1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Charles Woodson effect..

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by rodell330, Dec 14, 2015.

1. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,293
    Still one of the best safeties in the league and making plays. I'm curious to see how MM and Rodgers plan to attack the middle of the field with him roaming around on the back end. With really no speed at TE to stretch the seems vertically I'm sure he's licking his chops to pick Rodgers off.

2. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,908
    I don't recall all the details as to why the Packers let Charles walk in FA (probably money) but I really miss his leadership and play making ability. I always thought he was THAT GUY that just made a defense better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Half Empty

Half Empty Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +663
    Age = big factor, even then.

4. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +562
    With them being old teammates I'm sure Woodson will be dying to pick Rodgers off just for the competition between themselves. Though I'm sure he'd much rather be stuck with picking off his other former quarterbacks like Rich Gannon or maybe Matt Flynn next week compared to Rodgers. We miss you Woodson, but you'll definitely have your work cut out for you:tup:

5. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,293
    Apparently not as big of a factor as TT made it. Look at his stats this year compared to the younger HaHa or Morgan Burnett....as a matter of fact look at our safety production since Woodson was released ...his stats are significantly better than Burnett,Haha, or whoever else has been back there.

6. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +636
    He wanted too much money and his play as a converted safety didn't look too promising at first.

• Like Like x 1
  7. C-Lee

C-Lee Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +361
    Yeah, he wanted too much money, but we should have paid him.

Oh well. Still love him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Half Empty

Half Empty Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +663
    Question was why they let him go. Don't think anyone looks back on it now as a good decision.

9. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,293
    Nope, because it wasn't. Woodson could do it all. We don't have a guy like that on the back end. Haha can be a good player but Woodson took advantage of qbs mistakes 99% of the time. Haha literally should have 4 ints right now and I'll NEVER forget his blunder on the 2 point conversion last year in Seattle smh. And Burnett? Well he calls the secondary adjustments . That's all I really count on him for. Don't be shocked if you see Randall at Safety with Rollins and Shields manning the corner. Randall could be the ball hawk we need back there.

10. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,787
    and at the time there was hardly a soul saying it wasn't the right decision to let him go either. From his highlights this year, he looks like he's as good as he's ever been. Watching him his last season here, he was a step slow on so many plays it was fairly obvious he wasn't going to be back.

11. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,922
    No reason Haha or Burnett should be replaced with Randall, especially with Randall becoming a stud at corner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Hindsight is great. As I’ve posted before, we’d all be great GMs if we could go back in time knowing what we know today. Don’t get me wrong, I wish the Packers would have retained Woodson’s services in 2013 (the names M.D. Jennings and Jerron McMillian still send a chill up my spine) but at the time the decision was anything but clear-cut. According to a jsonline story, here’s what Woodson’s contract called for in 2013:
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/agent-hoping-packers-keep-woodson-gi8lqql-189954001.html

Also keep in mind contract extensions had to be done for Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews in the spring of 2013. And more important than that, IMO some here need to be reminded of the context of Woodson’s career during that off season. Keep in mind he was going to be 37-years old in October of that year and here’s part of a jsonline story written at the end of January 2013:
    In addition to a recurring injury for a 36-year old:
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...y-question-for-packers-pk8grn7-188934491.html

One thing that made Woodson great was his instincts which led to his freelancing, playmaking ability. But since Woodson had to switch back to safety, Darren Perry expressed a concern about the need for greater discipline at the safety position. Put it all together: A soon to be 37 year old player who looked to be declining “just” had his collar bone broken again; a huge money and cap expenditure on Rodgers and Matthews, and concerns about whether or not Woodson would be disciplined enough to start at safety full time. But here’s the mistake I think the Packers made: Certainly they weren’t going to keep his current contract intact but they should have waived him and told him to bring back the best offer he received in UFA. That deal was about a $4.3M one-year contract with less than a $1M signing bonus. Matching that would have given the Packers insurance at the spot opposite Burnett. But hindsight is 20/20: what if Woodson would have suffered another broken collar bone in 2013?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,908
    Woodson always seemed to have a knack for finding the ball as well as forcing turnovers. If I am reading his stats correct, as a Packer he forced 15 fumbles and intercepted 38 balls in his 7 years in GB. Those are amazing numbers and ones we are definitely lacking from the current defense. Even yesterday, our star on defense, Clay Matthews came in almost blind on the QB and although he made a nice sack, he had a free shot at trying to knock the ball loose, but seemed to choose the crunching tackle instead.

Woodson was just an amazing instinctual player who also brought that energy to the other 10 guys on the field as well as the team.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/1442/charles-woodson

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Notso

Notso Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +19
    One of the painful truths of draft & develop is that it's better to let a guy go a year too early than a year too late. In Woodson's case, it ended up being several years too early but nobody could have seen that coming. The man has simply defied the aging process. I can't fault Thompson for this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. red4tribe

red4tribe Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +437
    Woodson is an all time great player, no doubt. I certainly miss his ability to force turnovers.

That being said, while I have paid almost zero attention to the Raiders this year, I did browse one of their fan forums. Seems like they're saying that while Woodson is still getting the turnovers he has lost a lot of speed and has been beaten down the field a number of times. Not surprising that he relies more on instinct than speed now, given his age.

16. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,787
    He did, I loved the guy and still do. One of my favorite football players of all time, but at the time, there wasn't a lot of question about letting him go or keeping him for 10 million a year. He was upper 30's, and had broken his collar bone for the 2nd time and missed half the season. His last year for us, he dropped from 7 INT's to 1, had 1 FF and his average tackles per game dropped from the mid teens to 3.

He seems to have rebounded nicely in Oakland and I'm happy as hell for him. Very hardworker, and he deserves it, but there's no way he was a 10 million dollar a year player for us when we let him go, leadership or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +420
    Wouldn't mind if Packers put up a huge lead, like 40, and in the fourth give Woodson a Pick 6 for the record books. Not a fan of how Strahan got the record yet would make an exeption for Woodson he is one heck of a player.

18. Sky King

Sky King Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +962
    Woodson had trouble keeping his legs under him during that last season he played here. The intellect was able to keep up just fine but the legs wouldn't always cooperate.

Even at that he would easily have outplayed M.D. Jennings had he been retained for at least another year. But, then again, who couldn't?

19. Jerellh528

Jerellh528 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +78
    I miss him. Definatley one of my all time favorite packers. He was a definite leader and playmaker on this defense for the entire duration here. Nothing but respect for him. Wish he didn't get injured during the Super Bowl so he could've played the whole game. Same with driver.

20. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    http://totalpackers.com/charles-woodson-may-be-open-to-renegotiating-his-deal/
    This article from the week before Woodson was released quotes his agent as saying:
    Most agreed that he had lost a step and questioned whether he had the size for safety. Then his agent says 'if you guarantee the money, we're listening.' I doubt that TT and MM wanted to commit guaranteed money to a gamble at safety. Woodson made the decision clearer for the Packers.

21. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    charles is top 5 in my favorite packers of all time and I agreed with letting him go at the time. I am happy to see him getting numbers in Oakland.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Packerlifer

Packerlifer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +517
  23. Half Empty

Half Empty Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +663
    With a lead like that, AR would most likely be on the bench, anyhow, but he definitely wouldn't be amenable to throwing a pick, even for the right cause. :)

24. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,787
    Don't cheapen any record. It's still one of my least favorite memories of one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game. and I feel badly for Strahan because he had nothing to do with it, yet his name will always be associated with it. I'm sure he'd have rather earned it, and he was good enough to do it too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Sunshinepacker

Sunshinepacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +733
    Why can't anyone understand that Charles Woodson isn't any good because he's over 30!!!! It's impossible for players over 30 to be any good!