The clearest explanation of the Packers place in the NFL

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Journal-Sentinel's "Packer Insider" is free to all for a few more days, so I assume it's like their other stuff now...free to distribute. This is Cliff Christl's "Insider" column and it helps to explain the system.

Pack66 and a couple others should pay close attention...
------

Cliff Christl

By splitting the general manager and coaching duties, the Green Bay Packers might function better as an organization. They might draft better. They probably appeased legions of fans.

But don

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The kicker here - is he forgoes the mentality that Belicheck has secured THREE SUPERBOWLS with and how he's gotten his Players to hang around, even when bigger $$$$ was available elsewhere....

It's the mindset - the kool-aid, if you will, that's gotten the Pats to keep their Team together to become (what).. a Dynasty..............? Think about it - he flows right past this issue, totally. It's also a way to talk to Players and get them to hang around for the big push - NO ONE remembers players who are greedy.. not in the long run.... it's those SuperBowls they all remember.... Once Players get that... and it ain't rocket-science, either - then, the chances of getting "past the System" are pretty damn good - as Tom Brady can attest to.....

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will catch up with the Pats, too. They are still good, but there are a few teams in the AFC that can drill them, and a couple from the NFC.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good article...the Packers and Packer fans have been extremely fortunate and "spoiled" to have 13 straight non-losing football seasons. I hope we never have to go back to the ways of the 70's and 80's where winning 4 or 5 games in a season was good enough. The bar has been set high and I hope it remains there. Reality sets in though and tells me that not every season is going to have the Packers on top of their division and competing for the Super Bowl, that's for sure.

G

net said:
It will catch up with the Pats, too. They are still good, but there are a few teams in the AFC that can drill them, and a couple from the NFC.

Obviously Green Bay is not one of them.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the excellent article, net. Maybe the moral of the story is that if you are going to build a contender, don't start with the offense. Those high-profile offensive players eat up too much cap space. Also, these teams may make too many reaches for defensive players in the draft, resulting in bad picks--in which case Thompson's approach of taking the best player available, regardless of need, may be a step in the right direction.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
The kicker here - is he forgoes the mentality that Belicheck has secured THREE SUPERBOWLS with and how he's gotten his Players to hang around, even when bigger $$$$ was available elsewhere....

It's the mindset - the kool-aid, if you will, that's gotten the Pats to keep their Team together to become (what).. a Dynasty..............? Think about it - he flows right past this issue, totally. It's also a way to talk to Players and get them to hang around for the big push - NO ONE remembers players who are greedy.. not in the long run.... it's those SuperBowls they all remember.... Once Players get that... and it ain't rocket-science, either - then, the chances of getting "past the System" are pretty damn good - as Tom Brady can attest to.....
What the Patriots have done is pretty damn impressive. It is not just the rings but the way they have gone about it. I can not whip up any animosity towards them at all. From the ownership down to the 3rd stringer players, that is a perfectly run football team. :thumbsup:

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
tromadz said:
this GUEST guy sure is a ****.

heh.

that was Steel Wheels latest account. after we delete it, the posts appear as "Guest".

Why is that though? I thought you could delete his IP address so he couldn't logon under any username? Is he signing up with new internet providers every week just so he can logon to the forum?

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
arrowgargantuan said:
tromadz said:
this GUEST guy sure is a ****.

heh.

that was Steel Wheels latest account. after we delete it, the posts appear as "Guest".

Why is that though? I thought you could delete his IP address so he couldn't logon under any username? Is he signing up with new internet providers every week just so he can logon to the forum?

Would you put it past that twit? Though I'm guessing it's one of those "proxy" things.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miami had a pretty good run as they were successful for a long time. They never got extreme with the cap to "go for it all in one year" and pay the consequences later. Miami went along around 10-6 making the playoffs annually. Most of that time Marino was there.

The Packers sure spent money trying to develope a defense.

I do not like the current tone. This era is not over. It is not history.

Why is this different than the Playoff loses to 49'ers in 98, Rams, or Falcons at Lambeau? Is it because the Vikings are not good? The drafting of Rodgers?

Brett is still playing, the Packers will be in the playoffs, and once there anything can happen-even a 4th and 26.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
Miami had a pretty good run as they were successful for a long time. They never got extreme with the cap to "go for it all in one year" and pay the consequences later. Miami went along around 10-6 making the playoffs annually. Most of that time Marino was there.

The Packers sure spent money trying to develope a defense.

I do not like the current tone. This era is not over. It is not history.

Why is this different than the Playoff loses to 49'ers in 98, Rams, or Falcons at Lambeau? Is it because the Vikings are not good? The drafting of Rodgers?

Brett is still playing, the Packers will be in the playoffs, and once there anything can happen-even a 4th and 26.
You don't really think these Pundits want people to "think back" about the history of the Green Bay Packers do you...? The idea is to drive the Pack into the ground.. like it was in the early 80's.... I remember when Reggie White signed with the Pack - they all thought he had thrown his career away... - But, then he put out the call and other Players answered.... THAT really ticked off the Sports Controllers.. in the Press. They've been pissed ever since!

Members online

Latest posts