The Future Is Up in the Air for Green Bay Packers Running Back Ty Montgomery

What will the Packers do with Montgomery for next season?

• Cut ties, too many injuries

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Move him back to WR

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Keep him as a RB, three headed monster

Votes: 18 47.4%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 6794

I was really excited about his possibilities after last year but maybe its just he cant stay healthy and Mccarthy doesnt know how to use him.

It seems McCarthy knows how to use a running back capable of catching the ball out of the back field with Williams. Maybe a lot of fans had way too high expectations for Montgomery entering this season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Why are people talking about TyMo like he is a FA after the season. He will be on the roster next season. I've said he is not very durable from the beginning but he is talented and versatile. If anything it may be Cobb who won't be here with the pricetag he carries. It's Adams and Linsley who we need to worry about being resigned. They are huge parts of this team. Both will be targeted on the market. Adams will be 10mil per and Linsley at least 8mil per

Key post in this thread and I was waiting for someone to bring it up. Monty has one more year on his Rookie contract, he will be in the Packers Training camp. His Cap hit will be $880,137 next year and only $151,637 is dead cap money. His offseason workout bonus is $12K. He will be back (unless traded) and he will have to earn his spot somewhere, if not he will be cut. With Williams and Jones both showing some promise, move Monty back to WR and let him use that new body on smaller defenders.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Despite that he is over paid, I really like Cobb, as a WR, no longer as a RB. But with his mega contract running out at the same time as Monty's rookie contract (end of next season), I say give Monty a chance at slot, even as the #5 or #6 WR. I mean really, Jeff Janis should have one of those spots? His days in Green Bay are numbered. There is a spot for Monty in the WR group and IMO, he provides more versatility running the ball than Cobb, he will just need to work on and improve his WR skills a bit.

H

HardRightEdge

It seems McCarthy knows how to use a running back capable of catching the ball out of the back field with Williams. Maybe a lot of fans had way too high expectations for Montgomery entering this season.
My assessment coming into the season is that he runs high and exposes himself to injury, not unlike Starks.

You need two running backs on the game day roster. RB injury incidence is high, so you need three on the roster. Past mistakes of carrying only two at times seems to have been corrected. So, the question here is unclear except for the disposition of Mays in year 2.

Montgomery is not a wideout. He has trouble tracking deep balls. He could go back to slot. Or just consider him a RB/Slot swing man for position versatility. Any way you cut it, he'll be back at this price and it's up to him to win snaps somewhere.

D

Deleted member 6794

With Williams and Jones both showing some promise, move Monty back to WR and let him use that new body on smaller defenders. But with his mega contract running out at the same time as Monty's rookie contract (end of next season), I say give Monty a chance at slot, even as the #5 or #6 WR. I mean really, Jeff Janis should have one of those spots? His days in Green Bay are numbered. There is a spot for Monty in the WR group and IMO, he provides more versatility running the ball than Cobb, he will just need to work on and improve his WR skills a bit.

I definitely wouldn't mind the Packers moving Montgomery back to wide receiver as long as the team doesn't consider him a starting caliber player at the position and he has to fight for a roster spot in training camp.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling if he could just stay healthy this discussion would be all positive. Unfortunately when we drafted him I was concerned about his injury history but excited about his versatility. This 2018 season will be huge for him to prove what he is worth to the team. On a completely different note of Adams keeps balling out like he has I'm afraid he might price himself out of GreenBay!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have a feeling if he could just stay healthy this discussion would be all positive. Unfortunately when we drafted him I was concerned about his injury history but excited about his versatility. This 2018 season will be huge for him to prove what he is worth to the team. On a completely different note of Adams keeps balling out like he has I'm afraid he might price himself out of GreenBay!

The predicted market value of Adams is right around $53M for 5 years. Personally, I think he will get closer to $60M. Will be interesting to see if the Packers are even in the conversation.

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay...-to-sign-contract-worth-50-million--111838163

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Monty is definitely a keeper at 5 mil a yr...

5 mil a yr?!!!! Lol man no freaking way!! IMO he’s the third rb now, and he’s NEVER been healthy...ever! If anything, if you do resign him it’s if you plan on moving Cobb and you’re planning on using him as a full time wr and return guy. But No way on Gods green earth you give him 5 mil per year. I hope that was a joke Haha

D

Deleted member 6794

On a completely different note of Adams keeps balling out like he has I'm afraid he might price himself out of GreenBay!

The Packers have to re-sign Adams before the start of free agency next offseason in all circumstances.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers have to re-sign Adams before the start of free agency next offseason in all circumstances.

Agree. Adams will only be 25 (in 9 days), he still has at least 5 more great years in him. As much as some fans seemed to not like Adams in the past, he is going to be the one constant AR needs to have for the rest of his career. We can only hope TT sees it that way and doesn't project someone like Allison or Janis (tongue in cheek) as ready to take his place.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
My assessment coming into the season is that he runs high and exposes himself to injury, not unlike Starks.

You need two running backs on the game day roster. RB injury incidence is high, so you need three on the roster. Past mistakes of carrying only two at times seems to have been corrected. So, the question here is unclear except for the disposition of Mays in year 2.

Montgomery is not a wideout. He has trouble tracking deep balls. He could go back to slot. Or just consider him a RB/Slot swing man for position versatility. Any way you cut it, he'll be back at this price and it's up to him to win snaps somewhere.

Bingo. Imo, Montgomery should be a RB/Slot swing man. He covers two roster positions that way and frees up a spot that can be used somewhere else on the roster.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bingo. Imo, Montgomery should be a RB/Slot swing man. He covers two roster positions that way and frees up a spot that can be used somewhere else on the roster.

3rd RB, 4/5 WR. I do think he needs to see game time though. He isn't just a "backup". I see his most value being a 3rd down back/wr. Line him up in the backfield and put him in motion when it looks like he will draw a LB. Just don't hand him or Cobb the damn ball on 3rd/4th and short! If the defense is playing soft against the run, the guy can pick up yards.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope they are able to re-sign Adams & Linsley. If not, the train moves on without them. That’s life in the NFL.

I doubt anyone would have made your “all circumstances” comment two years ago except if they were referring to cutting him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I hope they are able to re-sign Adams & Linsley. If not, the train moves on without them. That’s life in the NFL.

Rodgers needs some decent WRs to throw to in order to perform at an elite level. The Packers receiving corps would be extremely thin if the team isn't able to re-sign Adams.

If he sees the market no doubt teams will throw 11-12 mil per. Teams like Dallas or Arizona come to mind. I would be for letting Burnett walk if that means signing Adams and Linsley.

The Packers have sufficient cap space to re-sign Adams, Burnett and Linsley.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5 mil a yr?!!!! Lol man no freaking way!! IMO he’s the third rb now, and he’s NEVER been healthy...ever! If anything, if you do resign him it’s if you plan on moving Cobb and you’re planning on using him as a full time wr and return guy. But No way on Gods green earth you give him 5 mil per year. I hope that was a joke Haha
That would be less than half what Cobb is making next year.....
Perry was injured constantly his rookie contract. Did that stop GB from giving him 12 mil a yr???

I think we offer him a respectable deal that gives him half what he could have made if he doesn't get injured, and continued to run like he did in 2016. 77 carries, 457 yds 5.9 ypc and 44 catches

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry was injured constantly his rookie contract. Did that stop GB from giving him 12 mil a yr???

I think we offer him a respectable deal that gives him half what he could have made if he doesn't get injured, and continued to run like he did in 2016. 77 carries, 457 yds 5.9 ypc and 44 catches
Perry got his contract due to playing very well in his contract year. Monty's arrow is currently pointing down..... but he does have one more year of his rookie contract to prove he can stay healthy. If he can make the team.... and that is not a given .... we will see next year how it shakes out.

D

Deleted member 6794

Perry received a one-year, $5 million prove-it deal after his rookie contract expired. With the Packers having Jones and Williams at running back there's no reason to offer Montgomery that kind of money though.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What also has to be considered is what Monty is expecting himself contract time. I would honestly throw him a prove it deal just like Perry for no more than 1M with a 250k bonus if he is active for at least 10 games. If he can stay on the field at any position then we can talk next season about some money. But he may find more money elsewhere and just walk.

I know we get choked up about our drafted players, but we can draft another Monty. We'll have to anyway when Jordy retires. If 2 out of our 3 rookie RBs can dress every game with Rip getting a touch from time to time I'm confident we can win games.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry received a one-year, $5 million prove-it deal after his rookie contract expired. With the Packers having Jones and Williams at running back there's no reason to offer Montgomery that kind of money though.
I feel Monty should play both wr and rb positions...
I like Williams, but I'm sold on Jones. Both together give GB a great duo for sure. So when they are healthy, #88 plays more wr. But when one gets it injured, we still have a great duo.
At wr, we most certainly need to keep Adams. Jordy might take a team friendly deal to finish his career here. Cobb will need to be convinced to take a pay cut since his production just hasn't been there... and this is where Monty comes back into play. I suspect we will lose Cobb, play Monty. And draft a wr early.

Members online

Latest posts