The Jordan Love Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand why people thing this. I see Love being young and promising while Benkert is a guy who's been in training camps for a few years and thus knows how to look better against 2s and 3s.

What is the thing that Benkert brings? I just don't get it.

"Young and promising" is something I agree with. I just don't agree that Love, this season, is the better QB to try and win a game or two. Why do people assume that saying a 2nd year rookie isn't ready right now, is somehow some kind of shot against the player?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m just glad we finally solved the mystery.
The 2020 #2 QB Depth chart was firmly outplayed by the 2020 #3 first thing this season. We can all agree who was the better QB all along. :whistling:

Tim Boyle
22/39 (56%) :confused:
135 yards passing (5.6 per) :eek:
1 TD
O INT
78.9 rating

Jordan Love
24/35 (69%) :tup:
271 Passing (11.3 per) :)
1TD
1INT
89.7 rating

Why did you bring up Tim Boyle? You're comparing Love to a guy I said literally nothing about. Compare him to Benkert, that's actually relevant.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why did you bring up Tim Boyle? You're comparing Love to a guy I said literally nothing about. Compare him to Benkert, that's actually relevant.
Didnt you?? (Maybe others too??) Consistently blast a #1 draft pick not being able to beat out boyle last year?

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Young and promising" is something I agree with. I just don't agree that Love, this season, is the better QB to try and win a game or two. Why do people assume that saying a 2nd year rookie isn't ready right now, is somehow some kind of shot against the player?

I can elaborate on that. (Though I DON'T think the idea that Love is ready is a shot against him.)

Love, to my eye, is more physically talented. Better arm, better athlete all around. Should he need to, I suspect he could lean on that athletic ability to make plays he probably shouldn't.

Similarly, I don't see anything to get excited about Benkert. Nothing athletically impressive--though not to say he couldn't survive as an NFL quarterback or that he's limited, just nothing special.

As far as experience, Benkert has what, 1 extra pre-season (UDFA in 2018, IR during training camp 2019, 2020 screwball pre-season)?

Both have taken the same number of regular season snaps. 0.

What I see is a guy who has gone through pre-season/training camp before and knows how to make the most from pre-season and look good. If we were comparing this to a "real job," it's like he knows the side bits better....like he knows how to submit an expense report really well. Doesn't mean he can make parts, sell stuff, or design widgets any better.

Which is why I phrased it why I did: What do you see that leads you to conclude that Benkert would be a better backup this year? I ask this because, to repeat myself, I don't see whatever "IT" thing you do.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didnt you?? (Maybe others too??) Consistently blast a #1 draft pick not being able to beat out boyle last year?

I never blasted Love. I simply pointed out that he was inactive. He was a freaking rookie with no training camp, what else did people expect? It appears to me the issue is that literally anything that is said that doesn't support Love being an amazing player RIGHT NOW is taken as some kind of criticism.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can elaborate on that. (Though I DON'T think the idea that Love is ready is a shot against him.)

Love, to my eye, is more physically talented. Better arm, better athlete all around. Should he need to, I suspect he could lean on that athletic ability to make plays he probably shouldn't.

Similarly, I don't see anything to get excited about Benkert. Nothing athletically impressive--though not to say he couldn't survive as an NFL quarterback or that he's limited, just nothing special.

As far as experience, Benkert has what, 1 extra pre-season (UDFA in 2018, IR during training camp 2019, 2020 screwball pre-season)?

Both have taken the same number of regular season snaps. 0.

What I see is a guy who has gone through pre-season/training camp before and knows how to make the most from pre-season and look good. If we were comparing this to a "real job," it's like he knows the side bits better....like he knows how to submit an expense report really well. Doesn't mean he can make parts, sell stuff, or design widgets any better.

Which is why I phrased it why I did: What do you see that leads you to conclude that Benkert would be a better backup this year? I ask this because, to repeat myself, I don't see whatever "IT" thing you do.

To me, Benkert showed more poise and understanding during the pre-season. I will freely admit that I have nowhere near the knowledge of these players that the coaching staff has but, based on the limited opportunity we had to watch Love this season, he seemed like the more volatile player.

I write this with the understanding that some will read this and think that I'm somehow calling Love a bust which is nowhere close to anything I have ever said about the player.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't get behind this at all. Love is the better player, has more potential and is more ready right now. Sure, they didn't score against the Bills, but Love moved the ball is ease and we had mainly our entire 2nd and 3rd teamers going. The only 1st team guys that got snaps were Myers and Newman. Taylor was his #1 target as a WR. I think Love is a very capable backup that could win a couple games if Rodgers goes down for 2-4 games. I wouldn't trust him if Rodgers was shut down for the season, but I think he can get us by for a couple games. Benkert is a cut.

