The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 31 43.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The draft is lining up well for the Packers. They should be able to get a franchise LT with the first pick and a plus starter with the 1st 2nd Rounder. I think that will go a long way to improving the offense. The loss of our OL coach I think is a huge issue for this team right now.

We will see what we have in Love next season. His first few games were so promising, followed by a bunch of garbage. I think the biggest issue is the OL. We shall see.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, look back at the game we played against the Bears. It's hard to believe this is even the same team. I know it was the Bears, but come on.

Love played better last week than first week IMO after watching the All-22

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much every offensive position should be on the table for the first round pick...just not RB. Nobody can get an accurate idea of how good Love is based on the players he has around him (other than the fact that after three years in the NFL he's still pretty bad at the deep ball) but, by that same token, that means you can't be certain he's the answer and, if the Packers can draft one of the top QBs in the draft, they should absolutely do so.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty much every offensive position should be on the table for the first round pick...just not RB. Nobody can get an accurate idea of how good Love is based on the players he has around him (other than the fact that after three years in the NFL he's still pretty bad at the deep ball) but, by that same token, that means you can't be certain he's the answer and, if the Packers can draft one of the top QBs in the draft, they should absolutely do so.
You say can’t get an accurate idea of Love

but yet let’s get top Qb in the draft?

What if in practice and class room he knows where ball needs to go. Where all his players should be , what correct protection is supposed to be called. but when it’s game time he knows all this but the other players get screwed up?

look

Love has some accuracy issues. But not one person here knows exactly what was called and where all the players should be. Kurt and Aaron said Love is fine. You either trust their words or you don’t . If you do trust then other Players need to adjust .

If you don’t trust Kurt Warner or Aaron

his Long balls. Is he that off? Check downs has been off again is it where it should be or the receiver wrong?
Ck history. Aaron had many issues with ck downs and this forum documented it

aaron went 8 and 9 with better off players and had his worse stat season ever

yet , from Aaron fans it was the players and coaches

those same posters now say it’s love

ive already called out one (krabs) I hope sunshine isn’t another

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is a good watch. Somehow Love completes this pass to Doubs.

This is just one of the plays where I think we see the "special" - doesn't override the other errors...but again perfect example of just massive failures of the offense....no one, NO ONE ran routes on this play. It was only Doubs at the last minute realizing what was happening he tried to slip behind.

Yet plays like this happen constantly and folks pretend it is Love with the issues.

Last edited:

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
This is just one of the plays where I think we see the "special" - doesn't override the other errors...but again perfect example of just massive failures of the offense....no one, NO ONE ran routes on this play. It was only Doubs at the last minute realizing what was happening he tried to slip behind.
I think it was supposed to be a screen play to the RB. Just a mess on offense.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was supposed to be a screen play to the RB. Just a mess on offense.
The reason they stopped short of the defenders is that as soon as the pass was complete, probably to #28, their assignments were to block the players in front of them. What you saw was smart play by both Love and Doubs to turn it into a chain moving play. Give credit to Doubs for creating an opportunity that Love could capitalize on. Smart, on both their parts.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason they stopped short of the defenders is that as soon as the pass was complete, probably to #28, their assignments were to block the players in front of them. What you saw was smart play by both Love and Doubs to turn it into a chain moving play. Give credit to Doubs for creating an opportunity that Love could capitalize on. Smart, on both their parts.

That throw was just insanely high level too...off balance zero bottom half help and dropped it into a hole the size of the ball. He and Doubs on that play were elite....other plays....well not so much.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get the need to give Love air, but I really can't stand the "Aaron Rodgers sucked his first year too" posts. Aaron was 4th in the league in yards, 4th in touchdowns, and 5th in passer rating in his first year. Love might break the top 20 in yards. Yes, Aaron's receivers were obviously much better, but come on. Love looks pretty darn bad.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get the need to give Love air, but I really can't stand the "Aaron Rodgers sucked his first year too" posts. Aaron was 4th in the league in yards, 4th in touchdowns, and 5th in passer rating in his first year. Love might break the top 20 in yards. Yes, Aaron's receivers were obviously much better, but come on. Love looks pretty darn bad.

And Manning led the league in INTs, Elway SUCKED...we have to learn to look at guys outside of just numbers - this isn't a slight to you but again you justify the thought of Rodgers didn't suck by his numbers of production...which is fine but it is massively deeper than that. FTR I wouldn't agree with the claim Rodgers sucked his first year as well but not because of his stats alone.

Here's some first year starter stats:
16 Games - 326 for 575 (56.70%) for 3,739 yards and 26 TDs to go with 28 INTs and a 71.2 rate (4 games at 50 or worse)
16 Games - 320 for 526 (60.84%) for 3,284 yards and 17 TDs to go with 16 INTs and a 76.9 rate (2 sub 50 games)
11 Games - 123 for 259 (47.49 %) for 1,663 yards and 7 TDs to go with 14 INTs and a 54.9 rate (5 sub 50 games...4 sub 40 games) (this QB had a career completion percentage of 56.9)
12 Games - 169 for 320 (52.81%) for 2,074 yards and 10 TDs to go with 12 INTs and a 67.9 rate (3 sub 50 games)

That first one with AUTROCIOUS completion% and INTs numbers is Peyton Manning
The second one was none other than Drew Brees
The third one with 2 INTs to every TD and sub 50% completion%...John Elway
The last one is none other than Josh Allen

NONE of those are to make folks think I feel Jordan Love is going to be any of their levels, it is merely prime examples of how first year starting QBs' don't always hit the ground running and are what they end up being.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Manning led the league in INTs, Elway SUCKED...we have to learn to look at guys outside of just numbers - this isn't a slight to you but again you justify the thought of Rodgers didn't suck by his numbers of production...which is fine but it is massively deeper than that. FTR I wouldn't agree with the claim Rodgers sucked his first year as well but not because of his stats alone.

Here's some first year starter stats:
16 Games - 326 for 575 (56.70%) for 3,739 yards and 26 TDs to go with 28 INTs and a 71.2 rate (4 games at 50 or worse)
16 Games - 320 for 526 (60.84%) for 3,284 yards and 17 TDs to go with 16 INTs and a 76.9 rate (2 sub 50 games)
11 Games - 123 for 259 (47.49 %) for 1,663 yards and 7 TDs to go with 14 INTs and a 54.9 rate (5 sub 50 games...4 sub 40 games) (this QB had a career completion percentage of 56.9)
12 Games - 169 for 320 (52.81%) for 2,074 yards and 10 TDs to go with 12 INTs and a 67.9 rate (3 sub 50 games)

That first one with AUTROCIOUS completion% and INTs numbers is Peyton Manning
The second one was none other than Drew Brees
The third one with 2 INTs to every TD and sub 50% completion%...John Elway
The last one is none other than Josh Allen

NONE of those are to make folks think I feel Jordan Love is going to be any of their levels, it is merely prime examples of how first year starting QBs' don't always hit the ground running and are what they end up being.

The reason Aaron is a more appropriate comparison is that he also was not a rookie and had three years experience. Comparing it to true rookies like Peyton walking onto a 3-13 team with a new coach and starting five months out of college doesn't make sense. Love is stepping into a system he's been studying for 3 years under a very good head coach.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason Aaron is a more appropriate comparison is that he also was not a rookie and had three years experience. Comparing it to true rookies like Peyton walking onto a 3-13 team with a new coach and starting five months out of college doesn't make sense. Love is stepping into a system he's been studying for 3 years under a very good head coach.

It isn't an apples to apples...nothing is. It was Elway's second year on that list too for reference.

Even using Rodgers as the comp isn't fair because Rodgers team around him was GROSSLY more experienced. Grossly.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually don't like comparisons and think they are a waste of time and cannot really be accurate. Just look at how he plays. I'm willing to give him more time but he has to start throwing the deep ball better and stop relying on those almost worthless short passes in the flat. He's using the dump off option too much imho. He should be able to tell if they are going to go anywhere.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it difficult comparing QBs and years to each other. Especially when the entire make up of the team is so much different between them. It's like trying to figure out how many oranges it takes to make 25 chocolate cakes, if you don't use corn flakes.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually don't like comparisons and think they are a waste of time and cannot really be accurate. Just look at how he plays. I'm willing to give him more time but he has to start throwing the deep ball better and stop relying on those almost worthless short passes in the flat. He's using the dump off option too much imho. He should be able to tell if they are going to go anywhere.

Watch the All-22 film, you cannot just toss it deep or intermediate if the play call or design is for shorter...or no one is open elsewhere.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it difficult comparing QBs and years to each other. Especially when the entire make up of the team is so much different between them. It's like trying to figure out how many oranges it takes to make 25 chocolate cakes, if you don't use corn flakes.

All it can really illustrate is that there are cases where someone struggling does not directly mean they will always struggle. Nothing beyond that can it be used for IMO

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I think that the hardest thing for most fans is to look beyond the stats. What do you see when you watch him play? I don't see a scared player. I don't see a dumb player. I see a guy who has minimal tools to work with trying. I'm cool with that for now. The wins and losses matter to my heart, but not to my brain.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That throw was just insanely high level too...off balance zero bottom half help and dropped it into a hole the size of the ball. He and Doubs on that play were elite....other plays....well not so much.
How many times have we had illegal man downfield this year?

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many times have we had illegal man downfield this year?

I think that is partially it being a point of focus this year. I've seen it called in other games I've caught as well. It happens sometimes.

It's also more likely to happen when the play goes wrong or the QB has to ad-lib. If the play design is a quick hitter, after those 2.5-3s, good linemen should be looking for work downfield. If the QB has to pull it in because of quick pressure or everyone is covered or the 2nd read guy fell down, the whole works can fall apart.

Reaction score
Maybe the defensive backs in the NFL are better (and faster) than in college?
Sounds sarcastic, but it’s very likely that’s part of it. Faster and let’s face it more instinctual in general.

Something I’ve noticed is a higher % of his passes are dropped because the Defender has already arrived. That speaks to increased timing issues. That said, some if that will smooth as Love and his Receivers acclimate. Some are on his receiver some are on Love.

Overall I think Love can be an average type NFL starting QB. Get a couple upgrades on OL and maybe one more weapon and allow these young guys to mature. I’m not sure he’s built for HOF like we’re used to. Average won’t work if we have a 22pts+ allowed per game Defense

Last edited:

U.P. Packfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah and some pass catchers that go up and make some plays, I get these guys are young and will get better each week, presumably...But I mean for example while I think Jayden Reed is a player. Is there anyway you can blame that int on Love? To me the answer is a resounding, no. Reed had the ball in both hands and failed to secure it on what should of been a big play for the Packers offense. Instead it goes down on the stat sheet as an int for Love
Yeah and some pass catchers that go up and make some plays, I get these guys are young and will get better each week, presumably...But I mean for example while I think Jayden Reed is a player. Is there anyway you can blame that int on Love? To me the answer is a resounding, no. Reed had the ball in both hands and failed to secure it on what should of been a big play for the Packers offense. Instead it goes down on the stat sheet as an int for Love
Yes I do put the blame on that int on Love. Reed had to wait for the ball to come to him. If the ball had been delivered on target he would have been walking into the end zone. I'll admit that I am judging the throws from what I saw the last 16 years before so maybe I am expecting too much but I am seeing far too many 50/50 type balls where proper ball placement would make a huge difference. When both the receiver and the DB get their hands on the ball at the same time there is a good chance we won't like the outcome. (Completion vs. incompletion or interception)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts