The Hype

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Is starting to scare me. I don't know if I like it. Especially this kind of adoration:
NFL experts make 2009 predictions on Super Bowl, MVP, more - NFL - SI.com

Do I think we're going to be good? Yes. Would I predict a Super Bowl? No. I'm really hoping our players remember to take care of business and don't buy into the crazy amount of hype we've been getting.

And is it me, or is this the most hype you've ever seen a 6-10 team get the next year?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree. The pre-season hype makes me nervous. I mean, I know we looked good, but we didn't really play anybody who spent any kind of game planning for us.

As much as I would love to see those predictions come true, I think I'd be more content if we simply stayed off the radar.

paco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is starting to scare me. I don't know if I like it. Especially this kind of adoration:
NFL experts make 2009 predictions on Super Bowl, MVP, more - NFL - SI.com

Do I think we're going to be good? Yes. Would I predict a Super Bowl? No. I'm really hoping our players remember to take care of business and don't buy into the crazy amount of hype we've been getting.

And is it me, or is this the most hype you've ever seen a 6-10 team get the next year?

As good as the respect is, I would rather go in as an underdog. I think the Pack have as much chance at a Super Bowl as anyone else in the NFC. As long as the team doesn't think they can coast to the playoffs, it doesn't matter what we think. I think, especially the defense, is looking to prove themselves. I think they'll play hard out of the gate. Just hope they have something left at the end of the season for the Steelers, Ravens and Cardinals.

But I do love the Viking and Bear fans squirming at the thought of the Packers in the SB!

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its too early and all these predictions year after year mean nothing. I think the Pack will have a tough go of it in the first 3 games, getting all the bugs worked out of the defense and some things on offense. The Monday Night game against the vikings will set the tone and be good prediction of where the Pack is as a football team no matter what our record is to that point. So if we stumble out of the gates at 1-2 before Monday Night, I will not panic. I will panic if we are 3-0 going into the vikings game and lose bad. With a win Monday Night at 2-2 I will be feeling pretty good with some experience with the new defense and a big win on the road against Brett. Two major things accomplished early, the Brett thing over, and a division leader knocked down on the road. That game is big for the Pack.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As good as the respect is, I would rather go in as an underdog. I think the Pack have as much chance at a Super Bowl as anyone else in the NFC. As long as the team doesn't think they can coast to the playoffs, it doesn't matter what we think. I think, especially the defense, is looking to prove themselves. I think they'll play hard out of the gate. Just hope they have something left at the end of the season for the Steelers, Ravens and Cardinals.

But I do love the Viking and Bear fans squirming at the thought of the Packers in the SB!

What makes you believe that there are any Bears or Vikings fans squirming over the Packers or even thinking about them?

It is easy to find a site that picks your favorite team to win while ignoring the ones that pick someone else.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What makes you believe that there are any Bears or Vikings fans squirming over the Packers or even thinking about them?

It is easy to find a site that picks your favorite team to win while ignoring the ones that pick someone else.

Did you not see the link posted? This wasn't Packer fans picking us to win, this was a handful of people with SI picking us to win.

paco

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Look at any of the posts associated with the analysts stating the Packers will go to the Super Bowl or win the division. They are full of comments from Bears fans and Viking fans whining about it. It is obviously getting to them.

And I don't ignore the other sites. Most places still say the Vikings are the favorite and a few pick the Bears. It's just been my experience that the Packers fans are a little more objective about it (not much), then the Bear fans, then the Vikings. I read almost anything I can find on the NFC North. Seems like a general consensous is that it's a toss up between these 3 teams, while the Lions sit behind, but still improve.

Hey Sparta! How's it hangin'?

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is only a prediction. Didnt everyone last year predict the Chargers to eat everyone alive last year?

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you not see the link posted? This wasn't Packer fans picking us to win, this was a handful of people with SI picking us to win.

And?

So this is something but the sites or writers who pick the Vikings or Bears to win the division don't count right?
I never said that it was the Packer fans making the picks.

Peter King at SI picks the Bears to win the division.

SI's 2009 NFL Scouting Reports - NFL - SI.com

The writers at ESPN pick the Bears too while they pick the Vikings for 2nd.

ESPN The Magazine's 2009 NFL divisional previews: NFC North - ESPN

It is just their opinion and it is about as important as having your name printed in the phone book.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
It's cool some writers think we'll be in the mix. I'm happy about that, but it's impossible to say more than that until all 16 regular season games have been played.

Teams that think they are SB bound before a snap has been played usually don't get there. Remember the Cowboys in 07.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And?

So this is something but the sites or writers who pick the Vikings or Bears to win the division don't count right?
I never said that it was the Packer fans making the picks.

Peter King at SI picks the Bears to win the division.

SI's 2009 NFL Scouting Reports - NFL - SI.com

The writers at ESPN pick the Bears too while they pick the Vikings for 2nd.

ESPN The Magazine's 2009 NFL divisional previews: NFC North - ESPN

It is just their opinion and it is about as important as having your name printed in the phone book.

Well, you're on a Packers forum. Sorry you don't feel like the Bears or Vikings aren't getting enough love here, but I would think you'd understand that naturally our news is going to be skewed towards Packers related topics with this being a Packers forum and all.

Just sayin.

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its way too early to even say super bowl ... IMO we will have a sub par season ... this team could have a solid season ... im not saying they wont ,, however at this point i wont say were super bowl contenders ,, or even play off contenders ... last season we stunk it up ,, so with that in mind i wouldent get too excited ... for us to have a good year alotta things have to happen ... we have to over come a bad season ... we have to learn to stop the run ,, we have to watch for injurys ,, we have to get a running game ... so as you can see we have plenty of work ahead ... if we get deep in the season with out any injurys ,, we could have a great year ,, thats a big if tho ...
another thought , if we dont work on a running game we give the TOP to the other team ... if this happens we will loose alotta close ones again ... we should have learned that lesson last season ,, let see if they figured that out yet ...:frustrated:

cnc66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From where I sit, I think y'all will fare well this year. Rodgers is looking sharp and your defense looked pretty darned intimidating through the exhibition season. I would be concerned about Cutler and Peterson but not Favre. I think brett will once again cave in and fold the last part of the season. Lordy, him being "there" has to be tough.. for us that would be the equivelant of Marino, Thomas or Taylor signing with the jests or pats.. tough to swallow. Anyway, I think you have much to look forward too going in and I will be rooting for you every inch of the way!

Packer - Dolphin Superbowl!!!

...more likely you than us, we are at least a year out for serious contention IMO, but "our" dreams are still alive too!

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea I hate hype and all the banwagon jumpers, but it is nice to get some respect. I think alot will be said Sunday night. I almost feel like last season was meant to be terrible, in order to put the Pack in the position they are now with new staff and future cornerstones on defense. Lets just sit back, ignore this SB converstation and see what happens.

The beauty of football is that anything can happen. For instance maybe the Browns will make it there. Or even the Lions for all we know. So all we can say is GO PACK GO!

Chadthedrummer7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah did anyone read the first SI? they had us finishing 3rd in the division and now this? i like being picked 3rd... no pressure. but screw all the hype. The home stretch games look a lil tough thru december, but i dont make predictions... but i sure HOPE we have a better than 6-10 season, which thanx to dom capers i forsee that happening. MERRY CHRISTMAS by the way to ALL, since Pitt plays tonight--FOOTBALL has officially started! (sportin the GB shirt as i type!) GO PACK GO!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, you're on a Packers forum. Sorry you don't feel like the Bears or Vikings aren't getting enough love here, but I would think you'd understand that naturally our news is going to be skewed towards Packers related topics with this being a Packers forum and all.

Just sayin.

I could not care less about how much love the Bears are or are not getting on this site or any other one.
That is just kid stuff and it means nothing.

This is not the BCS or American Idol and voting for your team in a poll or having someone predicting them to have a good season will not make a difference.
Wins and loses. That is all that matters.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of this will be settled on the field this year. Preseason forecasts aren't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin getting it on.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From where I sit, I think y'all will fare well this year. Rodgers is looking sharp and your defense looked pretty darned intimidating through the exhibition season. I would be concerned about Cutler and Peterson but not Favre. I think brett will once again cave in and fold the last part of the season. Lordy, him being "there" has to be tough.. for us that would be the equivelant of Marino, Thomas or Taylor signing with the jests or pats.. tough to swallow. Anyway, I think you have much to look forward too going in and I will be rooting for you every inch of the way!

Packer - Dolphin Superbowl!!!

...more likely you than us, we are at least a year out for serious contention IMO, but "our" dreams are still alive too!

Miami has some serious potential to make a splash in the AFC and make the playoffs. I firmly believe that Pat White, although an indulgance pick in the draft for the 2nd round, has the speed, talent, and ability to win a few games out of the wildcat. The fact they did little out of it in the pre-season should be unnerving for division opponents and anyone they play this year. White has an ok arm, great hands, and 4.5-4.6 speed. In a team that pretty much showed that can do some strange things out of the wildcat plus a QB who is willings to participate in the oddities could be a key factor in Miami's season. If the recievers can step up, then Miami's offense could be deadly with a balanced, tricky attack. They might just have a very underrated team this year despite the fact they had a stellar record last season.

They are about 2-3 years from maybe becoming a powerhouse offensively if they aren't already. Just a few picks away. Dump Ginn, and get a better all around reciever.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a Packer side of the ball lets just watch the season unfold. I am so happy the Bears got Cutler. Enjoy that.

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
Nothing will ever beat the hype raised by family, friends and co-workers.

As for media hype, well, it provides jobs for that industry. And what's good for that industry is good for America....Oh, say can you see....

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if you take things in context, Green Bay is going to be a difficult team to beat - but they've still got issues from what I have witnessed thus far in the preseason - ability to run the ball and stop the run. You can change schemes on defense, but will it be enough?

The schedule is frightfully easy - UNLESS the North proves to be better than I think it will be. Minnesota cannot pass-block, and have pedestrian receivers - so they have their issues. Chicago never seems to be able to field a consistent offense, but will the addition of Cutler change that much? I'm not convinced it will. Detroit will be improved, but they don't pack the heat offensively to stay with Green Bay.

If Rodgers stays on the field, I would anticipate a first round bye in the playoffs, at least. It appears New Orleans comes close to matching Green Bay on offense, but unsure of their schedule. Philly added one too many cooks in the kitchen with Vick, so I see McNabb folding down the stretch again. Hotlanta has a brutal schedule, so they'd most likely travel to Green Bay.

Ironically, the team on paper that appears to match up to Green Bay's weaknesses the best would be Minnesota, as they can stop the run and run the ball - Green Bay's primary weaknesses. However, they probably will lose their DT's at some point to suspension and their pass-blocking and receivers appear to be woefully inadequate, so they may not even make the playoffs.

I always view the Packers as unbiased as possible, but I see a minimum of 12 wins with a potential for 14. The only way this changes is if Rodgers misses games.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The most important game of the season is the Monday night game against the vikings. Thats where I politely disagree with most of the predictions on this thread. I don't care what our record is going into that game but that Monday night game is a must win for Green Bay. No matter what you think of Brett, that whole thing is out there. By winning that game we close the book on Brett and everyone can move on, including those die hard Brett Fans, and we win a major game on the road in the division early. That game will give us the confidence and swager the rest of the season. I would rather go 1-2 going into that game and win than be 3-0 and lose, even worse lose badly. If we lose that game we will finish no better than 9-7. Even with a 2-2 start (beating the vikings Monday Night) 11-5 and if we start off hot 13-3.

I predict we start off slowly and go into that Monday Night game with blood in our eyes and give the vikings a beating. We finish the season 11-5. Go Pack GO.

Members online

Latest posts