The Jordan Love Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think hes the backup to Aaron Rodgers in 2022 and 2023....hell get traded for a relatively high pick before the 2024 draft
Define "relatively"

Your scenario assumes the Packers pick up his fifth year option which they will have to do after next season. If he doesn't show marked improvement as a backup in 2022 that could be a very expensive decision for an unproven (hopefully) backup. If they do not pick it up his contract will end after the 2023 season and he will be a free agent thus not tradeable before the 2024 draft.

Ask yourself, if Jordan Love does not show significant improvement in 2022 would you pick up his fifth year option?

Why would anyone give up a high round pick for him at this point?
it wouldn't be at this point it would be before the 2024 draft. He is going to have to make some significant progress for that to happen though.

Depends what’s a high round? 2nd? 3rd? The biggest Comp is a late 3rd so that could be considered high. I think he meant 2024

I just think you gotta give a college Junior QB prospect 2 full offseasons (minimum) before fully evaluating him. 2020 was a Covid Redshirt (virtual meetings, no preseason, no regular season reps). This is really his Rookie season to be fair.
Does anyone think he should be evaluated for 2020?
Since he did say relatively I'd consider a day 1 or 2 pick. I don't' think it would happen unless Love showed significant improvement in game situations over the next 2 years and to be honest, If Rodgers is our starter I hope Love doesn't get any more regular season playing time than he did this year. Lots of preseason chances though as I don't see Rodgers playing much if at all.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends what’s a high round? 2nd? 3rd? The biggest Comp is a late 3rd so that could be considered high. I think he meant 2024

I just think you gotta give a college Junior QB prospect 2 full offseasons (minimum) before fully evaluating him. 2020 was a Covid Redshirt (virtual meetings, no preseason, no regular season reps). This is really his Rookie season to be fair.
Does anyone think he should be evaluated for 2020?
I don’t disagree. I wouldn’t write him off, but at this point if I were another team’s GM I certainly wouldn’t be offering much for him at this point either… and if, as Thequick posted, He remains Rodgers’ backup for the next 2 years, I don‘t see his value having a chance to go up much.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think hes the backup to Aaron Rodgers in 2022 and 2023....hell get traded for a relatively high pick before the 2024 draft
Love is a UFA in '24 unless GB puts the 5th year option on him which will be a 1 year deal of (estimate) over $20mil. Doubt GB uses 5th year if AR is still going strong, and doubt any team would trade higher pick for him if he's not playing.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love is a UFA in '24 unless GB puts the 5th year option on him which will be a 1 year deal of (estimate) over $20mil. Doubt GB uses 5th year if AR is still going strong, and doubt any team would trade higher pick for him if he's not playing.

If Jordan Love at that point is an up and coming asset some team wants to makr their starter...i think the packers would absolutely exercise thr 5th year option and trade him...obviously thats the big if, if jordan love develops over these next 2 seasons watching the way a fhofer does it

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didnt say at this point, i said prior to the 2024 draft...
Why do you think anything would change if he is an unrestricted free agent…and no the Packers would not commit over 20 million dollars to a QB who has never been a starter anywhere.

D

Deleted member 6794

Do you give Love credit for a 1st down pass that touched his receivers 2 hands and was bobbled into the arms of a defender for a INT?
Will you give Love praise for the soft touch he put in a roll out that was dropped by his 4th string TE in the Endzone?
I know the answer. The mere fact that you’ve written him off after 1 road start and a partial game with a B team is telling. It doesn’t matter if he never played another game again, it speaks volumes when obvious novice fans write off the career of any player after less than 100 meaningful snaps simply because they didn’t agree with the selection by our GM.
Imo it makes you look more inexperienced at player development than Love looks as a QB, by a mile.
When anyone attempts to negate a players performance on a TD pass I’d 100% say being a bit critical is an understatement.

Just to be clear about it, I haven't written off Love by any means but I definitely would have liked him to perform at a better level than he has when gotten the chance though. I agree the pass to Davis in the end zone was a nice throw and should have been caught. But he deserves at least part of the blame for the first interception as well.

Are you giving Rodgers 2400 YAC credit as well for his 4600 yards passing on the season?

I fully understand that every quarterback benefits from receivers gaining yards after the catch. But those numbers mostly don't come anywhere close to exceeding 80% of the total passing yards.

There won't be any team signing Love to a deal that will result in the Packers receiving a third round compensatory pick in the 2024 offseason as long as he doesn't significantly improve over the next two seasons.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
108 of Love's pass 134 passing yards against the Lions came after the catch. If you want to give him credit for it be my guest but I don't see any reason for it.
Wait...what? Now we are deducting YAC from QB's totals? Is this a new PFF thing?

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do agree with Captain that it is still part of the eye test.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously the pass catchers ability to get yards after the catch is directly correlated to where the qb puts the ball...if he puts it out in front of the reciever and away from the defender leading him into space...well thats gonna be a lot easier for yac

Was Jordan Love doing that against the Lions?

I dont believe so...

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Obviously the pass catchers ability to get yards after the catch is directly correlated to where the qb puts the ball...if he puts it out in front of the reciever and away from the defender leading him into space...well thats gonna be a lot easier for yac

I dont believe so...
I think what happens after the catch is also directly related to a lot of other variables. The defense, the game time situation, down and distance, the receiver, etc. I just don't think anyone can say "well take away the YAC and that QB is now this".

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

I dont believe so...
Great point.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was and a little bit still am worried about Crosby. Early in the year my eye test told me even his makes were barely inside the left upright. He seems to be more center mass lately, which is a good thing.
I agree, but I also was reading/being told/eye test, that there were issues with the whole kick unit, not just Crosby. So I am also hopeful that it has been worked out. If Crosby was a rookie, I would be worried.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I was and a little bit still am worried about Crosby. Early in the year my eye test told me even his makes were barely inside the left upright. He seems to be more center mass lately, which is a good thing.
Maybe he needs a sponge bob net between the uprights.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he needs a sponge bob net between the uprights.
Agreed Poppa. Even after the debacle against the Bengals he was drifting left on most kicks. He is more on center now, and I’m guessing this has required an unnatural-feeling adjustment on his part. Again, I’m guessing.

But this leftward drift goes back a few years. Remember a few years ago he made a 50 yard FG against the Cowboys twice in a playoff game. Twice because Dallas called TO. He hit it booth times, both times just inside the left upright. He also nailed a 50 yarder to beat the Niners in week 3. UI don’t remember if that kick drifted left as well.

It might be a vision thing, but he’s awfully young for that. Well, whatever he’s done to adjust the last few games, stick with it. We’ve come this far with him. We need him more than ever.

Reaction score
Just to be clear about it, I haven't written off Love by any means but I definitely would have liked him to perform at a better level than he has when gotten the chance though. I agree the pass to Davis in the end zone was a nice throw and should have been caught. But he deserves at least part of the blame for the first interception as well.

I fully understand that every quarterback benefits from receivers gaining yards after the catch. But those numbers mostly don't come anywhere close to exceeding 80% of the total passing yards.

There won't be any team signing Love to a deal that will result in the Packers receiving a third round compensatory pick in the 2024 offseason as long as he doesn't significantly improve over the next two seasons.
No I didn’t mean Love world “earn” a compensatory selection. I was just debating what was his idea of a “high draft pick”. Some might say a high selection is a top 20 selection, the next person might be elated with trading for a top 100 selection.

Either way, I don’t think GB intends on giving up on Love without doing what they set out to do. Develop him
Id like to believe Love improves into his 2nd “full” season. I think people are being a little to hard a little too fast. Everyone needs to relax and trust the coaching staff a little more. All reports from his draft profile spoke to him needing time to develop. You can’t get a final grade on him in the middle of his first full season if that’s their early analysis.

My best guess is they kick the Love can down the road for 1 more full season. If you trade your primary backup QB you’ve got to replace him and train another one and there is an offset of resources. We’d be idiots not to bend over backwards to retain #12

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what happens after the catch is also directly related to a lot of other variables. The defense, the game time situation, down and distance, the receiver, etc. I just don't think anyone can say "well take away the YAC and that QB is now this".

No definitely not take away the yac from any qb but Im just saying I agree woth captain in saying all yac is not equal...

Had that pass to deguara been a slant beautifully placed to allow him to take off running right thru the defense thats a whole different thing than a screen

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Wait...what? Now we are deducting YAC from QB's totals? Is this a new PFF thing?

You need to put those numbers into perspective. If you want to feel better because Love throw a 62-yard touchdown pass to Deguara by my guest but you should realize that he completed the pass three yards behind the LOS and had nothing to do with the play ending up in a score.

In my opinion he had some better throws than on that play against the Lions but not enough to make me feel confident in him at this point.

Yet Crosby isn't? ;)

Once again, some perspective might help. Crosby has looked improved over the past few weeks but he hasn't made a field goal from more than 37 yards since before the bye week. That results in me not being overly confident in him when having to make a long field goal in the postseason.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You need to put those numbers into perspective. If you want to feel better because Love throw a 62-yard touchdown pass to Deguara by my guest but you should realize that he completed the pass three yards behind the LOS and had nothing to do with the play ending up in a score.

In my opinion he had some better throws than on that play against the Lions but not enough to make me feel confident in him at this point.
I understand your logic, I just don't agree with it when it comes to a full evaluation of a player. Had Love thrown that ball over Deguara's head, its an incompletion, no yards, that is a problem. Every play is drawn up to be successful, penalizing/not crediting the QB because it started behind the LOS and not 20 yards down the field?

I just think if you are going to evaluate a player in the way that you chose to with Love, its a slippery slope. Do you go through the tape and give him credit when a receiver doesn't finish his route and thus out of position for a catch? When a receiver drops a ball? Take away a 70 yard pass completion if it was a terrible throw that bounced off a defender and a spectacular catch by the receiver?

Now if you are a coach breaking down film, I get your point to some extent. However, in the end I want a QB that is making all the throws and correct decisions. Had Love passed up that short throw to Deguara and flung a ball 50 yards down the field to a receiver in double coverage, I don't care if its complete or not, he made the wrong decision.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I understand your logic, I just don't agree with it when it comes to a full evaluation of a player. Had Love thrown that ball over Deguara's head, its an incompletion, no yards, that is a problem. Every play is drawn up to be successful, penalizing/not crediting the QB because it started behind the LOS and not 20 yards down the field?

I just think if you are going to evaluate a player in the way that you chose to with Love, its a slippery slope. Do you go through the tape and give him credit when a receiver doesn't finish his route and thus out of position for a catch? When a receiver drops a ball? Take away a 70 yard pass completion if it was a terrible throw that bounced off a defender and a spectacular catch by the receiver?

Now if you are a coach breaking down film, I get your point to some extent. However, in the end I want a QB that is making all the throws and correct decisions. Had Love passed up that short throw to Deguara and flung a ball 50 yards down the field to a receiver in double coverage, I don't care if its complete or not, he made the wrong decision.
You're trying a little too hard here PB :D

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You're trying a little too hard here PB :D
I get what you guys are saying, but it also sounds like someone is trying a bit too hard to not give Love credit for being a part of a successful play, that he played an important role in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts