A Training Camp Battle is in Store For The Green Bay Packers Wide Receivers

If the Packers only carry five wrs this season, who will earn the last spot?

• Jeff Janis

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • DeAngelo Yancey

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Malachi Dupre

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Max McCaffrey

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping they cut price so he can move on ,his game improved and he's gonna be a big time player his level of play is good and he will keep improving ,ringo doesn't play nose so I'm wondering how can it be between he and ringo

??

Why would you want the Packers to cut a player that you think is going to be a big time player?

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree though, but if he does make the team, can they quickly find someone else to return kickoffs? He did fine his first season doing it, and maybe he is being told to return them from 5 yards deep for the practice or the blocking has been poor, but starting with the ball short of the 25 after every kickoff shouldn't happen.

I fully expect Janis to be the team's kickoff returner entering the season as Aaron Jones was the only other player to attempt one this preseason.

??

Why would you want the Packers to cut a player that you think is going to be a big time player?

You have to understand that Reese seems to be a Price fan first and foremost for some random reason.

Sky King

Reaction score
To me it looks like Janis return style is meant to take advantage of both his size and speed. He's not that shifty little water bug type and he is not prone to dancing from sideline to sideline. He barrels ahead full-speed to wherever the blocking scheme is designed to open a gap and he goes for it. If a seam opens up he could be gone in a hurry, or at least get the return out to the second level.

As someone had mentioned earlier, the coaches were probably going to have him return kicks that he would ordinarily down during the regular season. They may have wanted to sort through all the players that were auditioning for STs.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT is going to have to spend an earlier pick on a WR soon. He obviously can't find guys outside of the first few rounds who are capable of catching the ball, and I don't see the trio of Nelson/Cobb/Adams being around for very long.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
TT is going to have to spend an earlier pick on a WR soon. He obviously can't find guys outside of the first few rounds who are capable of catching the ball, and I don't see the trio of Nelson/Cobb/Adams being around for very long.

I take it you don't like Allison? Yes, taking a WR high in the draft might give you a better shot at an eventual good one, but by no means is it definitive that only WR's selected in the first few rounds is the end all beat all to having a great WR. But had the Packers used a first round pick on a WR last year or this year, when would he get playing time? I haven't seen an immediate need for a high pick on a WR in quite a few years, but maybe that day is coming?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I take it you don't like Allison? Yes, taking a WR high in the draft might give you a better shot at an eventual good one, but by no means is it definitive that only WR's selected in the first few rounds is the end all beat all to having a great WR. But had the Packers used a first round pick on a WR last year or this year, when would he get playing time? I haven't seen an immediate need for a high pick on a WR in quite a few years, but maybe that day is coming?
As a #4 or 5 WR, he looks promising enough. But as a guy who can be anything more than that, it just doesn't seem likely.

We just seem to be littered with possession receivers. I think we need a true slot who can separate with quickness in intermediate routes and have room to gain some YAC. Taywan Taylor is a guy who I really liked in this year's draft. Someone like Edelman, Cole Beasley, Jamison Crowder, etc. who just always seems to be open.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As a #4 or 5 WR, he looks promising enough. But as a guy who can be anything more than that, it just doesn't seem likely.

We just seem to be littered with possession receivers. I think we need a true slot who can separate with quickness in intermediate routes and have room to gain some YAC. Taywan Taylor is a guy who I really liked in this year's draft. Someone like Edelman, Cole Beasley, Jamison Crowder, etc. who just always seems to be open.

Edelman was a 7th round pick, Beasley an UDFA and Crowder a 4th rounder......just saying. So sometimes you have to be patient. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

While I agree the Packers will have to spend an early round draft pick on a wide receiver in the near future, possibly already next year, I fully expect Nelson, Cobb and Adams to be around through the 2018 season.

The Packers currently feature two WRs excelling in the slot in Nelson and Cobb.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree the Packers will have to spend an early round draft pick on a wide receiver in the near future, possibly already next year, I fully expect Nelson, Cobb and Adams to be around through the 2018 season.

The Packers currently feature two WRs excelling in the slot in Nelson and Cobb.
Nelson excels everywhere, but his age is concerning. Cobb doesn't get the separation of some of the other slot receivers that I named. He's honestly like a smaller Adams at this point. He can catch the ball in tight coverage, and gain YAC, but space has to be manufactured for him, rather than him creating his own through route separation.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe good to continue further camp battle discussions in this thread. I wanted to raise the question if you guys think its possible that even Cobb could be on the outside of the bubble at the end of camp, especially if some big FA at EDGE gets cut during final cuts? Considering we just made a three point attempt on WR? I know we don't really have another slot guy on the roster, but maybe Montgomery has a strong camp at his old position again?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think cobb finishes his contract but will be gone next season...unless he takes less. he's still pretty young...27. monty is a hybrid rb only now i believe.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe good to continue further camp battle discussions in this thread. I wanted to raise the question if you guys think its possible that even Cobb could be on the outside of the bubble at the end of camp, especially if some big FA at EDGE gets cut during final cuts? Considering we just made a three point attempt on WR? I know we don't really have another slot guy on the roster, but maybe Montgomery has a strong camp at his old position again?

Highly, highly doubt it.

I think Adams and Cobb are locks to be on the roster. Maybe some of these rookies look good, but they're also all pretty raw and need to be developed. We need the veteran presence, and ability of Adams and Cobb. They've both been there before and done it before. That's valuable.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think Cobb is going anywhere either. Graham is new at TE for the Packers and its going to take time for he and #12 to get on the same page, no need to add more confusion to the passing game by having 2 rookies lining up with Adams.

I like all 3 picks at WR, but it seems with the late round WR's, the Packers are a bit snake bitten in the success with them department.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think Monty is closer to the exit than Cobb is. At least this season. Then, they didn't draft a RB either.

Conan Troutman

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Cobb would have to look really bad in camp for that to happen and Monty would need a really stellar camp and preseason. And even then I wouldn't be sure. Clearly, if Gutekunst had any intention of cutting Cobb, he would've drafted a traditional slot receiver, if only to back up Monty. Maybe Moore can play some slot, but I doubt that's the plan. Clearly, the plan was not having to carry guys like Janis, Yancey, McCaffrey and Dupre any more.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Cobb is not going anywhere (this season). Neither is Ty Montgomery, as he is a RB now. I’m really surprised the Packers did not take a TE, because to my knowledge Jimmy Graham and Lance Kendricks are the only TE on the current roster, unless they have stock in Emmanuel Byrd’s production. No matter how the WR camp breaks down, Rogers has some serious weapons. This is my prediction for roster spots:

RB: Aaron Jones, Jamal Williams and Ty Montgomery (cut Davante Mayes)
TE: Jimmy Graham, Lance Kendricks (really can’t imagine they don’t find another serviceable TE)
WR: Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Marquez Valder, Geronimo Allison, J’Mon Moore, then St. Brown and Michael Clark on the bubble (one will be on the practice squad and one the active roster) and cut Trevor Davis
QB: Aaron Rodgers, DeShone Kizer, Joe Callahan (practice squad) and cut Brett Hundley

Now with these cuts, we could make a trade for future draft picks or serviceable OLBs/Edge or TE. Unfortunately, it’s very likely at least 1 #1 QB sustains a season ending injury by week 4. Maybe keep Hundley on the roster until this happens. Not many teams out there have as much QB depth as us. A team like the Bills, Miami or even Seattle could actually find value in a Hundley. Or a team might like what Trevor Davis brings to special teams (because honestly, I don’t).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Is Davis capable of playing a traditional slot position??

Capable, probably. Play it well...doubtful.

Only way I see Cobb being cut is if they need the Salary Cap AND they feel they have another player who can play close to Cobb's level. Bulaga is probably the better candidate to cut if they need cap space.

I like the 3 rookie WR's, but all the Packers did by drafting them was make a commitment to the future, probably 2019 and beyond. Given where all 3 were picked in the draft, I don't expect they quite have the skills yet to even push Allison out of a starting spot.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if Gutekunst had any intention of cutting Cobb, he would've drafted a traditional slot receiver
i think the traditional slot receiver thing is morphing away. more and more team's #1s are lining up there for match-up reasons. instead of having a sideline restrict their movement, lining up inside let's them go anywhere and usually against lesser quality defenders. cobb's ball skills/experience will keep him here this year but watch the short/quick guys get nudged out of the game for the tall/quick guys who used to line up outside.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Cobb was gonna be gone it would have happened in the draft or prior. No reason to let him go now.

Conan Troutman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think the traditional slot receiver thing is morphing away. more and more team's #1s are lining up there for match-up reasons. instead of having a sideline restrict their movement, lining up inside let's them go anywhere and usually against lesser quality defenders. cobb's ball skills/experience will keep him here this year but watch the short/quick guys get nudged out of the game for the tall/quick guys who used to line up outside.

That's interesting. I did notice that with Jordy but didn't realize that's a league wide trend. Maybe Moore actually was drafted with the slot in mind, he fits that profile to a T - good height, decent long speed and fantastic quickness/agility.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For all the excitement for these picks, I certainly hope they perform a hell of a lot better than last year. I failed to see any of the reason for such optimism last year. Everytime I saw those guys on the field I was like, "that's it?" Davis year 2, Dupre, McCaffery, all of them. Except Clark, and that was only a play or two. but outside of that, I didn't see anything from any of those guys that jumped out and said, "hey, pick me". I h0pe this year is different. The past 2 have been duds as far as WR hype and then play for the Packers outside of Jordy, Cobb, and Adams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts