The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 31 43.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Reaction score
A times I wonder how much of the dropoff is also the transition from Rodgers (very good at managing the pocket and checking out of plays) to Love. The QB has a rather large impact on how the oline performs and part of the fall off this season could be Love learning something on the field he never got a chance to learn in practice (how to manage against a defense that is allowed to hit him).
It’s a good question and hard to pinpoint. Although I can confidently say that if we put Rodgers into the mix across the first 6 games I doubt it does much to improve our OL or to improve our route running by changing play calls. Rodgers does t fix mixed blocks or mixed assignments and he definitely doesn’t erase pretty major injuries.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A times I wonder how much of the dropoff is also the transition from Rodgers (very good at managing the pocket and checking out of plays) to Love. The QB has a rather large impact on how the oline performs and part of the fall off this season could be Love learning something on the field he never got a chance to learn in practice (how to manage against a defense that is allowed to hit him).
Considering our current state of injury and lack of talent, I doubt that we'd exactly be tearing the league apart right now even if we had Rodgers. If he was even playing. Plus we'd have his salary to deal with on top of it all.

Reaction score
Considering our current state of injury and lack of talent, I doubt that we'd exactly be tearing the league apart right now even if we had Rodgers. If he was even playing. Plus we'd have his salary to deal with on top of it all.
This was our setback year. One good thing about taking 2 steps back is we likely select inside that top 10 area where we have a shot at the best or possibly 2nd best of an array of position groups.

Obviously next year we will start reaping the financial and draft benefits of this trade. Reed (Jets) will be in year 2 and we’ll be picking ~top 50 area again for the Rodgers deal. In addition we could have some cap flexibility to sniff around FA.

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, Rodgers really wasn't very good last year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry???

What was their record last year? And what players other than Rodgers are gone from last year?

I will say this. You can not replace rodgers or his mind and his ability to cover up for some issues. Never ever replace him

but he wasn't the Aaron we were used to last year. Injury or not. He was the qb. I can guarantee you and others if it was Love with an injury--- the hatred would be crazy

But people act like the team last year was 11 and 6.. We missed playoffs. Offense couldn't score for crap....Home game week 17....Aaron threw interception to end his Packer career

Ooo BTW that int made them miss the playoffs

I wish people would understand and use common sense

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Fun stat

Avg points per game for off last year? 21.8

This year?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry???

What was their record last year? And what players other than Rodgers are gone from last year?

I will say this. You can not replace rodgers or his mind and his ability to cover up for some issues. Never ever replace him

but he wasn't the Aaron we were used to last year. Injury or not. He was the qb. I can guarantee you and others if it was Love with an injury--- the hatred would be crazy

But people act like the team last year was 11 and 6.. We missed playoffs. Offense couldn't score for crap....Home game week 17....Aaron threw interception to end his Packer career

Ooo BTW that int made them miss the playoffs

I wish people would understand and use common sense

I'm confused? Are you surprised that I think the QB has a large impact on the performance of the oline? Coming into the season, many thought the Packers' oline would be a strength of the team. Obviously Bakh missing is hurting but even players who have been great (Jenkins) are seeing substantial drop offs in play.

Not sure why my comment on Rodgers being able to manage the pocket well appears to have offended you so much. IMO, last season's W-L record didn't have much to do with pocket awareness.

Reaction score
I'm confused? Are you surprised that I think the QB has a large impact on the performance of the oline? Coming into the season, many thought the Packers' oline would be a strength of the team. Obviously Bakh missing is hurting but even players who have been great (Jenkins) are seeing substantial drop offs in play.

Not sure why my comment on Rodgers being able to manage the pocket well appears to have offended you so much. IMO, last season's W-L record didn't have much to do with pocket awareness.
Yes but Jenkins drop off in play is injury related. He’s missed nearly half of his usual O snaps. It’s not a big leap to tie his drop off with coming off an injury.
Elgton has a 7th round novice next to him instead of an All Pro. THAT Coupled with injuries affects his performance in a big way. The QB checking out of plays kinda stuff has a minor impact in comparison.

Anyone trying to imply that it’s Jordan’s fault that Elgton is underperforming is severely reaching. One could even counter with a good argument that its symbiotic and they affect each other equally.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes but Jenkins drop off in play is injury related. He’s missed nearly half of his usual O snaps. It’s not a big leap to tie his drop off with coming off an injury.
Elgton has a 7th round novice next to him instead of an All Pro. THAT Coupled with injuries affects his performance in a big way. The QB checking out of plays kinda stuff has a minor impact in comparison.

