 37 TD and 39 INT.

It essentially took Brett 1,000+ attempts to start looking like his #33 overall draft capital was worth it.

Love has 62 pass attempts in his career.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong time will tell.
I don't think anyone can say for certain at this time. It's just my gut felling and first impressions of this kid.
I think the coaches may have a better idea than us the fans. I just don't see how fans have seen enough of Love in real game action to form a full opinion. The Chiefs game was the only game I would be willing to say "that is Love under normal starting conditions." Although, he didn't find out he was starting until the Wed. before the game. The half he played against the Lions. He played with mostly backups, against the Lions starters.

I'm not trying to say he looks great and he has nowhere to go but up, but I also recognize he still needs way more real game experience, before we as fans will know.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think this was the performance by Favre, when a lot of us said "omg...this guy has an arm".

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2005, 2006, 2007 seasons came and went and in every bit of action I saw from Aaron Rodgers I would have NEVER placed a bet expecting him to become what he has.

At present time I feel the exact same about Love personally. I don't envision a HOF career, I don't envision multi-year MVP awards. I feel very similar to Love as I did Rodgers - intrigued.

Reaction score
Yeah that was a lobbed softball…lol.
I know. It gets ya thinking about how these QB are often all over the map early in their careers.
I bet Trevor Lawrence is a Stud after a couple of seasons of starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts