The Favre pick on the rollout was an incredibly stupid call.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: The Favre pick on the rollout was an incredibly stupid c

tromadz said:
KGB94SACKEM said:
I totally agree! All the fake draws and crap just slowed everything down. I am almost sick over McCarthy's playcall

So McCarthy called the "roll out and throw it to urlacher" play?

lol

It was a designed rollout, bud. Thats bad playcall backed up in your own endzone with a older, not so mobile QB. Throw in the fact that they had no respect for our run, so any kind of PA was going to have no effect.
Spread them out and get in Shotgun. Get something quick or send the TE on a 5 yard out.

Terrible Call by McCarthy, bad execution by Favre, end of story

end of story... troll

I love people who come in a message board on Monday and tell everyone how stupid a play call was. Questioning individual play calls is so stupid i cant even express it. If that play works (its a 50/50 shot no matter what you think) MM is a genius and your not able to come on here and act like your smarter than an NFL coach. If it doesnt work MM is an idiot. Its so silly.

I wish someone on a message board was our coach rather than that idiot Mike McCarthy...

hindsight is 20/20

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score

KGB94SACKEM said:
tromadz said:
KGB94SACKEM said:
I totally agree! All the fake draws and crap just slowed everything down. I am almost sick over McCarthy's playcall

So McCarthy called the "roll out and throw it to urlacher" play?

lol

It was a designed rollout, bud. Thats bad playcall backed up in your own endzone with a older, not so mobile QB. Throw in the fact that they had no respect for our run, so any kind of PA was going to have no effect.
Spread them out and get in Shotgun. Get something quick or send the TE on a 5 yard out.

Terrible Call by McCarthy, bad execution by Favre, end of story

end of story... troll

I love people who come in a message board on Monday and tell everyone how stupid a play call was. Questioning individual play calls is so stupid i cant even express it. If that play works (its a 50/50 shot no matter what you think) MM is a genius and your not able to come on here and act like your smarter than an NFL coach. If it doesnt work MM is an idiot. Its so silly.

I wish someone on a message board was our coach rather than that idiot Mike McCarthy...

hindsight is 20/20

I guess you never expressed an opinion on a forum. I'm also not sure where the Troll thing came from. I'm talking about football on a forum designed for football discussion. You are talking about people who post on a forum designed for football discussion. If you don't like it don't read it.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the fact is your wrong...

its a generaly wrong statement to say a rollout starting at the 18 yard line is a bad play. its not a bad play call IF IT WORKS. If the D doesnt read it well that little play there can give you a quick 15 yards.

If we got in a 5 wr set, go shotgun and throw a quick slant and Tillman recognizes coverage jumps the route and has a 22 yard sprint into the endzone... is that a bad play call, or did it just go awry???

Every playcall is stupid, if it doesnt work.

hindsight is 20/20 man... dont come here denouncing the coaches moves when you cant do it better. being on the 18 yard line against the Chicago Bears has been a terrifying thing for teams for about 4 years now.... we as a TEAM played scared and conservative and Favre tried to make something happen... it didnt work. not a terrible call.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, I just put together that in one thread, KGB is calling out MM for not passing against the Bears enough in the 2nd half. That's fine.

In this one, he's calling out MM for calling a pass play against the Bears in the 2nd half. That's fine.

I just don't get what you want, broseph. You think the HC should call more passing plays, but only ones that don't result in an INT?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
The first INT was not because of the play that was called, it was Brett's fault.
The second INT was a hail mary, I suppose you could blame the coach for calling the play, but really it was a hail mary.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first INT was not because of the play that was called, it was Brett's fault.
The second INT was a hail mary, I suppose you could blame the coach for calling the play, but really it was a hail mary.

I agree with you, the last play of the game hardly even counts, and I've been talking all day about the 4 TO's, not 5 that this team made.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Ok, I just put together that in one thread, KGB is calling out MM for not passing against the Bears enough in the 2nd half. That's fine.

In this one, he's calling out MM for calling a pass play against the Bears in the 2nd half. That's fine.

I just don't get what you want, broseph. You think the HC should call more passing plays, but only ones that don't result in an INT?

KGB94SACKEM is not criticizing McCarthy for passing, he's criticizing him for calling a rollout. He even offered an alternative: "Spread them out and get in shotgun." There's no inconsistency in KGB's position.