Believe it or not I actually think both you and Sunshine are on to something.

I believe Sunshine is advocating for keeping Benkert in sort of that placeholder role that we originally signed Bortles for in the event Rodgers didn't return. You could make arguments both for and against that.

The Pros

1. With the general consensus still being that Love has a ways to go even as good as he's been, the placeholder rule could certainly still apply even if it's a Rodgers injury issue and not him leaving. Most people were agreeing that if Rodgers left that LaFleur shouldn't throw Love out there yet and should just let Bortles take the heat. Same might apply here.

2. I don't see why Benkert couldn't do what we would have expected Bortles to do, and that isn't much. About the only difference between the two would be Bortles in game experience, but we're talking about a QB who would have simply been a game manager and little more. No reason to think Benkert couldn't serve in that same capacity, and perhaps even bring a little more to the table.

3. While I prefer Love getting behind the wheel and actually driving, watching one more year certainly doesn't hurt him.

4. It is possible for both Rodgers and Love to be injured, and if that does happen Bortles will not be available, and any other practice squad QB we pickup not named Benkert will be garbage.

The Cons

1. Love does have to get in game experience during the regular season to become a good QB, and while Benkert doing well backing up Rodgers might be good for the team, it would delay this. It's fine to keep Love in the watch and learn phase for a little while, but it cannot go on forever.

2. While Benkert having never started a game before doesn't mean he can't do it or do what we ask him to in it, he doesn't have the pedigree of some Ryan Fitzpatrick or Josh McCown guy who's done it for years.

3. Love does have skills and he deserves actions from us that tell him we're giving him a vote of confidence.

I mean the bottom line, I don't see what Sunshine is suggesting as a bad thing, and it wouldn't change anything in our future plans for Love. But at the same time there is no foolproof way to develop a QB, and I'd say it's ridiculous to think Love isn't capable of handling QB no 2 duties, especially with our deep offensive weapon core.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I never blasted Love. I simply pointed out that he was inactive. He was a freaking rookie with no training camp, what else did people expect? It appears to me the issue is that literally anything that is said that doesn't support Love being an amazing player RIGHT NOW is taken as some kind of criticism.
You sarcasticly wondered outloud..intended or not...its percieved as blasting

Attachments

• A8453489-3FC7-4A14-BACA-E10D33D6409A.png
    A8453489-3FC7-4A14-BACA-E10D33D6409A.png
    261.4 KB · Views: 91

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah yes, I said it was "concerning". Obviously I hated the guy and implied he was worse than Nathan Peterman.

You said
" Love was a player the Packers traded up for in the first round and wasn't able to pass Boyle on the depth chart, so I didn't need to see Love play to know he was worse than Boyle last year."

But now someone showed you boyles stats to Loves..and love out played him stat wise in pre season.

Doesnt mean anything other than love might be better now

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You said
" Love was a player the Packers traded up for in the first round and wasn't able to pass Boyle on the depth chart, so I didn't need to see Love play to know he was worse than Boyle last year."

But now someone showed you boyles stats to Loves..and love out played him stat wise in pre season.

Doesnt mean anything other than love might be better now

Yes, I've never said he wasn't any better. My comments about him sitting last season were a point of evidence that he was somewhat raw coming out of college (context does matter).

Bringing up Boyle when i said Benkert, to me, looks more reliable right now doesn’t make sense. Yes, if we could send this version of Jordan Love back in time to last season then I would think he would be the backup.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
But it's fun! And keeps me from taking things too seriously.
But of course in Article VI, section 41, paragraph 13, subsection iii, footnote 31 of the rules we have
Spelling Mistakes and Typos:
If anyone here ever has an issue with how someone types, spells, or using the wrong word, for instance:

Receiving core and not receiving corp (we had to lay this out perfectly because some posters were confused)

Please do not point out the mistakes in the forum. Send that person a pm please. You're going to open up a whole mess that no one wants to deal with. Be respectful of the person and not embarrass them in front of their fellow Packer and NFL fans.

because being a wet blanket is one of my favorite pastimes. Especially after three fingers into the bottle of Bourbon.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Benkert is nothing special. I personally thought Love outplayed him and I didn't think it was close. Love moved the ball with ease against the Bills 1st team defense. I think the mistakes he made were preseason mistakes. For example, in the regular season Love does not throw off his back foot into the endzone. This is an example of just working out what you can and cannot do. That's what preseason is for. I just can't agree that Benkert is better than Love right now.
3. While I prefer Love getting behind the wheel and actually driving, watching one more year certainly doesn't hurt him.

4. It is possible for both Rodgers and Love to be injured, and if that does happen Bortles will not be available, and any other practice squad QB we pickup not named Benkert will be garbage.

I'd say it's ridiculous to think Love isn't capable of handling QB no 2 duties, especially with our deep offensive weapon core.
Getting behind the wheel and driving is better experience than watching someone else drive.

If Rodgers and Love go down it won't matter the QB. Seasons over.

Again, I can't get behind wasting a roster spot for Benkert.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Benkert is nothing special. I personally thought Love outplayed him and I didn't think it was close. Love moved the ball with ease against the Bills 1st team defense. I think the mistakes he made were preseason mistakes. For example, in the regular season Love does not throw off his back foot into the endzone. This is an example of just working out what you can and cannot do. That's what preseason is for. I just can't agree that Benkert is better than Love right now.

Getting behind the wheel and driving is better experience than watching someone else drive.

Well we will find out in just under 7 hours what will become of him

Now, well I mean if Rodgers alone goes down and cannot be back for the playoffs, then yeah the season is over. If he were to go down for 5-6 weeks, and within that timeframe Love also went down, I know people won't agree with this but I'm going to say yes Benkert would win at least 3 of those games, assuming the other starters were healthy. Out on a limb but yes I would in fact trust Benkert in that situation.

At this point, I don't think anyone's minds are going to be changed one way or the other on Benkert's abilities until he's seen (if he gets the opportunity) playing in a regular season game whether it's for us or another team. I hope we are able to sign him to our practice roster because at least then I think everyone can get what they want, or at least mostly.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Benkert will not be on the 53 so that got settled. We'll await the waiver claims and practice squad news, but hopefully we put him there at least.

The debate will go on though

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers did come in during some mop up duty when the Packers were getting whooped and did break his foot. I believe it was his rookie year.

I don't remember the hate for Rodgers. At the time though I live in MN.
It was His second season. Brett still started the next week. We got shut out that year by the Pats and Bears at HOME. And also got embarrassed by the Jets at Lambeau. Now in the 2005 season Sherman should have used Rodgers considering we went 4-12. But the O line was so bad thanks to Thompson that maybe he was afraid for Rodgers' life.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah, Sherman was just one big old dunderhead who drove the Packers into the ground. A worse coach than Forest Gregg because at least Gregg's guys knew how to tackle.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, at this point I'm pretty much ready to see what he can do.

I mean the ride is going to be bumpy at first I think, but man if Rodgers is going to be this low energy at season opening, I'm ready to at least live with Love's growing pains and let him at least try and will us to victory.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, at this point I'm pretty much ready to see what he can do.

I mean the ride is going to be bumpy at first I think, but man if Rodgers is going to be this low energy at season opening, I'm ready to at least live with Love's growing pains and let him at least try and will us to victory.
The Love era may have started today. And I do not want to see Rodgers get beat up with this undermanned O line. Denver may be able to sell us a defense. I guess I would rather lose 14-10 knowing I was in it rather than 38-3 every week.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers first career start September 8th 2008 at home against the Minnesota Vikings:

18 of 22 for 178 yards 1td 115.5 passer rating

8 for 35 1td rushing

Did fumble once but it was not lost

24-19 victory

Jordan Love first career start November 7th 2021 on the road against the Kansas City Chiefs

20 of 26 for 247 yards 2 tds

6 for 36 1td rushing

35 -17 victory

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers first career start September 8th 2008 at home against the Minnesota Vikings:

8 for 35 1td rushing

24-19 victory

Jordan Love first career start November 7th 2021 on the road against the Kansas City Chiefs

6 for 36 1td rushing

35 -17 victory
Did I forget to set my clocks. I thought the game just started.

Hope you're right. On the victory part anyway. The rest I'm flexible on.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

8 for 35 1td rushing

24-19 victory

6 for 36 1td rushing

35 -17 victory
Cute!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Benkert may never start an NFL game but I am proud of him for standing up to Florio. The guy had it coming. I hope more players follow suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts