The case that Aaron Rodgers is playing himself into the MVP conversation

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'd like to credit Green and Gold for giving me the idea to really dive into the numbers.

I probably should wait until after the Dallas game to really get a good idea of where he stands with Dak being towards the top, but just taking a look at his numbers with todays performance:

He now leads the league in touchdown passes with 32 (add 3 rushing TD's for 35 total)

His completion percentage is now north of 65%.

Only 7 interceptions.

Over 3,500 yards with 3 games to go. And he also has around 300 rushing yards. He'll certainly have more when the season is over with. He didn't have over 300 rushing yards in either of his MVP seasons (11, 14)

He's 4th in total QBR at 77, that will certainly go up with today's throwing clinic. His passer rating of 98.5 will certainly move to above 100 for the season with today's 150.8.

Now, also take into consideration the way that he has played since week 7. A lot of times what is taken into consideration is how do you finish the season? In Rodgers' case, since week 7, he's thrown 22 TD's to 3 interceptions, completing 68 percent of his passes and has had a passer rating of 100+ in 6 of those 8 games. He's also thrown for 2,359 yards in that stretch, all of these numbers if I am not mistaken are best in the NFL over that stretch, maybe with exception to the passer rating. - Check that, Dak has had more 100+ passer rating games over the last 8.

So with this being said, I clearly feel as if he has played his way into the conversation. Not that he is necessarily the front runner. This will be contingent on:

1. His health
2. If he continues this great play
3. If he gets us to the postseason

If so, I think he's at least a top 3 consideration.

So I guess my question is, do you agree that he is in the conversation? And if so, where would you rank him among the other candidates? Me personally, I currently have Dak, and Ryan ahead of him.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Great research. I agree with you that Rodgers & Ryan are the top contenders, but, disagree on Prescott.

In Dallas, the O-line is the MVP. They can throw any RB in there and pound the rock. Prescott is the beneficiary of what happens in Dallas, he is not the catalyst.

In GB and Atlanta however, the QB's are the driving force of those teams. Ryan does have the elite WR though, so, it is more of a two-man combo thing in ATL.

In Titletown Rodgers is simply forcing the Packers to win right now. The Packers have a very uneven rushing attack, a so-so defense and a below average special teams unit. Nevertheless, he called for them to run the table, and it might just happen...that is MVP locker room leadership right there.

I'm far from unbiased, but, I'm going to predict Rodgers wins the MVP if they go 10-6 and make the playoffs.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Great research. I agree with you that Rodgers & Ryan are the top contenders, but, disagree on Prescott.

In Dallas, the O-line is the MVP. They can throw any RB in there and pound the rock. Prescott is the beneficiary of what happens in Dallas, he is not the catalyst.

In GB and Atlanta however, the QB's are the driving force of those teams. Ryan does have the elite WR though, so, it is more of a two-man combo thing in ATL.

In Titletown Rodgers is simply forcing the Packers to win right now. The Packers have a very uneven rushing attack, a so-so defense and a below average special teams unit. Nevertheless, he called for them to run the table, and it might just happen...that is MVP locker room leadership right there.

I'm far from unbiased, but, I'm going to predict Rodgers wins the MVP if they go 10-6 and make the playoffs.
Believe me, I'm allergic to giving any Dallas Cowboys player credit unless absolutely necessary. And I certainly agree with your assessment on why he is able to perform the way that he is. He has the incredible benefit of having an elite offensive line, and an elite running back, but still and all, the numbers are highly impressive.

19 TD's to 3 picks (threw one a little while ago in the Giants game), has only had 2 games without a 100+ passer rating, leads the league by far in QBR, and his team has the best record in the NFL.

Rodgers has him in volume of stats, though. Considerably more TD's, considerably more passing yards, etc. And Rodgers' team is far more reliant upon great QB play than Dak's.

These last 3 games will be interesting.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would absolutely love to see this happen, but I feel like the media has been too negative on AR12 this year just to flip the script like that.

The sad part is he already deserves it. This team might have 3 wins without him. He is the most valuable player in football.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
If Rodgers continues playing at the pace he has played the past several games, and on top of that we do win out and make the playoffs, I don't see how he can't be in serious contention for his 3rd MVP.

He has the team on his shoulders.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has been playing much better lately but Prescott has been playing awesome all season long.

And frankly, I'd much rather see Rodgers get another SB MVP than just the regular season one.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers plays the last three games like the past three (or from week 7 actually) then yeah he should probably be considered. Of course it all depends on how well the other candidates play as well. He is not the front runner now and unless one of them stumbles I don't see how he could pass them.

As far as Dallas goes I don't really see how if you have two players up for MVP consideration it can be either one. Both Prescott and Elliot are playing lights out but I think the benefit greatly from each other although I think Prescott is benefiting a bit more from Zeke than the other way around.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd like to credit Green and Gold for giving me the idea to really dive into the numbers.