Anyone trying to imply that it’s Jordan’s fault that Elgton is underperforming is severely reaching. One could even counter with a good argument that its symbiotic and they affect each other equally.

I never said it was a huge impact, I just don't think the possibility should be dismissed so quickly. It's a potential factor that adds into other factors. At no point did I mean to imply that all of Jenkins issues this year are because of Jordan Love.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fun stat

Avg points per game for off last year? 21.8

This year?

So the offense with Love is generating nearly as many points as Aaron Rodgers did? When Rodgers had a better OLine? And Love is contending with the loss of our 4 most experienced receivers and missing Aaron Jones for most of the games? And Rodgers had all that experience and knowledge to help him?

Wowzers.

Reaction score
I never said it was a huge impact, I just don't think the possibility should be dismissed so quickly. It's a potential factor that adds into other factors. At no point did I mean to imply that all of Jenkins issues this year are because of Jordan Love.
A times I wonder how much of the dropoff is also the transition from Rodgers (very good at managing the pocket and checking out of plays) to Love. The QB has a rather large impact on how the oline performs and part of the fall off this season could be Love learning something on the field he never got a chance to learn in practice
I’m sure you didn’t mean “all” either.
That said the sentiment across several posts seemed to imply Jordan’s play made have had a large impact in the regression of our OL. It’s no big deal it plays a part, but as you posed your own question and then sort of answered your own question moments later is what I’m disagreeing with. I just disagree it has a “large part” in the play of someone like Elgton. My opinion is that the OL regression pie chart factors mainly on Injury first, then inexperience etc.. We’ve had poor OL play with #12 as recent as last year was that Aaron’s fault. No

It’s ok I know you didn’t mean to imply Love had a large part in making our OL bad. Just came out that way I’m not trying to pick on you more just relaying what I disagreed with.

Let’s be frank. The part Jordan plays is integral more from the standpoint that when a team Wins or Loses the QB represents that phase. They are either Hero or Zero

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I couldn't agree more. I actually felt that AR's drop off in play last year was injury related. AR had a couple of rookies instead of an all pro to throw to. That coupled with injury affected his performance in a big way. IMO. I also agree that a healthy Love is putting up as many points as an injured Rodgers did.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Didn't offended me lol

But you cant compare this ol to last year. And I even said Rodgers makes up for issues because he was soo good.

I just want people to use common sense.. Its a worse ol than last year. We had a great qb that made up for issues last year.

This year new qb with worse ol. Can't compare the 2 seasons

But rodgers led us to 8 and 9 and no playoffs and tossed season ending int with better offensive players

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what needs to happen, hopefully starting this Sunday:
Seems to me we need to get healthy.
And somebody needs to step up. Preferably several people.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s a good question and hard to pinpoint. Although I can confidently say that if we put Rodgers into the mix across the first 6 games I doubt it does much to improve our OL or to improve our route running by changing play calls. Rodgers does t fix mixed blocks or mixed assignments and he definitely doesn’t erase pretty major injuries.
Exactly. He may be able to change the play or read coverages better but he certainly could not compensate for the pass rush or sub par running game or the drops. Maybe he does not throw several of those INTs but he takes more sacks. And would he have as many yards rushing as Love has now? No. And would he have gotten hurt as he did in NY? Maybe.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is not good... Very much looking like a wasted 1st round pick and it pushed our HOF quarterback out of town.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is not good... Very much looking like a wasted 1st round pick and it pushed our HOF quarterback out of town.
Whatever Love turns out to be, I think Rodgers days were pretty much done anyway, at least from a practical standpoint. Not to say he couldn't play anymore, but we weren't going to win any more Lombardis with his expense. I would have been fine with keeping him around out of loyalty (I know many would disagree with that), but I'm also fine with getting what we could for him and trying to rebuild.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever Love turns out to be, I think Rodgers days were pretty much done anyway, at least from a practical standpoint. Not to say he couldn't play anymore, but we weren't going to win any more Lombardis with his expense. I would have been fine with keeping him around out of loyalty (I know many would disagree with that), but I'm also fine with getting what we could for him and trying to rebuild.
This is true. He probably sees the defense and makes the basic throws etc. And maybe he changes a load of MLF calls like today in the red zone. But he could never run away like Love and gets sacked 4 or 5 times a game with this line.

Reaction score
I listened to this game first.
I then watched it condensed, but replayed nearly every play looking to place fault for stagnant scoring drives.

1st and foremost. Love actually didn’t play to the level of the scoreboard or stat line. He did NOT throw an INT. Idk care if its recorded that way. Reed caught the ball with 2 hands clean and that Defender ripped and as the ball came out? It fell into his lap. It was a A+ Defensive play there and the ball was placed about as perfect as you can ask for.

Love also had a key pass dropped by Wicks for a 1st and Goal from 3. That ball gets caught 93/100 times across the entire NFL. That cost us 7 points.

I counted about 3 throws total that I’d call “uncatchable”. I counted 4 that were pure drops. I counted another 4 that were contested but very catchable. That’s 8 passes that resulted in ZERO receptions that should’ve been between 3-5 catches area. 1 was a TD to Watson.

I have film where the Defenders are literally tackling our WR or TE before the ball arrives on 3 or 4 passes that were dropped.

Love actually surprised me. He was pressured but he got passes that were reminiscent of young Favre. Actually almost Mahommes like and there’s maybe maybe 3 QB’s lesguewide that make some of the throws he made. Several got called back for penalties. Yet he was still 60% passing. He should’ve been 66%+ 2-3TD 0INT. The film wasn’t nearly as bad as the score. His team is not helping him and I can’t count the number of times the alluded to this on the radio.

These photos were his most impressive..

Reaction score

Tight coverage. Bordering PI called 50% of the time.

Pure drop by Rookie fir 1st n Goal

Should’ve been “in the grasp” threw for a impressive 1st down

Absolutely impressive in what could be double coverage. Dropped and called INT

Beautiful 20+ yards pass negated 1st down by penalty on #63

Ball hasn’t arrived. Called incomplete on field.. but clear PI

1 of a very few examples of poor throws I saw. It was “High” but still catchable. Hits #33 in both hands but debatably a tough catch.

Attachments

• IMG_6039.png
    IMG_6039.png
    655.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Reaction score
Broken block play by Walker. Love easily escapes the 1st Sack with a great base strength, tossing the would be Defender. Then reSets and under more pressure throws off balance an absolute PERFECT strike. There are actually more Vikings players in our backfield than on their entire sideline!
It’s one of his better throws this year because what it demonstrates. IMO Only a handful of QB’s at this level can make this throw under duress.
Finally. The only person who catches that ball is a Packer. Take a closer look at his sideline teammates reaction. Great extension and concentration by our WR. Unfortunate.
Negated by penalty on Walker unnecessarily running downfield

Walker not only left his blocking assignment for a guy to free run at our QB.. he then coupled that drastic mistake by running aimlessly downfield. He actually screwed up 2X on 1 play which is hard to do. Jordan overcame Walkers first mistake, but no one can fix dumb

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was more impressed with Love today than I was at Chicago. He did more with less around him. That takes another level of QB play. Many QB’s can play while protected at a good level. Only the upper echelon QB’s can raise their level when under extreme duress and overcoming constant mistakes and below average play happening around them
Put Love on a good Offense? He’s a 30TD 15 INT guy. His stat line today could’ve easily been 28-41 2TD 270 if simply not for as many dropped passes.

To me we are 1 year minimum growth across these news guys.
Plus an above average LT, a medium tier, veteran TE who can add experience and consistency, plus either 1 more O weapon earlier in the draft at either RB/WR (or both)

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was more impressed with Love today than I was at Chicago. He did more with less around him.
I haven't been impressed with Love. But if you look at first year starting stats for HOF quarterbacks, they're not really impressive usually. And I haven't heard anyone suggest Love will be a HOF quarterback, although there's hope he can be a pro bowler at least. So I'm trying not to draw any conclusions this year.

Difference with Love is the talent level around him hasn't been great, and also the rules today really favor the QB, so that's a bit of a wash.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest issue I see in our offensive performance is the unexpected poor offensive line play. I really wasn't counting on Bahk either. I saw ranking before the season where we were in the top 5 OLs. I think, right now, only Tom is playing beyond expectations. Jenkins is good, but he has played better. What happened to Nijman? He looked like a probable starter. Myer did not improve and is inadequate. Runyan is adequate.

Rhyan, Walker and to a less extent, Newman are young ascending players and you could expect one of them to step forward.

I thought the MLF system was very OL friendly, but it seems to have shifted. Loss of Stenovich is probably the biggest issue.

Anyway, it all starts in the trenches and if we don't get that in gear the running and passing game, and Love's performance, will suffer.
I guess that's why I don't feel like I can fully evaluate him. I'd like to see him with a decent OL. These guys are bad.