Personally, I have no problem with the rollout as a playcall. Favre can still move outside of the pocket. You may not want to call that play as often as you used to, but it's fine once in awhile.

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a stupid throw by Favre But I still hate the roll out call, I hated it when it was called earlier in the year. The roll out practically eliminates half of the field for the defense to cover. Favre was something like 19 out of 20 (excluding spikes) staying in the pocket the first half. The spread formation with slant passes have been our bread and butter all year, the roll out plays called earlier in the season failed. It wasn't even a bootleg, it fooled no one.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packnic...for the most part I agree with your points because after most games, I'm saying exactly what you're saying...ppl tend to assess a play by whether or not it was successful, which can often be more a function of execution than the legitimacy of the call itself.

With that said, I still fault MM for completely ignoring his wrs in the 2nd half, the one thing that has worked really well for us all year.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
pack_in_black said:

KGB94SACKEM is not criticizing McCarthy for passing, he's criticizing him for calling a rollout. He even offered an alternative: "Spread them out and get in shotgun." There's no inconsistency in KGB's position.

Personally, I have no problem with the rollout as a playcall. Favre can still move outside of the pocket. You may not want to call that play as often as you used to, but it's fine once in awhile.

Thanks Greg, you nailed it.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
We have to keep the roll out. I think we use the roll out to help the OL, right? Isn't it easier for the OL to keep guys off Brett OR isn't it easier to keep the play lasting longer if Brett is rolling out?

One of Brett's strengths is rolling out and its partially because of his monstrous arm and also his passion to make something out of nothing, which also makes some of us Packer fans yank are hair out.

On a side note, I don't think this game makes us change a lot. We got some flashes of a running game, that was good. Jones put the ball on the turf a couple times, but remember this Bear defense is notorious for creating turnovers. Remember last year? The Bear defense creating turn overs so much helped outweigh their ignoramus of a QB, Grossman.
The strip from Woodson, it happens. Again the Bear defense is a turn over machine.

Other than (obviously) working on ball security and focus to stop the bonehead penalties, I think the only thing I want to see changed for next week is to play to WIN, not play to not lose. It was literally night and day between the two halves. The Bears didn't do much different, it was the Packers who stopped doing what got them to 4 - 0.

Next week, keep the ball in your hands, don't make foolish fouls and don't be scared to open up the offense.

The above post is primarily based on my opinion.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Greg C. said:
pack_in_black said:

he did offer an alternative, but that could have gone just as sour had Favre threw a dart and Tillman or Vasher jumped the route and took it home for 6. Then someone would be on here today screaming about why we didnt run the ball that deep in our own territory, or why the hell MM was relying on the same play calls too much. Its just silly.

he made a play call that could have worked just as easily as it didnt work. Had brett gotten that pass up and over the two backers... and james jones released a little better... that play could have gone for 20 yards because 8 of 11 defensive players were near the line of scrimmage. So instead of saying we shouldnt have called a rollout... you say... we should have executed the rollout better.

That designed rollout can work anywhere and it gives Brett more time which is KEY especially when the Chicago Bears have you pinned on your goalline.! it was by no means a terrible call.

I mean i too think MM should have gone more pass happy in the second half... I think he played scared or tenative and we suffered. But an individual play call is whatever the team makes of it.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm w/ greg...bad play call or not, a 17 year vet needs to know better in that situation. bears weren't moving the ball at all, and he gave them a freebee at the 20 rather than after a punt at the Chi 40.

Favre has been phenomenal all year, but evil brett popped out of his shell on that one

Welcome to my world. Our quarterback is in his second year and continues to make stupid mistake after stupid mistake. He will never be a Brett Favre. I would be suprised if he lasts in the NFL after next season. Everyone says give him a chance, he is young. But, one would expect to see at least flashes of great play, even one pass would satisfy me for a week. He misses open receivers and throws the ball up for grabs when under pressure.

I was pulling for the Pack Sunday night and was disappointed that they gave the game away. Not nearly as disappointed as you Packer fans. But, you are 4-1, that is still a great start. If Buffalo would not have let the Cowboys off the hook last night you would still be in the drivers seat.

Members online

Latest posts