The "forgotten" Packer

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tim Masthay . The less we see this guy the better..not because he's a bad punter but because the offense is moving. Packers are like + 13 in the turnover dept. so we don't give it away to often and I think that's a big part of winning big or winning close games. I used to give Aaron Rodgers a ton of flack for holding the ball to long but with all his greatness I think the most impressive thing about him is he's one of the leAst turnover prone qbs in history. It's funny how we go from having one of the most turnover prone qbs in history to a guy who's the complete opposite.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tim Masthay . The less we see this guy the better..not because he's a bad punter but because the offense is moving. Packers are like + 13 in the turnover dept. so we don't give it away to often and I think that's a big part of winning big or winning close games. I used to give Aaron Rodgers a ton of flack for holding the ball to long but with all his greatness I think the most impressive thing about him is he's one of the leAst turnover prone qbs in history. It's funny how we go from having one of the most turnover prone qbs in history to a guy who's the complete opposite.
I thought the forgotten Packer on this site was Brett Favre. No wait, I made a mistake. Brint is the most hated.

Happy Holidays!

Legalizeit

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the forgotten Packer on this site was Brett Favre. No wait, I made a mistake. Brint is the most hated.

Happy Holidays!

A choker of such magnitude is never forgotten.

As to Masthay, dude is a good player, really softens the blow from one of McCarthy's more boneheaded decisions in letting Ryan go.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A choker of such magnitude is never forgotten.

As to Masthay, dude is a good player, really softens the blow from one of McCarthy's more boneheaded decisions in letting Ryan go.

Yea TT and MM let one ginger go but hey at least they replaced him with another ginger haha. But seriously Ryan is one of the better punters in the league but I think if masthay punted more he'd be to. The bonehead choice was letting Rolle go..I see him almost every Sunday in Houston making a play. I like our secondary but Williams and House both are as good as gone IMO so Rolle would've been a big help come next year.

Legalizeit

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only Packer QB to have two SB rings other than Bart Starr. Jim McMahon.

Good to see you Raptor, I was on a board you were on a while ago but got booted for pointing out that most queenies HOFers retired ringless and dissatisfied. :D nice to see you around.

It really is something that McMahon was our backup in 96, always liked how he wore his Bears jersey when the 96 Pack went to the Whitehouse, he's nothing if not loyal!

D

Deleted member 6794

Tim Masthay . The less we see this guy the better..not because he's a bad punter but because the offense is moving.

The Packers have the fewest punts in the league this season in addition to having the fewest turnovers in the NFL. Masthay is an average punter, they have do a better job of not getting punts blocked though.

D

Deleted member 6794

The bonehead choice was letting Rolle go..I see him almost every Sunday in Houston making a play. I like our secondary but Williams and House both are as good as gone IMO so Rolle would've been a big help come next year.

Not sure it's a given Williams and House will depart in free agency but I was disappointed to lose Rolle as well. No other team would have picked up Goodson if Thompson would have put him on the practice squad.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Masthay isn't forgotten, he is just not used to do circumstances that are outside his control. Its a good problem to have. I think he does a great job. Hopefully we don't have to use him versus the Falcons do to Hester.

H

HardRightEdge

...Williams and House both are as good as gone IMO...
That ain't happening. That would leave one proven cover corner on the roster for a defense built around the secondary defending the pass.

Neither Hyde nor Hayward are cover corners. Neither are particularly fast, and neither are big enough or physical enough to compensate for the lack of speed. Hayward is a nickel corner who's somewhat of a liability in man coverage. Hyde is a nickel/safety swing man. These are not designations merely based on where they currently play; it's where their talents lie.

It's been proven that Bush doesn't belong on the field other than as a dime corner. Goodson looked pretty bad in preseason; we don't even know if he's an NFL football player let alone a cover corner.

This week it looks like House will get to build on his case for why re-signing Williams would be a poor value proposition cap-wise given Williams would command decent interest in free agency.

Letting both go commits to taking a cover corner high in the draft with the intent of having him start or spending some decent coin in free agency. That seems to be a needless cost or risk when House is getting more consistent and reliable while not likely being particularly expensive.

Given the anticipated cost, re-signing House should be a no-brainer if for no other reason than he'd be a relatively inexpensive backup at a critical position if he happened to lose the job in competition to a high pick. Heyward is an "only in a pinch" guy.

The only wrench in the works I can see is if House gets a couple of starts and plays shut-down. Then his free agency value goes up. Cover corners are in high demand. When you see Indy paying a guy like Walden 4 yrs. / $16 mil / $8 mil guaranteed to play 4-3 OLB, I hesitate to think what House might draw from a team in desperate need if he put up a couple of good games.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That ain't happening. That would leave one proven cover corner on the roster for a defense built around the secondary defending the pass.

Neither Hyde nor Hayward are cover corners. Neither are particularly fast, and neither are big enough or physical enough to compensate for the lack of speed. Hayward is a nickel corner who's somewhat of a liability in man coverage. Hyde is a nickel/safety swing man. These are not designations merely based on where they currently play; it's where their talents lie.

It's been proven that Bush doesn't belong on the field other than as a dime corner. Goodson looked pretty bad in preseason; we don't even know if he's an NFL football player let alone a cover corner.

This week it looks like House will get to build on his case for why re-signing Williams would be a poor value proposition cap-wise given Williams would command decent interest in free agency.

Letting both go commits to taking a cover corner high in the draft with the intent of having him start or spending some decent coin in free agency. That seems to be a needless cost or risk when House is getting more consistent and reliable while not likely being particularly expensive.

Given the anticipated cost, re-signing House should be a no-brainer if for no other reason than he'd be a relatively inexpensive backup at a critical position if he happened to lose the job in competition to a high pick. Heyward is an "only in a pinch" guy.

The only wrench in the works I can see is if House gets a couple of starts and plays shut-down. Then his free agency value goes up. Cover corners are in high demand. When you see Indy paying a guy like Walden 4 yrs. / $16 mil / $8 mil guaranteed to play 4-3 OLB, I hesitate to think what House might draw from a team in desperate need if he put up a couple of good games.
Nice problem to have though. I would think they might have already extended House's contract by now but they might not be convinced either. It will sort itself out. I wish they had Rolle.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Jon Ryan's one of the best in the league, he sure didn't play like it last night. Completely muffed one snap that led to an Eagles touchdown and line drived another punt. Sure the in-between of Ryan and Masthay was rough, but I'll take Masthay any day in the week. Doesn't turn it over, good leg strength and hang time to go with IMO one of the best directional/placement punters in the league.

He bests Ryan in average (45.5-44.2), net average (39.1-37.4), and has half the touchbacks (3-6) in roughly a third less punts (37-50).

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/punting/sort/grossAvgPuntYards

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Did he show up once in the Falcons game tonight? I know we had one punt, still glad we have him

Members online

Latest posts