I probably should wait until after the Dallas game to really get a good idea of where he stands with Dak being towards the top, but just taking a look at his numbers with todays performance:

He now leads the league in touchdown passes with 32 (add 3 rushing TD's for 35 total)

His completion percentage is now north of 65%.

Only 7 interceptions.

Over 3,500 yards with 3 games to go. And he also has around 300 rushing yards. He'll certainly have more when the season is over with. He didn't have over 300 rushing yards in either of his MVP seasons (11, 14)

He's 4th in total QBR at 77, that will certainly go up with today's throwing clinic. His passer rating of 98.5 will certainly move to above 100 for the season with today's 150.8.

Now, also take into consideration the way that he has played since week 7. A lot of times what is taken into consideration is how do you finish the season? In Rodgers' case, since week 7, he's thrown 22 TD's to 3 interceptions, completing 68 percent of his passes and has had a passer rating of 100+ in 6 of those 8 games. He's also thrown for 2,359 yards in that stretch, all of these numbers if I am not mistaken are best in the NFL over that stretch, maybe with exception to the passer rating. - Check that, Dak has had more 100+ passer rating games over the last 8.

So with this being said, I clearly feel as if he has played his way into the conversation. Not that he is necessarily the front runner. This will be contingent on:

1. His health
2. If he continues this great play
3. If he gets us to the postseason

If so, I think he's at least a top 3 consideration.

So I guess my question is, do you agree that he is in the conversation? And if so, where would you rank him among the other candidates? Me personally, I currently have Dak, and Ryan ahead of him.

There´s absolutely no doubt Rodgers has played at an elite level over the last seven games. He only leads the league in touchdown passes over the period though as he´s ranked third in passer rating (Mariota, Cousins) and passing yards (Cousins, Brees) as well as fifth in completion percentage (Brees, Bradford, Tannehill, Brady). In my opinion there´s no reason to include him in the MVP conversation as he hasn´t performed well over the entire season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
MVP or not, I am just happy to see AR having fun out there again and playing like the FHOF QB we all know. I watched him quite a bit out there yesterday and he was in obvious pain throughout most of the game, but he kept his game face on all 4 quarters on or off the field and just shredded a pretty good Seattle defense. No matter who wins the MVP award, if the Packers keep winning while AR continues to play hurt and at the level he has been, he gets my vote for the 1 player that was bound and determined to carry his team on his back and did.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the front runner right now should be Elliott. I think Rodgers would have a tough time cracking my top 5 right now.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-candidate-rodgers-packers-dismantle-seahawks

Stafford is now getting mentioned.. Eight 4th q come backs.. That's impressive..

Carr has slipped out from his performance vs kc.

Brady has slipped too..

Both cowboy players last 2 weeks haven't done anything

I've seen Stafford's name mentioned several weeks ago already. Mainly it was because of his performance without C. Johnson that got noticed probably more so than the comebacks but now that the comebacks are starting to pile up like cord wood they have become the focus, and perhaps rightly so. If Carr's performance against KC can cause him to slip how can you count Rodgers in with his poor performances early in the year. Several bad performances early on don't matter but 1 bad performance later in the year does? That doesn't make sense to me. I'm up in the air about Brady but the 3-1 without him probably takes him out of the running IMO although Gronk is the only other star they really have and they have been winning without him so maybe there is something to it. I already made my feelings know on Prescott and Elliot. If two guys are considered it really can't be either one.

In my mind right now it's Matt Ryan's to lose with Carr and Stafford Second and third but my dark horse would be David Johnson from Arizona. The only thing keeping him out of serious consideration is the Cardinal's record.

Like I said earlier though, if Rodgers can keep it up for the next three weeks and the Packers do win out and make the playoffs he would have to at least be considered.

Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers passed D Carr, R Wilson, M Stafford and Andrew Luck in passing yards.. we also know he is #1 in the entire league in scoring (which is the key ingredient in winning)
If he continues this pace he'll have 40+ TDs and 4,300 yards (not including all-purpose rushing TDs and yardage) and will rank top 3 or better in passer rating.
If we make the NFC Championship game after being 4-6 and counted out.. he should be MVP,PBS, NBC, ABC, CBS and winner of whatever other awards there are

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Aaron Rodgers passed D Carr, R Wilson, M Stafford and Andrew Luck in passing yards.. we also know he is #1 in the entire league in scoring (which is the key ingredient in winning)
If he continues this pace he'll have 40+ TDs and 4,300 yards (not including all-purpose rushing TDs and yardage) and will rank top 3 or better in passer rating.
If we make the NFC Championship game after being 4-6 and counted out.. he should be MVP,PBS, NBC, ABC, CBS and winner of whatever other awards there are

Still bench him :whistling:

Members online

Latest posts