The Jordan Love Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If Brett "didn't retire" Rodgers would been a wasted pick
"But...but...but...it worked out and..."

Come on man, stop explaining things with common sense. Ted was an idiot for using that pick on Rodgers and that Wolf guy, wasting a first rounder to trade for that Hill Billy Brant Farva Bean?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Says who? Neither you or I, or the Austrian fellow know if Love can go 0for, undefeated, or somewhere in between as a injury replacement back up QB for the 2022 Green Bay Packers at this point in time.
What I've seen isn't promising. As far as "Says who?" that's just my opinion. I hope I'm wrong and I hope we don't get a chance to find out!

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta ask Joe, what have you seen at meetings and practices?
I think most people who are critical of Jordan Love, base their judgement upon his game performances. That would include last year and college. I doubt any player is evaluated by their meetings and practices very much in comparison to games, especially not be fans.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think most people who are critical of Jordan Love, base their judgement upon his game performances. That would include last year and college. I doubt any player is evaluated by their meetings and practices very much in comparison to games, especially not be fans.
Thanks Sanguine. I thought that was obvious. Apparently not. It's hard to have a meaningful exchange with Love's fans.

And maybe they're right and he's the next GB HOF QB. We might find out in a year or two.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spending an entire rookie contract on a player who doesn't play is a wasted pick. The goal with great players is that they help you win a Super Bowl and there were players available at that spot who would have helped the Packers the past two seasons (and this one). Love might become a very good quarterback but the Packers will have faced multiple seasons without a player who could have been the difference in one or two Super Bowl wins. I wish him well but there is no argument that he's done anything to help the team during his rookie contract. That's a wasted draft pick.
The important thing is where we are NOW. All the rest can sit with if, and, and buts.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spending an entire rookie contract on a player who doesn't play is a wasted pick. The goal with great players is that they help you win a Super Bowl and there were players available at that spot who would have helped the Packers the past two seasons (and this one). Love might become a very good quarterback but the Packers will have faced multiple seasons without a player who could have been the difference in one or two Super Bowl wins. I wish him well but there is no argument that he's done anything to help the team during his rookie contract. That's a wasted draft pick.
I think the distaste with the Love pick has more to do with who else could have been chosen. Higgins and Pittman were available at #30, and we keep the #4 pick. Maybe we wouldn't be wringing our hands over Adams' departure if one of those guys is going into his third year on the team.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Thanks Sanguine. I thought that was obvious. Apparently not. It's hard to have a meaningful exchange with Love's fans.

And maybe they're right and he's the next GB HOF QB. We might find out in a year or two.
I've never said that I was a Love fan, but I am a fan of facts and common sense. Those of you that have determined that Love is a bust and thus a wasted pick, are doing so with very limited knowledge.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never said that I was a Love fan, but I am a fan of facts and common sense. Those of you that have determined that Love is a bust and thus a wasted pick, are doing so with very limited knowledge.
He was clearly a wasted pick, and that's just my opinion. I never said he was a bust. We won't know that until he actually earns a starting QB job and gets some games on his resume. That might be in GB, it might be with another team, it might never happen. That part of the story hasn't been written yet.

And as for a wasted pick, that's pretty clear now. Rodgers has played some of his best football since Love was drafted. Gluten made a mistake and underestimated what Rodgers had left. He's human. It was a mistake.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He was clearly a wasted pick, and that's just my opinion. I never said he was a bust. We won't know that until he actually earns a starting QB job and gets some games on his resume. That might be in GB, it might be with another team, it might never happen. That part of the story hasn't been written yet.

And as for a wasted pick, that's pretty clear now. Rodgers has played some of his best football since Love was drafted. Gluten made a mistake and underestimated what Rodgers had left. He's human. It was a mistake.
Rodgers has played some of his best football since Love was drafted.

hmmmmmm

was it "really wasted"????

Reaction score
Spending an entire rookie contract on a player who doesn't play is a wasted pick.
I’m confused. Love is not done with his rookie contract. It’s 4+1 and he’s only had 2 seasons. 1 being virtual. Can you guarantee he will never get to play in GB or elsewhere?

Love might become a very good quarterback but the Packers will have faced multiple seasons without a player who could have been the difference in one or two Super Bowl wins.
Did Aaron Rodgers win a Super Bowl on a Rookie contract? The answer is NO (he was 6 years in and 3rd year as a starter! So.. that means you are holding Jordan Love to a more strict standard than Rodgers? Really? Love now has to exceed HOF status to win your approval?
Well there’s probably more than 50 QB’s every season who hold a clipboard. I’m guessing a good portion of teams have a backup QB #2 or #3 that will get very little play time, if any.

I wish him well but there is no argument that he's done anything to help the team during his rookie contract. That's a wasted draft pick.
I really don’t believe any of these are good examples of “wishing someone well”. I Call BS. and I know BS when I see it! Im near-expert level!

Trivia Question:
How many Rookie starting QB’s (that we’re drafted) have won a Super Bowl their first season?

In NFL history, no rookie quarterback has ever won a Super Bowl. In fact, no rookie quarterback has ever made the Super Bowl.

Rookie quarterbacks have made the AFC and NFC championship games but have not gone on to the Super Bowl. These include Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco and Mark Sanchez. NFL rookie QBs have a lowly .355 winning percentage in playoff games.

Last edited:
Reaction score

I thought I was being meaningful!

I’m not sure about HOF or even GB at this point as the probability severely narrowed when we gave Rodgers a new deal. It almost seems like we want our cake and to eat it too.
The anti-Love posters were adamant about resigning Rodgers (for good reason). Yet once Rodgers got resigned? they now attack Love for not being a major contributor! How the heck do you lose that argument! :roflmao:

Heads I win! Tails you lose Sucka!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about in 2020, when Love was picked?
No I think when he was drafted, at least what I was thinking, "OK Gluten jumped the gun, missed a chance for a WR, and we'll trade Love in a year or two." I never believed Rodgers was done. i never thought he'd get another MVP, much less two, but he is far from done.

Two plus years down the road, and Love has no trade value. Again, my opinion. In fairness, he hasn't had many chances - I think three starts. And he's been underwhelming. In pro sports, a player has to capitalize when chances present. If he had three great games, he might have trade value and be starting somewhere. Impossible to know.

I won't keep debating that he was a wasted pick. We could have had Higgins or Pittman instead and kept the 4th round pick. How valuable would one of those guys be now versus Love?

And it's fine to have different opinions on Love because his story isn't over. I think even his critics like me want the best for him. And that's still possible. Rodgers could be gone next year, right? He'd be given the chance to start. Then, it's up to him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought I was being meaningful!

I’m not sure about HOF or even GB at this point as the probability severely narrowed when we gave Rodgers a new deal. It almost seems like we want our cake and to eat it too.
The anti-Love posters were adamant about resigning Rodgers (for good reason). Yet once Rodgers got resigned? they now attack Love for not being a major contributor! How the heck do you lose that argument! :roflmao:

Heads I win! Tails you lose Sucka!
That's a good point. I'm not a fan of the pick. I don't know how good Love can be - he's had three chances to start and he underwhelmed. If he wants to start in the NFL, he has to make the most of these chances. Favre's starting streak was in part because he hated the thought of giving someone else the ball. Favre made good when Majkowski went down. Love's gotta do better, and the way Rodgers is playing, that may not be in GB.

It's unfortunate that this has devolved and there are other Love haters, or, sorry, Love lovers. That's not the case. I need to see him play much better, but I hope he succeeds. I doubt it will be in GB though. Too much baggage and he deserves a clean start.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spending an entire rookie contract on a player who doesn't play is a wasted pick.
I’m confused. Love is not done with his rookie contract. It’s 4+1 and he’s only had 2 seasons. 1 being virtual. Can you guarantee he will never get to play in GB or elsewhere?

Love might become a very good quarterback but the Packers will have faced multiple seasons without a player who could have been the difference in one or two Super Bowl wins.
Did Aaron Rodgers win a Super Bowl on a Rookie contract? The answer is NO (he was 6 years in and 3rd year as a starter! So.. that means you are holding Jordan Love to a more strict standard than Rodgers? Really? Love now has to exceed HOF status to win your approval?
Well there’s probably more than 50 QB’s every season who hold a clipboard. I’m guessing a good portion of teams have a backup QB #2 or #3 that will get very little play time, if any.

I wish him well but there is no argument that he's done anything to help the team during his rookie contract. That's a wasted draft pick.
I really don’t believe any of these are good examples of “wishing someone well”. I Call BS. and I know BS when I see it! Im near-expert level!

Trivia Question:
How many Rookie starting QB’s (that we’re drafted) have won a Super Bowl their first season?

In NFL history, no rookie quarterback has ever won a Super Bowl. In fact, no rookie quarterback has ever made the Super Bowl.

Rookie quarterbacks have made the AFC and NFC championship games but have not gone on to the Super Bowl. These include Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco and Mark Sanchez. NFL rookie QBs have a lowly .355 winning percentage in playoff games.
You're right OldSchool. Like Love or not, it's not right to talk about a guy in the past when he's still playing. That evaluation will come later (but I'm not holding my breath either).

The way I look at it is GB could have had Higgins or Pittman at #30 and kept the 4th round pick. They drafted Love and gave up the 4th round pick. Which decision would have been better for the team right now?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Trivia Question:

Do you honestly think Love is going to be a major contributor this season? Didn't think so.

The rest of this response simply confirms what I said, only in defending Love do people claim that a non-factor his entire rookie season was actually a good pick! It's like others have often said, Josh Rosen, Marcus Marriotta, Vince Young, and Matt Leinart were all great picks too!

Reaction score
Favre's starting streak was in part because he hated the thought of giving someone else the ball. Favre made good when Majkowski went down.
Actually that’s a terrible example. Favre through 39 INT compared to just 37 TD over his first 3 FULL seasons and actually gave someone else the ball more than he scored
So let’s at least wait until Love has thrown more INT than a HOF QB over his first 3 seasons. He only needs 35 more INT this season to surpass Favrey! :tup:
I doubt it will be in GB though. Too much baggage and he deserves a clean start.
That I agree with that. He’s in a weird environment. It’s like he’s had a curse on him from our fans day 1.

Although He’s had 1 Start. He was not a starter against the Lions. He played just 2 quarters in relief in a game where we were pulling starters (week 18) Hardly enough to make career prognostications. Although if you recall Love took the lead 30-27 with 4 min left. Was it his fault our Defense gave up a game winning drive ended by a gashing 14 yard Run?
The way I look at it is GB could have had Higgins or Pittman at #30 and kept the 4th round pick.
You might be surprised that I actually agree with you on these points. Provided of course that we honestly made that particular player selection BEFORE the 2020 draft started etc… (so were not using hindsight) otherwise I’d keep it to a position group, I can see that, I wanted Tee Higgins pre draft.

Using hindsight. Who made the worse selection the Packers or the Raiders? Just saying, things could be worse.
Do you honestly think Love is going to be a major contributor this season? Didn't think so.
Ok. However go back and look..,
you said “Rookie Contract” not “Rookie year”. Big difference. I’m referring to his contract is not over. It’s 4+1 seasons and at best you could argue 40% has played itself out. I’d argue less because of 1 season being virtual. zero live camp, zero preseason etc.. I think that’s only fair to call it a Redshirt season. Yet we’ve already (in general) been the jury, the judge and on to an execution before we’ve even attended Prelim’s

I’m ok with a critical evaluation, as long as it encompasses a fair evaluation. 1 full season is FAR from being “fair”

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn’t say that. You said “Rookie Contract” not “Rookie year”. Big difference. I’m referring to his contract is not over. It’s 4+1 seasons and at best you could argue 40% has played itself out. I’d argue less because of 1 season being virtual. zero live camp, zero preseason etc.. I think that’s only fair to call it a Redshirt season. Yet we’ve already (in general) been the jury, the judge and on to an execution before we’ve even attended Prelim’s

I’m ok with a critical evaluation, as long as it encompasses a fair evaluation. 1 full season is FAR from being “fair”

Ok, I didn't think it needed to be said that Jordan Love won't be starting over Rodgers this year or next; that's his rookie contract. The "+1" you refer to is usually reserved for players who have shown ability during their first four years in the league and that's not something Jordan Love has done. Again, I'm not DOWN on Jordan Love. I'm simply arguing that spending a first round pick on a player who likely won't contribute for at least 4 years is a wasted draft pick.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually that’s a terrible example. Favre through 39 INT compared to just 37 TD over his first 3 FULL seasons (no virtual seasons sI I’m counting Atlanta, etc..). He actually gave someone else the ball more than he scored!! True story!

That I agree with that. He’s in a weird environment. It’s like he’s had a curse on him from our fans day 1. We almost wanted him to fail because we wanted Rodgers to stay. That’s what I’m seeing anyway based in poor arguments to the contrary of why he’s such a terrible athlete. He’s had 1 Start. He was not a starter against the Lions. He played just 2 quarters. Hardly enough to make career prognostications

You might be surprised that I actually agree with you on these points. Provided of course that we honestly made that particular player selection BEFORE the 2020 draft started etc… (so were not using hindsight) otherwise I’d keep it to a position group, I can see that.

I didn’t say that. You said “Rookie Contract” not “Rookie year”. Big difference. I’m referring to his contract is not over. It’s 4+1 seasons and at best you could argue 40% has played itself out. I’d argue less because of 1 season being virtual. zero live camp, zero preseason etc.. I think that’s only fair to call it a Redshirt season. Yet we’ve already (in general) been the jury, the judge and on to an execution before we’ve even attended Prelim’s

Hey OldSchool, I'm not surprised that you agree with me on some things. And vice versa. As for Favre's lousy start, it wasn't bad enough (it was pretty bad) that they wanted to replace him, or they didn't think Majkowski was better, or there wasn't anyone better, or Wolf and Holmgren saw the potential. I'd be curious as to what the record was in those first three seasons under Favre. For his whole career, his TD/INT percentage was terrible. But he won a lot of games, and a SB in 97. But clearly, no one replaced him and he's in the HOF.

As far as I know, once Favre replaced an injured Majkowski, Favre didn't relinquish the starting job until he was traded to the Jets. So actually it's the only example of Favre taking a starting job and never letting go.

Oh and I thought Love had three starts. I was corrected. It's only been one. Must be the KC game last year. The guy deserves a chance somewhere, just not in GB where I think the deck is unfairly stacked against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts